• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FAQ Building Thread #2 Post your template

G

Garaba

Here are the rules

#1. Post the template your paladin has, and if you have more one post per template.
#2. List the pros and cons of said template
#3. Please do not comment on templates, yet!
#4. I am removing any posts that are not on topic (so reply to this post so yours are not carried of as well)
#5. These will be used for the new faq and the poster will get credit for their contribution.

FAQ Building Thread #2 Post your template FAQ

#1 Why don’t you use the, ‘>>>Paladin QA, Hints and TEMPLATES <<< Read Prior to Posting Template questions’ thread?

It is old and outdated; we got new skills and a year or two of changes. I read thru it and found it confusing and inaccurate. As of this moment I locked it and un-stickyed it. But don’t worry I will link to it in the new faq.

G

Garaba

The Legendary Paladin

Anatomy 100.0
Chivalry` 120.0
Focus 100.0 (80.0)
Healing 100.0
Magic Resistance 100.0
Weapon Skill 100.0
Tactics 100.0

Cap 225 250
Strength 90 90
Dexterity 100 120
Intelligence 35 40

This template is meant more for group work then solo. And can be used in PvP and PvM but does not excel in either. The high chivalry is useful for removing poison with ‘Cleanse by fire’, ‘Dispel Evil’ and a never fail ‘Noble Sacrifice.’

Equipment should focus mainly on good resists, mana regeneration and hit and defense increase. If possible the weapon skill should be raised by jewelry.

G

Peace-Archer Paladin

Chiv 100.0
Archery 120.0
Tactics 100.0
Anatomy 100.0
Music 100.0
Peace 100.0
Focus 100.0

Cap 225 250
Strength 90 90
Dexterity 100 120
Intelligence 35 40

This template is great for soloing... well, pretty much anything in PvM. With high Dex and high Archery skill (and Divine Fury) you're fast and accurate. Peace keeps you from taking much damage since you can keep your target at a distance and not fighting back (which also frees you up to chose high Luck armor even if resist are low). Having both Tactics and Anatomy (along with EoO, etc) gives you great damage output, but you can always swap Provoke for Anatomy which makes this template excel at PvM. GM Chivalry means most spells are pretty dependable. If you plan to take on high end creatures - just borrow some points from Focus to boost the bard skills (80 or even 60 Focus is plenty with the template). The downside is that you have no Resist, can only heal/cure with Chivalry, no melee skill/parrying leaves you very vulnerable in close combat and this template is USELESS in PvP combat.

Equipment should focus on boosting hit chance, damage, Dex increase and bard skills. And again - this template alows you to sacrifice resists for Luck.

G

Giger

Doom Pally

110 Fence
110 anat
110 tact
110 parry
110 resist
90 healing (90= never fail)
75 chiv
(715 pts)

250 (25 stat used) Stats before suit:
90 str
125 dex
35 int

(after suit)
113 str
164 dex (180 stam)
41 mana

Very heavy hitting PvM char.
I have solo'd just about every monster in UO with this char, excluding a very few high end paragons like balrons.
I can stay alive vs the bally paras, but I just can't deal out enough damage without having to retreat to heal.
DF's are soloable, but take so long, I rarely get to finish one off alone :p

I know it's not a GM Paladin,
but at 75 skill I succeed Eo0 about 1/3 casts, and I always succeed with conc weap/divine/remove curse.
I don't use the other spells.

I use high mana leech slayers and weapons to off-set the lack of a mana regn skill.
I heal myself with bandages in 3 seconds, and I cross-heal in 1.

I have received many artifacts with this character,
and I feel most comfortable exploring or attending events on it.

It is viable in PvP, but it won't handle many of the high end pvp only char-types,
and that to me is the templates major downfall.

B

Bhima LS

Necro Pally (Vampiric Paladin to be specific)

720 Cap

115 Swords
110 Tactics
110 Anatomy
110 Heal
110 Resist Spells
95 Chivalry
70 Necromancy (puts on +30 necro jewelry to cast VE form then removes it)

100/120/35 Str/Dex/Int (not counting gear)

Strengths:
a) Can cast holy light well when a redlined person is running around
b) Can heal/cure both with bandages and chivalry plus life leeches every hit (7 to 10 hp a hit depending on weapon)
c) Takes no damage from level 1-4 poison
d) Hits hard
e) Resistant to spells and has decent natural resists
f) Gets decent stamina and mana regen from VE form
g) Gets enemy of one when fighting one type of monster at a time
h) can travel well
i) Easy to maintain highest level of karma

Weaknesses:
a) Must use 85 or better fire resist armor (not a problem)
b) No parry (but with all the ways he can heal, not generally a problem)
c) Slightly boring to play compared to necro dexers (i just like playing chars that can wade knee deep in battle and kick butt), but he's pretty close to that, so it's not so bad.

C

Colarune

115 Swordsmanship
115 Magic Resist
110 Parry
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
80 Chivalry

(Assumes 720 skill points available!)

90 Strength
35 Intelligence
125 Dexterity

Pro's:
-- Very flexible. Can PvM or PvP.
-- Can heal with bandages or Close Wounds
-- Very rarely hit when loaded up with 45% DCI, or very powerful when loaded up with 45% HCI
-- Not too difficult to find weapons or dexterity-boost equipment that will allow you to hit once per second

Con's:
-- Spell casting ability is limited by 35 mana and no natural regeneration boosting; mana regeneration armor is almost a 'must' with this template. (I do extremely well with +5 mana regen.)
-- Won't do as much damage as templates that load up on tactics, anatomy, or lumberjacking
-- 95 hit points doesn't provide as many hit points as the 100-125 strength templates, and doesn't allow you to carry as much equipment in your backpack.

