• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free Accounts -- New Issue IMPORTANT PROPERTY LIST ISSUE

G

I have been looking at top stores and they are always stuffed full of afk sims that they own. Now I am seeing they are mostly free accounts. Does free account sims still give hours? Because if so, I think Maxis should rethink this.......

P

Paula777

and why do you care?

let them have the hours.. their pc is probably running and running munching electricity ....
you can do the same if you wish .. no need to be jealous anymore ...

(not a store owner)

MaxCTSO

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I have been looking at top stores and they are always stuffed full of afk sims that they own. Now I am seeing they are mostly free accounts. Does free account sims still give hours? Because if so, I think Maxis should rethink this.......

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea I've noticed that to. It kind of sucks cause its hard to be #1 in shopping now that top 2 stores have like 200 hours lol. But oh well there is really nothing we can do about it.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

and why do you care?

let them have the hours.. their pc is probably running and running munching electricity ....

(not a store owner)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jealousy? Where did that come from? Personally I think i'd rather see the stores with the nice Custom Content sitting up there when I click on the store category rather then the same stores that have the same items in it that we're there the 1st time I visited. I just wanted a tip jar but none of the 11 people there answered. I.m just curious, are you a subcribed member or on a free account? I noticed your new to stratics...Welcome

H

HoTDeViL

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

and why do you care?

(not a store owner)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jealousy? Where did that come from? Personally I think i'd rather see the stores with the nice Custom Content sitting up there when I click on the store category rather then the same stores that have the same items in it that we're there the 1st time I visited. I just wanted a tip jar but none of the 11 people there answered. I.m just curious, are you a subcribed member or on a free account? I noticed your new to stratics...Welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

come to my store after maintenance and a tip jar will be yours lol. as gift from me
whats your simname?
my name in ea-land is Serenity
(Bienchen in AV)

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

and why do you care?

(not a store owner)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

come to my store after maintenance and a tip jar will be yours lol. as gift from me
whats your simname?
my name in ea-land is Serenity
(Bienchen in AV)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are awesome!!! This is Suggs and Wolfette. I have a tip jar now but i'll be using your store for anything else I may need. Thank you so much
!!!!!

I

Inge Jones

I had a couple of guys on free accounts land on my home last night. They were asking where they could find jobs and accommodation. It was quite realistic lol. I fed them, gave them $100 each and wished them good luck, after telling them what I could from the Blog about what they could and could not do.

G

Many of you guys missed the point.... Stores, or ANY property for that matter should be number 1 because they earned it! Because people like them the best and because they have good products! Not because they can afford to pay for 50 accounts and have 100 computers running sims...
It isn't fair.

I

imported_rpsky3

hello, and just hitting respond,
yes, i also agree with you. my friend and I had a rather nice store in production cities and it does get very frustrating that we would spend so much time trying to make a fun living in game, only to compete with a store full of afk, hiding sims that were all from the same person.
so yes, i also agree that maxis should re-think that whole situation again.

P

Paula777

Well, how else can they be rated fairly if not by visitor hours. The misuse doesn't make it a bad rating system.
I think it's A-Okay to have a high rating for those who put more in the game than others. (Myself: free-player)
Shall players all vote daily on what properties they like best of every category? Then again multiple-account advantage.

N

nodgree

<blockquote><hr>

Well, how else can they be rated fairly if not by visitor hours. The misuse doesn't make it a bad rating system.
I think it's A-Okay to have a high rating for those who put more in the game than others. (Myself: free-player)
Shall players all vote daily on what properties they like best of every category? Then again multiple-account advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could make the rating system for stores be based on the number of items sold rather than by hours. The store that is trying the hardest and selling the most inventory would be higher on the map than those who were afk and not attempting to help thier customers.

G

Actually...no. I have a new idea. I think the rating should not be judged on visitor hours, but on visitor entries. Each day the shops should be judged on how many people come into their shop. Then, that will account towards the visitor rating. And to take care of people trying to make people come to their lot just for a bonus, the longer that sim stays, the better.. Except one main point. The bonus will only count for x amount of bonus, and will not keep adding after x amount of minutes, such as 60. This would take care of the situation. I know it is complicated and I might not of explained it the best, but you get the idea of how there are options.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

They could make the rating system for stores be based on the number of items sold rather than by hours. The store that is trying the hardest and selling the most inventory would be higher on the map than those who were afk and not attempting to help thier customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Artemis! THis is Colby M C from EA-Land here
. The thing about your idea is people would lay out hundreds of items each day set for 0 and bring their alts on to buy up everything. It would be unfair, and yes I have thought about this too.

