• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) From whence came Valoria?

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can hear her shrieking aloft. No doubt one of the serving folk will be getting a lashing from tongue or worse. There are a few moments where it may be safe to search for the grains of truth. Since returning from the tavern last eve my mind has been trying to piece flimsy wisps of memories, half forgotten stories and myths, fragments of conversations whose sounds have long since faded as have their echoes. If I am to find an answer anywhere it will be in my sister Valura's archives. She writes everything down, from the most important histories to the most deranged witterings of her febrile mind. I know better than to ask her directly. Paranoia and distrust are her constant companions. If she knows she will only tell me through her old notes and scribblings.

The books are mismatched, leather bound, faded, some sealed with wax that looks so much like dried blood others are locked tight with crusted, metal locks. Some have loose pages stuffed inside, extra notes, incantations and half thoughts. The people in the tavern had spoken of a place once called Valoria. Northward of Minoc, a village of old. The folk who live there now whisper its name only quietly. They have forgotten much. There surely will be mention of it somewhere in this mass of parchment.

I pause momentarily, my heartbeats deafen me and panic me as I can now hear her voice no more. If she should find me here it will go ill for me. Blood may be thicker than water but she would think nothing of reminding me of how much pain she can inflict.

Waiting..there..her voice once more..far away in the distant wing of the tower. I breathe easier and search rapidly with my frightened, focussed eyes. There..towards the back, a blue hide bound tome "From whence came Valoria". I reach up, dislodging the dust of travel and time and take the book but when I open its covers the pages buckled and ruined, the travels on the oceans have erased the knowledge held within. I will continue to seek what has been lost but now I will have to look elsewhere.

Vesta Stretch

*OOC - Whilst sitting at the Sword and Shovel last night Valoria, the player run town, was mentioned. No one there could remember its origins or background. Can anyone here help fill in the blanks? I have been wracking my brains all day!*

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[I remember Valoria and its inhabitants well. Especially VanQa who moved to The Trinsic Rose and founded her elf community just a little South West of Trinsic. Valoria as I recall was a mixture of RP and OOC, which was fine, and I had many interesting times in the tavern there. I will post this link to an old Ex-Uo RP group on Facebook and see if that brings any further memories out.]

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
VanQa /Gwen Irima /Draxandru Rose has not been seen for very long. The only person I know that still plays and even lives in the area is Tyranissa Wrath of SRG. Allied with RAA/RAAM..

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
VanQa, Ra Karn, Seriya and more are about on Facebook but we don't talk much. From the Ebon Hand I cant even remember who I knew really well. Its been five years or more since I spoke to some of these people... ahh I remember Lereia? Known as Lerb? Aryala would probably remember some more names as well. Tabbitha [some may remember her from the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaller sent this link http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Valoria

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If i remember correctly there was briefly the Teutonic Knights or something based in Valoria? I remember being a member of it very briefly, swear Olk Samsca was in it too

Edit: Or Actually i think Kaelith started it briefly and tabbitha had something to do with it

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If i remember correctly there was briefly the Teutonic Knights or something based in Valoria? I remember being a member of it very briefly, swear Olk Samsca was in it too

Edit: Or Actually i think Kaelith started it briefly and tabbitha had something to do with it
I think youre right Esca - and I think it was Kaelith.

Tyranissa Wrath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to see that Valoria is remembered! I have tried to keep as much of the old place going as I can, with the excellent help of my good friend Boo Boo, who moved into the area and took over ownership of The Sword And Shovel Tavern, which is still running to this day. To the south of that fine establishment is what was the town museum, but which is now my home, The Tower Of Memory - a museum of sorts, with some artefacts of days gone by available for public viewing.

I'm not exactly a word-perfect historian, but if I can help anyone exploring old Valoria, please do get in touch! The Tavern is open 7.30-9 Tuesdays (UK time)!

Valura

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will head along and look over the museum. I adore looking around houses and player made museums, are there others out there worth looking at ? I have been trying to remember the name of that magnificent house near Umbra with the amazing collection of server birth rares, the scaffolds and the ploughs etc. Does anyone else recall it?

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will head along and look over the museum. I adore looking around houses and player made museums, are there others out there worth looking at ? I have been trying to remember the name of that magnificent house near Umbra with the amazing collection of server birth rares, the scaffolds and the ploughs etc. Does anyone else recall it?
I think that was Hemispheres place, if I remember correctly, everything was stolen?

For some time I lived in Valoria and I was a member of the City Council. Salomon Majere was the curator of the Valorian Museum and the owner of one of the most important sites of knowledge in the north of the world: The Library of Valoria. I remember the E-V (Elves of Valoria) and KLT (Kult of Argonis) as two guild located in the fair city of Valoria. The Castle of Kult was in the middle of the town and Draco, Vicanius, Silentbob and Salomon Majere were proud members. The Mayor and leader of the town was Tussi and I remember the magical presence of one of the elven sisters: Black Diamond.