How I play it:
-- I carry the slayer du jour, plus a scimitar with 43% DI, and 25-35% stamina, mana, and life leech. Almost never die when using the scimitar. My slayers are high-SSI. Keep your dex above 126 (I think!) with a 30% SSI cleaver slayer, and you hit once per second.
-- I carry a half-dozen of each of the following: greater strength, greater agility, total refreshment, greater heal, and greater cure potions.
-- HCI/DCI/DI jewelry. My ring is +11 HCI, +11 DCI, 21% DI.
-- Dexterity-boosting and mana regen armor. My ideal is +8 dex/stam and +2 mana regen -- I sacrifice total resist points for this, but make up for it with the bunny ears helmet, leggings of embers, and heart of the lion.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Treasure Hunter Paladin

Stats
At 225: 100 STR, 75 DEX, 50 INT
At 245 (AoS Bonus + 15 stat scroll): 100 STR, 85 Dex, 60 INT
A higher scroll would raise DEX

Skills at 700 skill points (at my current 710)
Weapon Skill (in my case, Swords): 110
Anatomy: 100
Tactics: 100
Focus: 100
Chivalry: 90 (100)
Cartography: 100
Lockpicking: 100

Modifiers my character personally has from Jewelry: Add +10 Anatomy & Tactics, +5 Swords, +3 DEX & +3 INT

Alternate Skills: If one can build a good mana regen resist suit 5 or more from items), drop Focus for Parry.

In all cases, stat scrolls, skill scrolls and jewelry that boosts 2 or more skills in the template will give you much more flexibility.

Suggested Virtues as boosters: Knight of Sacrifice (you'll gain fame easily enough to sacrifice it, and get even more sacrifice doing the Hag Quest for maps to train Cart & LP), Knight of Compassion (rezzing a crowd of people at once to 80% of HP is a sight to behold at a champ spawn or level 6 map - just make sure one of them has nearby bandages to heal you back up right after they rez), at least Seeker of Honor (to survive the initial monster spawn of the highest level maps by invoking during the dig, then walking clear of the spawn - then separate the monsters, honor them one at a time and kill them, to raise your Honor back!)

Pros: Ability to take groups on Treasure hunts, even solo level 5s (though you have to Sacred journey to a different spot on the island, without crossing the server line, to prevent probable death, unless you use Honor virtue on self while digging). Additional income and loot sources, from chests and maps you collect while hunting monsters (I even run a reagent vendor using t-maps the source). Ability to spam with holy light and to easily rez entire party at once main reason for going with GM Chiv, and the points above 85 are good ones to shift into weapon if you get a 115 or 120 PS for it.

Cons: Lack of Parry (until you can get your mana regen suit together), Resist Spells or Healing (the last two are redundant IMO for a Paladin - that's what Chivalry is there for. Typically if you get paralyzed with a melee paladin, you're not going to be paralyzed very long, remove curse takes care of the cursing spells, and high focus/mana regen will do the same for mana drain/vampire, especially if you use a mana leech weapon. Paladins have three Chivalry spells that do what Healing skill does, at a lower skill cost and without having to carry around bandages).

D

dayhjawk1982

Bacardi Silver of Lake Austin

100 Anatomy
100 Parry (110 with jewel)
100 Magic Resistance
100 Healing
115 swords
100 tactics
85 Chivalry (going to 80 when i get a +20 swords)

Resistance: 70/70/70/63/63

Stats:
110 Str
100 Dex
35 Int

Very nice template.. my suit gives me +4 Mana regen and mana regen is decent. Only real con to this template is lack of mana regen. However, at +4 mana regen i find it to be enough for me. +6 should be quite enough. The way i play this template, is that I do not relay on casting spells, or attacks over and over and over. Enemy of One, if it's in a good place to use (as in no more than 2 creature types in area), and Conscrete weapon. When mana gets up, I hit either divive fury to attack faster or hit one of my sword attacks. With high resistance, you will resist alot of poisons, debuffs, etc. Even if you are hit with a debuff your stats will not suffer that much. I find that when I am hit with a debuff I can simply wait it out. No need to cast any remove curses. I heal myself with healing/bandages. My life drops even 1 pt, I am healing. I am also able to cure poisons so there's no need to waste mana on cleanse of fire. With 100 healing I am also able to rez others without having to endanger myself. Add in knight of compassion and you're a great tank!
80 chivary is enough to cast Enemey of One with a few frizzles. Only reason i went to 85 is for the use of my last 5.0 points. Getting swords to 120 will mean more hits less misses. Parry i find is only good either 100 or 120. Only reason mine is 110, is because my bracelet adds HCI, DCI and Resistance with +10 parry.

A

Asmodeus (Atl)

Doom Paladin Archer:

110 Archery
90-100 Chivalry
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Focus
100-110 Meditation
100 Hiding

80-90 strength
80-90 dexterity
65-75 intelligence

Pros:
- high intelligence and fast mana regen rate allows for many paladin spells, especially Remove Curse when necessary
- hiding allows for a near-perfect safe logout
- speedy recovery from death via Divine Fury, Close Wounds and meditation

Cons:
- no resist creates vulnerability to Paralyze and Mana Vampire; paralyze/teleport can be fatal when dealing with big monsters
- no healing creates reliance on Close Wounds and Cleanse by Fire; no ability to resurrect when being attacked (unless you don't mind dying yourself)
- meditation ability is a must, with all applicable armor restrictions

I feel confident taking this template with a 100% LRC suit into Doom... but down there, I tend not to get hit. It did earn me an Ornament of the Magician, so I'm partial to it.

G

Fencing 110
Focus 100
Tactics 100
Animal Taming 105
Veterinary 107
Animal lore 102
Chivalry 91

with Jewelery on it gives me

Fencing 120
Focus 100
Tactics 100
Animal Taming 115
Veterinary 115
Animal lore 110
Chivalry 91

stats:
str 95
dex 100
int 45

pros: i can heal my pet and got control
cons: you have to be carefull; if you target bad, hell is lose on you!