P

Paula777

naw they would just create more free accounts and pay ppl maxing out the 60 minutes and it'll just be the same mess.

G

No it wouldnt be as much of a mess though.. How many free accounts can someone get? I mean comon.. It would be more usefull than letting people just gain bonuses all day long for leaving 20 sims afk. They couldnt do this AS MUCH with this solution.

^^Above

N

NightFlyer

The old suggestion of showing properties online in order of when they came on-line still works. If they go off-line they drop to the bottom of the list. It's simple really.

But then EA doesn't like the simple suggestions.

G

That is a horrible idea... No offense. People would have nothing to work towards, and people would still sit afk all day. Then, good shops would never be in order, it would just be who came on first? Wierd...

N

NightFlyer

You're right, they would have to actually enforce the time out override. That wouldn't work for EA. Even though it is part of thier own ToS. We all know how well they enforce that.

G

Adding on to the idea of first come first serve list idea:

This would cause more lag to the game.. Having an updater constantly updating the list would NOT be a simple solution to the game. We would have even more lag and the devs would be in chaos lol

P

Paula777

yea mixed feelings as well... thought i'd stay out of it but i'm all bored....

N

nodgree

Or, EA could just moniter IP's and if there are alot of Sims from the same IP in the store, it would cancel the time accumulation out. Only UNIQUE visitors would be recorded.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Or, EA could just moniter IP's and if there are alot of Sims from the same IP in the store, it would cancel the time accumulation out. Only UNIQUE visitors would be recorded.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ I think that is a good idea myself.. Only one problem, EA better find a way to do that atomatically because we all know they wouldn't do it manually.

I think it's a great idea!

N

nodgree

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ I think that is a good idea myself.. Only one problem, EA better find a way to do that atomatically because we all know they wouldn't do it manually.

I think it's a great idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure our IP's are allready monitered as soon as we log in. It would be simple to impliment it into the stores, hell, into any lot for that matter. The thing is, people will find a way around anything EA does to fix the game for those of us who actually PLAY the game. Its a shame a handfull of people have to cheat and ruin it.

G

I think it would be smart to bring these 2 new solutions for the property list to the devs. And this is not just for stores, what so ever. Mainly for stores because that is where the main problem is, but there still is somewhat of a problem elsewhere.

I

imported_Fire Dragon

I think they should rethink the whole top 100 lists and just have a general search engine where you can search for all and/or only online properties/sims. Same as a search when you can type in a word ie "pizza" and only find places that have pizza listed in their house bios, that sort of thing.

N

NightFlyer

..."This would cause more lag to the game.. Having an updater constantly updating the list would NOT be a simple solution to the game. We would have even more lag and the devs would be in chaos lol "...

The game is constantly updating. This is not an issue. With every flicker of a flame in a fireplace the game updates. You never noticed this as houses with 3 coming on-line (or going off-line) update the map filters?

I

imported_Fire Dragon

<blockquote><hr>

Actually...no. I have a new idea. I think the rating should not be judged on visitor hours, but on visitor entries. Each day the shops should be judged on how many people come into their shop. Then, that will account towards the visitor rating. And to take care of people trying to make people come to their lot just for a bonus, the longer that sim stays, the better.. Except one main point. The bonus will only count for x amount of bonus, and will not keep adding after x amount of minutes, such as 60. This would take care of the situation. I know it is complicated and I might not of explained it the best, but you get the idea of how there are options.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea, where the visitors are counted per sim visiting, not the amount of time they visit, but would have to stay at least 5 mins for it to count. Ofcourse ppl could get around this by sending in sims for 5 mins, sending them out and doing it over and over. However, considering the stores with umpteen dozen sims hiding on the lot are generally afk 23/7, it would mean a lot more work for them to get the 'visitors'

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm sure our IP's are allready monitered as soon as we log in. It would be simple to impliment it into the stores, hell, into any lot for that matter. The thing is, people will find a way around anything EA does to fix the game for those of us who actually PLAY the game. Its a shame a handfull of people have to cheat and ruin it.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sure there will be those who will find a way around it; but getting into the game with 30 unique IP addresses (including subnets) would be such a huge pain in the ass that it may well deter most people from trying.

