• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First Impressions

R

Rhoark

I tried the new client for the first time last night, and here are my thoughts so far:

#1 This is the second best the game has ever looked. (The best was the first few years, despite the technological backwardness, because of the monolithically consistent art direction, 1:1 pixel mapping, and the general expertise in pixel art characteristic of the time.) While I like the terrain and replacements for later art, ideally these could be placed alongside the most original artwork for the original monsters. While pixies, unicorns, ki-rin, and juka are undoubtetly looking better, daemons, liches, gazers, headless, orcs, etc still look best in their original incarnations.

#2 Leading off the above, the continuous zooming feature is nice, but it would be nice to have a quick one-button way to set the zoom for 1:1 mapping of art pixels to screen pixels for maximum visual clarity.

#3 Gumps are incredibly inconsistent in visual style and functional interaction. There are at least 3 window themes regularly encountered: classic, a sort of classic-like stone-textured theme, and the translucent boxy style. These should be preferred in basically that order, using classic gumps whenever they can still serve their purpose, and with the translucent boxy style hopefully going away. Using boxes for book contents, rather than the actual pictures of books from classic, is particularly tacky. Also, every gump should be able to be dismissed with a right click, which is currently a crapshoot.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes unfortunately with number 1 they did away with the unique graphics the ec had a while back..

the EC used to have really nice grass texture as well as its own higher res artwork..

people complained that it didnt look like "uo" so they just copy and pasted the CC artwork.. witch makes it look pixelated.

number 2 you can make a custom zoom level that has 1:1 ratio and make it a key.
it was posted in the stickies somewhere.

and number 3.. i think most of the gumps are up to the ui creators..
the EC had its own gumps, from spell book and rune books to the crafting menu. ]

most of these were ugly and bulky, they got a lot of complaints so they cut and pasted in CC style gumps on a few of them.

since then pinco has made some nice changes to the animal lore gump as well as all spell books.

if you havent yet, install pincos ui, it fixes a lot of stuff and makes some nice changes.