I enjoy it with my guild on champs, I can kill a lot with no problems.
My luck with this is about 1100, so the loot is nice as well.

T

Thornwind

Hi, my template is for pvm and defensive pvp:-

120 Fencing
115 Resist
105 Chiv
100 Tacts
100 Anat
100 Healing
80 Focus

Stats: 80 str, 125 dex, 50 int (+25 stat and +5 AOS stat reward)
After equipment: 100 str, 148 dex, 50 int.

Pro: Extremely flexible esp. when backed by good equipment. I use a high mana leeching, 25% SSI kryss so the lower focus is not a problem. High resist is always good and 105 chiv gives me decent chance to cleanse poisons as well as 100% success with holy light when needed defensively. This together with 4/6 casting and the mana leech as well as 45 HCI and 41% DCI allows staying power in pvp as well as ability to take down up to Blood Ele paras standing still. Holy light with mana leech is great for champ spawns. In guild battles, noble sacrifice is useful. No need to modify anything in different situations as template is versatile.

Con: Insufficient offense in pvp against top pvp'ers even with 44% hit fireball on weapon. Lack of parry makes fights with warriors/hard hitting critters abit tougher but with ability to heal quickly, cure decently and have a close wounds spell on standby, things are usually under control. You may not deal enough damage to win in top-end pvp, but you should live to fight another day.

J

jack-0

the 'curse doesn't scare me' pvm pally:
110 swords
100 tactics
100 anatomy
100 healing
100 focus
110 parry
90 chivalry
(710 cap)
100 str
100 dex (120 if counting +20 from jackal's collar & bracelet)
45 int
that's with a +20 stats scroll, pre-stat scroll it was 80 base dex.

pros
speedy with the swinging
fast bandage heals, even on self
couple in 45% dci and 45% hci and you're both untouchable vs melee attacks and damn brutal
focus for mana & stamina regen - don't *need* mr/sr armour parts, so it's less hard to build a serviceable suit of armour
even better with agility & strength potions
with a couple of extra points in str from some jewellery, you don't even lose stuff like plate arms when you're cursed/weakened by the nastiest of spell casters.
template is fast and cheap to make (barring the purchase of +20 stats).
hard to hit vs fellow dexxers.
ideal for the imminent invasion of britain.
cons
curse/paralyse/mana vampire do hurt, but you can just knuckle down and take them (they're not that bad, really!), or cast remove curse to get rid of curse. obviously you have to wait to be hit to break paralysis, and with all that parrying and dci it can take a while..or it might wear off anyway. mana leeching weapons make up for being mana vamped.
rubbish for pvp vs any mage

Having said that, I'm busy training resist on another character to soulstone over to my pally, planning on swapping it with parrying, depending on what i'm doing. With resist instead of parrying, the pros are:
pvp-friendly
barely feel the effects of curse/paralysis/leeching/poison etc, so more mana to spare from not having to cast remove curse.
close wounds doesn't cost as much mana as remove curse

with cons:
i'll get hit more often from melee attacks, so therefore quite possibly have to spend mana saved from not casting remove curse on casting close wounds along side using bandages.
resist takes a while to train -zzzzzzz.

G

Giger

Nox Pally

120 swords
110 resist
100 parry
100 poisoning
90 healing
80 anat
70 chiv
50 tactics

Stats:
99 str
125 dex
26 int

Stats after suit:
101 str
153 dex (168 stam)
34 int (51 mana pool)

I really enjoy this template.
It's my favorite pvp dexxer template, and I have 4 pvp+ dexxers.

Pros:
With 300+ skill to swords/pois/parry, I get 3 mana cost Infects after 40% lmc suit. I also get 13 mana AI's.
I use high ssi/mana leech weapons, and I have never ran completely out of mana in a fight.
I have chained 6 AI's from a 30 ssi/36 lifeleech/38 manaleech ubws kryss,
and I have 0 skill dedicated to regen.
Healing gets 3 second bandie times,
and I can always use closewounds as a backup healing method.
If I added orni to this template I could run with 4/6 casting and closewounds in under 1 sec.
Main chivalry spells I use are divine fury, and conc weapon.
I can cast Eo0 as well, and I do use it when pvm'ing.

Cons:

This is a very mana intensive template and relies on special moves for damage,
since there is no emphasis on the damage mods anatomy and tactics.

With that being the case, items/armors play a big role in its effectiveness.

My suit isn't cheap, but it accents the template very well~
Helm of Insight, Ring of Vile, AEgis, and Jackals Collar being the core pieces,
with +8 lmc +mana/stam/mana rgn pieces finishing off the suit.

G

Provo pally
Drisdain of Pacific

current cap is 705 (skill total with jewels 753)

110 swords or any wep skill
110 anatomy
110 tactics
100 provo (115 with ring)
100 music (108 with ring)
90 healing (100 with bracelet)
85 chivalry (100 with bracelet)

stats
str 100 (106 with mods)
dex 45
int 100

pros: can provo almost anything (even para's onto para's) which is nice to help reduce hits takin. Hits very hard. enough manan to string som CW"s AI's tgother with a good slayer i can nock off a suc in about 4 hits. Have the healing power to stay alive.

Cons: No med but a little MR equip or a good 40+mana leach wep is just as good.
top level spawns will stilll attack you when you get up close. Don't know how it would fair in PvP.

M

Mondrious

110 Anatomy
110 Swording
110 Tactics
100 Parrying
100 chivalry
80 Focus
90 Healing

Strength 125
dex 60
int 40

I use this character mostly for pvm and for RP purposes. this template works great for me. I can kill most of the monster in the game solo. Even though i might have to run off and heal on some of the harder ones.

Im going to up my swording to 120 as soon as i can to.