Elias

Visitor
A lot of names I do remember- Valoria is/was located in Northern Minoc - the rest I'm sure you'll find in the links. Nice to hear names such as Kofu, Ra'Karn and Tabbitha are still remembered :)

Tyranissa Wrath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For some time I lived in Valoria and I was a member of the City Council. Salomon Majere was the curator of the Valorian Museum and the owner of one of the most important sites of knowledge in the north of the world: The Library of Valoria. I remember the E-V (Elves of Valoria) and KLT (Kult of Argonis) as two guild located in the fair city of Valoria. The Castle of Kult was in the middle of the town and Draco, Vicanius, Silentbob and Salomon Majere were proud members. The Mayor and leader of the town was Tussi and I remember the magical presence of one of the elven sisters: Black Diamond.
Great to hear from you, Salomon! I have tried to stay true to the old museum, taking over its site when it fell, and recovering whatever pieces of old history I can find, while my friend Boo Boo has taken ownership of The Sword and Shovel, and uses its ground floor to house much of the old rune library's contents. It may not be much, but we try to keep the home-fire of Valoria burning in our own small ways...

Smolf

Visitor
It is true that Valoria was founded in the vale by the Healers of Europa and the Order of the Ebon Hand to which I belonged(and belong in heart still to this day)

Kofu Son of Scar, Falish Lightblade, myself Smolf aswell as many other great people whos names I hope to be reminded of soon was in OEH.

In HLR was prominently Anna Fairweather, Nightengale and many more great and compassionate healers.

As I look through the repliers to this thread I see some familiar names; Tyranissa Wrath, Solomon Majere and vaguely also Escaflowne? Maybe?

I remember the Lighthouse parties as great feasts. I remember drinking ale at the Swords and Shovel tavern. I remember good times. Alot of good times.

Last edited:

Smolf

Visitor
One of the links above shows me as guildmaster of OEH. This was never true. For a short time I was Stone Keeper of a guild consisting of members with closed accounts.

1-2 weeks like that and then I closed my account too.

Lightblade

Visitor
Hey there,

Smolf made me aware of this post and thought I should chip in a bit ;) Brings back a lot of old memories, and most what has been said is true indeed. I'll just do a quick recap of all that I still remember from back in the day. Most of the sources mentioned above however are acurate already ;)

The Order of the Ebon Hand [OEH] and Healers of Europa [HLR] had been long lasting allies in the world of UO. They had been organizing the Lighthouse Cafe for a considerable time together, which was the lighthouse located in the T2A expansion at the north side of the desert (forgot the name of the world, been a long time since I played UO). Ever since then they had been discussing of founding a safe haven / small town near the Northeren Minoc Mines. Especially at the time since it was always a busy area with PvPers who were after the miners. The original dream was to found the town to help and protect the miners. When the world was split in Trammel and Felucca, most of the members of the guilds left for Trammel, the alliance of these 2 guilds then started working on their dream of having this haven on Trammel instead. Both guilds were able to acquire quite a few properties around the vale which allowed for this dream to become a realisation. Several of these structures became some of the focal points of the town, the most notable being indeed the Rune Library, the Museum, the Library and the Sword and Shovel.
Which is still around as I understand, and quite somewhat proud of that :) since I played Ryan Lightblade, who, amongst good friends like Kofu, son of Scar, Anna Fairweather and Izarh of HLR, were part of the beginnings of Valoria.
After a while the buildings with the Valoria tag started to get noticed and expanded interest was there from the Knights Templar and several other guilds, among which also the Eternal Alliance (from which Zen, from the book of Zen, was part of).
As for the name of Valoria, it was indeed inspired by the same town in Ultima IX, but bore no further resemblance or anything to the town in that game.

Later on, after I stopped playing myself, the town kept growing and eventually Tussi de Luxe, Soloman Majere and several others from the guilds around the site kept the town running and flourishing for quite a while. The town was quite succesfull back then, but since I wasn't playing I can't contribute much on how things were back then. I do know that OEH was pretty much deserted by that time, only a few member still being around.
The original website (www.valoria.net) is no longer available but as I saw from the links some of the statutes and all have remained intact somewhere on the internet.

That is all I can remember roughly, I still think I somewhere have some pictures somewhere of the original Sword and Shovel and some other events taking place. I'll take a look this weekend and upload them if I can find them.

Regards,

Player of the Lightblade family

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remember it well m the hospital was directly behind my 7x7 that i managed to place when they opened up housing. there was also a small clown town to the west near the mines. another name that comes to mind is waylah the wild

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow!

I did not realize this player town existed.... I have a player run town with the exact same name on Atlantic (Valoria). My guilds name is the Knights Of The Valorian Order [*VK*] as well.

Link to the guild website:       *VK*