• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction Templates

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let's talk about the preferred (or best) faction temps that people are running. What do you think is the best and why? Is your faction temp mainly solo or for groups?

I currently run a dismounting bushi archer myself. Not sure if it's the optimum temp but it utilizes a lot of the new cool faction items.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mage are the most important for raiding and defending. Archers are lame, dexers are useless, tamers are lame, thieves are pretty much useless atm because you can't really control the towns, guarding for 6 hours gets you pretty much nothing. So Mage something.... Necro, Parry, Scribe, what ever..

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mage are the most important for raiding and defending. Archers are lame, dexers are useless, tamers are lame, thieves are pretty much useless atm because you can't really control the towns, guarding for 6 hours gets you pretty much nothing. So Mage something.... Necro, Parry, Scribe, what ever..
Your brutal honesty always makes me smile, Cardell.

:hahaha:

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, you can't go wrong with a mage for factions. SL and MX are one big choke point (MX being less so then SL by a mile or two). Either way, the team with the most mages tends to win. TB tends to come down to holding the little choke before the sig room, and CoM has no choice but to rely on mass magery for the bridge.

"Thieves" are a dime a dozen now, but without a mage on your side they'll screw you well.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Atlantic, there isn't a lotta sigil stuff that goes on. It's usually a buncha field fighting so not sure that a mage would be best for that. The field is filled with dismounters, tamers, pets etc.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Atlantic, there isn't a lotta sigil stuff that goes on. It's usually a buncha field fighting so not sure that a mage would be best for that. The field is filled with dismounters, tamers, pets etc.
A mage is good in all kinds of pvp. Granted dismounters and tamers are lame as hell, but they are worse for dexers and archers who cannot invis or teleport.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the contrary. I have a chest full of stolen scrolls that proves BoA's dexers and archers can teleport just fine. ;)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why in the world do you play those type of characters (a tamer or thief), you complain so loudly about?? LOL.

K

Khaldir

ofc dexxer can teleport and invis.
teleport scrolls and invis cahrges on sashes and earings etc

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why in the world do you play those type of characters (a tamer or thief), you complain so loudly about?? LOL.
I complain about tamers pets. I don't use a greater drag, a dread war horse, a cu sidhe, and rarely used my beetle. In fact I only used it when I was outnumbered by 3 or 4 ppl usually. I also am not a gimp as stealth tamer, or an archer tamer. Those templates I think are so over powered and I would never use either of them simply because I have more respect for myself.

I use a thief because I was a GM of a guild who has to take innicative to do things. Ya know, faction things, steal sigs, run sigs, make traps, remove traps..... And just because I have a character doesn't mean I don't think its over powered. I will gladly admit that my tamer is over powered even though I only use a nightmare, and I will gladly admit that my thief is over powered because ninjitsu is so gimp on so many levels. ( smoke bombs and animal form).

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the contrary. I have a chest full of stolen scrolls that proves BoA's dexers and archers can teleport just fine. ;)
Ya they CAN teleport but when you are dismounted , have a dragon on you, and you have a dexer or archer running shot spamming you I don't think you are going to last very long trying to cast a scroll that drops your weapon and freezes. Dexers usually have them to chase people on top of buildings and walls. But if you want to relly on scrolls to save your dexer then you go right ahead.

Invis jewelry is an option but that **** is hard to find sometimes and is only going to get harder.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like theyre going to nerf conc blow now, ****ing devs. There goes any dexer template.

Maybe I'll try a bushido tank mage.

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah conc blow was really the only special worth a damn

Archery is what really needs to be addressed, but archers use conc alot

so ill take what i can get :thumbsup:

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like theyre going to nerf conc blow now, ****ing devs. There goes any dexer template.

Maybe I'll try a bushido tank mage.
I wouldn't go that far. This has been long long over due. Im sick of the 60 - 70 dmg conc from Crossbows with a velocity proc when I have full stam and mana.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't go that far. This has been long long over due. Im sick of the 60 - 70 dmg conc from Crossbows with a velocity proc when I have full stam and mana.
I've never been hit for 60-70 from a conc bow, thats with hit spell. Perhaps you have a suit flaw? I think a conc blow from my red usually does 40-50 at most with concecrate weapon. But thats not a problem with the skill, thats a suit flaw.

