• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to close.so

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to clos

Wulf, don't get me wrong : I too think it's very nice of you to help us who have technical problems ; I just meant that your instructions you gave to Argantes seemed very difficult to ME : because I'm very ignorant on these subjects !

A

Argantes

Re: Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to clos

Go to start, run, and type in cmd. Hit ok to open a command prompt, and type in:
tasklist > c:\tasks.txt

Then open c:\tasks.txt and copy/paste the contents to this thread. Who knows, maybe there's something weird running that'll jump out at somebody as a source of problems.
Sent you the easy info thingie, this part tho... tells me tasklist is not an external or internal command.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Random suggestion to get you the latest drivers:

Graphics
Go to:
http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?url=/download/

Click I accept. In the first box, select Windows XP. Middle box select IGP graphics drivers. Bottom box, select the middle option of SiS650 & SiS740 Series, then click go. Download the "SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver" and install it.

Your graphics drivers look pretty up to date though, so I'm not hopeful that this will solve it.

Audio
Go to http://download.cnet.com/3001-2110_4-170204.html?spi=b781cefa566c3df4d144225a84100c0f and wait. It looks pretty slow to get the download started.
Your audio drivers are pretty out of date, so it can't hurt to update them

Try uninstalling AVG (or otherwise disabling, but even disabled Antivirus isn't always really disabled) and rebooting. After rebooting, install the free version of MBAM ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ), go to the update tab and update, then have it run a full scan. If it finds something, let me know what it finds. If it finds nothing, you can uninstall MBAM if you'd like, then try to run UO. If it crashes, re-install AVG.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also, try find a way to (at least temporarily) disable Microsoft Windows Defender Antispyware. I don't use it, so can't give you instructions how to do so.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And just for some scheizengigglez, click start, run, type:
taskmgr

Go to the processes tab.
Select each individual process and click end process in the bottom right until only the following processes are running:

smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
svchost.exe
spoolsv.exe
ctfmon.exe
alg.exe
wmiprvse.exe

You may be told you don't have permission to close some processes, that's ok. Also, don't try to close duplicates of any of the ones I listed above, if they have one of those names, leave them running. At some point, explorer will close and you'll lose your icons. That's ok as well. When everything's closed, in Task Manager click File, Run, and browse to client.exe. Let me know if it crashes.

You can File, Run, explorer.exe to get your desktop back, at which point you should reboot.

Let me know if you need any clarification on anything, or if you're just getting sick of my "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" style of troubleshooting =]

A

Argantes

Random suggestion to get you the latest drivers:

Graphics
Go to:
http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?url=/download/

Click I accept. In the first box, select Windows XP. Middle box select IGP graphics drivers. Bottom box, select the middle option of SiS650 & SiS740 Series, then click go. Download the "SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver" and install it.

Your graphics drivers look pretty up to date though, so I'm not hopeful that this will solve it.
Almost certain I have done this one with EA support

Audio
Go to http://download.cnet.com/3001-2110_4-170204.html?spi=b781cefa566c3df4d144225a84100c0f and wait. It looks pretty slow to get the download started.
Your audio drivers are pretty out of date, so it can't hurt to update them.
Having trouble with this, the setup fails, says 'the audio driver files do not support your computer hardware'. Read the read me.txt before doing anything and it said to uninstall previous drivers first and reboot which I did. but no joy.

Try uninstalling AVG (or otherwise disabling, but even disabled Antivirus isn't always really disabled) and rebooting. After rebooting, install the free version of MBAM ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ), go to the update tab and update, then have it run a full scan. If it finds something, let me know what it finds. If it finds nothing, you can uninstall MBAM if you'd like, then try to run UO. If it crashes, re-install AVG.
Done, sent you the log via email.

A

Argantes

Opened windows defender and clicked exit on the tools tab, think that does it. Also done the processes step, blank blue screen, just taskmgr running, started client.exe, UO still crashed.

A

Argantes

More info. EA support sent me and EAsy Info ver.3. Dunno if this screenshot tells you more than the previous results I sent you. Two fails for shader versions means nothing to me.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How'd they send it to you?

If it's a public download, forward it to me and I'll test my system.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Did you take care of that MBAM thing?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My laptop fails the same two tests, yet launches the client fine. So that's nothing to worry about.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Did you try the process killing thing I mentioned above?

