• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Every caster template has a shape change spell available except Paladins

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I propose that a new spell is added to the Chivalry book that allows paladins to become "angelic" and take on a form of the winged angels we saw in the Moonglow event. Benefits could range from faster mana/stamina regen (like vamp form on necro side) to flight just like what will be introduced with the gargs....oh and how about a "holy steed" to counter the undead steed that necros get.

GoodGuy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And i propose that necro's spell animate dead should work as a rez spell

Its not fair necros can't rez or cure. even though we control the dead and work with poisons.

S

Sarphus

I'm ok with chivalry getting a useful shape-change spell as long as it has a difficulty of 70 (which would make it 100% cast at 120 and barely castable at 70.1). If the spell is a toggle on/off like the necro forms then it should have a min cast of GM.

Chivalry is one of the poorest balanced skills in the game. It has a disproportionate amount of its overall power coming from the lower lvl spells. Naturally, this causes players to take 60-75 chivalry and still have most of the power form the skill. Adding a few interesting high lvl spells to chiv would possibly encourage people to actually take chiv over 80 :)

N

Ni-

I don't mean to be picky, but I consider Bushido to be a casting template...

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm ok with chivalry getting a useful shape-change spell as long as it has a difficulty of 70 (which would make it 100% cast at 120 and barely castable at 70.1). If the spell is a toggle on/off like the necro forms then it should have a min cast of GM.

Chivalry is one of the poorest balanced skills in the game. It has a disproportionate amount of its overall power coming from the lower lvl spells. Naturally, this causes players to take 60-75 chivalry and still have most of the power form the skill. Adding a few interesting high lvl spells to chiv would possibly encourage people to actually take chiv over 80 :)
I think the "angel" spell should be the same difficulty level as the necro spell of Vampiric Embrace (99 skill)

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
God forbid any class has anything that other classes can't do.

P

pavel.vesely

I like my paladin able to change to brainless berserker with enhance scripting +20 autoproperty. Female only 3B spell is too undecent to mention here, and only suitable to fallen paladin class anyway.

S

ShadowJack

yeah the game has too many hybrids, what ever happened to a pure class?

A cool form for paladins would be something like a little white dragon or something

what creatures go with virtue??? I would't want to be a unicorn lol

S

Salty Pete

yeah the game has too many hybrids, what ever happened to a pure class?
UO isn't a class based game. It never has been and hopefully will never become one as that destroys what the game is really about: Characters.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im all for the angelic spell, would be great for my rp divine char. just make it leech stam and resistant to poison. and make it so once you go below the skill lvl you loose it.

M

Maddin

I'd rather see evil paladins, bonuses from neg karma and or being red.

S

ShadowJack

I'm just saying

it's not a bard

it's a bard/mage/tamer/spellweaver

or a paladin/necro/wep/blah blah

what ever happened to I play an archer or a thief or a mage

the pure class should be as good if not better at what the class does than the hybrids

Silly to even think of a char with necro/paladin skills if you think about it.

I don't care about it, I just think the idea is funny. Not trying to change hybrids at all, just laughing at them

S

ShadowJack

UO isn't a class based game. It never has been and hopefully will never become one as that destroys what the game is really about: Characters.
you aren't allowed to reply to me unless you are in char pirate!

S

ShadowJack

Its not fair necros can't rez or cure. even though we control the dead and work with poisons.
That's a damn good point that I will agree on. it just makes sense.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds good to me, I'd love to be able to dump Necro off my Sammy/Pally/Necromancing monstrosity. PS How about a manaless tank that can... um, tank? :D

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you ever heard of a shapeshifting paladin??? Jesus, if you want to have different forms... USE OTHER SKILLS. PALADINS...ARE...NOT...WIZARDS.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you ever heard of a shapeshifting paladin??? Jesus, if you want to have different forms... USE OTHER SKILLS. PALADINS...ARE...NOT...WIZARDS.
You say they are not wizards and thats your opinion. I see Paladins as "holy" mages.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The animate dead should rez people and put them in "Zombie Form." Maybe same buffs, debuffs and undead status as Vampire, but no leeching or regens.

