• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] Exactly how rare are other wood types?

K

King Durango

How rare are the Yews, Heartwoods, Frostwoods and Bloodwoods? I've only had a GM Lumberjacker for a week and a half but still I'm frustrated at their rarity. As I've spent more and more time looking for other wood types I've finally started to find more Yew. For a while I was getting regular Heartwood but that was only because I had found one tree next to my house but it has since changed. Can Heartwood, Frostwood and Bloodwood only be found in specific lands, areas or forests? Are they more common in one place than another? Tram/Fel/Ilshenar/Malas/Tokuno? Do I need to be in a snow covered area to find Frostwood? A volcanic area to find Bloodwood? And as for professional LJs please estimate at what rate do they turn up for you; 10,000 regular logs to 1 Frostwood log? 20,000 to 1? 100,000 to 1?

Thank you.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ridiculously rare.

I just found the first bloodwood I've seen in a couple of months. I chopped it twice for a total of 110 boards, now it's oak again. The one admitted script LJ I know of won't sell his bloodwood, it's become so rare.

Dude1598

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its really rare to find bloodwood and frostwood. I do a good amount of LJ a week and my totals are under 5k for a weeks worth of work. Before they changed it I was running a wood vendor and was making alot of cash. I can be making alot more now if I kept it up but with my totals they make me sick.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here is the info from the official UO site.

Yew is supposed to be 5% chance of the resource square switching to it
Heartwood is 3%
Bloodwood is 2%
Frostwood is 1%

Note that the numbers used to be MUCH worse.

Perhaps we should ask the devs and make sure that a later changes didn't accidentally revert it to the old numbers (which were about 1/10 the above numbers).

5% Luck

In my experience I chopped 600k plain wood 180k oak 120k ash 60k yew 20k heart 8k blood and ZERO frost.

I dont jack much anymore!

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh my,

it was a good thing that I didnt burn all my bloodwood on vesper krysses then.

I have about 50k bloodwood left.
:D

Regards
The Scandinavian

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My maths sucks, and I never did properly understand percentages, so I'm not sure if I'm understanding properly. Before the changes 0.1% of trees were Frostwood, they were rare, but once you'd found one you could count on it, barring it being already empty of course.

Now there's a 1% chance of it changing to Frostwood. That doesn't mean 1 in every 100 times you chop a specific tree it will come up Frostwood though. It is my belief that if there was a way to check what % of trees are Frostwood at any given point in time there would be less than the .1% than we started with.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is because it seems like noone understands what 1% means. 1% chance works like this......Each time you start a new run on a tree it basically rolls a 100 sided die. If it rolls a 1 you get frostwood or what not. New roll each new tree. Thats how they program a random number generator. Based on the same thing D&D used.

R

Rifanil

This is another 'I've been away' kinda message, but do I understand correctly that all wood and ore spawns are now completely random? If so, does the chance reset every time the resource re-spawns (that doesn't see to be true for ore; just starting on lj), at set intervals, or randomly?

And does that also mean that tree right outside my door has as much chance of giving frostwood at any given time as any other tree? So there's no point to the exploration and mapping that used to be part of lumberjacking & mining?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IT is also true for ore - you've just been lucky.

The chance of change is small, for each time resources are harvested - so pretty much random. It could occur with the next respawn, or take 10, 20 or more.

There are only two, linked, reasons for exploring and mapping for resources, now - QUANTITY & QUALITY.

While the TYPE of ore or wood now changes at random intervals (change chance after each harvesting of the available resource), the AMOUNT the resource square gives on average doesn't change. Similarly, each resource square apparently has set ratios of "colored vs. normal" whose level stays at the same chance, even if the resource type changes (not sure if this is for both wood & ore, or if each have their own separate value).

So, if you have a tree that produces 50 chops of wood (500 or 550 logs, depending if you're elf or human) on average, it will always produce that average amount if it has recovered from the previous visit, regardless of the wood type. If a spot usually gives 25-30 ore, that will stay constant too.

If a spot produced 70% (on average) colored resources, on every visit, prior to the randomization changes, it will STILL produce that ratio, any time that the site is giving colored resources.

So, if the previous example of a mining spot was 25-30 ore, with 70% colored, and was a bronze spot before the changes, it STILL puts out 25-30 ore, and 70% of it will be colored ore, be it Dull Copper or Valorite, so long as it is currently capable of putting out colored ore (as even if it is Iron, you can raise it to Dull Copper with a prospectors' tool).

Logging, in my experience, has been the same, except there's no way to raise a normal wood resource square to oak. But, if while exploring, I found an oak tree that was putting out over 50% oak, and allowed 50 chops, I'd mark it in a heartbeat, and chop it every time, hoping it changes to one of the good woods from my efforts later.

The exploration now is to find the high-yield places with good colored-to-normal ratios. Your haul from them will still be random, but you'll get a lot more quality wood over time that way as the high-output trees change to things you want.

I'm already using this strategy for the rare times I still book mine. I eliminated all the under-10-ore spots, and all the "less than 50% colored" spots from my two Trammel/Malas ore book sets long before the change. Now, I have places that, while random (and I can tweak a bit with the PT & GPA), give me a LOT (comparable to Fel mining) of colored ore with a minimum of stops.

R

Rifanil

Thanks Basara - that's an outstanding explanation and summary.

Z

Zodiac19

I have never ever ever choped one stick of Frostwood. I spent more hours than I care to count when the new woods came out and even with random spawn still NADA.....

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've found 1 frostwood giving tree in my lifetime. I milked it for as long as it would last. Only got like 1200 boards out of it.