The pros are that i hit pretty hard, and kill my enemys pretty. (depending on what weapon i use ofcourse)
The cons are that i dont got any spell resistance at all, making it hard to fight some battles sometimes.

L

lisa_atl

<blockquote><hr>

#1. Post the template your paladin has, and if you have more one post per template.
#2. List the pros and cons of said template

[/ QUOTE ]
110 Anatomy
115 Archery
70 Chivalry
70 Focus
100 (110) Healing
115 Swordsmanship
110 (120) Tactics

Stats: 105 / 100 / 47 (adjusted), 105 / 100 / 35 (base).

2. Hard to tank big stuff without parry, no resist makes mana drain and curse a real drag. But the ability to deal damage from afar and up close is handy.

When she gets ahold of a 120 tactics scroll she'll drop healing to 100. She will also drop Archery to 110 when she gets a 120 swords scroll. With a +25 stat scroll extra points will be split between strength, dex, and int at a ratio of 2:3:1.

C

clowncheeks

I'm just coming back to UO and don't really know the picky details, but this seems prettygood to me... please say something if it isn't good. (I know I'm lacking resist)

115 Tact
110 Parry
110 Macing
110 Anatomy
100 Heal
100 Chivalry
75 Focus

V

Vaul

Mace Fighting: 110
Tactics 100
Magic Resist: 100
Parry: 100
Healing 85
Chivalry: 70
Focus: 50

Strength 105
Dex 90
Int 35

Only real weakness is a lack of ranged combat, but jousting helps with that.

Q

queenbeck

ok...here's my template. my skill cap is 705:

anatomy 110 (locked)
chiv. 72.2 (cap 100)
focus 107.5 (cap 115)
healing 73.5 (cap 100)
parry 92.0 (cap 100)
resist 36.9 (cap 100)
swords 106.9 (cap 110)
tactics 106.0 (cap 110)

strenth 100
dex 100
int 25

70/70/70/70/70

here's my issue: i've reached my 705 cap....which skills should i drop/lower/soulstone/etc?

what *should* my template look like.......?

-thanatos of GL

L

Lady Phoenix

Holy Light Spamming Poison Paladin

Fencing 115
Parry 115
Chivalry 110
Anatomy 100 (possibly Detect Hidden, if you wish to kill Ninja)
Med 100
Resist 100
Poisoning 80

Str 60
Dex 80
Int 105

Essential equipment: 4/6 casting, good war fork and kryss (preferably with Hit Lower Defense and Hit Lightning/Fireball/Harm), maximum LMC, as much HCI, DCI and Mana Regen as possible

Basic Approach: You enter combat with your war fork in hand, toggled to Bleed. When you enter combat, inflict the bleed, then switch to the kryss (using the handy EquipLastWeapon macro). Inflict Lethal Poison (at 80 one never fails to apply the poison to the blade, and has an 80% chance to inflict Lethal Poison). Continue to apply Lethal Poison at all times, and hit with Armor Ignore on every move that is not Lethal Poison (you will be using one of these moves on EVERY swing -- at 40 LMC it takes 3/6 mana for Infectious Strike and 12/24 for Armor Ignore). As you're hitting with your kryss, explode on your opponent with 5 Holy Lights over 5 seconds (approximately 50 damage against 70 Energy Resist, assuming maximum Karma). By the time the target is aware of what's happening, he is running away, redlined, bleeding, and Lethal Poisoned. You are following behind him, having toggled Armor Ignore, and continuing to spam Holy Light.

Pros: Big surprise factor. Holy Light can be cast on the run, so it is difficult to evade. The Damage Over Time runs along with the target, as he seeks to get out of range of your HL. It blocks bandages twice, and prevents casting with constant interrupts from DOT and Holy Light barrage. Kills very quickly, and with a high degree of reliability. With high DCI and Parry, it is difficult for dexxers to hit you much. Shield Parry blocks arrows, unlike Bushido Parry. With 4/6 casting you cast Close Wounds in .75 sec and Cleanse by Fire in .5, so you will be very difficult to kill. If you're Disarmed, you still have some defense against weapon hits because of anatomy ([anat + eval]/2 + 10) plus parry, until you can get your weapon back up (and you can still spam HL in the meantime, so you are not completely defenseless ala Samurai). All the HL makes this char effective against the gank, as you will be interrupting all the mages in your radius of effect. Owns mages due to damage barrage, owns necros due to Remove Curse, owns warriors due to parry, owns samurai due to disarm. Can handle Lethal Poisoners, with high Chivalry and .5 sec Cleanse by Fire.

Cons: Weapon damage is not high, without Tactics and with low Str. The template relies on moves and HL for damage. Fairly low dex, so swings will be slower (good SSI on your kryss and war fork really help here), though you can still achieve 1.5 seconds per swing with Divine Fury (which adds 10 SSI). Helpless against Ninja, as HL does not affect invisible targets (unlike Wither of Necros, other the AOE spells of mages). No ranged attack for finishing runners (though HL can be useful, it can be evaded). No way to handle Mortal Strike. Not the best teammate in the sense that it is difficult to heal with short ranged heal/cure spells, but in the right role can be a great point guy and overall battlefield disrupter with HL spam. Low HP (80 base) so having +HP and +Str, purple petals, and Greater Strength potions is highly adviseable (I myself fight with 105 hp, despite the 60 str)

Overall: This is an extremely powerful template in practice. It requires top-notch equipment, but if you have the proper suit this template is devastating. Overwhelming attack, extremely solid defense, easy to "drive" so you'll make few mistakes.

M

MilesBlackmoon6

Mainly for Pvp but I Have been out for a year or more. I do use him for some PvM but not much.

