• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Former roleplayer checking in

Hello to all in the Catskills roleplaying community!

I was a roleplayer in Ultima Online, on and off, for more than a decade, though I left the game a number of years ago.

My main character was Zombi Rothgar, in the guild The Undead, variously abbreviated as [Und], [UD], [U_D], [U-D] (and [EVL] when we were known as United Evil in 1999.) In later years, I switched my focus to playing as Talmek, who never did join a guild but was a regular tavern-goer and storyteller during Bards' Nights. There were other characters I played, but these two were the most prominent.

Events over the past year, in both my personal life and the wider world, have given me cause for reflection. Among other things, I've realized that UO was a more important part of my life than I had cared to admit. The old community websites I had bookmarked seem to be gone, but a quick search led me here. Seeing familiar names still around and keeping this
shared world alive has been an unexpected source of comfort.

I interacted with a lot of guilds and groups over those years... The orcs of the Shadowclan, the Zombie Horde, the Crimson Alliance, the Celts, the Balance, the Picts, the Free Corps, assorted Drow, the Kingdom of Winterfell, the Undead Minions of the Well, everyone in and around Yew, the Purple Guardians of Honor, Bedlam, the United Pirates, various Vampires, and many more than I don't currently remember.

Of course, guilds are collections of people. I could spend paragraphs just rattling off names of characters I remember from bygone days, but this post is already starting to run on. So let me just add that I'm delighted to see both Aedon Durreah and James are still hosting tavern nights and story contests. And to the community at large, past and present- even if it was mostly make believe, you have my deepest gratitude for being a part of my life, and allowing me to be a part of yours.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey there ZR, long time no see.
It is always so nice to see another name form days gone by. Gives me a chance to stop and remember some of the really fun times. And like you, I know that the Catskills community was a great part of my life. I have seen people grow up here, have children and move in and out of my life always leaving me feeling both saddened and grateful for the time we shared.

Life happens so often for us. A few years back, due to problems in the economy for more than two years. During this time I found myself homeless and living in a shelter. The Wife I was able to send to live with our son at the time. But his space was small, and he was already taking in his mother and two cats. And though it may seem odd to many, one of the first things I did once we were settled and back on our feet was to restart UO and run into Aegis. I was lucky to find my house spot still vacant, and the Rest still standing, but in another's hands. Within a few months the owner of the Rest and the Tower behind it offered the plots to me.

It is odd to say, but regaining the Rest made me feel whole again, and at home. I suppose that is due to the memories and good feelings I hold for that little patch of virtual land. Much of the Glade now houses a castle which I placed when things got tight again, and then gave to James Bunny-man. I mean, who deserves a castle more than James? I replaced the Knights Rest next to the castle.

If you are ever in game, drop by in Aegis and I can offer you a good drink and a place to rest your head.

Last edited:

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Always good to see a familiar name and a 'deadie' at that! I miss Satamarin and Serena's marble coastal property! Glad you took the time to share your thoughts and memories.

If any of you deadies get the urge to return... I know this fantastic place called Trinsic where this guy who keeps hammering nails into people - he could use a good thumping... repeatedly... in the platemail helmet with something hard like a brick. *grins* :heart: John.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nice to see you posting here, I definitely remember you from back in the day.

Hope you consider what people have suggested and give UO another try. The RP community is still here and a lot of fun. If you still have ICQ, feel free to message me at #6082388.

Travixus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey ZR! Long time no see!

About a year ago or so, Ajar Deathstrike made a private Facebook group and managed to actually track down a number of old deddies I haven't heard from in many years and from a bunch of different Necropolis/Satamarin groups. UD, U-D, Und, ZH, CA, NPS, etc. Out of game organization was never our strong suit but somehow Ajar managed to herd a few dozen old cats into one place. I'm sure there are many folks there you know who would love to hear from you. I'll PM you the info.

Last edited: