• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Exodus: The Guardian

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was browsing through some of the old lore on Exodus when I noticed this line.

“You wish to conquer Britannia?”
“I wish to see you in your proper place as Britannia’s ruler. I can give you the power to make this happen.”
Blackthorn hesitated. “And what do you have to gain by allowing me to rule? Surely you don’t expect me to believe that you wish to simply hand me the throne as a gift?”
“I seek to fulfill my original purpose.” The lights twinkled dimly and the voice lowered in pitch. “You know this from what I have shown you. I was once meant to inherit the land as its absolute guardian, ...”

It's a bit of a stretch, but the Exodus of UO2 / Blackthorne's Damnation wasn't just a demon bent on revenge. He was a world-conquering demi-God, one who inspired the fellowship and fanatical following of a select group of worshipers. (i.e. The Nexus.) Who managed to twist entire civilizations to his will, and transport them across centuries to fight in his wars. If the writer at the time knew a thing about Ultima, then he would know that “Guardian” is a loaded word when used in relation to a major antagonist.

In Ultima Online, the Guardian cannot exist (at least it we follow the UIX Plot) without the Avatar. Did the previous developers have some grander scheme for Exodus? Was Exodus intended to be the Guardian?