• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

From Sims to "Avatars"

G

ghostsong

It seems as if the same people who are the cheerleaders, the ones who defend and protect the devs and what they're doing are the same people who don't like the EA-Land name change, or the transitional movie away from the Sims name.

I like the fact that we have updates, and I like the fact that there is custom content now and everything. I just want to see how the cheerleaders, especially, react when our "Sims" aren't "Sims" anymore and are instead "avatars". And no, I am not talking about a name change. I am referring to a physical transformation as to what our Sims or "game pieces" look like. Are they still planning on doing that? The last time I asked they were.

I don't know, the game obviously isn't going to be Sim-related. These are old graphics, and I like them. If we get all new graphics, I sure hope our "avatars" and objects don't look as corny as our EA Land name is.

P.S. How many of you will continue playing a game that doesn't look or feel like TSO at all?

S

Sean Kendrick

Hopefully our avatars will still be sims from TS2.

Even though they are completely changing the game I'll still hang around until they're done.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

P.S. How many of you will continue playing a game that doesn't look or feel like TSO at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that a large part of my decision to give this game a try was that I have not been able to form any sort of affection for my Sims 2 simmies because of their unrealistic cartoony faces and expressions (though I think that is set to change with Sims 3) and I really missed my Sims 1ies dear little faces and voices. So it was a sort of nostalgia trip for me. I was also looking forward to making more 2D cc. Not even being sarcastic there - the 2D sprites can be made a lot richer and more photorealistic than the 3D skins.

I

imported_remflyer

We still are going to be sim related just not in name or gameplay. The graphics will be like The Sim's 2 game but the gameplay online is completely different than The Sim's 2 offline game.

I am comfortable with Sim's 2 graphics because I play that game too. I will kind of miss the simple graphics we have now but the younger generation playing games have only known 3D, so this change is something they would want. I started playing computer games before we even had graphics. Anyone else here remember text style adventure games like Trinity or Zork?

TSO needed updating. I just hope they work on improving the game element/fun factor. If all we are left with is a pretty chat room I will find another game.

I

Inge Jones

<blockquote><hr>

Anyone else here remember text style adventure games like Trinity or Zork?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe I certainly do. I wrote a scrolling text game myself, using LambdaMOO - though with only 6 phone lines it was difficult to get it exactly exciting

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

It seems as if the same people who are the cheerleaders, the ones who defend and protect the devs and what they're doing are the same people who don't like the EA-Land name change, or the transitional movie away from the Sims name.

I like the fact that we have updates, and I like the fact that there is custom content now and everything. I just want to see how the cheerleaders, especially, react when our "Sims" aren't "Sims" anymore and are instead "avatars". And no, I am not talking about a name change. I am referring to a physical transformation as to what our Sims or "game pieces" look like. Are they still planning on doing that? The last time I asked they were.

I don't know, the game obviously isn't going to be Sim-related. These are old graphics, and I like them. If we get all new graphics, I sure hope our "avatars" and objects don't look as corny as our EA Land name is.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Rolls Eyes in exaggeration* and *shakes head*

You blew your credibility when your first sentence was nothing but your effort to insult people that aren't negative on these boards.

I've played The Sims for longer than I can remember and I will testify to the fact that I find EAland very statisfying to my Sims Addiction.

Actually, let me change that comment...I'm finding it disturbing that there are so many 'negative personalities' being attracted to our game. Seems to be getting worse. All these 'fairly new' stratics people coming here, running off at the mouth and name calling long time posters and players is actually rather disturbing.

(I actually like the Sim2 graphics after playing it a bit. Did you know that Sims2 characters actually get facial expressions? So if they want to start going for a more Sims2 look, I'll support it. and I remember Pong.)

K

krazykara

I still refer to my characters as Sims. They will always be Sims to me. Yes, I still play here. To me they aren't avatars, they are Sims!

I have a habit of refering to my characters on L2 as sims also, even though they are not sims. It is a habit and I gladly admit it!!

Always a Sim to me...not an avatar. If I wanted avatars I would be playing There or Second Life. (Thanks but no thanks).

Here is my cheer for Sims!! Go Sims!! (Maybe Ea-Land now but your still a Sim to me).

