• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free players can no longer work?

• Thread starter waltersobchak11
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
W

waltersobchak11

No one I've talked to is able to work anymore. Is this something new about the game that I missed? Do you have to subscribe to work now?

G

I believe according to the original design, you should be able to work but without collecting money. If you can't, they've either changed it or accidentally brought this over with the update.

G

This was not said in the update? There was no update for EA land, maybe the changed the code?

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

This was not said in the update? There was no update for EA land, maybe the changed the code?

[/ QUOTE ]
<blockquote><hr>

EA-Land Open and Updated, Version 2.1651.3.0
Posted in Update by Greg on the March 20th, 2008

The update:

* Reversed the effects of an economy exploit and fixed the exploit.
* merged Blazing Falls
* merged Betaville
* Custom Content: bug fix for tables showing up incorrectly in build mode.
* User Interface: EA-Land logos and labels updated
* User Interface: EA Stores now have a separate lot category
* Lots: Free Players do not count towards visitor hours
* System: reduced the fequency of a couple data lookups to address load issues

Regards,

gk

[/ QUOTE ]

There was an update.

G

ok there was an update, but it says no where in there about Free players not able to work anymore?

G

It was never intended for free players to make money at those jobs in EA Land.

From The EA Land website:
<blockquote><hr>

Earning money

Because we intend to let user sell their in-game currency for real money, we cannot have the game give money to free players. But free players can earn money from other players by performing jobs for them (roommate for example), by trading valuable objects like custom content, or even by running a store. Free players can use the buy simoleans feature to get some starting money. Some players might also give you money to help you start.

[/ QUOTE ]

L

LReyome254

Simply Put, in English:

EA LAND IS GOING BACK TO PAY ONLY

L

LReyome254

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I ain't owing back the 4000+ I got from working!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

Please supply links with direct quotes from EA employees confirming your outlandish accusations.

kthnx.

Also I am a HUGE supporter of free accounts being very very limited.

L

LReyome254

Being limited meaning eventually we wont even be able to go past the map without paying

G

<blockquote><hr>

Being limited meaning eventually we wont even be able to go past the map without paying

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that... luckily for free players I don't make the rules.

G

You have to remember, TC3 is totally wide open to free accounts with no restrictions. EA-Land was never meant to allow free accounts total access. Not allowing free accounts to work or not I am not sure of. The only thing I know is free accounts were never meant to make money in EA-Land.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not 'going back' to it, this is how it was supposed to be from jumpstreet. Free players can still work AND make money in TC3, as originally designed also, I know because this morning I did a restaurant shift on a free account.....so free players are not totally limited. When they were, I was shouting on the rooftops along with you, but as it stands even free players have a place to go to be unlimited. If you don't want to pay to play, that's where you play for free. 'Simply put, in English'.

G

That is how the accounts were designed. If you were able to work and make money in EA-Land, you weren't supposed to be able to. That just means they found the bug while EA-Land was down and fixed it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

Please supply links with direct quotes from EA employees confirming your outlandish accusations.

kthnx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that free accounts should be so limited that theres no hope of them ever getting started in the simmy world. I pay for the game because I like to be able to go to all of the houses, not because it makes the economy any easier to deal with. When I first heard about the free accounts, I was excited because I thought it would open the sim world to more people and more players who will make the game more interesting. They aren't getting anything handed to them, and neither are we. I don't think it would hurt to give them at least a shot at getting some money together to start a place. Maybe if the price of building wasn't so high, it would be easier.

W

waltersobchak11

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just started a few days ago and I could work and now I can't. I was just bringing it up in case there was a problem, but if this is the way it was supposed to be, then that's fine. I'll just end up subscribing so long as people don't disappear.

G

The differences between free and premium accounts in EA-Land can be found here.

Here's an excerpt from that site:<blockquote><hr>

Earning money

Because we intend to let user sell their in-game currency for real money, we cannot have the game give money to free players. But free players can earn money from other players by performing jobs for them (roommate for example), by trading valuable objects like custom content, or even by running a store. Free players can use the buy simoleans feature to get some starting money. Some players might also give you money to help you start.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]add me to the list of paying players who support limiting your free ride in EA Land

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I ain't owing back the 4000+ I got from working!

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that was technically bug/exploit money, you're lucky EA didn't/doesn't take it back....they've proven they can when they deem necessary, so I don't think I'd make a statement about what "you ain't" gonna do, cuz if they decide you will, you will by golly.

