• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First UO Newsletter!

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Getting free is very nice because I can't in good conscience spend money on it for two accounts in the same month that the Game of the Year comes out (Metal Gear Solid V)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@Mesanna -

For those who don't get it free through subscribing, can you provide us what the expansion will cost? It might help those players who have inactive accounts decide whether it is worth subscribing an account for a month to get it free or holding off until later.
A month costs less than $14 and I can't imagine an expansion with new land and items and crap being cheaper than that. And yeah it's probably time to just start bundling Stygian Abyss and such with the game same as ML and all the previous expansions.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Getting free is very nice because I can't in good conscience spend money on it for two accounts in the same month that two months before the Game of the Year comes out (Metal Gear Solid V) Fallout 4
Fixed that for ya. ;)

I would have paid for it, but I think making it free with a paid account is a great way to get people who are on the fence to re-up their UO accounts and give it a shot. Even currently active players with spare closed accounts (which is probably a lot of us) will have incentive to pay those accounts at least once. I didn't expect it at all, but I think it's a good move... and will earn some player love as an extra bonus.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fallout 3 was horribly written and Fallout 4 would have a much better chance at GotY if it was written by Obsidian and MGSV wasn't the end of the series :cool:

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So appreciate the free upgrade. Hooray Broadsword!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I get the feeling that Dread War Horses and Bane Dragons will be spawning in Shadowguard.
Looks like a lot of people don't know that there already are Raptors in game. http://www.uoguide.com/Raptor. They take too much Taming though, since Bake Kitsunes are stronger/tougher and take less to tame.
16 skills getting Masteries, with 35 Mastery spells/abilities? Looks like some skills will be getting 3 Abilities, while others only get 2. Hopefully the Masteries bring life back to some dead skills...*cough* Macing *cough*.

Getting free is very nice because I can't in good conscience spend money on it for two accounts in the same month that the Game of the Year comes out (Metal Gear Solid V)
You're forgetting, Fallout 4 was announced at this years E3, and is also coming out this year. Every time Bethesda Game Studios releases a game, they win GotY. Been that way since 2001, with TES III: Morrowind.

Last edited:

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'll win game of the year from something. Most big games end up with Game of the Year somehow :)

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
My only question is, does the expansion also wrap in any or all previous expansions? I could see the rural and gothic addons not being included, but SA/etc?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I rather doubt it. Seriously they have no idea about pets... They think Skree and Reptalons deserve 4 slots.
Yeah, or the aforementioned Raptors. They tried to make them a better, improved version of Frenzied Ostards basically, but failed at that. Difference is, Frenzied Ostards are at the top for 1 Slot pets, but there are numerous 2 Slot pets that beat out the Raptor, such as the Nightmare, Bake Kitsune or Fire Steeds.
The Reptalon did originally deserve the 4 Control Slots in ML Beta, because they could do Nerve Strike (back when Nerve Strike did an extra 20+ direct damage and an unbreakable 3 sec stun). People complained about it's implications for PvP, and so it was changed to Paralyzing Blow (pretty worthless for a pet). They should just give Reptalons the Life Drain ability that Vampire Bats have (Reptalons even look like bats in CC), so that they can compete with Cu Sidhes in terms of self healing (or even out heal the Cu Sidhe, if the Reptalon is fighing an Energy-weak opponent).

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah, or the aforementioned Raptors. They tried to make them a better, improved version of Frenzied Ostards basically, but failed at that. Difference is, Frenzied Ostards are at the top for 1 Slot pets, but there are numerous 2 Slot pets that beat out the Raptor, such as the Nightmare, Bake Kitsune or Fire Steeds.
The Reptalon did originally deserve the 4 Control Slots in ML Beta, because they could do Nerve Strike (back when Nerve Strike did an extra 20+ direct damage and an unbreakable 3 sec stun). People complained about it's implications for PvP, and so it was changed to Paralyzing Blow (pretty worthless for a pet). They should just give Reptalons the Life Drain ability that Vampire Bats have (Reptalons even look like bats in CC), so that they can compete with Cu Sidhes in terms of self healing (or even out heal the Cu Sidhe, if the Reptalon is fighing an Energy-weak opponent).
Honestly I still feel the Reptalon is the hands down best pet for going to Travesty with, their AoE attack keeps the mirror images at bay allowing them to focus damage, and helps out the entire group.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly I still feel the Reptalon is the hands down best pet for going to Travesty with, their AoE attack keeps the mirror images at bay allowing them to focus damage, and helps out the entire group.
Reptalons don't have an AoE attack. They have Firebreath and Paralyzing Blow.

The only pet in all of UO history to ever have an AoE spell/ability, was the White Wyrm. They used to be able to cast Mass Curse. That caused problems however, because they'd cast Mass Curse on a target, and it'd also hit any guildies near the target (including the WW's owner), so the WW would often times switch targets and chomp on the tamer or his guildies. Back then, standing next to your WW to vet him, could get you killed because of the WW's Mass Curse. Because of that, they eventually got rid of the WW's ability to cast Mass Curse.
Actually, Ki-Rins have the ability to AoE as well. When their rider reaches low health, the Ki-Rin will cast Chain Lightning on his rider's last attacker, which can hit nearby enemies.

