• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Expert Thief input needed.

A

A Rev

• If you are reported for murder you will be kicked out of the Thieves Guild.

• To see if someone is in the Thieves Guild use the Forensic Evaluation skill on them. The higher your Forensic Evaluation skill, the more chance you have of finding out who's in the Thieves Guild.

This.

You can be red and in the thieves guild.
I have never been able to detect someone with GM forensic...i might just be unlucky.

Also, apparantly, if you are in the thieves guild your corpse is open in trammel ruleset and may be looted by anyone.

Performing beneficial acts upon a theif will flag you criminal.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*giggles*.
No, performing beneficial acts on a theif may get you a spelling lesson if certain posters read it. :

S

Shinobi

* You can only steal from innocent players if you are a member of the Thieves Guild.

Ehhh, this is a little unclear. It should read "In order to steal from other players, you must be a member of the Thieves Guild."

* To join the Thieves Guild you need to have at least 60 skill in stealing and have at least played 48 hours with that character. Also you cannot have any murdercounts.

I believe that within the past year or so, the rule was adjusted to where you have to have at least 60 REAL skill in Stealing, have played at least 48 in-game hours on that character, and you must have had that character for a rl week. I say this because new thieves in my guild started complaining, around a year ago, that they were CERTAIN they were well over 48 in-game hours on their thief, and still were unable to join. Almost an exact week later, they were in the guild. As far as murder counts go, it doesn't matter how many you have, you can still join.

* If you are not a member of the Thieves Guild you *can* steal from NPCs, Guildmates, opponents in a Guild War or players that are flagged grey or red to you. You can also steal from members of the Thieves Guild.

Completely wrong, except the NPC part. If you aren't in the Thieves Guild, you can ONLY steal from NPCs and pack horses/llamas (even if they belong to another player).

* The more armor you are wearing, the harder it is to steal.

As long as the armor you wear is medable, it will not affect your stealing, nor stealth.

* You can be noticed by any player or NPC who is within a 15x15 tile box surrounding the VICTIM. So thats within 7 tiles of the victim, square shaped. You can get caught on the diagonal compass points (NW,SW,SE,NE) at almost 10 tiles. See this picture.

Never tested this, so i can't say whether it is 100% correct or not.

* If you are reported for murder you will be kicked out of the Thieves Guild.

Wrong. Nothing happens.

* To see if someone is in the Thieves Guild use the Forensic Evaluation skill on them. The higher your Forensic Evaluation skill, the more chance you have of finding out who's in the Thieves Guild.

Right. Supposedly, back in the day, Forensic Evaluation could even be used to remove disguises off of thieves currently in disguise. Whether or not that is true, it cannot be done anymore.

Also, as for the chart, you may as well take that down. If your Stealing skill is, for example, at 80, that does NOT mean that you are unable to steal anything higher than 8 stones. It simply means that you have a lower chance of successfully stealing a high-stoned item than a thief, for instance, with 120 Stealing. If Random Stealing (rather than Direct Stealing) is used, then the thief's ability to steal high-stoned items successfully is greatly increased.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much everything that has been said, as far as I know, though I am no expert.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks a lot :) The page will be included in tonight's update.

C

Caelas

Also, as for the chart, you may as well take that down. If your Stealing skill is, for example, at 80, that does NOT mean that you are unable to steal anything higher than 8 stones. It simply means that you have a lower chance of successfully stealing a high-stoned item than a thief, for instance, with 120 Stealing. If Random Stealing (rather than Direct Stealing) is used, then the thief's ability to steal high-stoned items successfully is greatly increased.
I'm no expert, but I can verify that random stealing can net heavier loot than what you should get according to the chart. I randomly stole a partial stack of lockpicks from my pack llama the other day...19 stones worth. My skill is less than 60 (don't remember the exact number)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm no expert, but I can verify that random stealing can net heavier loot than what you should get according to the chart. I randomly stole a partial stack of lockpicks from my pack llama the other day...19 stones worth. My skill is less than 60 (don't remember the exact number)
Random stealing does indeed get bigger stacks. When targeting 100 or so mandrake root, I get around half the amount. However, through random stealing I would likely get the entire stack. So I verify the random stealing getting heavier items as well.