G

I will stick around just to watch the free players realize that they have no future in the game unless they pay. Lets face it, free players will never be able to purchase lots, never be able to call repairmen for their lots if they already have, free players will not be able to do anything but go from lot to lot, and free players will never have anything.Which means after they get tired of being vagabonds they will eventually leave EA land and go back the morpg they were playing before they followed the rabbit down the rabbit hole. This means that we will see a decrease of people very shortly. Hell, I will stick around to watch EA land become desolate and barren just as MF did three years ago. Good job EA, just when I thought you showed promise, and the intelligence to take a step forward, you follow up and prove me wrong by taking a two steps back. It is a good thing I didnt pay for my account because I would have been greatly dissapointed seeing how the free players that come to my lot will never become land holders and will leave the game, just as my friends did three years ago, resulting in a mass "Lets find something else to play move" that followed. Good job! /salute.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I will stick around just to watch the free players realize that they have no future in the game unless they pay. Lets face it, free players will never be able to purchase lots, never be able to call repairmen for their lots if they already have, free players will not be able to do anything but go from lot to lot, and free players will never have anything.Which means after they get tired of being vagabonds they will eventually leave EA land and go back the morpg they were playing before they followed the rabbit down the rabbit hole. This means that we will see a decrease of people very shortly. Hell, I will stick around to watch EA land become desolate and barren just as MF did three years ago. Good job EA, just when I thought you showed promise, and the intelligence to take a step forward, you follow up and prove me wrong by taking a two steps back. It is a good thing I didnt pay for my account because I would have been greatly dissapointed seeing how the free players that come to my lot will never become land holders and will leave the game, just as my friends did three years ago, resulting in a mass "Lets find something else to play move" that followed. Good job! /salute.

[/ QUOTE ]That's not quite true. The free player can always *gasp* subscribe!

Anyone who is too cheap to either subscribe, use the ATM, or contribute in some positive way to the game is probably not worth having around anyways.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]That's not quite true. The free player can always *gasp* subscribe!

Anyone who is too cheap to either subscribe, use the ATM, or contribute in some positive way to the game is probably not worth having around anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a little harsh on the freebies. I think the reason they are freebies in the first place is probably that they can't afford the game or their parents don't want to spend money on it. Not that they're cheap. I think its kind of nice that Ea-land gave the option of free players because it creates more in-game diversity and that sort of socialization is what the sims is all about. This is not an RP game where you fight to get to the top. This is a fun socializing game.

I've seen a few people with a little bit of an elitist attitude toward the paying players, but I don't understand where it comes from. We're all just people trying to play a game together. Why can't we just enjoy it and help the newbs where we can? I know when I was a newb, I was thrilled to be adopted into a group of friends that i've kept to this day. Its that kindness and fun that kept me playing this game. Not the thrill of reaching my home owning goal or making the top 100 houses. I think the sims is about people interacting. And I, for one, would be glad to have free players coming in and out of the game.

And is it really going to help the EA-Land economy if we all set against the free players? I doubt they'll be tempted to stick around and eventually subscribe with a reception like that.

G

Maybe some of you. Let me change that to MOST of you, do not realize the free accounts were able to go to work and perform the tasks and get a message showing them how much money they would have made.

But, free accounts did not get the money.

Nobody from EA said that free accounts going to jobsites, doing work, and not getting paid, was a bug.

If this has changed, it should have been in the notes.

It has NOTHING to do with your personal bias on this topic.

G

Katheryne seems to think that Free players don't have anything worth contributing, so the least I feel I can do is offer my perspective. I saw my brother playing this game last week, and being someone who has NEVER liked the sims in my life, there was a certain appeal to this game that got me instantly hooked. The community, the custom content, the job minigames, etc. Since last week, I've been playing a few hours a day, and 3 of my other family members have gotten involved (5 total). Sure, it was disappointing to know that we didn't have the advantages of paying members, but we all knew that if we worked together and saved up doing our ridiculously LOW-PAYING jobs, that we would eventually have a place in EA LAND for ourselves. ^_^ About 2 days ago, we made enough for a plot of land, and two of us decided that, you know what, this game is fun, so why not subscribe. Thank god that I held off til today to read this absolutely insulting and irrational turn of events. There is no point in subscribing anymore knowing that the other 3 of our family members are going to be demoted to the state of mere spectactors in a world that requires simoleons to advance. It's unfortunate, because I'm sure they would have all come around at some point. How I see it, the decline of other free players as a result of this news is inevitable, because no one is going to play a free game for more than a few days when they realize that there's no way for them to advance without getting some low paying job from another player. We are not lap dogs. Many people might also form misconceptions about how the game works thinking that such a strict and unfriendly environment is what they're getting when they subscribe, and it's a shameful notion, because this game could have been appealing to many would-be customers, if not for the countless restrictions imposed.

