• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

"Fun" in Safe Haven

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Over the past few weeks a friend of mine has been extolling the benefits of Siege Perilous to me. "How helpful people are there, the tight knit player community, etc." "Sure there are occasional reds, but that's relatively rare". I decided to take him up on his offer to provide me with a nest egg there, enough to buy a decent size home so I would have some place to live.

I did a bit of research on Stratics and online and saw the name Safe Haven come up on occasion. I started a character, and after a bit more research and some scouting, I found a place for a 10x14 plot just on the outskirts of the town, right between the road and the mountains. "Most excellent", I thought to myself. Off to a good start.

This last Wednesday, I had a few minutes to get on before I had to turn in for the night and I decided to get on my SP character and go to a place I found on VS to get a full spellbook. Took off from my house to go to the community hub to get to the vendor location and came across a couple of blue characters right at the crossroads. The next thing I know is "So and so #1 is attacking you". I stopped, stood there a moment and died. I watched a few seconds as a ghost and saw the character messaging on General Chat. I said in chat "I guess it's not so safe in Safe Haven. His response was that it really was safe there, that he didn't loot me and he was just having some "fun". It looked like maybe a few friends were just playing around and I got caught up in the turmoil. I found a wandering healer, rezzed, and immediately received the message "So and so #2 is attacking you". This one turned their dragon on me and I immediately died of course. I only stayed a few minutes since it was late, but made my way back to town, rezzed and logged.

On my next opportunity, I returned to the area, took a look around and was surprised to see that So and so #1 owns one of the castles right in the center of the community. I guess this surprised me in that I expected the players that attacked me to be outsiders. I returned to my house, demolished it, returned all the gold my friend gave me plus 1000gp I got as a new player.

I'm not sure why I feel disillusioned. I've been PKed many times prior to Trammel and in Felucca before and didn't even lose anything this time except the clothes I was wearing, but I see no reason to ever return. I guess I just wasn't expecting to be PKed in a place that purports to be a "Safe Haven" by someone that apparently is a member of the community the makes that assertion.

VinnySP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure it was I that killed you. It was supposed to be in fun as usually after your "welcome" to siege death a conversation in sues and me trying to see what you need for your characters. That night, was just a fluke.
We had a new guild and tags, the other folks with the dragon thought we were affiliated with a different guild on the shard and they don't like them. I died, was looted as well as a friend that was there with me. The whole thing was alil messed up. We all got our stuff back and sadly you were in the mix when that all went down. I do believe you over reacted alil, it is Siege Perilous after all but your entitled to your feelings.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah ya'll littered my side yard with your corpses! ;)

Sorry to the OP that felt that Safe Haven is supposed to be safe....no where is *safe* on Siege....just remember that and you'll be fine.

Most of the players here are SUPER nice....I was watching the battle from the safety of my house ;) Stuff like that will happen, often! And you just have to remember that it is, in fact, a game...and it is, in fact...Siege....where you can die anywhere at any time....BUT the players here will help you get on your feet, help with gear and what not..just shout out in gen chat. Put your house back up and give it another try, you won't be sorry...and don't take dying so seriously!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, even though I'm a huge proponent of bringing folks over from prodo and getting them started, this might be a case of "it's for the best". I was online that night, Vinny was just goofing around until he got attacked, if that hasn't happened he would have had a chance to talk with you and get you started. Not two weeks ago we picked up a guy in the same spot and gave him 1.3 mil gold. If you getting killed one time was enough to scare you off, honestly Siege isn't for you. I don't mean that in a bad way, it isn't for everyone. Maybe at some point you will feel differently and try again, but Siege is specifically designed to be closer to what UO was originally like. You ever want to try again, let us know. I mean, we'll kill you for sure. But then we will rez you, give you some goodies, and send you on your way.

Entheeya

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like Safe Haven. Every time I go through I get ganked by 3 or 4 black wisps....
If ya decide to try Siege again, get into chat and join the noob guild that will give ya
a month or so before you become *fresh meat* ...... Milky ........

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Safe Haven is not safe. Its a myth. Just make yourself a stealther and you will be safe :gee:

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry about your experience Haidon. I did think your post had a lot of careful and well-meaning text, not an "I died and quit" sentiment.

Perhaps someday you will return as a Savage and we shall reclaim that territory as kin ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Haidon, I'm sorry for your bad start. I believe I need to remind some of the Safe Haven Citizens about the rules for the town. I hope you will give Siege and Safe Haven a chance more.
I will ask Citizen and others to not kill around the Hub as it is meant to be a public service to ger more to the town and a place for young crafters too.

