• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fastest and easiest way to train resist on GD?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
What's the easiest way to train resist on a Greater Dragon? Ideally, I'd like something relaxing so I can do it while watching TV or folding laundry. I read the suggestions on the FAQ but it sounds like most of those require me to actually actively hunt stuff. Say "all kill", hide myself, heal my pet, etc.

Is there an easier way? Do shadow iron elementals work? Should I be casting resistable spells on my GD while training to speed things up?

Thanks in advance! I don't get much time to play everyday so any help is greatly appreciated.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shadow elementals don't cast spells, so no, they won't work. DJAd's suggestion will work - however this form of training is known as 'blocking', is against the rules and if reported to a GM has the potential to get your account actioned.

Best I can suggest is angle your play time to kill things that will both get you whatever you want from your play time plus gaining resist on the dragon. I am currently training a dragon turtle, it is gaining resist from hunting ladies of the snow in Tokuno, however this is not an activity that can be done afk

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok I'll give that a shot. Is there anything that can train all GD skills at once though? Still have to max out anatomy, tactics, and wrestling. I was hoping to kill-two birds with one stone kind of thing.

Maybe if I picked up 90 mace fighting with some plus skill rings to equip as I go....and wacked at it with the unguilded trick.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my last visit to Winter Spur my dragon turtle gained: 2.7 wrestle, 5.9 tactics, 2.3 resist, 1.2 anatomy, the area also has giant ice serpents which help with the combat gains.
Beware of the ladies casting revenants, be sure to keep the pet between you and the spawn. I dispel the revenant when the lady dies.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Maxing out resists (and then Dex) is easily doable in 1-2 hours via Spellbinders.
I train my dragons at Sphynx.

Both activities require your presence, but why would you play without playing anyways ^^
You could just repeatedly press your heal button every x seconds, neither Spellbinders, nor Sphynx do that much damage.

Odin of LS

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use 2 accounts 1 bard 1 tamer. Just park the tamer and pet in old haven and round up 8-10 spellbinders and drag them to the pet provo spellbinders onto pet, discord pet, plus use taming mastery for pet gains will be maxed out in less than an hour. The chars need to be in same guild and I party them to use bard peace songs mastery for less damage taken and hpr I dont even need to heal the pet. This is the last skill I train the others skills on shadow iron elementals.

Last edited:

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I use 2 accounts 1 bard 1 tamer. Just park the tamer and pet in old haven and round up 8-10 spellbinders and drag them to the pet provo spellbinders onto pet, discord pet, plus use taming mastery for pet gains will be maxed out in less than an hour. The chars need to be in same guild and I party them to use bard peace songs mastery for less damage taken and hpr I dont even need to heal the pet. This is the last skill I train the others skills on shadow iron elementals, which the disco bard can help gain faster too.
This is perfect, my tamer is a disco provo bard/tamer so I can do this pretty easily. I heard discording your pet for training might be bugged based on recent post but I will try it out and see how it goes.

Maxing out resists (and then Dex) is easily doable in 1-2 hours via Spellbinders.
I train my dragons at Sphynx.

Both activities require your presence, but why would you play without playing anyways ^^
You could just repeatedly press your heal button every x seconds, neither Spellbinders, nor Sphynx do that much damage.
Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the Sphynx. Sounds like spellbinders might be the way to go though. I only get about 1.5 hours of REAL play each day due to work and real life priorities. I have an additional 30min for eating dinner and 1.5 hour for chatting with my SO. Both of these, I do at my computer desk so I can easily be training skills and keeping an eye on things while maintaining most of my attention towards real life priorities.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
my last visit to Winter Spur my dragon turtle gained: 2.7 wrestle, 5.9 tactics, 2.3 resist, 1.2 anatomy, the area also has giant ice serpents which help with the combat gains.
Beware of the ladies casting revenants, be sure to keep the pet between you and the spawn. I dispel the revenant when the lady dies.
Thanks Petra. I do enjoy doing roof runs which is my primary reason for training my GD and tamer. I might try it there even though it isn't fully trained. Im just worried about it dying due to low skills and thus losing more skill. Fortunately, resist probably won't will make a huge difference in terms of tankability. If only I had a Lvl 3 taming mastery...its awfully expensive on Atl - 85mil!