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red"> Actually I noticed it was EVERYONE, not just "cheerleaders".</font>

<font color="red"> Do you really think this will effect just that one group of people. lol. Seriously? I hope you are amused when that time comes. </font>

<font color="red"> Wait, you don't sound too thrilled...are you apart of the positive group? If not what's to say "cheerleaders" aren't waiting for your reaction as well? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">
I am dedicated no matter what. The look isn't as serious. The 5 year game history may always have me calling sims "sims" or simoleans "simoleans" or AV "AV" but that is more from habit. I love this game for the goals I can create for myself and the many ways I can use my imagination. </font>

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You blew your credibility when your first sentence was nothing but your effort to insult people that aren't negative on these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I was thinking that too...just didn't read your post before posting my own lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I might just call them "toons" its easier to type.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's certainly better than "threens", or "fourns".

Hmmm..... maybe just a tad too much coffee.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

This game is not TSO.
It's BASED on TSO.

It's a whole brand spanking damn new game and it provides an enjoyment factor that's very high for me so whether it's Sims or Halos or Doom or Mario or Zeldas, the names don't affect my decision to play. AT ALL. I don't care if the game felt like some crappy Pong game, I'd still play it as long as there was custom content and cream bear bodies.

Sheesh.

PS I'm really not trying to be mean or anything, honestly or truly, but this game is constantly evolving. There'll always be something different about it. Just like RL. Is everything the same every day in RL? No, there's always some sort of different news stories, or different weather patterns, or something. So why should everything stop because some people still think this is the year 2002?

G

Hmm ... I'm sad the name simolean for currency going away - but that's more about the thirties vibe it has and less about a name change.

Avatar as a name is kinda lousy to me, because I think EA-Land hosting the game soon to be formerly known as TSO is still about deciding if you want to be yourself, or play someone else. And to me, avatar means more of a direct representation.

So I'm rooting for "minies" on the "what will we call all the little simulated cartoon people" part.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hmm ... I'm sad the name simolean for currency going away - but that's more about the thirties vibe it has and less about a name change.

Avatar as a name is kinda lousy to me, because I think EA-Land hosting the game soon to be formerly known as TSO is still about deciding if you want to be yourself, or play someone else. And to me, avatar means more of a direct representation.

So I'm rooting for "minies" on the "what will we call all the little simulated cartoon people" part.

[/ QUOTE ]
It will always be "Sims" to me.
Partly because I'm a creature of habit, and partly because of a slightly rebellious streak.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is probably a duck. However, the converse is also true. If the game no longer looks, plays, or sounds like TSO, then it is no longer TSO.

As for my reaction: I would mourn the loss of TSO. And then I would decide whether to remain with EA-Land based on its merits, and not on any pretense that it should resemble a game it no longer is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]BLASPHEMY!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's certainly better than "threens", or "fourns".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think?

Y

YadaSc

I know what I will call them.. what I always have.. Meara, Toby, Simma, Piyo, Dome, Silk, Lisa Gail, Clarkies, Eini, Lady J.. Etc.. they are my friends... they have names. it's what's inside.

G

ghostsong

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not in any way saying cheerleaders are bad, I think they are needed for a good balance. I find truth and exaggeration in both positive and negative views, that's why I read both here on the boards.

I wasn't trying to insult anyone - I was trying to point out that because of the very positive players/posters negative view's on moving away from the "Sims", I wonder if we'll have anyone who sees anything positive once everything is all said and done with. And yes, I do realize that it's more like *everyone* that doesn't like the game or currency name change, but those who aren't positive already are going to be saying "I told you so" to all those who had belief in the game.

I hope that the people who cheer on the devs and give confidence (that our game will turn out okay) to a lot of players are right, and I hope that there is more positivity to all of these changes than negativity. Dutch, I wish you would have asked me how I felt our what I meant by my words before assuming. I am an understanding person who tries to see many sides to an issue.

I like the positive posts a lot better than the negative ones, simply because I am more cynical than most and the positive posts keep me in a positive and hopeful mind frame.

G

ghostsong

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I was thinking "Are we really going to be calling these things avatars?" Toons isn't too bad, actually.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as the game mechanics stay the same, then I don't care whether they call our characters 'sims' or 'avatars', whether they call our in-game money 'simoleans' or whatever (though I am hoping loochie wins so I can see who names their romance house the name I suggested them to first
), or even that the game will hence forth have a cheesy name like EA Land
, the only thing that will make me quit the game is if they issue the 90 day notice, because even though some of the aspects of the game has changed, it is still the only game of it's kind around, so I don't see myself finding another one that is as addictive as this one, even this new laggy and buggy version since I don't for a minute think it will stay this way once the game is out of 'beta'.