I really loved this game for the passed week, and I resent Katheryne's sentiment. Us free players have helped to revitalize a community in an incredibly vulnerable state-- so it's foolish to make such presumptuous and misguided statements. I want to thank all of the subscribing players who extended their hospitality to me, as a free player, and hope that EA reconsiders this decision.

G

It was a bug, I know this because I reported it myself. It is not intended for free accts to be able to make simoleans the way paid accts do. They can be gifted funds or purchase funds. I dont see how this is unfair at all. Someone mentioned its a social game, no one is stopping them from socializing. The lot types they arent allowed on makes perfect sense to me.

The reason I feel this is a good thing is trial abuse. Anyone who played over the years knows it was abused and massively and it has been abused even recently with artificial visitor hours. That has been discussed many times recently here on these boards. Anything players can exploit or abuse they will. Yesterday proved that yet again. Its important to me that the devs make sure there are no exploits or holes to sneak through that might in time damage the overall gaming experience for all of us.

G

Pay attention.

My two free accounts DID NOT RECEIVE MONEY when they got a job, went to work and made robots or whatever.

They got a message telling them how much money they would have made. But not one penny went to their account.

Maybe there was a bug that allowed some to get money.

I was around a bunch of free account holders that went to work on a regular basis because they found it fun. They received no pay.

Now the free account holders cant even try out the jobs, there will be fewer that change to a premium account.

Let your bias cost EA money. I really do care.

G

Ok so you werent affected by the bug, wonderful, it still needed to be fixed.
Its not bias its solid reasoning. You of course are welcome to disagree, no skin off my nose.

G

Yes, I agree, How long will free players continue to go from lot to lot being a guest and never being able to own something of there own? Who is willing to lose the hard earned money they made while they were able to work to move to Tc3 and start over with 100$. No matter what happens, I look forward to seeing the end result.

G

Seems to me folks misunderstand the purpose of a free account. It is not intended to allow players to do for free what other people pay for, whats my incentive to pay if I can do all the same stuff for free? I can just hear the outcry from paid players if free players got all the same advantages!

The purpose of a free account is to tempt you to subscribe. No one is trying to chase away free players we just want to entice you to fully join in the gaming experience by being a paid member of the community. Of course you dont have to subscribe you can continue to play the limited game as long as you want, you can contribute to the success of EA Land by buying simoleans too. Thats fine with me, its still helping EA decide to keep the game open for everyone.

I dont think free accounts should be the same as me, thats not to say they arent valuable to the community, but they would be more valuable as a subscriber because lets face reality here, the dev team needs to prove to EA that this is a viable project, the only way they can do that is showing a profit.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Seems to me folks misunderstand the purpose of a free account. It is not intended to allow players to do for free what other people pay for, whats my incentive to pay if I can do all the same stuff for free? I can just hear the outcry from paid players if free players got all the same advantages!

The purpose of a free account is to tempt you to subscribe. No one is trying to chase away free players we just want to entice you to fully join in the gaming experience by being a paid member of the community. Of course you dont have to subscribe you can continue to play the limited game as long as you want, you can contribute to the success of EA Land by buying simoleans too. Thats fine with me, its still helping EA decide to keep the game open for everyone.

I dont think free accounts should be the same as me, thats not to say they arent valuable to the community, but they would be more valuable as a subscriber because lets face reality here, the dev team needs to prove to EA that this is a viable project, the only way they can do that is showing a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree that the dev team needs to make a profit out of this. But is shunning the new free players the best way to do that? I agree that they should be limited, but not so completely that they lose interests in the game. I think the best way to entice people into playing is by extending courteous greetings and helping them to get started. Eventually, I expect a lot of them would start paying because they find out how much fun EAL can be.

G

I don't imagine that anyone is going to feel compelled to subscribe with all of the restrictions placed on the game. The "heart" of the game is definitely the socializing, but if thats all someone is there for, then it's unlikely that they would ever register to begin with. I know you want to have an advantage over the free players, to justify your subscription, but EA isn't even allowing the free players to get a good idea of what the game is about, now having made anything worthwhile off-limits to us. Not only do we not have access to money objects(single or multi), and 90% of the homes in the game, but now we can't even do the jobs, which were ANYTHING but a free hand out. You want to protect this game so that it's better for your community, yet I have a feeling that these harsh restrictions will end up having more obvious detrimental effects in the near future, as the playerbase continues to diminish.

