• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to close.so

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A friend I have know for a few yrs now gets this message & can't log into UO in 2D. It has been approximately 3 weeks since he has been able to log into the game. Says he entered his SA code, went to log in on that Tuesday 22nd ??, got the patch that came out & that is when he 1st received the error msg below. Now he starts to get the patch screen clicks ok then it goes to load UO (new Garg Screen) & this is when he gets the message (see below) before it goes to log in area. He has reinstalled UO Fresh (From EA's Site) 4 times. Anyone have any clues. I thought it possibly was his Video card being the minimum spec side, but if he could play before I have doubts. My next thought was possibly a corrupt file in XP, but I'd hate to see him reinstall that like UO and still not work. I had him run Glary's Utility program after he uninstalled UO last evening to clean all the junk links out & still he gets this error. I'm stumped... Any suggestions or help he would seriously appreciate it. (going to try & get him to reg here so he can post) Ty all

** Added 7:45am
ps: could it be something related to the new Gargoyle screen, for this is always the lock up & when Msg (see below) comes ??? ***

These are his computer Specs (now remember before this he had NO problems at all playing 2D at all. Suprisingly)

microsoft windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3
amd duron processor 751 mhz
256mb of ram
nvidia vanta/vanta lt chip type vanta/vanta lt
dac type integrated ram dac
memory size 8mb adapter string
vanta/vanta lt bios information 2.05.20.02.10
Direct X 9c

Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to close.sorry for this inconvenience
source: application error category: none type: error event id:1001

U

UOKaiser

Re: Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to clos

A friend I have know for a few yrs now gets this message & can't log into UO in 2D. It has been approximately 3 weeks since he has been able to log into the game. Says he entered his SA code, went to log in on that Tuesday 22nd ??, got the patch that came out & that is when he 1st received the error msg below. Now he starts to get the patch screen clicks ok then it goes to load UO (new Garg Screen) & this is when he gets the message (see below) before it goes to log in area. He has reinstalled UO Fresh (From EA's Site) 4 times. Anyone have any clues. I thought it possibly was his Video card being the minimum spec side, but if he could play before I have doubts. My next thought was possibly a corrupt file in XP, but I'd hate to see him reinstall that like UO and still not work. I had him run Glary's Utility program after he uninstalled UO last evening to clean all the junk links out & still he gets this error. I'm stumped... Any suggestions or help he would seriously appreciate it. (going to try & get him to reg here so he can post) Ty all

** Added 7:45am
ps: could it be something related to the new Gargoyle screen, for this is always the lock up & when Msg (see below) comes ??? ***

These are his computer Specs (now remember before this he had NO problems at all playing 2D at all. Suprisingly)

256mb of ram
Direct X 9c

Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to close.sorry for this inconvenience
source: application error category: none type: error event id:1001
I encounter this before many times with UO. It usually track back down to a bad patching section. Try another latest link also start UO from client.exe skipping the patch section. But definetely make sure the video drivers are updated and direct x this is usually the case.
Check around those areas i've managed to fix these problems usually by reinstalling those parts also I remmeber fixing this problem by installing a older version of IE once go figure.

O

Old Man of UO

Re: Error Receiving: ultima online client has encountered a problem and needs to clos

256mb of ram
Direct X 9c
HOLY SMOKES... surprised he could run the old 2D with these specs. The video card is not compatible, and I don't think enough ram to run the game. But I haven't had a system similar to this since... 2000'ish.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I was suprised he said it ran too & he says it ran good.... Ya just never know

Uokaiser, I will have him try that, I'm sending this link to him. Ty guys any help he will appreciate.

Any more suggestions people, pls leave them here Again, Ty

U

UOKaiser

Oh yea one more thing have your friend get a upgrade!!

O

Old Man of UO

Hey... we could have a competition on the worst computer specs that still runs the new EC client... this has to be a candidate for that if he gets it working.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm no expert, but I went through a few hoops with my pc when KR was launched. What we discovered was, KR required the processor to be able to handle SSE instruction sets. No AMD processor prior to the Athlon XP range was able to do this.
In the end, working with many people in a loooong thread on the board, we discovered that my motherboard was not correctly reading my processor and flashing the bios fixed it. However many people who, in theory, matched the minimum 'Athlon 1000mhz' processor requirement were never able to run KR.

