• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First Training on a 1 - 5 slot pet

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any reason to add a special move (or ability) in the first training point allocation on a fire or giant beetle?
(I was planing to just add resists, dex, stamina and hit points for the entire 1501)

Bearclaw

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The way I figure it is that as your leveling up the pet, you want to maximize survivability and how many times the pet can land a hit. So what I've been doing is first I do the math to decide where I want to be when I'm finished with all of the training. Then I map out how much of each improvement I'm going to add at each level.

For example, I'm currently working on a giant beetle, so when I went from 1 to 2 I added 120 wrestling (for max hits), 150 dex and stamina (because they are so cheap), specific resists to max I want (phy, fire, or energy depending on how I'm training my pet), and then the rest into hp. I save the rest of the resists and damage improvements until later stages. The only exception for me is any combat skill bumps. I'll add tactics, and anat between level 2 and 3 just so I can raise them as I train for the next level.

By doing it this way, I can take my lvl 2 beetle just about anywhere I want to train it without much trouble as long as I plan ahead with the proper resists.

This is just my way of doing it and I'm sure there are many other methods that will also work.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Everyone will have a different path to take... as long as you fix its resistances ( max them) it can have 200 HP and walk the deadlyist paths in just lvl 2... I like to max resist, mana reg , stam and dex, then give it some or all of its specials in round 1 just because it will start it using its mana, and help build med and focus early on for more mana reg... of course it will jump so fast from 2-5 that the order hardly matters... =^-^=

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Oh one thing.. if you decide to add speicals tot he beetle becareful which order ya add them in.. its most powerful combo Rune corruption has what I like to call " The Sealing bug" in it right now.. that is once its added it tends to seal the special , aoe , magical moves away making it unable to add more of those moves to its list even if that's the only moves you have added.. so becareful.. =^-^=
P.s. one of the orders Ive found to adding them is aoe ( move if ya want it to have one), Special move,special move( if ya want it to have an extra), Rune .. I've found with them less is more.. so normally armor ignore , rune is the only thing I add, so it only has a choice of buffing its white swings and armor ignore ..this will be a huge damage increase for it as the rune going off will make it do buffed white damage( melee swings) into the 85-105 range and armor ignores in the 134-160 range .. =^-^=

Last edited:

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They buffed the rate at which pets gain the poisoning skill the other day... so what use to takes hours just to gain .1-.5 now leaps into the 70-80 range in no time at all... sadly it will only put lvl 2 poison up at best..and only around GM..but for 1 training point and the fact that it procs off melee swings at the cost of no mana.. its truly worth the investment..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Also.. keep in mind some dang pets jump a freaking level in training. Had a Naja that was 2 - 5 slotter. The dang thing skipped the 3 upgrade round went straight from a 2 to a 4. Only got to upgrade it twice instead of three times.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Hate when that happens Kylie .. >-< sometimes the game round up on all the stats/skills and it will eat a slot ... lucky they base line the beetles... when ya start it steps into the new training system it knocks them down to the lowest base stats... .. it can still happen with them too, but its a lot harder for it to do so.. =^-^=

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First round on Beetle I have found for my builds stam hpr, resist, and I usually put anything that is left into str. Round 2 I add armor Ignore and Rune Corruption and finish dumping points into STR and anything left over into mana. Round 3 Mana Regen and everything else in to HP. Last round Stam Regen and add any scrolls I am going to add. A 120 focus and Med is real hand on a beetle in keeping their mana up and that RC and AI going off. And as Donavon said for 1 point why not toss the poison on :) Been doing LvL 6 maps solo with my blue beetle only time he had a major problem was when he got swarmed with 2 rune beetles, 2 lady of the snow and 1 Hiryu, a Dragon Wolf and those damn revs the LOTS like to drop. But that was more my fault for not hiding and getting on him fast enough and booking it off screen to take the guardians out 1-2 at a time.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also.. keep in mind some dang pets jump a freaking level in training. Had a Naja that was 2 - 5 slotter. The dang thing skipped the 3 upgrade round went straight from a 2 to a 4. Only got to upgrade it twice instead of three times.
Glad I'm not the only one that had this happen, I had that happen to me and after I scratched my bald head a few times I just chalked it up to "dang I'm gettin' old and musta read wrong to start". So thanks for getting my mojo back, hehe

But as a side note I finished the naja and he's the most fun pet I've had and I think the toughest tank I've done, he took on a paragon ancient wrym and survived quite easily but it would have taken him forever to kill it so I got my archer there for help.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hate when that happens Kylie .. >-< sometimes the game round up on all the stats/skills and it will eat a slot ... lucky they base line the beetles... when ya start it steps into the new training system it knocks them down to the lowest base stats... .. it can still happen with them too, but its a lot harder for it to do so.. =^-^=
Where I have had this happen on beetles are the ones scrolled and train up to over 100 Wrestle, tact, anat and resisting before they are a 4 slot. By the time they are 3 slot the resist, stam, str and other stats are well up there and training them to 120 in 1-4 skills puts them over the weight and the game gives you the finger and says Hey you don't get that last round of training sucker! Thats a large part of why I quit putting scrolls on anything until they were going 4-5 slot and not training anything seriously until it is a 4 slot pet. Have lost training on Rune Beetles, Fire Beetles and Lesser Hiryus that I made too buff too fast :) Losing that last round of training hurts, hurts even more if you dumped some scrolls into the pet that lost the last round.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My small hellcat was strange, in that it should have only gone to 3, but it went to 4.
It did jump a level from 2 to 3, so I feared it'd be over before I had a chance to really mold something proper, but then I got 1 level up for free.
Might have been a glitch, but I won't complain. This pet still is nothing to write home about, but it's fun to take out to kill Greater Dragons with a tiny kitten you can barely see - it also jumps up when fighting :D

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My small hellcat was strange, in that it should have only gone to 3, but it went to 4.
It did jump a level from 2 to 3, so I feared it'd be over before I had a chance to really mold something proper, but then I got 1 level up for free.
Might have been a glitch, but I won't complain. This pet still is nothing to write home about, but it's fun to take out to kill Greater Dragons with a tiny kitten you can barely see - it also jumps up when fighting :D
lol hehehehe luv it!

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it had some initial stats below 125 and they raised during training on their own?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it possible to get Mortal Strike, Armor Ignore, Rune Corruption and poison on a giant beetle?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Is it possible to get Mortal Strike, Armor Ignore, Rune Corruption and poison on a giant beetle?
Yes, it is.
But you will have to add them in this order:
AI, Mortal Strike, Rune Corruption and the poisoning.
If you add Rune Corruption first, you won't be able to add anything other than poisoning.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, it is.
But you will have to add them in this order:
AI, Mortal Strike, Rune Corruption and the poisoning.
If you add Rune Corruption first, you won't be able to add anything other than poisoning.
Thanks!

I see no area effects on giant beetle (or am I missing something?)

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
R Traveler
Yes, the kitty had 46 str/hp and some lowly dex/stam.
Str and HP are not the same value in all cases anymore, but for my small hellcat, it was. Every point in Str it gained also gave it 1 HP more.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only AOE abilities available to giant beetle are the ones you get from Poisoning, so you can either have Poisoning/AOE/Rune Corruption or Poisoning/AOE/Special Move.

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It looks as if they have done a change to the gaint beetle.. early on it would learn goo... but now it seems that the gaint beetle is the strong single target one.. and the fire beetle can learn goo... and be your aoe beetle... If you have one of the goo Gaint beetles you now have a living rare item...