I

imported_corpatortis

<blockquote><hr>

Pay attention.

My two free accounts DID NOT RECEIVE MONEY when they got a job, went to work and made robots or whatever.

They got a message telling them how much money they would have made. But not one penny went to their account.

Maybe there was a bug that allowed some to get money.

I was around a bunch of free account holders that went to work on a regular basis because they found it fun. They received no pay.

Now the free account holders cant even try out the jobs, there will be fewer that change to a premium account.

Let your bias cost EA money. I really do care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, wait hold up, a third time over.. your free account went to work but did not get paid. Niki said she reported that bug herself. So you repeated that you went to work and did not get paid. So, I'm thinking a bug allowed you to work and you did not get paid.

if EA finds the losses from this bug fix significant then maybe they'll change it. until then, your bias costs them nothing.. since your account is free

G

TTL

Just some quick questions. And I understand why people think the restrictions on free accounts should be lifted but... Why would I as a subscriber continue to play if free people are getting exactly what I am getting?

What would be the motivation for a free player to subscribe if that was the case?

And how would this game profit if everyone was playing free? Certainly ATMs would not fully cover it.

I don't see the logic in it... so I'd appreciate an explanation.

Also... I'm pretty sure whether EA makes a lot of money or a little money the people who work for EA-Land will have the same salary. They do not profit directly off of your money.

If I'm entitled, I feel I'm entitled to have more than someone who isn't paying.

Also, I could care less if someone can't afford this game. That is not my problem. I can afford it, and thats all I care about.

Its a game... not food or shelter, so the whole "some ppl can't afford it" doesn't pull at my heart strings.

E

Elizabeth Z

Well wait I do see one point here. I'm thinking that if what Niki said that the "free player" option is supposed to be a way to entice people to play and yet they aren't allowed in certain houses and now they can't participate in the jobs just what exactly is this enticing point?

I'm not saying they should get paid at ALL for doing those jobs but why not allow them to work and not get paid like they were doing? Its not hurting EA its not hurting the economy and its certainly not hurting the paying subscribers.

Just my opinion and yes I'm aware of the reasons for restrictions on free accounts I was around a long time too and am very aware of all the exploits etc. But in this case if lets say in TC3 ONLY they could say go work at the bot factory to try it out and NOT get paid then whats the harm?

Liz

G

No worries. Not sure how meaningful your advantages will be with no free players around. I'm not sure you intended to respond to me, because I never stated money as an issue in any of my arguments, nor did I express any desire for EA to lift restrictions outside of allowing us to make a small income off the job minigame. I was simply stating that my family members were more likely to come around had they been able to experience the more accessible version of it prior to this last patch for awhile longer. Me and my younger brother were going to subscribe to paid accounts today, but we've decided to hold off, cause it won't be quite as fun without our family playing. There's no purpose for a free player to play this game anymore. Say whatever you want, it's all moot now. I hope that EA knows what they're doing, and genuinely wish this game and its players the best of luck.

G

I'm all for them having all sorts of non restrictions in TC3....

But I want them highly restricted in EA-L

G

Greg put this edit on the blog post: http://www.ea-land.ea.com/blog/

<blockquote><hr>

Edit:

Jobs should be available to free players on TC3 but not EA-Land.

We are investigating reports of free players not being able to report to jobs on TC3. This is a bug if this is in fact the case

gk

[/ QUOTE ]

E

Elizabeth Z

Well I agree with you there. Then why are Free Accts even allowed in EALand?

I mean maybe TC3 should be the only platform for them to "TRY" out the game and if they choose to pay then they have the option to go to EALand. Just a thought. *shrug*

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

kthnx.

[/ QUOTE ]

an for the people who aint been in game in yrs cause maxis wasnt doing anythin back then till now... wat happpens to them when they come back on a free account... This is like totaly unfair an alot you guys are beeing mean about it... why not make like a trail thingy where they get soo long like the trails used to be to be a free player then after that if they dont wanna play any more then dont gotta but if they do then they gotta pay..

G

<blockquote><hr>

No worries. Not sure how meaningful your advantages will be with no free players around. I'm not sure you intended to respond to me, because I never stated money as an issue in any of my arguments, nor did I express any desire for EA to lift restrictions outside of allowing us to make a small income off the job minigame. I was simply stating that my family members were more likely to come around had they been able to experience the more accessible version of it prior to this last patch for awhile longer. Me and my younger brother were going to subscribe to paid accounts today, but we've decided to hold off, cause it won't be quite as fun without our family playing. There's no purpose for a free player to play this game anymore. Say whatever you want, it's all moot now. I hope that EA knows what they're doing, and genuinely wish this game and its players the best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

O ... TTL means tagging to last, I was responding as a whole to this thread, not specifically to you....

