• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

for Rykus

G

"Compact integrated construction!"

"5 mil characters on 50 disks!"

Won't run well in Luna.

R

Rykus

Wow.. 5 meg hard drive with FIFTY platters the size of a dinner plate. That "wired format control" looks like it was just a large breadboard with all hand-run wiring. Which I'm sure it was. It's just amazing that at this point we could replicate that thing's functionality on a piece of silicon a few mm square and it would be millions of times faster.

I had no idea YouTube had videos of things like that. Neat-O

G

*chuckles* Our lap tops are incredible machines. The desk tops... We live in amazing times. When I was a kid, there were 4 channels to choose from. I remember the invention of the home calculator. It cost over a hundred dollars back then.

I remember the first video games. Pong took the spot of my favorite pin ball machine. Remember when skipping school and hanging out at the pool hall was cool? If so you are over 40 years old. They played dominoes there a lot.

Now and again, the old guys *chuckles* would let us play dominoes with them. They usualy kicked our young punk asses. But we learned and won an odd game or two. I do know the more we played, the better we got.

Any of you folks ever played a snooker game for money? That was entertainment back then. Risk and reward. I know I am rambling.

We few that play here understand. With out a modicum of risk, the reward is just a pellet. *nods*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Any of you folks ever played a snooker game for money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I won, too

G

lol even as a kid i can remember my parents paying 400$ for an external harddrive for our mac that gave it an extra whopping 40mb of storage. But for me as a kid that meant hundreds of new games that i could download from aol.

i mean computers are evolving at an insane rate and i dont think itll be long before they are thinking for us.

G

<blockquote><hr>

my first computer was a Timex Sinclear 1000

http://oldcomputers.net/ts1000.html

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of us made goofy little programs in BASIC on this gem? (Radio Shack TRS-80 III):

?

*raises hand*

We had one at my school...along with this guy:

Eeeeep! Apple...move along, nothing to see here...

-Skylark

S

Sir Ha-ward

<blockquote><hr>

*chuckles* Our lap tops are incredible machines. The desk tops... We live in amazing times. When I was a kid, there were 4 channels to choose from. I remember the invention of the home calculator. It cost over a hundred dollars back then.

I remember the first video games. Pong took the spot of my favorite pin ball machine. Remember when skipping school and hanging out at the pool hall was cool? If so you are over 40 years old. They played dominoes there a lot.

Now and again, the old guys *chuckles* would let us play dominoes with them. They usualy kicked our young punk asses. But we learned and won an odd game or two. I do know the more we played, the better we got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you remember Sherman marching through Atlanta and the Wright Brothers first flight?

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

How many of us made goofy little programs in BASIC on this gem? (Radio Shack TRS-80 III):

?

*raises hand*

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is actually the computer that got me interested in technology. I saw one of these on display at Radio Shack when I was 8 and thought it was the most high-tech thing I'd ever seen (because it was I at the time I suppose). Within a few months I had a TRS-80 CoCo, which kinda sucked but was awesome at the time. After that I had a TI-99/4a, then shortly after a C-64. ...all of which I still have in my garage.

The wife and I have spent the last month getting everything arranged out there to get them all on the bench and running. By bench, I mean a rather large computer bench/rack (weighs 300+ pounds) that we used to have all of our servers on at work during the 90's and early 2000. Room enough for 4 monitors and 20 or so systems simultaneously. Just yesterday I got out and dusted off the TI, CoCo, C-64,C-128D, and various old PCs including some 286's, 386's (both SX and DX), 486's, and other PCs throughout the various Pentium generations and AMD K series CPUs, including a few never released experimental chips. I'll be working on them through the summer to get them all operational again to show the kids, mine and maybe others, how tech has progressed just in my lifetime. Once that's done, I'm thinking about building one of those sit-down video game machines using a PC and M.A.M.E.

G

Har...TI-99/4A...I vaguely remember my dad waited in line for ages at the store when they were first released and was fortunate enough to get one for us (unlike many parents who went home disappointed when they sold out), and we were just in awe of it!

My older sisters were never much interested in it, but my brother, and I hooked up our dad's tape recorder to it to save/load our amazingly 'leet BASIC programs with dancing stick people and such (I suspect I still have a few of those tapes stashed somewhere)...and then they came out with this MONSTROUS expansion unit and 5.25" floppy drive you could add to it, and the *gasp* cartridge which expanded it by 16K!! We could not afford that expansion module but our parents got us the memory cartridge, and we thought that was the coolest thing! Our programs increased in sophistication accordingly...we could have MORE stick people dancing!

I also remember when they came out with the "speech synthesis" module...I probably still have all those goofy speech clips from the cartridge games for the TI-99/4A filed away in my "organic" memory.

-Skylark

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first real computer was a IBM Clone XT 8 mgzts with a Hercules graphics with Amber monitor card that i up graded to CGA with 16 colors 10 meg RLL hard drive 640K memory and 5 1/4 single density floppy drive

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a Vic 20 and C64 but i think everyone did back then.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember typing games out of magazines Peek and Poke and bunch of numbers.

G

Remember playing frogger on a vic20 you needed to press play on a kind of tape cassette!