G

ghostsong

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is probably a duck. However, the converse is also true. If the game no longer looks, plays, or sounds like TSO, then it is no longer TSO.

As for my reaction: I would mourn the loss of TSO. And then I would decide whether to remain with EA-Land based on its merits, and not on any pretense that it should resemble a game it no longer is.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point, and it's something I will be considering once the game has made more of transformation into the direction we're going. If it's not all bad, and actually quite fun - I will definetely be sticking with (and that's what I'm wishin' and hopin' for).

G

ghostsong

<blockquote><hr>

As long as the game mechanics stay the same, then I don't care whether they call our characters 'sims' or 'avatars', whether they call our in-game money 'simoleans' or whatever (though I am hoping loochie wins so I can see who names their romance house the name I suggested them to first
), or even that the game will hence forth have a cheesy name like EA Land
, the only thing that will make me quit the game is if they issue the 90 day notice, because even though some of the aspects of the game has changed, it is still the only game of it's kind around, so I don't see myself finding another one that is as addictive as this one, even this new laggy and buggy version since I don't for a minute think it will stay this way once the game is out of 'beta'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose my question to the devs will be, are these avatars going to be LIKE The Sims 2 or are they going to BE The Sims 2 graphics and we're just calling them avatars. I am okay with TS2 graphics, but I'm not really keen on There or SL graphics, and if they're going to be more like that then it's going to be strange calling something that took the place of a sim - a sim, you know? But yes, it is more of the feel of the game I love and it is the only one of it's kind. I have a lot of hope for the changes being made.

G

Do I mind sims changing to "avatars"? Personally I don't like the word "avatar", it doesn't roll off the tongue for me and I like words that roll nicely off the tongue. I suspect that there is a difference in pronounciation in the US and to be honest I haven't yet worked out how I'm supposed to say it ! So in the meantime I'll subsitute with any other word that springs to mind and in moments of forgetfulness I might just say "sims" now and again.

Do I like the change of name from TSO to EA-Land? I don't mind changing the name of TSO one bit, I just wish it was being changed to something different to EA-Land - again its not really rolling off the tongue for me, but I daresay I'll get used to it.

Am I looking forward to sims2 graphics? Sadly, no. I know I'm in a minority, but I'm not really not fussed on the sims2 graphics, I find them a tad cartoony.

Will I still be playing when all the changes have been implemented? Its a little early to say. I can't give an honest answer until all the changes have been implemented and I know what the new game looks like. I'm pretty sure that even if I don't like the new graphics, they'll grow on me. In the meantime I'm keeping an open mind, going with the flow and sticking around to see the end result.

I'm happy that today I still have a game to play, I'm happy that our sims were given an opportunity to live on and become part of a new game, whatever we'll be calling them in future. I'm excited for the future (with or without a change to graphics). It makes me smile to log in and see so many red dots flashing at once.

Do I appreciate the hard work the devs are putting in to make a future for the game? Yes I really do. Have I been frustrated by some of the recent problems with the game? Of course I have, I'm sure at some stage every one of us has been. I also see some of these problems getting sorted out and I'm confident that as time goes, we'll see less of these kinds of problems.

There will always be something that someone doesn't like about a new game change, but for every downside and disappointment, there will be an equal measure of positivity and excitement. The red dots flashing when you log on will be the main proof of that

Polly

G

just think of them as dudes and dudettes, that way you're politically correct.

and it's easier to say test center or that other place...

the red dots may be replaced with a nice light blue or purple as the red dots may offend someone thinking they are neighborhoods of ill repute. (red light districts for you brits in case that's a US kinda thing)

if all else fails we could call it... umm Lucland, pariland, or alphabetland (all the letters from the dev's who rebuild the software, so no one's offended)

I

imported_Starrfoxx

Why do they even feel the need to change our sims? Sims is as much a part of EA as all their other stuff, so I don't know why they need to change it.

G

We will keep our same sims. Their looks will be morphed to look more like Sims 2 sims.

G

As long as they don't look like the SL avatars. I remember years ago, SL just came out, when I created my SL avatar...she was scary!!!

Had bad dreams for months.

G

"Avatar" is just too general of a term for me. All sims are avatars, but not all avatars are sims.

Now, ready to watch the EA lawyers scramble??

NOUN: 1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.

EA, are you sure you want to offend a billion Hindus?

G

<blockquote><hr>

"Avatar" is just too general of a term for me. All sims are avatars, but not all avatars are sims.