A

Argantes

Downloaded the driver, but get this message during setup 'Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again' Have rebooted but get the same thing.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What model of PC do you have? I'm assuming it's not custom built?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Alright. Is your sound working currently, with the original drivers? Or did I break it for you?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sorry to retread old ground, but walk me through it.

You double click client.exe. Do you instantly get the error, with nothing else appearing? Is there a delay? Does anything else flash?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Disconnect everything from the laptop including the power supply (including any keyboard/mouse, other USB devices, external monitor, network cable, etc.) and reboot. Try again and reconnect everything if it still crashes. I realize in the off-chance it does work you won't be able to play without a network connection, but may as well be thorough.

A

Argantes

Sound is fine. I've downloaded the driversuite from my product manufacturers site, think it just replaces what i uninstalled. Tried that latest driver again, still gettin the driver not found message.

When i start the client through the uo folder it is an almost instant crash, when started via start menu>eagames>ultimaonline2dclient it goes to the patch screen, patch session complete, I click ok, Ultima Online is loading appears in a little grey box for 3-4 seconds then the crash.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

After trying the 'disconnect everything' step, I can't think of anything else to try.

We'd need somebody from an upper tier of EA support to tell us exactly what happens with client.exe between loading the art.def file and loading tileart.uop.

A

Argantes

Tried that. I couldn't remove the power supply, I've always left the battery in so its knackered. :p but unplugged everything else. still no joy.

will put that to the tech guy dealing with me and see what he comes back with. Get to take a forced break from this problem over the weekend, any replies i tend to send them on a friday will be handled next week.

Thanks again Wulf, Ill update this thread as neccesary.

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just FYI. The dev team is watching this thread. And we are looking for solutions on our end. You said it definately still crashes after you delete the entitled.def? If thats the case, then it is not the new SA splash screen that is causing it to crash.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Keep in mind, me and Argantes kind of derailed the thread. I've only really been focusing on Argantes' issue, and not Snakeman's friend, so I couldn't tell you if the two are actually related at all.

It's good to see somebody that's in a position to help get interested. Maybe all my random technical prodding will end up giving some useful information to you guys =]

Edit: I may be on crack, and Argantes may be Snakeman's friend. I dunno, I'm not re-reading the whole thread to find out. :)

Supreem

Founder, Citadel Studios
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually Wulf it did. Your Process Monitor output has narrowed it down for me. Thanks

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks guys & Supreem, my friend went out & purchased a new computer :thumbsup:. He knew he was on a older machine, but it never occurred to him that his spec's were that ..... boarder line for UO. Says he's been able to play with no problems (he should fly now then :D). Maybe some help for others will come out of this, I hope so.

One last question thought, his new Vista machine on using SA he says: if he turns UO off (logs out), he gets this message, & it says "UO is loading" and he cant restart UO unless he turns off computer.
I remember this being an issue & I can't remember what the solution was :blushing:.

Thanks for all the help you gave to him. I have given him this link again to check & see the replies. Ty, Snake

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Load up Task Manager (hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) and go to the processes tab.

Select any instances of client.exe or UO.exe and click end process on them.

A

Argantes

Yes, I confess, I did hijack this thread! :p

I've had a response from support, hope it's ok to paste this....

'So the QA team said they have not come across this issue when testing. They wanted to know if you modified any files or if you are using a clean install every time before you patch?

Once thing you can try is turn off the movie that should start when the game starts up. You can do this by modifying the uo.cfg file. You can find the file in your UO 2D Client directory and if you open the file with notepad there is a line in there called ClientFirstLaunch and this should be set to yes. So if you could change it to ClientFirstLaunch=no then the game will skip the intro movie.'

I've replied, I have not modified anything (unless that includes what I have done from this thread) and the client I patched is the latest available download. But this 'ClientFirstLaunch' line does not exist for me.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just add it to the end then.

A

Argantes

Done, still crashes.

More info tho....

When the SA public beta download was released, I had the same problem then. I ignored it at the time though as the regular client was still fine.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They're probably unrelated crashes. The latest pub didn't change anything fundamental in the way the client worked.

S

skerescrow

Just read through the thread and wanted to report a second case of a similar problem. Ever since the patch my UO client crashes after the patch session. I've reformatted and resintalled and still no dice. I built my own pc years ago, but it still should run UO ok with 1gb ddr and XP2200 processor. 128 radeon 9200 series. Waiting for 3rd reply from EA.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Skerescrow, could you follow the same instructions with Process Monitor from post #37 and email it to me @ dontwantone7 at hotmail dot com?