Since they've fixed the problem with AoE spells unintentionally hitting guildies, they should really add in some pets with AoE capability. Wouldn't mind seeing them able to cast stuff like Mass Curse, Chain Lightning, Meteor Swarm, Thunderstorm, Essence of Wind or Hail Storm.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Reptalons don't have an AoE attack. They have Firebreath and Paralyzing Blow.

The only pet in all of UO history to ever have an AoE spell/ability, was the White Wyrm. They used to be able to cast Mass Curse. That caused problems however, because they'd cast Mass Curse on a target, and it'd also hit any guildies near the target (including the WW's owner), so the WW would often times switch targets and chomp on the tamer or his guildies. Back then, standing next to your WW to vet him, could get you killed because of the WW's Mass Curse. Because of that, they eventually got rid of the WW's ability to cast Mass Curse.
Actually, Ki-Rins have the ability to AoE as well. When their rider reaches low health, the Ki-Rin will cast Chain Lightning on his rider's last attacker, which can hit nearby enemies.

Since they've fixed the problem with AoE spells unintentionally hitting guildies, they should really add in some pets with AoE capability. Wouldn't mind seeing them able to cast stuff like Mass Curse, Chain Lightning, Meteor Swarm or Hail Storm (for the Skree).
And here I was assuming they did, since it they do so well for me there. But I do know they tear through Travesty better than most pets.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with you about the Raptors and Reptalons. At first raptors could call his 2 friends making 2 raptors 6 raptors... which was great for tamers. But in PvP they thought it was overpowered... This is a massive problem for Tamers. The most annoying thing is that magic users and dexers all have some sort of "cap" for their skills to balance in PvP. But when they try to "Balance" tamers they infact make them useless for everything else. You can't Balance the Tamer though the pets. Perhaps they should balance the tamer in other ways. I would say don't let the pet do certain attacks against players. Instead of never. So in PvM Reptalons can do more damage with the Nerve Strike... but in PvP they get life drain or something... And raptors can call friends in PvM but not PvP.That would be a vast improvement. As for the Skree... it needs to be able to use more spells or have 2x the HP and Str. The CuSidhe needs a speed boost. Most pets could use a boost of HP. Mobs anymore do Far more damage than many pets have HP. Old pets were fine years ago when things didn't do as much damage but now that newer mobs do massive damage along with area effect most pets just aren't relevant anymore.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with you about the Raptors and Reptalons. At first raptors could call his 2 friends making 2 raptors 6 raptors... which was great for tamers. But in PvP they thought it was overpowered... This is a massive problem for Tamers. The most annoying thing is that magic users and dexers all have some sort of "cap" for their skills to balance in PvP. But when they try to "Balance" tamers they infact make them useless for everything else. You can't Balance the Tamer though the pets. Perhaps they should balance the tamer in other ways. I would say don't let the pet do certain attacks against players. Instead of never. So in PvM Reptalons can do more damage with the Nerve Strike... but in PvP they get life drain or something... And raptors can call friends in PvM but not PvP.That would be a vast improvement. As for the Skree... it needs to be able to use more spells or have 2x the HP and Str. The CuSidhe needs a speed boost. Most pets could use a boost of HP. Mobs anymore do Far more damage than many pets have HP. Old pets were fine years ago when things didn't do as much damage but now that newer mobs do massive damage along with area effect most pets just aren't relevant anymore.
Yeah, they also nerfed the tinkered Leather Wolf's ability to summon 2 other Leather Wolves as well. Odd thing about that ability, is that while the tinkered Leather Wolf couldn't damage a Shadow Ore Ele or Gregorio, his summoned Leather Wolves could.
It would probably be fine to give Nerve Strike back to the Reptalon now, since Nerve Strike itself has been nerfed several times since ML Beta. It does less damage now, and it does a breakable Paralyze, no longer an unbreakable Stun.
Skrees just flat out need a ****load more Mana, Mana Regen and Eval/Focus. Their biggest problem, is that since their melee damage massively sucks, their only real form of damage output is spells, and once they run out of Mana (which they will) they're worthless. Even with GM Eval and supposedly GM Focus (doesn't show up in Lore), their spells don't hit hard enough to compete with other pet's melee damage.

Anyways, hopefully Taming gets some Skill Masteries of it's own, and hopefully not only will they add new pets, but do the long awaited pet revamp soon.

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And here I was assuming they did, since it they do so well for me there. But I do know they tear through Travesty better than most pets.

Thx for reminding me i heard that for years but never got around to test one at travesty

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hopefully not only will they add new pets, but do the long awaited pet revamp soon.