In comparison a mage can drop a few flame strikes as worth at least 40 dmg each at 70 fire resist in a few seconds and that is 100% effective unless the target runs out of screen. Hardly argumentative in regards.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never been hit for 60-70 from a conc bow, thats with hit spell. Perhaps you have a suit flaw? I think a conc blow from my red usually does 40-50 at most with concecrate weapon. But thats not a problem with the skill, thats a suit flaw.

In comparison a mage can drop a few flame strikes as worth at least 40 dmg each at 70 fire resist in a few seconds and that is 100% effective unless the target runs out of screen. Hardly argumentative in regards.
lol your joking right? 70 dmg is with hit spell, velocity proc and conc... It can happen, talk to passion... or just stand there you'll get it.

My suit isn't flawed. 64/81/67/84/69 100 lrc 40 lmc 14 mr 10 in 10 dex 8 str 17 HP inc 59 defense 2/6 casting 9 hp regen.

And yeah here we go with the flame strike bit. I can just drop a few 40 dmg flame strikes like its nothing, just pow pow pow pow. In the time it takes me to cast FS any archer gets 2 shots on me with a Xbow. If they have a short bow they probably get 3. Oh yeah if that weapon has hit spell I cannot recast right away because the spells lag. So by the time I get a second cast off they get another shot off on me. With the HLD and HCI so easy to get almost everyone has them capped off and I still get hit way more than I defend. So lets put the FS bit away.. If you let a mage get off 'a few' flame strikes and don't hit him then you are just doing something wrong.

And here we go again saying FS does 40 dmg with 70 fire. That is 100%, grade A bull****. FS does like 28 -30 dmg if you have 70% fire. If you are cursed it does like 38 unless the person has scribe in which case it can do a bit more. If the person is cursed and corpsed then the FS can do 42 or so. You are complaining about the people droping FS omen combo which gives it the extra dmg. Don't even go there... with all the sick gear that is so easy to make for dexers and archers its hardly argumentative.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And yeah here we go with the flame strike bit. I can just drop a few 40 dmg flame strikes like its nothing, just pow pow pow pow. In the time it takes me to cast FS any archer gets 2 shots on me with a Xbow. If they have a short bow they probably get 3. Oh yeah if that weapon has hit spell I cannot recast right away because the spells lag. So by the time I get a second cast off they get another shot off on me. With the HLD and HCI so easy to get almost everyone has them capped off and I still get hit way more than I defend. So lets put the FS bit away.. If you let a mage get off 'a few' flame strikes and don't hit him then you are just doing something wrong.

And here we go again saying FS does 40 dmg with 70 fire. That is 100%, grade A bull****. FS does like 28 -30 dmg if you have 70% fire. If you are cursed it does like 38 unless the person has scribe in which case it can do a bit more. If the person is cursed and corpsed then the FS can do 42 or so. You are complaining about the people droping FS omen combo which gives it the extra dmg. Don't even go there... with all the sick gear that is so easy to make for dexers and archers its hardly argumentative.
You must be joking. A mage with parry and 45 dci is hard to hit. The fizzle on a hit is moot because any decent mage just runs off your screen and precasts anyways. You can drop that exp fs eo ps combo in less than 10 seconds and if you dont have the str youre screwed. But yet theyre worried about conc. It takes 3 conc blows to kill a decent pvper. Assuming theyre dumb enough to stand there, but its not likely. The 70 dmg hit from a reg conc is BS even with hit spell. It's just not true unless you have extremely shoddy suit or low mana. And Passion has hit me, his conc did maybe 50 dmg with hit spell and im not even 70 phys.

And lets put the FS bit this way, you can corpseskin and pull off that combo. I had a friend hit me with this. I had 120 HP and was corpseskinned down to 60 fire, that combo dropped me to 14 HP. If I didnt have chugging I'd be a FB away from gray. Without being corpseskinned, I had him do it again and at 70% fire it dropped me to 24 HP. Again this is 100% effective unless you're lucky enough to hit the parry mage. I could go on but there's really no point.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And lets put the FS bit this way, you can corpseskin and pull off that combo. I had a friend hit me with this. I had 120 HP and was corpseskinned down to 60 fire, that combo dropped me to 14 HP. If I didnt have chugging I'd be a FB away from gray. Without being corpseskinned, I had him do it again and at 70% fire it dropped me to 24 HP. Again this is 100% effective unless you're lucky enough to hit the parry mage. I could go on but there's really no point.
Your logic is slightly flawed when saying that people can exp/fs/eo/ps too easily with parry being so effective.

