• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) For Love of Yew

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The night was moving on and in the east, the first pale rays of a new day could be seen straining to light up the horizon. It had been a long and fitful night; sleep it would seem was an impossible luxury. Sitting before the hearth Aedon sipped at a cup of tea, his mind lost in thoughts of the night before.

He had attended the meeting of the Governors at Castle Blackthorn hoping for a chance to bring voice to his concerns for Yew. It seemed odd that an area rich in lumber and dotted with farmlands still struggled to feed the families which populated the area. Many of the locals had little to set on their tables after sending all they could to the market place.

Yew had always been a town that cared more for the welfare of the whole, and not what one person could accrue for himself. But good will was beginning to run short in the face of empty bellies, and farmers with children to feed felt they had little choice but to keep what meager leavings there were to feed their own children.

Even the monks of the Empath Abby could not provide much in the way of aid. Years of some funds strained to the max coupled with a couple of poor harvests left small funds which they were sorely pressed to stretch between more and more of the local folks.

Aedon had hoped to convey to the king the plight of the people and land he loved. He could not see going before the seat of Sosaria asking for meaningless improvements to things he saw as window dressing suited more to more affluent cities, but not to a backwoods town in the forests of Yew. He had come to know that someone had been in secret clear cutting areas of the woods, and shipping the lumber off to who knows where. No funds from these resources ever reached the people.

He had his chance to speak to Lord Blackthorn, and it seemed to go well once he was convinced that Yew did have a need. So with some success, you would think that sleep would have come easy that night. But it was something said- a question from the King which brought about a fitful night.

“Have you thought of running for Governor of Yew?”

Well, in truth the thought had crossed his mind, but the idea of being fully responsible for the welfare of an entire area did not appeal to him It would seem to be a heavy work load and might leave him little time for his books, much less along walk in the woods. But where he valued his privacy and way of life, the people of the Yew area had become far dearer to his heart. Taking a pen from the table and a piece of parchment, Aedon began to write.

To the people of the Greater Yew area, I have decided to seek office as Governor of our fair town, and hope to receive your confidence and vote. While I cannot promise you that things will improve right away, and all the trials we have faced through the past years will end, I can promise you this.

If elected, I will work tirelessly to see to the needs and issues dear to us all. I will if need be roll up my sleeves and help to clear the dead brush and till the lands to increase farmable soil which will increase the foods to sustain us all. I will seek greater trade deals which will bring in funds to enable the City of Yew to help herself. We can ask for a hand out from the crown, but when those funds ran out we would be facing the same troubles. And I will not seek to govern you but to serve the citizens of the woods and forests we all call home.

You all know me, I am a long time resident of the area, though at times I may have been given to wander. But always, no matter how far I have journeyed, I have felt the call to come home. The times have been bad, but working together we can build a brighter future, and remind the larger towns that Yew still matters and can support not only her people, but the growing need for resources by towns everywhere.

Thank you for your consideration

Aedon Durreah-Guardian of Aegis,