Fence ** 120 Legendary
Tacts ** 100 Gm
Anat ** 100 Gm
Heal ** 100 Gm
Med ** 100 Gm
Resist ** 100 Gm
Focus ** 40

Stats are base 100/100/50 with suit I am like 104/105/80.
I did have gm focus and built my suit around it so now I will have to start the long process of putting another suit together...joy

Miles of Catskills
Chiv ** 60

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Current Archer Paladin on Great Lakes:

110 Swordsmanship [120 w/ Jewelery]
110 Archery [120 w/ Jewelery]
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Chivalry
100 Magic Resist

90 STR
120 DEX
45 INT
[Before equipment]

Primarily use archery with Enemy of One and other buffs for PvM. Swords provides a good backup plan when low on ammo, although I may Soul Stone it pending an evaluation of quivers in Mondain's Legacy. Quick healing with minimum 120 Dex is even faster with equipment. Chivalry is a great additional way to cure and heal, but better served on offensive abilities. Armor has LRC, LMC, and as much Mana Regeneration as possible. I fudge armor resist as much as possible, preferring regenens and bonuses, since all my resistances are minimum 40 anyways. Mana regeneration can be improved with Meditation/Focus instead of Swords. Mana Leeching weapons are also a friend

L

LordWillieNelson

here is the doom/pvp/pvm template i use...

archery 110
bushido 110
maces 110
tactics 110
anatomy 100
chivalry 90
healing 90

str-110 dex-80 int-50 (all before armor and jewel bonus')
yes i know that i have no parry or resist, but i have all 70's suit with mr +3 and i use my x-bow for heavy hitters anyway so lack of parry isnt hard to live with. i do about 140 a hit to darkfathers so i always get looting rights. when we have good cross healing i can stand on the gate with the best of them and pound away with an "exiler" and do good and fast damage that way.

pros:
good damage vs about anything
nice pet to help damage or to tank(heal with close wounds)
cure poison with clense by fire
heal/rez with bandages
enough mana to cast EoO and cons weapon

cons:
relies on leech weapons for mana
fail on holy light and noble sacrifice too often
no parry or resist (if that matters to you)
getting bored on champs spawns and dungeon crawls because you kill everything to fast
paying 26 gp per arrow because you too lazy to leave gauntlet to get more from your house

Z

zsm0

Pure Pally

Anatomy 120
Chivalry 120
Focus 105
Swords 120
Tactics 120
Parry 120

str 80
Dex 125
Int 45

Grid

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bushido Pally (or as I like to call it, the Holy Terror).

100 Anatomy
110 Bushido
95 Chiv
90 Heal
110 Parry
105 Resist
110 Swords
(720 Points)

100 Str (102 with jewelry)
110 Dex (118 with jewelry)
35 Int
(245 points)

Pros:
- Great at handling multiple foes
- EoO + CCW + Honor + LS
- Evasion with the above makes taking out casters much easier than with chiv alone

Cons:
- No tactics
- Relies heavily on mana regen armor and mana leech weapons

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Treasure Hunter Paladin - A revision of my post from a jear ago

Stats
At 225: 100 STR, 75 DEX, 50 INT (dex and int become 80 and 58 with suggested equipment)
At 245 (AoS Bonus + 15 stat scroll): 100 STR, 85 DEX, 60 INT
A higher scroll would raise DEX; Some of my suggested equipment are +INT &amp; +DEX

Skills at 700 skill points (at my current 715, with equipment raising it to 795)
Weapon Skill (in my case, Swords): 120
Tactics: 100 (115) +12 scrolled, wearing suggested equipment
Parry: 90 + Equipment (100)
Chivalry: 90 (106)
(Meditation: 54 - skill points moved here as equipment allows - not mandatory. Humans get the effects of 20 Focus and 20 Med, even at 0 points in skill.)

Must-have equipment: Soul Seeker, or other high-mana leech weapon
Equipment suggested: Ancient Samurai Do (Tminor), Arms of Tactical Excellence (Tminor), Stormgrip (Tmajor), Totem of the Void (MLminor), Brightsight Lenses (MLminor), weapon (As noted above), gorget, legs and shield to round out the resists to 70s. Suit is medable. Resist or luck robes are suggested as well. Cape/quiver as needed.
My resists are 70/70/70/70/69, with a vet cloak (and casting of Magic reflect and Reactive armor - gives a total of 0/5/5/5/5 with GM inscription, which you can soulstone onto the character long enough to cast, and both spells can be cast from scroll by a 0 magery human)

Modifiers my character personally has from Jewelry: Add +19 each Tactics &amp; Swords, and +20 Chivalry, and other minor mods (finding 2 pieces with +29 total each in the same three skills for your template is awesome, regardless of template).
Modifiers From Minor (tokuno &amp; ML) and Tokuno Major Equipment: +5 DEX, +8 INT, +10 Parry, +12 Tactics, 10% LMC, Mana regen 3, HP Regen 2, DI 25%. Should be possible to get further regens and attribute bonuses from the other equpment (especially if one uses a Dupre's Shield or bloodwood-enhanced wooden shield)

Alternate Skills: If one goes for archery with this template, substitute magic resist for parry, and Rune beetle carapace or MR2 medable tunic for the Do. Another option for both archery &amp; melee templates would be to replace anatomy (since the template does not have healing) with bushido.

In all cases, stat scrolls, skill scrolls and jewelry that boosts 2 or more skills in the template will give you much more flexibility.

Suggested Virtues as boosters: Knight of Sacrifice (you'll gain fame easily enough to sacrifice it, and get even more sacrifice doing the Hag Quest for maps to train Cart &amp; LP), Knight of Compassion (rezzing a crowd of people at once to 80% of HP is a sight to behold at a champ spawn or level 6 map - just make sure one of them has nearby bandages to heal you back up right after they rez), at least Seeker of Honor (to survive the initial monster spawn of the highest level maps by invoking during the dig, then walking clear of the spawn - then separate the monsters, honor them one at a time and kill them, to raise your Honor back!)