I think granting visitor hours based on number of unique IP addresses present is the most sane, sensible way of reigning in this AFK-and-hiding problem - and may restore my confidence in the top 100 system (as it is now, I never go to stores listed in the top ten unless I know the people there).

G

How about they are rated by sales rather than by hidden visitors?

P

PB Three

This is regarding both free &amp; paid alt accounts: (almost) every store #1-55 use alt sims to boost their time. This won't be stopped easily unless a drastic... and likely unpopular... change happens.

Stores pretty much can't make a living without such things, my friends.

P.S. When I'm at *my* store I never AFK unless I need to... or if another roommie is there to help out.
I simply use alt sims to keep the store at least somewhat profitable.

EDIT: I know well that this is a huge change in my views from less than week ago.

Just my 0.02 simoleons.

PB Three

I

Inge Jones

Perhaps it could be per unique IP visit. Though I suppose then everyone would be using proxies.

Another idea is there there is actually a rating system, and only paying accounts can give a rating - one per account. Rating can be changed (for example if the shop goes downhill after you already rated it good)

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

How about they are rated by sales rather than by hidden visitors?

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to this idea. The update wouldn't be a big deal since they monitor the hours anyway so do away with visitor hours and position homes according to sales. After all, look at all the beautiful custom content not to mention the time these creators put into thier items. They should be holding those top spots. But in all actuallity, everyone who shops scroll past those top properties anyway to get to the good stuff. LOL

A

ayla02

How about we all find a store where they do not have a ton of sims hiding and we get the attention of the store owners/roomies that we deserve. The store I go to the owner has been there and attentive to my needs all but one time. I would like to put the stores name here but am not sure that would be ok so, if you want to know the store look me up in game. I am Ayla. This store does not have a lot of CC but it is not all about CC now is it? This store is not online all the time like the AFKers but worth the wait for the attention a lot of us are looking for.

V

vapd3317

Very rarely if ever, do I visit the #1 property in ANY category. I usually start at the bottom of the list because those people are much more appreciative of having visitors. What ever happened to all the talk about us getting rid of the top 100 list anyway?. I thought THAT was one of the best ideas out here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Very rarely if ever, do I visit the #1 property in ANY category. I usually start at the bottom of the list because those people are much more appreciative of having visitors. What ever happened to all the talk about us getting rid of the top 100 list anyway?. I thought THAT was one of the best ideas out here .

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that being said too

Why cant we just have a directory with a section for each category

you can then either search online properties or by what they sell/skill/which money items they have

When setting up a property you have to tick (or whatever) which you want to be listed under

Shops - catalogue, clothing and/or cc
Skill Houses - Logic, Mech, Charm, Creativity, Body and/or Cooking
Money Houses - Pizza, Code, Band, Potions, Gnomes, Paints, Telesales, and so on

That way WE only see what we WANT to see. Stuff visitor hours and top 100 lists

R

rookie

I agree something needs to change with the top 100 list. I have 4 accounts that I pay for and if you want to be anywhere near the top you are forced to hide sims from your other account for hours. I got as high as #8 only because I was keeping all 4 of my paid accounts in my house for 10+ hours a day. I finally gave up because I felt and have always felt like this is the wrong way to run a store. So now I have been greeting everyone with an IM as they come in and logging off whenever I am afk. So as I watch my store plumet down the top 100 list I come here and see this post and completely agree that something need to change with top 100 lists. I saw something about making a store open all the time with no owner possibly coming soon, but does that mean you will still be able to hide multiple accounts for hours? If so nothing will change. What about counting unique visitors much like website stat trackers do, where a visitor is only counted again after a certain amount of time passes like 15 minutes or something or make us stand at a cash register to make a sale like in real life. Total visitor hours just doesnt work anymore and hasnt in a long time. 200+ hours for a top store and 50+ just to crack the top 9? This is getting rediculous. Good luck ever finding what you need at those top stores.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

Many of you guys missed the point.... Stores, or ANY property for that matter should be number 1 because they earned it! Because people like them the best and because they have good products! Not because they can afford to pay for 50 accounts and have 100 computers running sims...
It isn't fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think it takes fun away from the many other players trying to make something for themselves.
It's hard enough to save the money to buy a property, build and furnish it. It would be nice if after you go through all that, you are rewarded by being in a directory so visitors notice you...instead of off the list, not on the map, and sitting there with your thumb you know where.