A parry mage can't output that kind of damage, I know, I play both necro and parry mage.

There aren't enough available skill points to be necro/parry with the scribe to get the dmg bonus. Not to mention, to be an effective parry mage you need to sacrifice intelligence for a minimum of 80 dex (after items, which results in additional SDI lost).

Instead of complaining about dmg dealt by necro mages that get exp/fs/eo/ps off, maybe you should switch to a faster bow when someone casts 7th circle spells?

I know you play an archer because you like hitting only 3 keys, but come on, change your tactic a bit.

And concussion is overpowered, on my dexer I tested it and I can do 9 concussion blows in a row, 10 if I get consecutive mana leech off.

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
spells can be disrupted and cost mana but you cant miss

melee/archery can miss but cant be disrupted and can be done on the move

this has been the "balance" of dexxers versus mages in UO forever quit beating a dead horse

ps. nerf conc blow

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your logic is slightly flawed when saying that people can exp/fs/eo/ps too easily with parry being so effective.
How is it flawed? I've been hit with this combo lots, I can just chug through it though. I was fighting a mage with parry and 45 dci I missed him 5 of 6 times. The only way I was able to hit him was to wait for the HLD to go off. Then he died. The only difference is he was dumb enough to stand there after the HLD went off. It took two concs with a concecrate weapon hit of 31. Otherwise the logic is solid. As I've said most run and precast anyways. A mage who would sit there trying to cast while getting shot at is simply an idiot or ganking.

There aren't enough available skill points to be necro/parry with the scribe to get the dmg bonus. Not to mention, to be an effective parry mage you need to sacrifice intelligence for a minimum of 80 dex (after items, which results in additional SDI lost).
120 necro
120 ss
120 mage
120 eval
120 parry
100 scribe = 700 points, MR is made up by the suit. What is MR cap? 16? Yeah, it can be done.

Instead of complaining about dmg dealt by necro mages that get exp/fs/eo/ps off, maybe you should switch to a faster bow when someone casts 7th circle spells?
It was the comparison between the two as far as damage. Why should they nerf conc if mages are still allowed to do so much damage? Nerf eo and I'll gladly let them nerf Conc.

I know you play an archer because you like hitting only 3 keys, but come on, change your tactic a bit.

And concussion is overpowered, on my dexer I tested it and I can do 9 concussion blows in a row, 10 if I get consecutive mana leech off.
I use 12 macros on my red archer for items, chiv and specials. I have no problems playing a mage, I just rather play my red. Because you build an uber suit doesnt mean the special is overrated. You can build a sick suit on a mage too. Whats your point?

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 necro
120 ss
120 mage
120 eval
120 parry
100 scribe = 700 points, MR is made up by the suit. What is MR cap? 16? Yeah, it can be done.
lol

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't you play an archer tamer using a dread warhorse? :coco: :loser:
While I have one, I haven't played that character in excess of 2 months. You might be thinking of "I'm Talented", whose testicals ascended as he returned to WOW when UO refused to fix the 2 week lag problem.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im thinking of "I PEE EXCELLENCE", I assume thats yours correct? I saw you at the gate maybe a week or two ago if so. Not hard to dismount and all kill. 2 macros :bowdown:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im thinking of "I PEE EXCELLENCE", I assume thats yours correct? I saw you at the gate maybe a week or two ago if so. Not hard to dismount and all kill. 2 macros :bowdown:
No, I do not have a character with that name.

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im sure youre thinking of just "excellence" who is also in CoM in the guild P- and rides a white dog

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 necro
120 ss
120 mage
120 eval
120 parry
I want too fight the person using this template.... MR is adjusted by your meditation skill, so let alone you really need 80 dex to run the parry effective, and you have no med, so u basically have dexer intel and regen this is worthless.

Saint of Killers

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, Berethrain needs to login once in a while to get his facts straight on peeps temps, and mage/necro temps in general.

On another note, I love how everyone that uses a sc mage wep (free 120 melee skill set without needing to actually invest in the points) cry about "balancing" templates.

Dorinda

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, Berethrain needs to login once in a while to get his facts straight on peeps temps, and mage/necro temps in general.