I want a pet revamp aswell but i m not so confident it will turn out any good if you follow the taming threads on forums you see that almost every tamer got a different opinion about what needs to be done and very few tamers that actually try out alot of different pets

So it is not realy clear what needs to be done

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I want a pet revamp aswell but i m not so confident it will turn out any good if you follow the taming threads on forums you see that almost every tamer got a different opinion about what needs to be done and very few tamers that actually try out alot of different pets

So it is not realy clear what needs to be done
I've tried out tons of pets... From Spiders including frost spiders to Raptors, reptalons, all the bears... etc... the Boura aren't bad tanks... but I keep wishing you could ride them... I would like to be able to tame a good spider like maybe the sentinel spider from down in the Underworld... some of the spiders from the weld... a dread spider... etc... Something that doesn't die instantly when a player hits it. I can see not being able to tame a trapdoor spider.... rather hard to drag it's hole around with you.

Wolf spiders are awesome fast but can't take any damage. That's the trouble with a vast majority of pets anymore. They simply don't have the resist or hit points to last in any sort of battle.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've tried out tons of pets... From Spiders including frost spiders to Raptors, reptalons, all the bears... etc... the Boura aren't bad tanks... but I keep wishing you could ride them... I would like to be able to tame a good spider like maybe the sentinel spider from down in the Underworld... some of the spiders from the weld... a dread spider... etc... Something that doesn't die instantly when a player hits it. I can see not being able to tame a trapdoor spider.... rather hard to drag it's hole around with you.

Wolf spiders are awesome fast but can't take any damage. That's the trouble with a vast majority of pets anymore. They simply don't have the resist or hit points to last in any sort of battle.

It was not directed at you but so many times I have talked to people in game that said
that and this pet sucks and when you ask them if they played alot with them they say no but tested out a fresh tamed once

Sounds more like they decided that the pet suck before they even gave it a try don´t it

Trap door spiders would be cool

They could use stealth (spider abush with a stealth tamer sounds :) fun)

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're forgetting, Fallout 4 was announced at this years E3, and is also coming out this year. Every time Bethesda Game Studios releases a game, they win GotY. Been that way since 2001, with TES III: Morrowind.
You're forgetting, they've never gone up against Hideo Kojima's swan swong :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It was not directed at you but so many times I have talked to people in game that said
that and this pet sucks and when you ask them if they played alot with them they say no but tested out a fresh tamed once

Sounds more like they decided that the pet suck before they even gave it a try don´t it

Trap door spiders would be cool

They could use stealth (spider abush with a stealth tamer sounds :) fun)
Doesn't it! I would love it. A pet revamp IMO is overdue.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

That's very true, so many people make their judgement without trying to get a pet up to it's potential first. I mean how many people would believe you if said you can kill Drakes with a Ferret? You can btw, it needs to be a rather good ferret and trained but you can do it with a bet of vetting.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just hope that among the new artifacts for this expansion is a 15/20 SDI spellbook with a random slayer property.
We need a reliable way to get those.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just hope that among the new artifacts for this expansion is a 15/20 SDI spellbook with a random slayer property.
We need a reliable way to get those.
One cool idea for a new artifact, would be a Dragon Helm that allows you to breath fire when you aggro on something, like how the Reptalon Form from the Talisman of the Fey works.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That's very true, so many people make their judgement without trying to get a pet up to it's potential first. I mean how many people would believe you if said you can kill Drakes with a Ferret? You can btw, it needs to be a rather good ferret and trained but you can do it with a bet of vetting.
I tamed a fresh boura for protection before i went and tried to tame a bake kitsune, "all guard me", alrighty "stop", it didnt listen to me and killed the bake. I bet there are a few more under rated pets like this somewhere :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You should see what 4 fully trained Turkeys do... or a couple fully trained 4.0 or better Wolf Spiders. I have 3 fully trained purple bunnies that cab take down ogres and trolls. Granted they die frequently, but I had them killing Reapers.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You should see what 4 fully trained Turkeys do... or a couple fully trained 4.0 or better Wolf Spiders. I have 3 fully trained purple bunnies that cab take down ogres and trolls. Granted they die frequently, but I had them killing Reapers.

This is the Ferret I think he was just under fully trained when I took this.

A friend of mine loves unusual pets, for example

She trained a packhorse and used it during the Dark Wisp Invasion in Moonglow, every time a chest dropped, she just tossed it in the horses pack.​

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So....blah blah..pets....:moo:
....something about tree hugging Tamers..... :danceb:

Now back on topic, What's going on with Castles? :eyes:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My tamer's stable is full of sentimental pets and pack horses. I'd be much more inclined to try alternative pets if I had a bunch more stable slots!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Have you seen the comments on Steam about UO? Do we even want them here......
Well Broadsword is kinda like... we kinda wanna do that... sooner or later... either do it or forget about it. If you are gonna do it this would be the time. People are always whiners on the internet ;) We could bomb them with positives if there was a reason too.