G

Without the top 100 list, no one would know what to search! That is a horrible idea! We need to see names!!!!! We would be searching constantly and the game would not be fun at all!

Also, on the idea of counting sales.... Theres just one HUGE problem. The owner or roomies will set hundreds of boxes out for 0 and bring their alts on to buy them.... Not fair again

The IP Counter is the best idea yet.

I

imported_Qute Pi

It doesn't have to be just a search tool.
You can have a phone book type directory sortable based on any number of things.

And a search section, that would be useful to more than just the name of the property.

You can still have a list of skill properties, or stores, or whatever, just make it so the list is randomized so its fair to everyone, instead of in order by who can sit the most sims on a property for the longest period of time.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I really don't appreciate the 'Sim Day Care Center' stores either. There's not really much that can be done about it except just don't do business with them. Which I try to practice as much as possible.

My main knitpick concerning stores is the 'false advertisement'.

I have an idea for developement.

First off....after cruising around checking out some things....I am really liking the idea of an auction house run by EA and NPC's. Someplace we could land at 24/7 and be free green. We can sell our junk and treasures and buy junk and treasures.

Now on that NPC lot should be a 'store directory kiosk'. When clicked on, the viewer would get a listing of standard items available. Once a viewer decides what they want, they click on it and a listing of all the stores open that have the item in stock could be displayed. Then the player decides what store they actually wish to visit.

(I LOVE the idea of having mailboxes and being able to send mail to each other. Send mail, money or objects....can the devs think this over seriously?)

G

<blockquote><hr>

(I LOVE the idea of having mailboxes and being able to send mail to each other. Send mail, money or objects....can the devs think this over seriously?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a feature I really miss from my other game. It makes trading items and money between characters on the same account much simpler and safer, and you can send somebody something even if they are offline, so you don't have to wait around for them.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW has an auction house type thing like that. It was one of my favorite places to visit during the short time I played that game. They also have the mail thing as well. Was a great feature, I'd love to see in EA Land.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

It doesn't have to be just a search tool.
You can have a phone book type directory sortable based on any number of things.

And a search section, that would be useful to more than just the name of the property.

You can still have a list of skill properties, or stores, or whatever, just make it so the list is randomized so its fair to everyone, instead of in order by who can sit the most sims on a property for the longest period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that the Devs will change how stores work when they get the time. However until then I wish for the store category only (for testing purposes) they would just generate a list of stores that are open. The list should be randomized not alphabetical or else we will see umpteen listings of AAA for stores names. The list should be constantly refreshed so no one store sits in the top spot.

I think EA could also sell ad space to store owners as a money drain on the listing page, maybe off on the sides of the store list. Basing achievement on sales to others will not work as others have pointed out. Alts will just buy items and trade them back to the owner.

G

I like the idea of the mailbox and the auction house, but comon guys.. Please stay on topic.

The randomized or refreshing list is bad because owners have nothing to work towards. The IP List still makes most sense. It is fair and gives owners a goal to work towards.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

{quote]<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW has an auction house type thing like that. It was one of my favorite places to visit during the short time I played that game. They also have the mail thing as well. Was a great feature, I'd love to see in EA Land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the store category needs a total revamp because it really shouldn't work the same way as say skilling/money/other type houses.

First off in real....if I walked into a store and a bunch of people appeared to be hiding....I'd get the willies....or maybe I've been nominated for an episode of "what not to wear" and they are getting ready to spring the loaded credit card on me.

Ea needs to make it worthless to keep a bunch of alts hidden all day at an afk store.

Making stores part of a 'system' which would include auction houses, post offices, etc. will take a bit of planning and developing but I think it's something that the devs need to place on their short list of 'things to do' in TSO.

I do believe that Luc once mentioned something about an AH (and a downtown)....I wonder if that's still milling around in his thoughts?

(yeah....just a little editorial at the bottom of my post if I may.....yeah....I signed for a 15 day trial account over there when I couldn't get logged into TSO and I didn't convert it to a paid account because number 1 and foremost....most of the players in WoW are nothing but ill-mannered jerks and Game Managers doesn't give a flying fudge about it either. It makes me feel good to log into TSO and here are all these little villages with people trying to build a community....together. Not like that other site that has literally said they have a hands off approach and just throws a slab of meat on the table for the rabid animals to devour as fast as they can and then start feeding off each other.)