MM/MINT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I always sat outside a graveyard to train magery on my pets plus they get the bonus of resists.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What's the easiest way to train resist on a Greater Dragon? Ideally, I'd like something relaxing so I can do it while watching TV or folding laundry. I read the suggestions on the FAQ but it sounds like most of those require me to actually actively hunt stuff. Say "all kill", hide myself, heal my pet, etc.

Is there an easier way? Do shadow iron elementals work? Should I be casting resistable spells on my GD while training to speed things up?

Thanks in advance! I don't get much time to play everyday so any help is greatly appreciated.
Cast Clumsey, Feeblemind or Weaken, every 0.5s on a macro, use the training mastery. I usually do that while it's hitting the Shadow Ele. If your pet isn't the pet being hit back your pet will eventually attack you, which doesn't matter if you're unguilded, I just see a lot of people try to copy it and die and complain. If you go in there and there's already someone fighting the Ele you can re-log on top of it so your pet stands on the same tile and then the Ele will stay aggrod on your pet and not retarget.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Update: took the GD to spectrals and got max in about an hour. 7 spectrals hitting it at a time won't kill it. Super fast and great suggestion!!

Now to finish up wrestling/tactics/anatomy. Lord GOD, do you typically mine up a shadow ele or go to the dungeon? Since I started from scratch recently, I don't have any chars with mining. I heard I only need 70 skill to do it. Could probably get that pretty quickly. My crafter doesn't have much space left tho.

So far, I've been training those skills at Trogs but its slow because they die too fast.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just go to yomotsu mines and lure the shadow ele to the front. With the new taming mastery I use consume damage and don't even need to heal it.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Same, just pop into the Yomotsu mine, there's usually one at the door. If there isn't it's not hard to bring one, just pre cast Invis/target/move/war mode/attack Ele repeat (the Invis is to leave the rest of the spawn where it is in case that's not obvious)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shadow elementals don't cast spells, so no, they won't work. DJAd's suggestion will work - however this form of training is known as 'blocking', is against the rules and if reported to a GM has the potential to get your account actioned.

Best I can suggest is angle your play time to kill things that will both get you whatever you want from your play time plus gaining resist on the dragon. I am currently training a dragon turtle, it is gaining resist from hunting ladies of the snow in Tokuno, however this is not an activity that can be done afk

to my understand blocking isnt against any enforceable rules. Bonnie changed all rules 18 months ago when she said....."win any way you want to win...just be attended".

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opion resist like magery ist totally overrated on a GD..or course its nice to have but once you have the fighting skills up you can take you gd anywhere...and the other skill will rise eventually..i wouldnt pay too much attention to it

Nizam

Visitor
I used the dual screen method mentioned here, me and my GD on a boat, and my bard on the other screen provoking spellbinders to attack it. Also used the same method for my cu sidhe. I agree with the poster above, and my main GD maxed out his resist and magery skills fighting Eternal Gazers (don't do this alone without be able to sustain consume damage indefinitely). However when you are putting something up for sale you want to round off as many skills as possible to be competitive.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Update: took the GD to spectrals and got max in about an hour. 7 spectrals hitting it at a time won't kill it. Super fast and great suggestion!!

Now to finish up wrestling/tactics/anatomy. Lord GOD, do you typically mine up a shadow ele or go to the dungeon? Since I started from scratch recently, I don't have any chars with mining. I heard I only need 70 skill to do it. Could probably get that pretty quickly. My crafter doesn't have much space left tho.

So far, I've been training those skills at Trogs but its slow because they die too fast.
Swoop works well for fighting skills on a GD, you may have to discord Swoop depending on your GD.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran

I think this is a myth.. If they really wanted to punish for this they would just check every Old Haven GM owned house on all the shards at any given time. They would catch one or two people doing it an hour across a few shards.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I take most of my pets to the sphinx and use whisper on them even at level 1 on my bane using it for 10 min twice I went from 87 to 90.0 resist and 79.4 magery to 82.8! unfortunately you have to wait 1 hour between! Not sure what it is at level 3?!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I concur - spectral spellbinder method works quickest and easiest. Get 8 to 9 of them on you, go jump on a boat, and invis yourself and let them just cast away on your pet. Make sure you have all stop/all stay macroed so that it doesn't kill any of them (one fireball or one hit from the GD will strike them dead). Just need to keep an eye to make sure any Spellbinders don't lose agro and wander off.