:scholar:

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Polymorph and shape-shifting pallies, no.

However, it's entirely reasonable if you consider a paladin calling on his/her patron faith/virtue to grant him/her the power to take the form of an Avatar of said faith/virtue.

The form of an Avatar may manifest in the shape of an angel as some folks have sugested. Any bonus that this Avatar form gives could be scaled on the modulus of Karma. ie More powerful at extreme good or extreme evil spectrums.

Also, instead of an angel. the paladin may simply just grow 2 storeys tall. Becoming a giant is more workable in 3D engines since it's easier to scale the size. Might require a ton of new graphics in 2D.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But but but...I want what he's having!!!!!!!

*shakes head*

Somethings just arent meant for debate...and honestly I think this is one of them. I can think of a few different templates you could run with chiv that give you the ability to change form...including ninja and that oh so popular necro dexxer temp using jewels. There are also chiv mages too...so I dont understand if you just dont know this or if you are having trouble putting the square block through the circle shaped hole.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So I propose that a new spell is added to the Chivalry book that allows paladins to become "angelic" and take on a form of the winged angels we saw in the Moonglow event. Benefits could range from faster mana/stamina regen (like vamp form on necro side) to flight just like what will be introduced with the gargs....oh and how about a "holy steed" to counter the undead steed that necros get.

Ninjitsu can't heal outside the regen boost from Dog/cat form. None other than Bushido lets you evade attacks. Magery is the only one that lets you summon creatures you have complete control over like Tamers pets. Chiv has the only spell that restores stamina....all of them are different and there is probably a reason.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ninjitsu can't heal outside the regen boost from Dog/cat form. None other than Bushido lets you evade attacks. Magery is the only one that lets you summon creatures you have complete control over like Tamers pets. Chiv has the only spell that restores stamina....all of them are different and there is probably a reason.
Necro's Vamp Embrace gives a boost to stamina regen as well,even though its passive. Pallys have to cast a spell(devine fury) to gain back lost stamina.

Edit: Why I posted this here is that I do feel it would be a good fit for the game,and a second reason is that in any game I have played,the "good guys" i.e. paladins,clerics and the like have never gotten any shapeshifting spells. Only the "evil" or "bad guys" get that gift.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Necro's Vamp Embrace gives a boost to stamina regen as well,even though its passive. Pallys have to cast a spell(devine fury) to gain back lost stamina.

Edit: Why I posted this here is that I do feel it would be a good fit for the game,and a second reason is that in any game I have played,the "good guys" i.e. paladins,clerics and the like have never gotten any shapeshifting spells. Only the "evil" or "bad guys" get that gift.
I take offense that you are calling my mage a bad guy! :D

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mean to be picky, but I consider Bushido to be a casting template...
At first I thought that it could be also but your not actually casting anything your using abilities similar to weapon skills but not quite the same. There are no words above your head when using the abilities either.

I have no idea how ninjitsu works never cared to try it because it required to much time building skills and learning things and never seemed useful enough to be worth all the trouble and time. But I think it is similar to bushido and I would consider it about the same thing not a casting template but an added set of abilities.

S

ShadowJack

The pallys could summon a serpah angel that doesn't tap to attack

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pallys could summon a serpah angel that doesn't tap to attack
That's a Serra Angel (original art by Douglas Shular was the best), a WW2- 4/4 with Fly and doesn't tap to attack (or know as Viligance now)....anyway...

I think if they wanted to add a spell like that to Pally's, it should be something like Avatar form (fits right into UO too).