Idk what you even wrote lol.

Sorry you won't be subscribing... win some lose some.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

kthnx.

[/ QUOTE ]

an for the people who aint been in game in yrs cause maxis wasnt doing anythin back then till now... wat happpens to them when they come back on a free account... This is like totaly unfair an alot you guys are beeing mean about it... why not make like a trail thingy where they get soo long like the trails used to be to be a free player then after that if they dont wanna play any more then dont gotta but if they do then they gotta pay..

[/ QUOTE ]

The trials were vastly exploited. Free player accounts is probably the best way to go about a "trial"

I agree to TC3. I think it should be severely limited in EA. I'm not being mean about it... but the people who pay... why are they paying?

Thats what I'm essentially asking. Its not being mean, its being curious. If somebody expands on their reasoning and makes me see the logic in it maybe I coudl agree.

Although I highly doubt it.

And plus, that old game and what was or wasn't done over the years really doesn't matter any more. It's dead and buried.

EA learned from many of the errors back and thus far seem to be rectifying them.

Like doing away with trials

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

kthnx.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The trials were vastly exploited. Free player accounts is probably the best way to go about a "trial"

I agree to TC3. I think it should be severely limited in EA. I'm not being mean about it... but the people who pay... why are they paying?

Thats what I'm essentially asking. Its not being mean, its being curious. If somebody expands on their reasoning and makes me see the logic in it maybe I coudl agree.

Although I highly doubt it.

And plus, that old game and what was or wasn't done over the years really doesn't matter any more. It's dead and buried.

EA learned from many of the errors back and thus far seem to be rectifying them.

Like doing away with trials

[/ QUOTE ]

Ea says they want more players an people to come back .. not given them a chance to see wat its like ait gona help .. its just gonna make them leave again .. trust me on this couple my friends have already left because of all this crap going on laltey

G

<blockquote><hr>

Katheryne seems to think that Free players don't have anything worth contributing, so the least I feel I can do is offer my perspective...

...I really loved this game for the passed week, and I resent Katheryne's sentiment. Us free players have helped to revitalize a community in an incredibly vulnerable state-- so it's foolish to make such presumptuous and misguided statements. I want to thank all of the subscribing players who extended their hospitality to me, as a free player, and hope that EA reconsiders this decision.

[/ QUOTE ]Okay... For anyone who missed it the first time, allow me to repeat what I said:<blockquote><hr>

That's not quite true. The free player can always *gasp* subscribe!

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Simply Put, in English:

[/ QUOTE ]

kthnx.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because gameplay in EA Land does not differ a whole lot from what those players experienced in production cities, from what I have experienced, so you already know what the game has to offer if you're a returning player, and besides you can still create an avatar in TC3 and experience what there is *new* since TC3 runs the exact same thing that EA Land does, only with different houses to do it in, but there's no difference to gameplay. The only difference is you have to re-skill, and players who have older sims that are already skilled are spoiled and just don't wanna go through the *hassle* of re-skilling. Sorry.....if you want to avoid that hassle you gotta pony up the dough, just like paying for other people to do stuff for you in RL that you could just as easily keep the money in your pocket and do it for yourself. Laziness now has a price tag.

G

- Free players should be treated like everyone else.

- Everyone who starts playing the game / comes back to the game is liable to be a free player for a while before deciding.

- They bring new blood into the game, they revitalize the game.

- Many of them will become paying players if we treat them well. If they get treated like dirt they probably won't enjoy the experience and want to pay for it.

- Many free players have been lured into the game by paying friends. They should be able to play in EA Land so they can socialize with their friends, while deciding if they want to pay.

- If they are only directed to Test Center, they will have a full game experience and never get the "Pay to get access to this feature" reminder.
There will be less incentive for them to become subscribers at all, if they "build their life" there.

- Imo they should be allowed to work, since that's the only thing they can "do" in the game. They have no other means of "playing" the game. They should be awarded less money than subscribers though.

- Right now the game is about sitting in a corner reading a book, afk, or standing at a jam station chatting with the same old people.
With a lot of new players maybe the game can become more fun and unpredictable again.
We need free players!

G

<blockquote><hr>

But, free accounts did not get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Im sorry to inform you but YES free accounts in EA did very much indeed get paid.