On another note, I love how everyone that uses a sc mage wep (free 120 melee skill set without needing to actually invest in the points) cry about "balancing" templates.
I like how every dexer uses a trap box with 0 magical resist skill, so I guess it does "balance" out.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mana Regeneration - Increases the wearer's natural Mana regeneration rate. Subject to diminishing returns - the difference between 0 MR and 3 MR is substantially greater than the difference between 15 MR and 18 MR. No hard cap.

Did I miss something? If you need more than 100 mana to kill someone, youre plain horrible and should stick to farming vorpal bunnies and mongbats anyways.

You need 80 dex to reap the 35% max dci for shield. 70 dex was 30% and so on. Tack 45 dci on to that and its hard to go wrong. I made the character with those skills and I've had no problems with it.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like how every dexer uses a trap box with 0 magical resist skill, so I guess it does "balance" out.
Hardly, magic resist is pretty much worthless now. Especially with evil omen. Evil Omen should not affect anyone with 100 resist or above. Just my thoughts.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did I miss something? If you need more than 100 mana to kill someone, youre plain horrible and should stick to farming vorpal bunnies and mongbats anyways.

You need 80 dex to reap the 35% max dci for shield. 70 dex was 30% and so on. Tack 45 dci on to that and its hard to go wrong. I made the character with those skills and I've had no problems with it.
I would sodomize (anally ****) that template in 5 spells on any of the mage templates I use.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would sodomize (anally ****) that template in 5 spells on any of the mage templates I use.
If you say so. :coco:

I'd duel but I robbed the necro for the necro bushido macer I made. That turned out moot because you can't spam evade now. Oh well, necro macer here I come.

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

yes at 80 dex you get 35% max for a shield, but with no evade skill you must be using a mage weapon.

so thats 20% chance to parry with a 1 handed wep with no bushido

unless youre going with a wep and shield and not chugging, which i think is more beneficial than 20% chance to parry

i know the temp sounds good on paper, but i really dont see it working on the field :/ and absolutely no chance in a duel

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
unless youre going with a wep and shield and not chugging, which i think is more beneficial than 20% chance to parry
This is the route I went. There's really no point of trying to chug with parry if you don't have bushido. I think went something to the effect of 90str 80 parry 85 int. The suit made up more. I'm not a great mage but for someone who is good at it like say Cardell, would be effective, even if you dropped scribe for wrestling.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hardly, magic resist is pretty much worthless now. Especially with evil omen. Evil Omen should not affect anyone with 100 resist or above. Just my thoughts.
Thats just something ****ty dexers that cry about sucking say.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats just something ****ty dexers that cry about sucking say.
Probably because you spam it. Either way I carry apples and a box usually so it doesn't affect me.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen you pvp. Here's how it plays out usually

1. Run and precast curse
2. run and precast corpseskin
3. explosion
4. fs
5 eo
6 ps
7 and then small spell spam if that doesn't polish them off

Of course you'd argue in favor of keeping evil omen the way it is. I would to, but resist should be worth having I'd think.

Dubar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when mages run in and drop a debuff on you such as curse or corpse then run off to precast another spell, just apple while theyre gone and let them dump on you with 70 fire

all these temps and scenarios show a real lack of game mechanic knowledge

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when mages run in and drop a debuff on you such as curse or corpse then run off to precast another spell, just apple while theyre gone and let them dump on you with 70 fire
I wait till they use curse and corpseskin then apple. No point waiting the extra time to use another apple.

If game mechanics weren't flawed there would be no reason to nerf conc blow. But thanks for pointing it out anyways.

Saint of Killers

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny...my resist looked to be 120 last time I checked. Keep hiding behind your skirt girlfriend. Everyone knows you're the weak link in 2.0

Parafield in between houses. Stay in the field, and cry for someone to save you. Sums up your skills.

Also...maybe every dexxer that has 120 anatomy should get a free melee skill so they can fit 120 resist. Balanced yet?

To answer the original poster's question. If you play a mage like all of 2.0 suggested, be ready to ONLY show up if you have another mage holding your hand. You never see them hanging around on their mages solo. The only glimpse you may get is one of them running to Lynk's house west of the gate. Why do you think Lynk has so many Onyxia pix. He's usually the only guildie around so needs his stealth action. It's not a dirty thing, just reality.