End of an Era - 10+ years and we are done.

• Thread starter Drau Blud - LS
  • Start date
  • Watchers 5
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
D

Drau Blud - LS

Greetings all

It has come time for me to write my farewells, as so many have done before me.
After 10+ years, that is quite a thing to say.

Many of you reading this will have no idea what this game used to be.
I know it is fashionable for some to say, forget the past, and that this game has "evolved" over the years, and that it is not good to hang on to " how it used to be".

You simply could not be more wrong. Because "how it used to be" was a truly incredible gaming exprience.

In my humble opinion, it was P16 that killed this mighty thing, and turned it into the land of care bears, and house builders/sitters. Pathetic.

My most vivid memory will always remain....

I was outside the west gate of Brit, and I was just fooling around, and I saw a guy get PK'd by a red.

This guy started crying about how unfair the game was, and how all he wanted to do was "chop some wood" and be "left alone", so he could raise his stats.

The PK'er had rezed him up already, and was trying to have a chat with this fellow, a was the way of most reds in those days....but the wood chopper was having none of it.
He continued to rail, and shake his fists at the absolute "unfairness" of it all ( standing there fully rezzed and healed, I might add) and decry the terrible people that would let such a thing happen to him in a game HE WAS PAYING FOR!!!!

As God is my witness, I knew right then and there this game was DEAD. I will never forget the absolute certainty that swept over me at that moment....I saw the future....

These people are going to cry, and kick, and scream.....and they will be appeased.

I remember thinking clearly......these people HAVE NO BUSINESS playing a game of this sort.
What the hell did they expect?

I will tell you.

They expected to have it always go their way. They expected that it will be easy, and no one will ever interfere with their little adventures. They expected a stroking of epic proprtions, because that what they were always used to.

Children in a grown-ups game.
Now we have adult children, and Ultima Online, has become the Sims with swords.

Well......I sort of unloaded on the guy. I tried to explain to him that it was, in fact, HIM that was going to destroy this game, by crying and crying and crying, until they "do something about it".

A small group of people had gathered, and a couple were even shouting "yeah! you tell him!"

He seemed a bit limp after his temper tantrum, as most children are, and so I am not sure he really heard or understood me....but there were many there that did.

I walked away from that knowing 2 things for sure.

This was the greatest game ever created.......and it was going to be destroyed.

Well, I played on for many years after that, and I was witness to many travesties, not to mention that HORRENDOUS Todd Mcmoron thing, and a total re-write of the CORE game mechanics, and item properties, and Elves, and ....yeah.

My vision of the future had come true... TIMES TEN!!!

The version you all now enjoy, is quite literrally, a completely different game.

It was then that I realised, I was the frog on the hotplate.

I want to thank all the wonderful people I met here over the years.

Legolas......you are still missed. May your spirirt roam Britannia as long a you desire.

To the looters...... I let my 2 houses fall 3 months ago, with no warning.
I hope some of you were lucky enough to be there, because I tell you I did not remove ONE SINGLE item from ten+ years of playing.

There was a CRAZY amount of really amazing stuff (including 5 full suits of double blessed leather armor, scores of arties and marties.) I gotta believe this was one of the richest falls ever for LS.

If not...then the server gods ate like KINGS that day. LOL

To the PVP'ers .....keep up the good fight.
I was there in the old days, with St. Death, Cookie Monster, Legols, RAEL ( the most insane pirate ever known! They wrote a patch just because of HIM) ) , and the others, whose names escape my old brain. We were gods that ruled the earth, for a short time.

FARE WELL.......AND WELL MET!

There is so much more. Too much more. It will be lost along with all the rest.

It may be, by chance, that one day long from now, you will see an old warrior, named Drau Blud, mulling around the West Brittian Bank. He has no home, or possesions, save what is on his back.

If so.....please speak kindly to him. He is old, and has had his spirit broken by the ways of the new world.

He only looks back now, to the days of great glory.

That is all.

Drau

Dragkiris

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 14, 2008
Ironicly I was there on your rant. I had played UO for all of maybe 5 days (thinki was like 12 years old at that time). Everything you said was sooo sooo true.

B

Bodhi

Yea old days used to be better, no trammel, danger behind every corner, thats what got us so many uo players in first place. No danger, no risk, no fun, no players...