I'll check if it's the same crash.

A

Argantes

re-installed my operating system to the time of purchase, completely updated through windows update. downloaded the client and allowed it to patch. crashes exactly the same.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

System Restore, or a recovery CD?

A

Argantes

Packard bell recovery program, hit f11 when I switched on my laptop, and it has two options. 1 windows xp restore and 2 full restore to time of purchase and lose everything. I went for option 2.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

All symptoms point to a driver issue. I will research and get back.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have gotten this several times in the last year. I don't use the SA haven't downloaded any of the new clients.
It has happened when there hadn't been a patch for weeks. I do a simple restore to appx 12 hours -1 day previously, and it works fine again.
I don't lose any recent files I have made.
I use Vistapro 64 bit os, not sure if other vista or xp will lose files.

B

Bamek

I had to register to Stratics just so I could reply to this thread.

I have been having a similair issue with uo crashing. I recently built a new pc with a fresh copy of XP, and tried running UO only for it to crash directly after the splash screen. XP would just tell me client.exe crashed.

After many hours of trying different video drivers, directX, and even having to seperate copies of UO (Downloaded 2D version, and a CD of 9th anniversary version), neither would work. I ended up going to the UO.CFG file and changing: SOUND=OFF & MUSIC=OFF ...Save the file , and bam it worked. Hope it works for you aswell. Now i need to fix my audio drivers. :D

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Skerescrow's Procmon excerpt:

Very similar.

A

Argantes

Tried Bamek's suggestion, didnt do it for me. I've patched up again this evening and I get a totally different screen now. Seems they want the info sent to them whenever there is a crash. Apologies for big screenie.

A

Argantes

Well the latest from support is that they cannot help me anymore. I've sent some info to Supreem as requested, and unless he can solve this I guess I'll be packing in UO.

S

skerescrow

The latest from EA says my video card is too low end and is causing the issue. I'm going to try another video card when I can get my hands on one, but I have doubts that it's the problem. Here is what EA posted...

"While investigating your issue, I checked the minimum requirements for the Mondain's Legacy expansion, as well as the EasyInfo report and the dxdig file you sent us. Both the Classic Client and the Enhanced Beta client require at least Pixel Shader Version 2.0 & Vertex Shader Version 2.0 as of the Mondain's Legacy expansion. In the EasyInfo report, you will notice that the "Game Requirement" lists a 2 in both of those columns, and that the "Comparison Result" showed that these failed to pass inspection. This is because the ATI Radeon 9200 video card only supports up to Pixel Shader Version 1.4, and Vertex Shader Version 1.1

Unfortunately, this means that your video card is unable to meet the updated requirements for the Classic or Enhanced Beta Client (minimum requirements listed below).

As of the Mondain's Legacy expansion, the minimum system requirements for the Classic Client are as follows.

Operating System:
Windows XP
Windows 98

CPU:400 MHz Intel Pentium II

RAM: 128 MB

CD/DVD-Rom Speed: 4x

Hard Drive Space: 1.5 GB free hard disk space plus space for saved character profiles, Windows swap-file, and DirectX 9.

Video: 8 MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible driver

Sound: DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card

Internet Connection: 56.6 Kbps or better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum System Requirements for the Enhanced Client (beta):

*Please note: This is beta software and the system requirements may change before final release.

Operating System:

Windows XP or
Windows Vista

CPU:

Intel® Pentium™ III 1000 MHz or
AMD® Athlon™ 1000 MHz

RAM: 512 MB or more

Video: 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3 class card or newer, ATI® Radeon™ 9700 or newer.

Exceptions:

The following cards are not supported:

Geforce™ FX Series
Geforce4™ MX Series
GeForce™ PCX 5900
GeForce™ 6200 Series
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000
ATI® Radeon™ X300 Series
ATI® Radeon™ X1300 LE HyperMemory-32

DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers

Sound: Card capable of supporting DirectX 9.0

Hard Drive: 4.0 GB available space

Internet Connection: 56k or better

The recommended specs:

Operating System:

Windows XP or
Windows Vista

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1800 MHz or
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1000MHz

RAM: 1024 MB or more

Video: 128 MB 3D graphics card

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 class card or above
ATI® Radeon™ x1500 or above

DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers

Sound: Card capable of supporting DirectX 9.0

Hard Drive: 8.0 GB available space

Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection or better "

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mine fails the same tests, and runs just fine.

A

Argantes

Same here, but they haven't used that as the reason with me.