• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enhanced Client Review January 2016

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off, I want to say I don't at all put down the efforts of Pinco and his work on the Enhanced Client interface. Maybe some things can be better. But what he has added to the Enhanced Client makes it a million times better than what was there before. A lot of this should have been there from the start and without it the Enhanced Client would probably be a lot less used than it is today.

As I said a few days ago, I would take the Enhanced Client for a test run at the next Atlantic Shard event. To say it went poorly would be like saying Age of Shadows was a smooth expansion launch. It was just downright bad. I could barely attack anything, the sound was atrocious, I literally got sick from the screen shaking effects, and more.

An important disclaimer: I have spent literally 15 minutes setting up macros and don't know how to use it very well. I am basically a newbie when it comes to the Enhanced Client. So maybe there were settings I could have used better. But that is no excuse for what I experienced.

Special note: after each heading is a timestamp that will link you directly to the video showing what I am talking about. The video is 50 minutes long and I understand if you don't want to watch the whole thing =]

• Attackables - 17:27 - I don't understand how this all works. I had the attackables menu open and it never populated. Perhaps it was just overloaded from being an Atlantic event. You can watch me do all sorts of things to try and get it working.
  • Sound - 17:08 - It appears the client plays every sound at once. The Classic Client probably limits the amount of concurrent sounds and discards the rest. The Enhanced Client obviously needs a limiter because it all combines into unintelligible noise. The footsteps leaving Castle Blackthorn was terrible (14:22).
  • Backpack Issues - 1:41 - Two things I remember. First, there is a huge space under the backpack blocking access to other menus. Second, at one point I am clearly clicking on my Ethereal Horse but it keeps opening the Runebook underneath. Also, the backpack never stayed where I put it after I died.
  • Earthquake Effect - 41:48 (warning: this can make you ill watching it) - This is literally a disgrace of the Enhanced Client. It should be removed at once. Not put in an option to disable it, just outright remove it. This makes people sick. I can't remember the last time I got nauseous using a computer. Not only did it affect me during the game, I also felt ill watching it when doing the video editing! I posted a topic about this five frickin years ago and there isn't even an option to disable it yet. I think the last thing a developer wants to hear is their game made someone physically ill.
  • Overhead Text - 33:13 - There are several issues here. A lot of times people had 2 or 3 lines of the exact same spell over their heads. I think the issue could be there is no option that shows text time based on the length of the words. So "In Mani" will be on screen as long as "Hail sir, how is the weather today? I hope you can read fast because this will disappear in 5 seconds!" Plus the old style text (which I prefer) was unreadable when I turned it on (3:26).
  • Spell Effects - 18:35- They are just plain too flashy in a lot of cases. In a situation with this many players it is like being at a Pink Floyd concert. I see that they changed the field effects back from 3d particles to 2d sprites. But they still left a subtle particle effect such as "glow" which I believe can block targeting. This is not the case with the Classic Client.

There is probably many other things I am missing. Overall, I had a really poor experience with the Enhanced Client. It likely was made a lot worse going to an event with so many players. But you can't say "well, you should really use the Classic Client when it gets over x number of players".

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You are 100% correct on many of your beefs and issues. But I highly doubt they will fix any of them. I've tried for ages to get them to fix them but it falls on deaf ears or they tell me that I'm not using it right or I'm told not to use Pinco's....

As for the shake effect of Earthquake it has been a problem since day one and they must think it's cute or something or my guess is they leave it in just to make us sick... I have no idea... Obviously they think it's worth more in than out. Maybe they think it levels the playing field if all the EC users are busy trying not to puke then the CC users can catch up... I have no idea.

As for speech staying on the screen I actually quit reading anything on the screen and read only from my journal where at things like EM events and such unless I'm in Fel and need to worry about spells I turn them off... you can do that.

Also since the footsteps are no where close to the gait your character moves it honestly is stupid so I haven't had that turned on in YEARS. I think it has some bad effect with some folk as well with the motion sickness issue some have so I always recommend turning it off.

Mobiles bar updating has been an issue in the EC for a LONG time... you can only have a set number on the screen at a time and at and EM event it's best to turn off blue bars, yellow bars, and all animals.... all you really need are Red and Green.... Now I limit the number of Yellow to 5 ...... Turn off blue bars I can pull those individually for friends and anyone that's important to me is usually green so those bars stay up.... I don't party anyone so no hassles there but turning off all the clutter of other bars "would" allow the red bars to populate. Now I think that Bleak fixed it because I explained to him and Kyronix that the EC counts the bars it's NOT displaying as well as the ones you want to display in the number of bars you have up... so even if you turned off the blue bars it's still counting all those blues in your bars and won't display any new mobs popping up because you are already maxed out even if you aren't. We tested this repeatedly and I sent screenies to Kyronix...

I'm going to try doing a video of some of the EM events to show them exactly what I'm talking about when I tell him that it's BORKED and needs fixed.

I see you didn't complain about looting? Did you try looting a boss mob or two?

And finally I agree whole heartedly about the too flashy stuff... Try as I might to tell the EM's 100's of times that the use of the fire balls the big blast that does rings of fire going out in a big circle... that boss mobs like Corgul use KILL the EC and cause it to crash... but they don't listen... and no one cares. Last 2 bosses have had this effect and earlier this month they had 2 of them in an enclosed small area doing that effect which crashed everyone in our vent repeatedly... It's NOT acceptable... They need to reduce the effect of this thing..... while yes it looks cool it is NOT cool on the game performance... and causes players to be ejected from the game... It's bad enough at an event to have 50 people 20 dragons and another 10 to 15 summons... we do NOT need to have all the flashy graphics too.