• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Explosive Goo worth it?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking of trying Goo/AI/Discord combo on a pet, but if Goo isn't worth it just Discord/AI... maybe whirlwind. The idea was making something that could be helpful progressing a spawn as well as hitting the boss.

Anyone have this combo on anything? How does it work if so?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Have not tried Disco on any combo yet.. but I have been rethinking all of the area effects honestly. They really need to look at increasing the area they effect. WAY too small of an area imho.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since the mana change I don't know I'm rather on the fence about it... My spider while full on Mana will rage at a spawn destroying everything on the screen with a few casts of Goo... but when his mana gets lower it takes so long for him to start casting it again effectively that I don't know anymore...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the mana change I don't know I'm rather on the fence about it... My spider while full on Mana will rage at a spawn destroying everything on the screen with a few casts of Goo... but when his mana gets lower it takes so long for him to start casting it again effectively that I don't know anymore...
Yeah that's why I'm wondering. :( I guess I should try it on something first before scrolling a pet up.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put goo and AI on a 2-5 fire steed and when fully trained it tore narvey a new hole I could not pick it up and put it in my house though. The goo worked great, it did not go off as much as i would like but it was consistent.

The more I put on my pets the less I see of the specials occurring or more of just one.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put goo and AI on a 2-5 fire steed and when fully trained it tore narvey a new hole I could not pick it up and put it in my house though. The goo worked great, it did not go off as much as i would like but it was consistent.

The more I put on my pets the less I see of the specials occurring or more of just one.
Yeah, thats why I was thinking just AI (which seems like a must have since it's the most powerful ability in the game) and Discord, but maybe AI/Goo would be better.

Have you ever done a spawn with your FS? Id really like to get a pet together than I can possibly do Barracoon solo with.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran the tram rat spawn(yes solo) but not with the fire steed, I used a naj with AI and Poison breath/poisoning. Loved that it was very entertaining. To make things go faster park my pet and teleport around to gather the hordes and lead them to my pet. Towards the end even with a 1200 point pool of mana things slowed down a bit.

/the naj was not scrolled at all but was fully trained.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, thats why I was thinking just AI (which seems like a must have since it's the most powerful ability in the game) and Discord, but maybe AI/Goo would be better.

Have you ever done a spawn with your FS? Id really like to get a pet together than I can possibly do Barracoon solo with.
Both AI and Goo are probably highest mana cost abilities there. AI by itself quite capable of draining any mana pool very quickly, and not a terribly good idea on a pet without maxed out MR and Legendary Med and Focus (it will drain the mana pool there too). So consider carefully whether you want a weaker ability firing regularly or having to constantly wait for mana to regen for AI.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't personally think AI is worth it and won't be putting it on any pets. Discord yes. As I'll eventually be turning my Tamer back into a 4/6 Chiv/Vamp Form/Vet/Dexxer, possibly with some points to SS so I can Corpse/Onslaught/Rune Corruption.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both AI and Goo are probably highest mana cost abilities there. AI by itself quite capable of draining any mana pool very quickly, and not a terribly good idea on a pet without maxed out MR and Legendary Med and Focus (it will drain the mana pool there too). So consider carefully whether you want a weaker ability firing regularly or having to constantly wait for mana to regen for AI.
Well, there aren't any weaker "Special moves" that are worth using at all in pvm, let alone in place of AI. If you are fighting high end stuff you either have to have AI, or a means of lowering the targets resists which really just means rune corruption or Inferno, or maybe necro or chiv, all of which are very creature specific, so in a lot of cases forgoing AI isn't really an option if you want to be near or above GD dps levels. :/

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AI is great for an all around pet, especially when your target is a Greater healing spell caster it can shave minutes off the end battle...At an EM event or something you probably want to go another route. With that being said I still got a drop at the last Em event using a half trained Cu no scrolls and just AI on it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AI is great for an all around pet, especially when your target is a Greater healing spell caster it can shave minutes off the end battle...At an EM event or something you probably want to go another route. With that being said I still got a drop at the last Em event using a half trained Cu no scrolls and just AI on it.
Like I said I basically want something to do rat spawn with. I figure AI is good for the boss, but maybe it's better to go another route, with maybe chiv for eeo? I really don't know.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like I said I basically want something to do rat spawn with. I figure AI is good for the boss, but maybe it's better to go another route, with maybe chiv for eeo? I really don't know.
It will do a few batches in a crowd. Was doing the pits last night but it killed the heck out of the drones while we were fighting humans. Sometimes it was 1 square sometimes things across the screen also got squares along with the area in front of the pet.

Do it on TC and go to mages at blackthorns and see if you like it.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
AI drains mana quickly and only increases the personal DPS of the pet, and only in the opening phase.
Once it's down, it won't recover anymore and damage lags behind options like Discord, Rune Corruption or Grasping Claw, which also have the effect of helping every attacker's damage.

So, for my Archer Tamer, there's nothing better than Discord.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AI drains mana quickly and only increases the personal DPS of the pet, and only in the opening phase.
Once it's down, it won't recover anymore and damage lags behind options like Discord, Rune Corruption or Grasping Claw, which also have the effect of helping every attacker's damage.

So, for my Archer Tamer, there's nothing better than Discord.
My only hesitation on disco is that it doesn't do much against bosses.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's mostly ML Peerless where Disco is at 10% effectivity, the rest works fine IIRC. I remember I heard somewhere that everything with barding difficulty 160 only gets a part of the debuff, but I can't find where I read that.

But even then, a boss with 100k HP loses 1/40 (~2 each) of it's resists and skills, that's like a few K instant damage, if you calculate it like that. Multiplied for every additional source of damage, not that hot if it's only your pet doing damage. If you run a team and do damage yourself, you really bring the hammer down.
The thing is, your pet can only disco once and when it sticks, there's no further drain on the mana, so it complements other options pretty well, it scales with enemy tank and outgoing damage. No other pet skill can do that.

Of course, if your tamer runs disco themselves, there's no need for that.

Edit: Actually, Mortal Strike scales, too, though in a different way. But that would be a skill with fantastic synergy.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exp goo is good damage, but i find its main effectiveness is just creating a super aggro effect to bring the mobs to your pet. Like on my whirlwind hiryu, exp goo keeps bringing the mobs to the pet for whirlwinds, kind of like hit area for a sampire.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exp goo is good damage, but i find its main effectiveness is just creating a super aggro effect to bring the mobs to your pet. Like on my whirlwind hiryu, exp goo keeps bringing the mobs to the pet for whirlwinds, kind of like hit area for a sampire.
But it also makes the p[et run off and fight another mob. And if the mob it chooses is blocked in a crowd it just stands around. But, Ill hop[e the devs fix that.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just put Goo on my tsuki wolf- with 300 Int/Mana, 30 MR, GM Med and GM Focus it fires off a few times initially but then my tsuki is perpetually out of mana and never recasts it. Can't say I'm too impressed