Additional suggested "consumables" would be potions (especially GH if you are going somewhere where you may have to Noble Sacrifice; but also GA &amp; GS), petals (orange and Trinsic rose - the orange petals further reduce the need for magic resist skill), and spell scrolls for a human - a human can cast level 5 spell scrolls (25% chance of success), so a human with 0 magery can use blade spirit scrolls to give them a lower-power alternative to the two EVs or Earth eles that mage T-Hunters use. Mind Blast scrolls also are options, as they are the only damage spells that check vs. Int instead of Eval (though you're probably better off just using holy light, in melee)

Pros: Ability to take groups on Treasure hunts, even solo level 5s (though you have to Honor, or use Sacred journey to a different spot on the island, without crossing the server line, to prevent probable death, unless you use Honor virtue on self while digging). Additional income and loot sources, from chests and maps you collect while hunting monsters (I sometimes run a reagent vendor using t-maps as the source, but currently am buring up my regs training my alchemist). Ability to spam with holy light and to easily rez entire party at once main reason for going with GM Chiv, but the points above 85 can be shifted into weapon if you get a 115 or 120 PS for it.

Cons: Lack of Magic Resist &amp; Healing skills. To an extent, the last two are a little redundant IMO for a Paladin.
Typically if you get paralyzed with a melee paladin, you're not going to be paralyzed very long, and remove curse takes care of the cursing spells (including mortal strike from the Miasma, when you go hunting for more level 6 maps in the Labyrinth); you typically won't be using any equipment so heavy it could "fall off" from a curse, either. High mana regen &amp; leech will replace mana lost to mana vampire, and a soul seeker will give you back obscene amounts of stamina.
Paladins have three Chivalry spells that do what Healing skill does, at a lower skill cost and without having to carry around bandages. However, the risk of getting interrupted is greater, and one needs to be ready to get healed by someone else (or immediately use a greater healing potion), if using noble sacrifice in a combat zone.

G

I just bought 8th age for the 6th character slot and advanced character token, and I'd like your advice on the best template to solo/small group PvM Peerless and High Level Paragon monsters. I don't like to rely on jewelry/armor with my template, so please don't suggest something that requires special armor or jewelry beyond high resist armor.

Also, I already have a tamer, bard, mage, and chiv/archer, so I'd like to try something else.

After reading through the FAQ's, I'm currently leaning towards the following two:

#1 Bushido/Parry/Swords/Tactics/Anatomy/Chivalry/Healing (GM all except 120 swords)

#2 (same as above), replace Chiv/Healing with Necro/SS

Another thought I'm considering is replacing parry with focus/med because I'm concerned about running out of mana. I've never played a parry/warrior before, so I'd like your advice on whether or not this would be a mistake.

If you have other ideas other than #1, #2, or templates similar to the ones I have already listed, please post!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Z

zsm0

Legendary Pally

120 anatomy (120)
120 chivalry (91.3)??? how do you gain?
105 focus (105)
120 parry (104.4)??? how do you gain?
120 swords (120)
120 tactics (120)

100 str / 95 dex / 55 int

Great pvm template havent tried pvp yet.

Suit also has 36 hci and 38 dci all 70's

Thx

B

Bohemund

PvM Paladin:

STR 100
DEX 125
INT 34
(+34 STAT points due to PS and jewelry)

100 Anatomy
120 Chivalry
90 Healing
115 Mace Fighting
100 Magic Resistance
90 Parrying
100 Tactics
(+15 Skill points due to 3 year veteran)

Pros: This is a great all-round PvM paladin template that works well with a leeching weapon. With a 70s resist suit, high magic resistance and decent parrying, I can take on most monsters solo. With healing and high chivalry, healing and poison curing is no problem in most circumstances.

Cons: Without Consecrate Weapon and Enemy of One spell, damage is low due to low anatomy and tactics. With no focus or meditation, mana and stamina regeneration is abominable. Must use a mana and, if possible, a stamina leeching weapon (which I do
). Has trouble with high-level paragon monsters and bosses without needing to run away to regroup.

G

Here is my template:

Parrying 120
Swordsmanship 120
Anatomy 102 (+8 from Brace -&gt; 110)
Chivalry 102
Tactics 98 (+12 from armor -&gt; 110)
Healing 90 (+10 from Ring-&gt; 100)
Resisting Spells 88 (+22 from Brace + Aegis of Grace, -&gt;110)
720 base total, 772 with gear.

Strength: 109 (+1 from primer of arms -&gt; 110)
Dexterity: 95 ( +5 from arms of tactics -&gt; 100)
Intelligence: 46
250 total

Weapon: Soulseeker
Shield: Order Shield (+15 HCI +15 DCI)

Overall HCI+35, DCI+45, DI+50 (ring, brace, shield and primer), high resist armor, all above 60

Pros:
Hits lightning fast and makes huge damage. With whirlwind can solo a big group of monsters, the more the merrier
, leech keeps all stats in full all the time. for example few paragon-titans and paragon-cyclops at same time. High magic resist makes spells ignorable, usually dont bother to remove curses or even lesser poisons before end of battle as the leech keeps hp full. Just get as many foes as possible, Consecrate weapon and Whirlwind. High parry and DCI enable also soloing tough monsters. Makes money really fast in cyclops pyramid for example.

Cons:
Without soulseeker or other mana leech weapon runs out of mana pretty fast.

Considering switching necro via soulstone to this char and changing to vampire to get even more leech and mana &amp; stamina regen.
Considering also dropping healing for something more fun.

F

fastfairladyz

Get rid of healing and use Spirit Speak, much faster and better!

M

Mr. Gnome

My Template:

120 Swordsmanship
120 Resist Spells (110 plus Aegis of Graces gives +10)
100 Chivalry
100 Anatomy
100 Parrying
90 Focus
80 Tactics

133 Strength, 113 Dex, 50 Inteligence
Ring: 7 Str, 7 Dex, 30% DIC
Bracelet: 23% DCI + others

Resists:
Still working on them.

