• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First impression

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey, maybe I was being a bit a of a ****, I can admit that, but honestly... do you think this area looks ready/polished compared to Ilsh or Makato Stygian Abyss, or even t2a or the old lands? I honestly don't see how you can. It looks very rough even compared to Malas.

If your post was anything other than an opportunity for some passive aggression (I understand, being a developer is a pain in the ass and customers are often dickheads) I'll offer some more precise criticism...

Instead of using 2-3 trees in front of a flat field of grass as a border fill that grass area in with mountains, trees... whatever, and don't have an invisible wall, have a wall of unpassable vegetation. Invisible walls are a huge immersion killer, as are the vast completely clear spaces 10 tiles beyond them that are clearly just unedited land filling up the radar map space when you get near the border.

Look at your swamps. They are very dull. Take a look at the swamps in the old lands, better yet take a look at the swamps in Makato, those areas are excellent.

There are many areas that have serious repetition problems the pyramid area is culprit one. Its just looks like a paint bucket drop of morning glories with no rhyme or reason with a handful of palm trees tossed in randomly. The gardens outside of one of the tribes are another, albeit much smaller example. It's all one art piece dropped side by side by side by side on the "farm" tiles then moves on to the next farm tiles with the same method. Look at the farm tiles in Occlo, and mainland Skara Brae, see how they break up the space and use multiple pieces of art.

More than anything, many areas are just completely empty. The areas bordering water are big culprits here. The land is flat, there are no rocks (the kind you can walk over) there are no mushrooms, no grasses, no bumps or hills, just...flat grass. MANY areas are like that, like... 30% of the map is just empty open space with zero purpose or decoration. Is this land set aside for housing? Even so... you have produced many other examples of areas set aside for housing that doesn't look like green acres. Heck even Malas is much more decorated, and it's easily the least decorated facet in the game.
Take the time to go in and fill up these places. Put in little tribal alters or something if the land has no use other than to be a space between here and there. Give people a reason to look around, even if its just nicely placed plants.

Most of the waterfalls have map dirt poking out of them. Some are much worse than others.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and 99% of it is "Go look at the rest of the game...make it look like that."

This is all CC to clarify.

Unrelated to visuals, the carpet in the bar stage are on the overhead map, but not on the floor, although they do sometimes flicker in and out while you run around.

Some of the tribal chieftains don't leave bodies. I don't know if that's part of something or not.
Considering that I pull double duty as both world builder and designer I'm satisfied with the way the Valley turned out. That's not to say that I think it's perfect, and I agree with many of the points you brought up. The Valley is a constant work and progress and as time goes on the hope is to expand and polish it even further.

I think your initial characterization was completely out of line, and as someone who prides them self on being able to have a constructive exchange of ideas and criticisms it's unfortunate that's the tone by which you chose to offer feedback.

That all being said, thanks again for the feedback. Good or bad, it's the only way we can improve.