Is it likely that something as basic as the new patch screen could require this facility?

A

Argantes

Exactly the same problem as me, after clicking ok when patch screen is complete.. 'uo has encountered a problem and....'. Been dealing with EA support for 20 days now, told me they have no further trouble shooting steps to go throught with me and are browsing forums to find people with the same problem. I too have a very low spec machine, but 700+MB ram. Ive also updated my drivers, except maybe my sound one (site no longer exists).

So this makes me wonder.... What did they put in publish 60 that is causing this for me, as I have played the game for three years on the same machine with no previous problems.

U

UOKaiser

I'm no expert, but I went through a few hoops with my pc when KR was launched. What we discovered was, KR required the processor to be able to handle SSE instruction sets. No AMD processor prior to the Athlon XP range was able to do this.
In the end, working with many people in a loooong thread on the board, we discovered that my motherboard was not correctly reading my processor and flashing the bios fixed it. However many people who, in theory, matched the minimum 'Athlon 1000mhz' processor requirement were never able to run KR.

Is it likely that something as basic as the new patch screen could require this facility?
Hopefully not. Though we might find out if he can get it running without going through patch screen

U

UOKaiser

Exactly the same problem as me, after clicking ok when patch screen is complete.. 'uo has encountered a problem and....'. Been dealing with EA support for 20 days now, told me they have no further trouble shooting steps to go throught with me and are browsing forums to find people with the same problem. I too have a very low spec machine, but 700+MB ram. Ive also updated my drivers, except maybe my sound one (site no longer exists).

So this makes me wonder.... What did they put in publish 60 that is causing this for me, as I have played the game for three years on the same machine with no previous problems.
And this happen right after the patch? If so it would be narrowed down to that instance.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Been trying to think of what can be doing this. And after seeing Argantes post Bri said & it kind of floated by me. He was fine UP until he put in the SA Code. He had been playing fine. He said that once he got his code he went & entered it, then went back to play UO. Said he got thru the patch screen & this is where it goes to the Error. It's like he can not display the new Splash Screen.... could this be possible & if so, can we disable the new Screen ?

O

Old Man of UO

... could this be possible & if so, can we disable the new Screen ?
I am pretty sure disabling the new screen would be a violation of the TOS/ROC.

A

Argantes

yes basically i click ok the patch screen closes and no other screen makes it up.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am pretty sure disabling the new screen would be a violation of the TOS/ROC.
Not sure how it could be a violation, esp if this new opening screen is doing something to cause this locking out problem for many (for it is basically locking them out from playing the game). All they need to do just allow people to choose what opening screen, Aos, ML, 9th Etc they wish to display.

O

Old Man of UO

Not sure how it could be a violation, esp if this new opening screen is doing something to cause this locking out problem for many (for it is basically locking them out from playing the game). All they need to do just allow people to choose what opening screen, Aos, ML, 9th Etc they wish to display.
Are you talking about the patcher screen? Then all you need to do is open the UO.exe directly or with a shortcut, and that bypasses the patcher.

If you are talking about the opening screen of the client, any change to the client that you make is a violation, absolutely no question about that. Now, if EA/Mythic puts that in to allow us to chose not to load the opening screen, ya I would like that too. But EA/Mythic has to allow that and make that change (or allow UOA to make the change). WE aren't allowed to do that.

A

Argantes

What is in the new screen that my comp doesn't like then? In comparison to previous ones. before patching, I always loaded with the 9th anni screen.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Old, I asked about disabling a Screen / Picture only or to be able to pick what screen we can see, not to disable the patcher. Modifying the client has always been against TOS & I know that. I'm not trying to modify a client, just the splash screen intro. It seems like it's the picture itself (for he never gets to it) that's locking my friend up, just the New Gargoyle splash screen picture. It's the only thing that has changed, and he, like this other poster I am presuming, they are not getting/seeing the New screen. This IS where my friend gets the error message, When this Picture loads, which is the new splash screen for SA enabled accounts.....

Just received a msg from my friend, he had his computer wiped & reformatted & still not able to log in. And that was the last account he was on before he upgraded.