Will get more info when server comes back on

M

mjolnir131

why is everbody using focus and not med your pallidies you get your stam back everytime you cast divine fury so focius is doing little for you why not have med and double your mana return?

D

dorkuberalles

mana leeching weapons for the most part can replenish mana faster than passive mana regeneration. the few exceptions is against foes with very high resists.

the same can be said with stamina leech weapons.

focus is very benefitial for character without access to high end mage armor pieces. also, the helm of insight is non-med, and a very nice piece of equipment for a paladin.

M

mjolnir131

what high end magic armor you can put together a 60-70 suit with decent luck, stam regain and 12 or more mr for peanuts

C

C0rmac

Monster Hunter Pally

120 Swordsmanship
120 Parry
90 Tactics
90 Healing
100 Resist Spells
80 Chiv
90 Ant

115 Str
110 Dex
25 Int

Attack strategy: Pre-cast enemy of one and cut monsters up. Also heavy use of heal macro. Use Divine fury in longer battles to re-charge. If fighting many different monsters don't EOO. Also when mana allows use special weapon moves.

Equipment used: Soul seeker my favorite and go to sword. Also keep some other slayers on hand. Right now I am wearing virtue set(no mana regen).

Pros: Do a lot of damage without any spells or mods. Also able to take a heavy beating. Capable of working alone but better as part of team.

Cons: PvP weak...also not a template to solo a peerless with. Low intel can also make it difficult to use chiv to all it can be.

G

PvM Disco Palidan

100 Chivalry
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Fencing
100 Musicianship
100 Provocation
100 Discord

0 Tactics keeps me from using my weapon specials, but with EoO and slayers I can keep the damage output high. Two sources of healing, Disco, and alot of running keeps me in color. While provocation keeps the adds busy or pecks away at the main target.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Treasure Hunter Paladin - A revision of my older posts

Stats
If I was restarting the character at 225: 100 STR, 75 DEX, 50 INT (plus skill bonuses from equipment - reduce strength to 100 after equipment, and move the points into Dex, for 100 STR, so 92(100) STR, 75(83) dex, 50(58) int)
At 255 with my equipment: 104 (96+8) STR, 100 DEX, 67(59+8) INT

Skills at my current 720, with equipment raising it to 793 (was at 805 till my special moves got crippled by the tactics requirement)
Weapon Skill (in my case, Swords): 101 natural, 120 with equipment
Tactics: 90 natural, 109 with my equipment (stupid special move changes made me have to move points out of other skills, and remove the arms)
Healing: 90
Parry: 74 natural (89 with equipment - this is where the points came from to get tactics up to 90 natural, mostly)
Chivalry: 65 natural, 85 with equipment (and I miss the 5 points that had to move to tactics)
(Humans get the effects of 20 Focus and 20 Med, even at 0 points in skill, so no med or focus.)

Must-have equipment: Soul Seeker, or other high-mana leech weapon
Equipment suggested: Ancient Samurai Do (Tokuno minor), Stormgrip (Tokuno major), Totem of the Void (ML minor), Brightsight Lenses (ML minor), weapon (As noted above), Voice of the Fallen King (decent resists plus lots of regens - a cursed one will be fine if you only do Trammel maps), Arms of Tactical Excellence (Tokuno minor) if you got room for it while still maintaining 90 tactics for special moves(I no longer have), and legs &amp; shield (dupre's is good for the +5 parry, so I use it after having to raid my other skills to raise Tactics) to round out the resists to 70s. Suit is medable. Resist or luck robes are suggested as well. Cape/quiver as needed.

My current resists are 70/68/70/70/70, with casting of Magic reflect and Reactive armor (gives a total of 0/5/5/5/5 with GM inscription, which you can soulstone onto the character long enough to cast, and both spells can be cast from scroll by a 0 magery human)

Modifiers my character personally has from Jewelry: Add +19 each Tactics &amp; Swords, and +20 Chivalry, and other minor mods (finding 2 pieces with +29 total each in the same three skills for your template is awesome, regardless of template).
Modifiers From Minor (tokuno &amp; ML) and Tokuno Major Equipment: +8 STR, +8 INT, +10 Parry (15 with dupre's shield), 10% LMC, Mana regen 3, HP Regen 7 (8 with dupre's), Stam Regen 3, DI 25%. Should be possible to get further regens and attribute bonuses from the other equpment (especially if one uses a Dupre's Shield or bloodwood-enhanced wooden shield). If you can fit the arms of tactical excellence into the suit, that would give +12 tactics and +5 dex.

Suggest skill layout for a fresh build (without my ungodly jewelry):
Lockpicking 100
Cartography 100
Weapon Skill: 100
Tactics: 102 (90 + Tokuno minor Arms)
Healing: 90 (minimum for 100% HP healing chance)
Parry (melee types only): 100 (85 plus Tokuno minor Do &amp; dupre's shield)
Chivalry: If an archer, 80 to 90 chiv after equipment (dropping parry to 0), putting remaining points into magic resist. For a melee warrior like myself, go for 80+ points in chivalry after equipment (35 to 55 real, based on skill cap, plus Chivalry from jewelry or additional real skill points from lowering parry, healing or anatomy real totals as a result of jewelry bonuses that offset).

Suggested Virtues as boosters: Knight of Sacrifice (you'll gain fame easily enough to sacrifice it, and get even more sacrifice doing the Hag Quest for maps to train Cart &amp; LP), Knight of Compassion (rezzing a crowd of people at once to 80% of HP is a sight to behold at a champ spawn or level 6 map - just make sure one of them has nearby bandages to heal you back up right after they rez), at least Seeker of Honor (to survive the initial monster spawn of the highest level maps by invoking during the dig, then walking clear of the spawn - then separate the monsters, honor them one at a time and kill them, to raise your Honor back!)