Cost something like 50 mana, min skill 110, and would be something along the lines of:
And would either do one of the following:
-Combine the effects of EoO, Divine Fury and Concerate Weapon for a longer period of time.
-Allow the Casting of Paladin Spells for the duration of the spell for no mana cost.
-Turns the Paladin into a wreckingball of destruction. Something along the lines of +300% Damage Increase (ie caps it out), reduces damage taken to 10%, set attack speed to 1.25 seconds.... And the player can only cast Paladin spells while this is active and anyother effects (ie- vamp form) are dispelled when this spell is cast.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a Serra Angel (original art by Douglas Shular was the best), a WW2- 4/4 with Fly and doesn't tap to attack (or know as Viligance now)....anyway...

I think if they wanted to add a spell like that to Pally's, it should be something like Avatar form (fits right into UO too).

Cost something like 50 mana, min skill 110, and would be something along the lines of:
-Combine the effects of EoO, Divine Fury and Concerate Weapon for a longer period of time.
-Allow the Casting of Paladin Spells for the duration of the spell for no mana cost.
-Turns the Paladin into a wreckingball of destruction. Something along the lines of +300% Damage Increase (ie caps it out), reduces damage taken to 10%, set attack speed to 1.25 seconds.... And the player can only cast Paladin spells while this is active and anyother effects (ie- vamp form) are dispelled when this spell is cast.
Are you sure it's not seraph angel? What? Only 4/4 fly, with no trample damage? :D

Yes, taking avatar form should provide some bonus. I was thinking along the lines of a transformation spell that will remain in place until the char dies. Bonus is scaled to Karma.
The bonus could be increased effectiveness and duration of the normal chiv spells.

Having no need of mana to cast spells, a straight 300% DI or combining the effects of 3 existing spells into 1 might be a bit too overpowered.

So is shooting fireballs into enemies at a distance (Deity Link :D), but would allow my melee warrior to dispatch monsters that has flown into the mountains etc.

U

ultima online

Are you sure it's not seraph angel? What? Only 4/4 fly, with no trample damage? :D

Yes, taking avatar form should provide some bonus. I was thinking along the lines of a transformation spell that will remain in place until the char dies. Bonus is scaled to Karma.
The bonus could be increased effectiveness and duration of the normal chiv spells.

Having no need of mana to cast spells, a straight 300% DI or combining the effects of 3 existing spells into 1 might be a bit too overpowered.

So is shooting fireballs into enemies at a distance (Deity Link :D), but would allow my melee warrior to dispatch monsters that has flown into the mountains etc.
pffft you dont want serra angel, you want akroma angel of wrath! 6/6 first striking, trampling proc black and red with added Vigilance and all wrapped up with haste so you can start hitting straight away :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You say they are not wizards and thats your opinion. I see Paladins as "holy" mages.
Well then why dont you ask for priest class skill? Paladin is pretty well established as a fantasy architype, and to have it diviate into "holy mage" or priest, then why not have a different class.

The point of calling things something recognizable is so that they will be what people expect, and in every incarnation paladins are warriors first, magic second. Now under the header of "paladin" you can do alot of stuff, but giving paladins shapes, and enegery bursts and all of the other silly things people have asked for in paladins defeats the purpose of calling them paladins.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pffft you dont want serra angel, you want akroma angel of wrath! 6/6 first striking, trampling proc black and red with added Vigilance and all wrapped up with haste so you can start hitting straight away :)
No I want Platinum angle I think its called! The one that says you cannot loose and your opponent cannot win while this creature is in play!

I tottaly got lucky and got 2 of those in a pre release sealed deck tourny, somehow played the and won by decking my opponent! Hah :p

/magic nerd talk.

U

ultima online

No I want Platinum angle I think its called! The one that says you cannot loose and your opponent cannot win while this creature is in play!

I tottaly got lucky and got 2 of those in a pre release sealed deck tourny, somehow played the and won by decking my opponent! Hah :p

/magic nerd talk.
yeah its alright, it has its weakness though, and you want magic geeky? i got the mana symbols tattooed down my arm now thats geeky! :p