T

Treacy

I know this is probably going to sound silly, but here it goes. The splash screen that posts on opening is usually the last code entered (in your friends case SA). I haven't gotten the new expansion yet, Mondain's was the last one that I had, but I wanted to get the shadow deco stuff so I bought the 9th anniversary box, so that's the splash screen that I have now. I know that it would probably mean spending 20 bucks, but if he doesn't have that expansion, it might be a way to change the splash screen w/o violating the TOS. Or, if he can find 8th Age (some ea stores have it) he'll get a 20% storage increase too. Just a thought.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes you are correct, on splash screen, but last Acct used was that one. He has other accounts & all are ML/ or 9th can't remember, but I'm thinking 9th. But problem is he is hung, as last account he was on was the SA & when it tries to load up, it's trying to load the SA screen shot & it immediately blows the error up.
Old or UO, I haven't asked him what he uses, but could his browser in any way be effecting this if it's not updated to close to new versions? Just a shot

A

Argantes

As far as I'm aware the new splash screen came with the patch, it cannot know that my account is SA enabled yet because I haven't been able to log in since the patch.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What's this? An obscure problem?

This sounds like a job for... WULFMAN!

...Hmm, apparently Wulfman sounds dumb. WULF!

I'll find your intro trigger.

*ducks into a phone booth anyway, tears off his shirt, and loads up procmon*

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Apparently there's an intro.enu file with the following contents...
During the earliest span of the Age of Darkness, found in the writings of only the most aged of manuscripts lived a world born of mystic arts and ancient sorcery. SOSARIA. Despite Sosaria's enchanted origins, its people shunned magic. For its very use corrupted the souls of the unwary. But one man dared to awake the slumbering powers of alchemy, twisting the awesome power of the Gem of Immortality to his will and binding all of Sosaria to his corruption. Mondain the Wizard. His power was absolute, as the whole of the planet was gripped in his cruel embrace. Only the appearance of a stranger saved Sosaria from impending destruction. From whence he came no one knows, but his strength and courage were without peer. In this stranger lay Sosaria's only hope. Only a traveler from the stars could release this world from Mondain's vile stranglehold. He would prove himself a savior, shattering the Gem of Immortality and defeating Mondain. But, a deeper and more sinister evil was released with the destruction of the gem. For Sosaria was not free of the stone's power. The planet was still bound to the jewel's magic, even as it lay shattered upon the floor of Mondain's castle. For, within each shattered remnant of the jewel, dwelled a perfect likeness of Sosaria. Thus is the world in which you are born, live, and die. Brittania, that was once Sosaria, now exists as a thousand worlds, each with its own peoples, history and destiny. This Brittania is but one of many in the multiverse that is ULTIMA ONLINE
Not relevant, just thought it was neat.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Go into your UO folder and delete "entitled.def".

This should reset you to the Age of Shadows splash screen, for exactly one login/out.

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As far as I'm aware the new splash screen came with the patch, it cannot know that my account is SA enabled yet because I haven't been able to log in since the patch.

Same for me & I don't have the SAexpansion yet (for that same reason) -see my post here in tecnical forum on this subject.

Something goes wrong for some of us since SA patch.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also, I make no guarantees this will actually solve anything.

A

Argantes

Go into your UO folder and delete "entitled.def".

This should reset you to the Age of Shadows splash screen, for exactly one login/out.
Tried it, didn't work. checked after and that file returns. Appreciate suggestions & help tho.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you launch client.exe directly from the UO folder, does nothing happen?

A

Argantes

If you launch client.exe directly from the UO folder, does nothing happen?
Crashes almost immediately

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just to try something different, open up the uo.cfg file in your UO folder.

Change:
FullScreen=off

To:
FullScreen=on

See if it matters.

If that doesn't work, try renaming uo.cfg to uo.bak and launching again. If it doesn't help, change it back and let me know.

A

Argantes

Just to try something different, open up the uo.cfg file in your UO folder.

Change:
FullScreen=off

To:
FullScreen=on

See if it matters.
No joy.

If that doesn't work, try renaming uo.cfg to uo.bak and launching again. If it doesn't help, change it back and let me know.
Same, I guessed you meant the file called 'uo' that was of cfg file type.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Copy client.exe to another folder and run it.

Does it crash, or does it say it can't find the .mul files?

Delete the copy afterwards.

A

Argantes

This is what i got.

'This application has failed to start because igrping.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.'