NOUN: 1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm...wouldn't it offend them that we have "avatars" on Stratics? Or that yahoo allows us to create an "avatar"? Or that even outside the internet, the term avatar is used in games, TV shows, and movies?

I am not a huge fan of "Avatar" but I am not going to scramble for an excuse as to why it shouldn't be used. Why? Because I prefer it a hell of a lot more than "EA-Land Virtual Person" or whatever other generic term they can come up with.

Sims exist no longer. The team has stated that they cannot use "The Sims" brand anymore within EA-Land. We are avatars, at least for now. Let's just hope they don't reduce us to anything less.

G

No matter what they call us we can still refer ourselves as Sims. Maybe EA won't here us and we won't get in trouble.

Here's a suggestion: EA's Community of Funny Looking Hairdoos

No like? Ok I keep bashing my head into the wall 'til I come up with something else.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am not a huge fan of "Avatar" but I am not going to scramble for an excuse as to why it shouldn't be used. Why? Because I prefer it a hell of a lot more than "EA-Land Virtual Person" or whatever other generic term they can come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmmmm...

ELF = EA Life Form
ELVES = EA-Land Virtual EntitieS

What? Why are you all looking at me like that? And what's with the tomatos?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm...wouldn't it offend them that we have "avatars" on Stratics? Or that yahoo allows us to create an "avatar"? Or that even outside the internet, the term avatar is used in games, TV shows, and movies?

Sims exist no longer. The team has stated that they cannot use "The Sims" brand anymore within EA-Land. We are avatars, at least for now. Let's just hope they don't reduce us to anything less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed..took the words right out of my mouth, not to mention that we've had 'Avatar Leasing Error' not 'Sim Leasing Error' since inception and nobody made any comments anywhere near this then. If we were gonna offend the Hindus, it's already been done, so it's too late. At least now 'Avatar Leasing Error' will make a little bit more sense with our characters being called 'avatars'.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmmmm...

ELF = EA Life Form
ELVES = EA-Land Virtual EntitieS

What? Why are you all looking at me like that? And what's with the tomatos?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're gonna be called Elves, then when the graphics get updated to TS2 detail I want to have the pointy ears and noses, by golly.

If we're Elves would the devs all be dressed up in Santa suits to make them easily recognizable?

Dammit....now you got me in silly mode, this is what happens when you make posts like this after I've had a bout of insomnia and am therefore sleep deprived, we turn into the sim version of Abbott and Costello. LMAO

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the game is technically running under the Sims2 graphics now?

And I'm not sure how long it's gonna take me to learn to say 'Avatar' instead of sim? Probably forever.

I figure....avatar...character...toon...it doesn't matter what they call them...they are still sims. And I don't think it's so much 'distancing' from the name Sims Online but more like creating a 'gateway' for other EA games?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the game is technically running under the Sims2 graphics now?

And I'm not sure how long it's gonna take me to learn to say 'Avatar' instead of sim? Probably forever.

I figure....avatar...character...toon...it doesn't matter what they call them...they are still sims. And I don't think it's so much 'distancing' from the name Sims Online but more like creating a 'gateway' for other EA games?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have the framework for the TS2 graphics, but not the graphics yet. Everything is still 2D for the most part, with a few exceptions of nifty stuff that we can see now in game that we couldn't see before, but basically we're still running on the TS1 graphics engine as long as things do not have the look and feel of TS2 3D style.

I

imported_CherryBomb

Just an observation from playing other games (I can never resist a Beta test or a free trial!):

Some people in just about every on-line game use "sim", "avatar", "toon" or "character" to describe their, umm, game piece. "Sim" tends to be used when the game is a simulation, like TSO was. "Avatar" is more popular in social-space games, like SL or EALand, it is more of an identification with the actual person playing. "Toon" gets used more often when the game is play, like Toontown. "Character" implies some kind of role-playing, like Roma Victor and such. It's not a hard rule, just a tendency I've noticed.

CherryBomb

G

I was under the impression that the graphics have not changed at all yet. With the exception of TC3 -test.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it doesn't end up looking like Habbo Hotel I can live with it.

Sims 2 graphics are fine as far as I'm concerned, in fact I prefer them to Sims 1 graphics: characters have more....um....character

I can't get my head round calling them avatars, they will always be sims to me, and I wish EA Land was called something a bit snappier, but when all is said and done, it is still 95% the game I know and love, and I can live with the changes.