Fiction and Immersion

• Thread starter UODevTracker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
C

Cal_Mythic

Personally, I find my leaning toward games with story more than anything else.
What is great about the Ultima Series and franchise IS exactly that.

As far as I know there were very few titles (from back in the day as they say) that allowed themselves to create a story wrapped with game trappings ... not game with story dolloped (sp?) on for good measure.

As far as UO is concerned, I can say it's more and more difficult to develop fiction adapting for every cycle of live event and still staying within the Ultima lore ... not simple the Ultima Online scope of that lore.

I read the history now and then, and I have cheated in the past and asked players offline to send me threads ... or read blogs about things of the past.

There are many ways to trip up ... it's almost like hearing a record skip when "feeling", purpose, and history don't sync up.

Then again there are those who just wanna show up and kill stuff. Well you can do that ... but you will rarely find me playing a "twitch" game ...

C

Cal_Mythic

Hey Trebr,

that's a salient point ... HAVE to subscribe to lore ... or I guess canon would be a better term (as mentioned above).

Taking a story or legacy and making it your own is a fine line you walk when dealing with any community.

There are some who thought the new Fallout was a sacrilege. That adapting a classic and not being TRULY faithful (what does that mean anyway? Isn't it all perception?) to the originals was something the new Fallout team missed the mark on?

But I definitely see the point of "Story and World" v. Game. That's a great input. *scribbles a note*

I believe that even in adapting a strategy for war or your life ... or in these terms based on the mythos of a game/product, it's important to know and respect its roots.

C

Cal_Mythic

Interesting comparison there.

One idea though, which may help players feel their participation is perhaps noticeably more important though, would be more regular reports on player "actions" within a story arc. That could be done more via small "easter eggs" within the shards themselves, via Stratics in more detail, or via the official website.
We tried actually incorporating this with fan fiction ... let's just say it did not go well. While I know there do exist some great writers in the UO community, we did not always get the best entries.

HOWEVER ... saying this I can tell you the EM applications and writing therein, that I have seen are amazingly good.

This is something to consider, though.