• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fresh out of the oven

O

omerpo

Hello all...

I am looking for an MMO to play, and I read about Ultima Online quite a lot. But I also read it's rather old, which-in some ways- suits me ( gonna play this game on a 10" netbook..). But my main question is.

Is there a room for a new player in the game? I didn't play mmos before really so I can't tell..Nothing serious that is..I am playing Browser RTS ;)

Thanks

C

chanshaw

Hello all...

I am looking for an MMO to play, and I read about Ultima Online quite a lot. But I also read it's rather old, which-in some ways- suits me ( gonna play this game on a 10" netbook..). But my main question is.

Is there a room for a new player in the game? I didn't play mmos before really so I can't tell..Nothing serious that is..I am playing Browser RTS ;)

Thanks
Alright here are my suggestions for you. Yes it is an old game but it's also the best mmorpg in my opinion. I have played since 97, I've quit and come back several times. I tried lots of different mmo's (WoW LoTR Matrix Online etc) and I always got bored and came back to this one. This is like a sandbox mmo where there are tons of different things to do. If you do decide to play I would look at the UOGuide website for information aswell as searching for good templates for a starting character or asking for suggestions. Yes their is room for a new player, I would suggest Great Lakes or the Atlantic shard. There is a free 14 day trial so download and play, and then let us know what you think and maybe make some suggestions to the Development team here on the forums about what they could do to make the new player experience better. Also don't be afraid to ask questions and for help (you will start in New Haven) alot of people are willing to help out a new player.

O

omerpo

Thank you very much for the quick reply, I am from Europe btw, I hope it is not a big problem...I know there are games which time zones can be an issue.

What is a sandbox game? I don't think I know the term =)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In very basic terms a 'sandbox' game is one where you do what you want, when you want, if you want. In UO there are no set character types, you can mix and match skill sets to make any hybrid you feel you will enjoy playing.
No levels to attain, nothing you absolutely have to do to progress. It's not so much a game as a world. You can craft, you can hunt, you can spend your time building houses or watering plants if that's what you want to do. You can join a guild and hunt the strongest monsters, if that's more your style. You choose.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is freedom in almost everything you like to do. :)

You will not find you pushed in on direction or another.

O

omerpo

Another question I have...I need to make sure this game will run on my netbook. Here are the spec (I will be using the classic version since I've seen some bad reviews about the enhanced version)

Intel ATOM 450N
1GB ram
Intel GMA 3150
250GB HR 5400RPM

I have windows 7 starter installed on it...
Thanks

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Easily. Would run either client just fine.

One piece of advice I'd offer is this: try to hook up with an active guild. Community is one reason why we've lasted all these years. Also, UO tends to have a steep learning curve, but you will advance much more quickly in a group than on your own.

Welcome. :)

O

omerpo

Well here's how my 1st day in UO passed so far...ehum..

I created a character 3 times because i wanted to make a merchant..the 1st i accidentally clicked the blacksmith's button..the 2nd I created an archer with too much dex but really weak on str...so he could snipe with a bow he can't hold :p and the 3rd time worked quite well... I was able to find a guild..Not very big, but very friendly..And I am glad to say that I am in New Heaven area, hunting zombies and such to train my Anatomy & Tactics skill and I am having the time of my life...from time to time I cut down trees to make myself arrows (being archer is expensive, but I found out that buying feather is cheaper then buying arrows)
The game works perfectly on my netbook and I'd be glad to see you guys waving at me if you are around new heaven, My character name is Tirithon and I am on Europa server =) Hope to see you guys at least in general chat.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember that if you not happy with a character, his skills or stats , you can always turn them down or remove them with a soulstone or soulstone fragment.

Test Center is always a good place to build a character so you can set the skills and stats to your own liking. That way you can get a idea how your character on your character will eventually look like. And of course you can always ask more advice on the boards. As always all advice helps but its only up to your own choice what you want to do . :)