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well, it would take too much effort to individually copy whatever it wants until it gets to the point where it cares about the MULs, and I guess that wouldn't really solve anything anyway.

Have you tried re-installing the client from http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/uo/setup-1.46.0.3.exe ?

A

Argantes

Yes, I've reinstalled 2 or 3 times.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Try going into display properties, settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting, and sliding the bar to the left. Set it to, say, the second setting from the left, apply, then try launch the client. Set it back if it doesn't work.

A

Argantes

Gave me a black screen after 'apply', had to shutdown, the new settin still showed, so tried the client but still no joy.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Make sure the acceleration tab is set back to where it was.

Download Process Monitor ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx ) and run it. Set the filter to include client.exe as the Process Name.

Under the File menu, make sure Capture Events is checked. Minimize Process Monitor, launch UO and let it crash. Then go back to Process Monitor, File, uncheck Capture Events. Then File, Save, and use the following settings:

Email the resulting PML file to me at: dontwantone7 at hotmail.com and PM me to let me know when you've sent it.

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Should it be all that complicated to run a simple game?...(just a thought)

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Of course it should. If anything, we should go back to the days of HIMEM.SYS, and special CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BATs for each game.

Anyway, Argantes:

Yours:

Mine:

Yours seems to crash after it finishes reading the art.def file. I've sent you mine via email in case the patch corrupted it somehow. It's entirely possible that it's something else crashing it at that point that's unrelated to the art.def file, but it's a place to start.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I just tested, and you should be able to just rename the art.def tile to art.bak without using the file i sent, to see if it gets past that point without crashing.

It gets to the login screen without that file.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Looks like there's a new patch now.

Might wanna run the patcher and see if it helps.

A

Argantes

Looks like there's a new patch now.

Might wanna run the patcher and see if it helps.
Hat off to you, helping others without incentive/reward. didn't work tho, but i wanna ensure your aware of my knowledge when u say 'rename' a folder. Only way i know is right clicking the folder and selecting rename.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That's correct.

For my above instructions, right click the art.def file and hit rename. Type in something else, then hit enter. Run client.exe, and if it doesn't help, right click the file again, rename, and put it back to art.def.

Did you mean the patch didn't work, or you've already done the renaming and it didn't work?

A

Argantes

We are paying for it RoseBlue, I hope you are informing EA support of your problem also, only so you 'might' get credited for time lost.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you've got MSN, add me with the email address I gave you above, or ICQ - 5285549.

I've done about all the troubleshooting I can do through a forum.

I'm heading out for an hour or two, but should have some time to work on it later on tonight.

A

Argantes

On the point of all my problems....I play 2d. the latest patch notice shows....

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Classic Client Version [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]4.0.1.1 [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Enhanced Client Version 7.0.1.1 [/FONT]

so why in the classic client am i patchin 7. somthing files!?

A

Argantes

If you've got MSN, add me with the email address I gave you above, or ICQ - 5285549.

I've done about all the troubleshooting I can do through a forum.

I'm heading out for an hour or two, but should have some time to work on it later on tonight.
i appreciate all the help you've given... really. I don't use an IM atm, my icq got taken over by one of those 'Hey can i get on your mage' scum bags a couple of months ago and since I haven't use one. You have provided alot of new things to try so I'll say 'Thanks Wulf' for now!

I appreciate this stuff takes time. ;)

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wulf, I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the help you have provided in this forum. You are truly an asset to the Stratics tech community.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

thanks for all the help you have provided in this forum. You are truly an asset to the Stratics tech community.
Well, it's nice to be appreciated, but I don't think I'm much of an asset till something's actually solved =]
I appreciate this stuff takes time
Ah, what the heck then, I'll keep firing off random suggestions/requests as they come to me then.

Go to start, run, and type in cmd. Hit ok to open a command prompt, and type in:
tasklist > c:\tasks.txt

Then open c:\tasks.txt and copy/paste the contents to this thread. Who knows, maybe there's something weird running that'll jump out at somebody as a source of problems.

Then go to your UO folder, and go into the support folder. Run EasyInfo.exe, File, Export to Desktop. Email me the HTM file it places on your desktop.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

so why in the classic client am i patchin 7. somthing files!?
Mine had the same patch, it's normal.