Additional suggested "consumables" would be potions (invis if you can get the timing down right for digs), petals (orange and Trinsic rose - the orange petals further reduce the need for magic resist skill), and spell scrolls for a human - a human can cast level 5 spell scrolls (27% chance of success), so a human with 0 magery can use blade spirit scrolls to give them a lower-power alternative to the two EVs or Earth eles that mage T-Hunters use. Mind Blast scrolls also are options, as they are the only damage spells that check vs. Int instead of Eval (though you're probably better off just using holy light, in melee)

Pros: Ability to take groups on Treasure hunts, even solo level 5s - solo level 6s were possible before the Wyrms got buffed. Instead of invis, one uses Honor, or use Sacred Journey to a different spot on the island, without crossing the server line, to prevent probable death. Additional income and loot sources, from chests and maps you collect while hunting monsters (the hag quests, plus doing about 10-20 level 1-2 maps over a 1-2 hour period a good source for regs to donate to brit library). Ability to spam with holy light and to easily rez entire party at once main reason for going with 85 chivalry, but I wish I could have it higher once more.

Cons: Lack of Magic Resist, in its melee form. To an extent, this is a little redundant IMO for a Paladin.
Typically if you get paralyzed with a melee paladin, you're not going to be paralyzed very long, and remove curse takes care of the cursing spells (including mortal strike from the Miasma, when you go hunting for more level 6 maps in the Labyrinth); you typically won't be using any equipment so heavy it could "fall off" from a curse, either. High mana regen &amp; leech will replace mana lost to mana vampire, and a soul seeker will give you back obscene amounts of stamina. Only against very high end creatures will lack of resist be an issue (the ones that hit for almost enough to 1-hit kill in addition to their spell effects), but that's to be expected in a hybrid template.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is one of my other heavily played characters

Base template: (700 skill) before adding Chivalry.
Blacksmith: 120
Mining: 99* (wear +1 to +5 gloves to mine gems, sand and stone)
Weapon skill*: 100 (120 at 720 cap)
Parry: 100*
Tactics: 100
Healing: 81* (to get ability to rez others)

* (make 100 Healing, 80 Chivalry, and 100 Mining, if done as an archer - most going this route tend to be melee types, for RP purposes, as that way they MAKE their own weapons, not having to depend on someone else)

Stats (at 225): STR 110, Dex 90 INT 25. Add the +5 bonus to INT, then split any Stat scroll &amp; equipment bonus gains between Dex &amp; Int until Dex hits 100. After that, split between Str &amp; Int. Try to eventually get to 50 mana, minimum.

Now, to turn this into a chivalry/paladin template for a melee fighter.
1. Add the Ancient Samurai Do; drop parry by 10 real points, and put 10 into chivalry
2. Add Dupre's Shield; drop parry by 5 points, and put 5 into chivalry.
3. Add Arms of Tactical Excellence: drop Tactics to 90 real skill, and add 10 points to Chivalry
4. Find jewelry with both Chivalry &amp; Anatomy (or Chiv+Healing, or Healing+Anatomy) bonuses (fairly common). Lower the other skills' real skill total by the amount of bonus, to keep it at modified 100 Anatomy (or 81 Healing), put all but one of those points into Chivalry, the last point into raising mining to 100 natural skill.
4.a. As long as you keep at least 90 real points in the weapon skill, some of the weapon skill points can be moved over to chivalry as well.

At this point, you'll have about 50-70 Chivalry (after modifiers - could conceivably get into the 80s or higher).

Now, you're ready to go.

Mandatory equipment for melee version of template:
Ancient Samurai Do
Arms of tactical Excellence (and a 105 or higher Tactics Powerscroll to get the full bonus applied to the skill)
Dupre's shield
Ring &amp; Bracelet with a total of 20 or more points each in Chivalry and/or other template skills (weapon, parry, anatomy, healing)
A really nice Elemental Slayer (Earth elemental slayer will suffice for the gargoyle-pick-summoned elementals), and a good mana/life leeching non-slayer (for use on copper and valorite elementals - you don't want a slayer against them, because they have a permanent blood-oath-like effect where half the damage you do to them is reflected back on you - a slayer can mean suicide in one swing or two consecutive swings, if you're not at max HP)

Suggested additions:
Reading Glasses of the Trades for the resists and stat bonuses (one can get these from turning in the ingots you mine, and the leathers from monsters you slay, so quite appropriate). A template-matching Mark of the Travesty would be nice, but too much to ever realistically hope for.
Runic-made armor pieces (exceptional Samurai Empire metal pieces are mage armor by default, before additional bonuses, so one can craft a metal suit of these for RP purposes - otherwise, mix and match artifacts, minors and tailor pieces)
Stormgrip is good for the intelligence bonus and resists (and luck never hurts).
Totem of the Void hives HP regen and LMC for your chivalry &amp; special moves.

Pros:
Decent PVM ability, can mine with gargoyle Pickaxes without fear of dying, and can put a world of hurt on any miner-hunting PK that doesn't suspect your combat skill (plus imagine letting your whole shard know that red character so-and-so was killed by a legendary smith! - you don't have to mention that you're also legendary in your weapon skill). Having a well-trained fire beetle as a pet increases your hitting power. Macing is a good choice of weapon skill (cheap scrolls, and you can make silver etched maces and other diamond mace types with exceleent bonuses with this template). A good weapon in Fel will be a regular mace with leeches (and Earth ele slayer if using garg picks), because of the Disarm special move of the Mace.

Cons: lack of Magic resist, so you'll still have some vulnerability to magery/necro based PKs if you mine in Fel. But then, you'll probably lull them into a false sense of security anyway "It's ONLY a miner/smith...." heh, heh, heh.......