• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Finding treasure map locations?

Kristy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Is there a way to find the coordinates of treasure maps besides using Davies' Locker? Seems like there must be a way for people who do not have an 8 year old account, or cannot afford to buy an 8 year old vet reward? If so, how would you do it? Thanks :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do it the old fashioned way, go to the area and find it ;)

And I don't understand the concept of the locker, or what they were even thinking when they made it. Really? They randomized map locations so we couldnt just recall and dig, then they gave us the locker that gives the coordinates of the map...

Things lately just seen so confused, contradictory, and disjointed :coco:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, even with the locker ( which only gives the DEGREES, not degrees and minutes), I've searched for as long as 10 minutes to find chests with 90 mining (forgot to equip my Jacob's pickaxe before digging). At least with fishing up SOS you only have to be within a degree of the location, but that can get weird near server lines. T-maps can be just as bad with server lines, but with even shorter dig distances (examples I've run into have been on Eiffel Island, and along the server lines north of Britain (the line south of the mountains, and the one that goes north from that line through the woods outside Wind and Despise).

There's also the bug that only affects some people (one of the theories from years ago was that it was with people that moved their CC game window from its default position), where the map shows the map location even more off than it appears to everyone else. I've had my ENTIRE PIN on the map be on the wrong side of a river or ocean inlet before, in several locations.

Advice:
If you can, have 100 mining. Since you don't need Cartography on your character if that character was the one that decoded the map originally, you can do the following options:
  • Have 3 soulstones, and have Cartography on your character for the decoding, then swap to Mining for the dig, then after taking out the guardian spawn swarm, jump back home, swap mining for Lockpicking. After Looting the chest, you'll need to swap back to Mining (if you decoded multiple maps) or Cartography (if you used all your decoded maps) to repeat the process. This is generally a lot of work and chances for goof-ups, so it really is only worth doing if you only do high-level maps.
  • Preferred method: Have 2 soulstones. Have 85-90 mining on your character at all times, plus +5 gloves of mining (some of these can be really nice after imbuing and enhancing), and a Jacob's pickaxe (for another +10 mining). You have Cartography on the character to decode the maps, then put it onto the soulstone before leaving to dig, putting on Lockpicking. For the searching/digging, wear the gloves and wield the pickaxe to put you at 100 mining (even if you forget, you only lose one step of range). Once the map starts to come up, remove the mining gloves and pickaxe, then use macros to put on your normal gear. Finish map, then put the gloves and pickaxe back on before digging the next map. This method allows you to dig multiple maps without having to go back to your soulstones every chest.
When you are in the general area of your map, use some stackables that will really stand out against the background (I recommend enhanced bandages, as they also put some out there in case you accidentally die from the guardian spawn), and mark out the corners of a square that you are sure your chest should be in. Then, start at the bottom left (SW) corner, dig in all 4 directions, and if you don't find the map, take 3 steps forward (East) and repeat (and repeat, etc.). When you reach the other side of the square, if you haven't found it, take 3 steps north, then repeat the process going back West across the square. Continue going back and forth, slowly working north, until you find it. Effectively, this is "mowing the lawn" the way treasure hunters use towed sonar and magnetometer arrays to look for shipwrecks - and it works, at least as long as you chose the right area to look.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hm
Get all the mining you can in your char.
Use UOCart
Keep in mind, the actual location is directly beneath the pin head, and just above the pin. Not the point the pin hits the map.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With UOCart..... 98% of the time I'll hit the chest on first dig.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Holy crap I cant believe you can get coordinates from Davies Locker, been hardly playing since the change adding the giant X to the map and the ridiculously large "YOU" blocking the map where you are.
Thanks for the heads up.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you are in the general area of your map, use some stackables that will really stand out against the background (I recommend enhanced bandages, as they also put some out there in case you accidentally die from the guardian spawn), and mark out the corners of a square that you are sure your chest should be in. Then, start at the bottom left (SW) corner, dig in all 4 directions, and if you don't find the map, take 3 steps forward (East) and repeat (and repeat, etc.). When you reach the other side of the square, if you haven't found it, take 3 steps north, then repeat the process going back West across the square. Continue going back and forth, slowly working north, until you find it. Effectively, this is "mowing the lawn" the way treasure hunters use towed sonar and magnetometer arrays to look for shipwrecks - and it works, at least as long as you chose the right area to look.
I do it in a somewhat reverse way. Taking the pin as the hypotenuse of a right triangle, the chest will be at the point of the right angle. UOAM makes it very easy to find the nearly exact spot. If I don't find the chest on the first dig, then I drop a piece of cloth to mark and go north 4 tiles (the radius at GM skill). If I find nothing at that point, I go 4 tiles east and dig again, then 4 tiles south. If I still haven't found it, I go 4 tiles SW of the original point to dig again, 4 tiles north, and so on, forming a larger square around the first.

Kristy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hm
Get all the mining you can in your char.
Use UOCart
Keep in mind, the actual location is directly beneath the pin head, and just above the pin. Not the point the pin hits the map.
Can you tell me where to get UO Cartog? Seems every link I download has issues when I go to open it on my desktop even when opening as admin. maybe I am missing files or installing it incorrectly?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
using dragon + spellweaving to solo chest I do this
put on cart - decode all maps - take off cart
put on mining - luck up - go mark rune at spot and dig to find it and once it starts coming up and you see a dirt spot walk away.
this cancels the dig up
go back to house and take off mining - put on sw
dig up chest - kill with dragon + sw
take off sw - put on lockpicking + 70 resist fire suit
open chest and debomb
take off lickpicking - put sw on and go back and finish chest.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I love the lockers. didn't do maps until the lockers came out. on level 6 and 7 maps, I pull out one, maybe 2 things at a time, pet never dies unless I make mistake.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do it in a somewhat reverse way. Taking the pin as the hypotenuse of a right triangle, the chest will be at the point of the right angle. UOAM makes it very easy to find the nearly exact spot. If I don't find the chest on the first dig, then I drop a piece of cloth to mark and go north 4 tiles (the radius at GM skill). If I find nothing at that point, I go 4 tiles east and dig again, then 4 tiles south. If I still haven't found it, I go 4 tiles SW of the original point to dig again, 4 tiles north, and so on, forming a larger square around the first.

Exactly. Don't dig at the pinpoint, move over from it till you are directly beneath the head of the pin

Darius Bloodbain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Also, someone can put a Davies locker in a public house and set the security to anyone. Then anyone can drop a map on it and get coordinates. There is a person on our shard that has done this, and its been a great help to players that do not have their own Davies locker.

egglett

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im new to treasure hunting as well, only started this week !
But not really had much of a problem finding locations. I just use EC and max mining!,
also if you do get stuck on one leave it and do another. You can come back to it later

Morgy123

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
i normaly just look at the map and go dig only it it take me longer then 5min to find will i bothere use davis moustly the maps are oki enuf to use i got gm mining and its easy