Don't give up so easy

Sargatanza

Journeyman
Yeah, even though I'm a huge proponent of bringing folks over from prodo and getting them started, this might be a case of "it's for the best". I was online that night, Vinny was just goofing around until he got attacked, if that hasn't happened he would have had a chance to talk with you and get you started. Not two weeks ago we picked up a guy in the same spot and gave him 1.3 mil gold. If you getting killed one time was enough to scare you off, honestly Siege isn't for you. I don't mean that in a bad way, it isn't for everyone. Maybe at some point you will feel differently and try again, but Siege is specifically designed to be closer to what UO was originally like. You ever want to try again, let us know. I mean, we'll kill you for sure. But then we will rez you, give you some goodies, and send you on your way.
Hahaha, when i get started, i was given 20k in order to stand up, prices get grow ;)
Mr Haidon You really think that the Pacific Ocean really "pacific"?

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I agree, give it another shot. I've just returned to uo bout 3 months ago and only play siege for that pre-tram flavor of play lol. Mind you I'm purely pvm. Only have gotten pked once in all that time. Also, safe haven has newly appointed a counsel and we're definitely listening to you about this. I agree with Freja, we hope you'll give it another shot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ol'Rac Nnod

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Also, the one and only time I got killed and rez killed n dry looted, like you it was just bad timing lol... I got caught up in someone else's affair in SH. I spoke with FrejaSP, she is the mayor and it all got sorted out lol. Btw, the same bloody guy that whacked me, helped me a week earlier lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tectop

Journeyman
I have only been playing there a couple weeks and everyone I ha e talked to has been very nice.I did join the NOOB guild .I have not got out and about much ,just spending my time working a few skills .The biggest problem I see is making gold to just buy the basics but I am determined to start building my bank account. May I ask ,where is this place located called "Safe Haven"
Thanks

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
making gold shouldn't be a problem, not even when your skills are low. Just kill monsters and loot them instead of beating on a wolf spider like they do on prodo.
warrior skills: use mongbats at glow gate until you hit 40, then go to yew graveyard or outside covetous lvl 3 and kill skeletons until you reach 70 (RoT!). From there you can kill earth elementals until you hit above 100 and if you have trouble getting gains beyond gm try hitting a balron. Collect the gold of monsters you kill and by the time you hit RoT you'll have around 50k or more.
alternatively you can go to dungeon blackthorn and go to the room with giant rats and vampire bats. These will take you from 0 skill to 70 (and above theoretically) and you can again make gold and get 2-3 blackthorn artifacts while getting your skills up. The artifacts can be sold or stored for later use. Fair warning: PKs check down there quite often, so make sure your drop off loot every now and then. Also you might wanna have a way of healing yourself. JoaT dog form will do to keep you alive by the way.

For the mages it's basically the same thing, the only difference being you need a lrc suit, arcane clothing or regs. If you have no money at all arcane clothing will take you a long way. Just farm up some arcane gems so you can refill the arcane robes and boots and keep casting and looting.

Of course this is nothing high end but you're starting over, so take what you can get. Make gold while training!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Safe Haven is a player town at East Crossroad. It had never really been safe but in old days, we had player guards. Most of them was red as some of the attackers of citizens, shop owners, customers and other visitors was blue as reds was welcome in the town as long they came in peace.

Now there is not enough auction in the town to keep the guards busy, a lot shop owners choose Luna and later Zento and New Magincia and several large buildings are not really used and that mean less room for active building and citizens.,

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have only been playing there a couple weeks and everyone I ha e talked to has been very nice.I did join the NOOB guild .I have not got out and about much ,just spending my time working a few skills .The biggest problem I see is making gold to just buy the basics but I am determined to start building my bank account. May I ask ,where is this place located called "Safe Haven"
Thanks

Fairy Dragon Spawn in the Abyss. Quick and easy money!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Safe Haven is east of the desert by the bog east of Britain. Go out the east road until it ends at the bog, then N-NE across the bog where the road starts up again. The crossroad just north of there is the west end of Safe Haven.

Tectop

Journeyman
Ty , I have not got over there yet.Do you know of it is connect to any of the hubs?

Nirot

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are 2 teletiles in Central Hub at Britain Moongate to Safe Haven. Tina Tinks Vendor.. the one with the pink gorget leads to Frejas Castle, which is in Safe Haven.
The other one lead to Safe Havens Hub and is located on first floor, too... in the back ... the one with the tool kit on the pedestal.