L

linko50

So you just sat there and watched a pk kill this guy woodcutting? Then on top of it uloaded 10 years of your frustration on this newer player?

You Sir are an epic loser. Why did you not help him out, call some friends and repel the pk?

Then maybe explain to the newer player the risks of fel?

You could have made a good ally or friend and all at the same time taught some responsible gaming, and had fun doing it.

Good riddance!
apparently the whole thread here is lost apon you. Perhaps you were the woodcutter in this scene, take your game, and have it, it may as well be tetris now.

P

pavel.vesely

P16 brougth up powerscrolls not Trammel, that was brougth up by UO Reneisance. We were SAVED by good Lord British from these idiot PKs several years earlier.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 11, 2008
responsible gaming? what the hell?
Your responsible for many things playing a online game.

knowing the tos, is just one of many.

A game like uo can only create a finite amount of fun for you, your responsible for the rest.

When someone see's you(a vet) doing(place activity here)and the new player comes to believe that's the norm then you just help set a standard(your responsible).

Monkey see monkey do.

The OP in my opinion is just as responsible for the for degradation of the players base as anything the dev have done over the years.

C

Connor_Graham

Yea old days used to be better, no trammel, danger behind every corner, thats what got us so many uo players in first place. No danger, no risk, no fun, no players...
Trammel is what kept the game going.

I laugh at at the extremely small minority that claims differently every time they try and shove it down everyone's throat.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 31, 2005
parts unknown
Know this OP, come tomorrow, your post will be forgotten. You sound bitter as you depart, that's your perogative. UO is what you make of it.....if it changes and you're not happy, why stay? You stayed for 10 years....you put up with it, instead of leaving at pub 16.....again your perogative, some like selfsuffering.....

As far as UO being dead, an opinion, nothing more....if UO were dead, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to log on now would I?

Have a good life and remember, dude, it's a computer game.....

L

linko50

Know this OP, come tomorrow, your post will be forgotten. You sound bitter as you depart, that's your perogative. UO is what you make of it.....if it changes and you're not happy, why stay? You stayed for 10 years....you put up with it, instead of leaving at pub 16.....again your perogative, some like selfsuffering.....

As far as UO being dead, an opinion, nothing more....if UO were dead, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to log on now would I?

Have a good life and remember, dude, it's a computer game.....
the term "dead" used by him doesnt mean that the game is no longer around, or atleast its namesake.... dead means that it is not what it started as, a game so loved by him and many others "yes many, conner" he is stating it is not the same game. and where better or worse now is an opinion, he stated the reason for change, which is the true reason, and this game is undeniably not the same game.

and as for this game being a dead game in another sence, though there may be tons of houses, where are all the players? damned sure not on baja, atlantic, pacific, napa, or any of the others that i checked out before i left a little while back. while dead may not be a proper term, we can say fading population, because until you can show a steady graph from a reliable source to say otherwise we all have hopeful opinions.

Z

Ziane

Sounds to me like your departure is long overdue. Maybe you should have just moved on to a game you enjoyed back in '02, if you really think the game was ruined at that point. rolleyes:

Zi

S

Sunrise

Later.

Game is not dead until the Devs say its dead :D

Besides just another person who wants to start the whole trammy and Felly fight...

Again I say. later.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
I remember my first love in High School.

None could ever quite bring me that first feeling of love.

So I will never love again like that, and I will always look fondly on that memory, but I know that it is lost forever, so why even try to get it back. I go now to become a Monk, since all is lost...I quit...I give up...I want things to stay as they always were, and not change, with me and the times.

That is all.

:sleep2:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
I'm with the OP.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DURNED LAZY WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 3, 2004
Top of the Mountain
www.angelfire.com
Greetings all

I know it is fashionable for some to say, forget the past, and that this game has "evolved" over the years, and that it is not good to hang on to " how it used to be".

You simply could not be more wrong. Because "how it used to be" was a truly incredible gaming exprience.

In my humble opinion, it was P16 that killed this mighty thing, and turned it into the land of care bears, and house builders/sitters. Pathetic.

I was outside the west gate of Brit, and I was just fooling around, and I saw a guy get PK'd by a red.

This guy started crying about how unfair the game was, and how all he wanted to do was "chop some wood" and be "left alone", so he could raise his stats.

The PK'er had rezed him up already, and was trying to have a chat with this fellow, a was the way of most reds in those days....but the wood chopper was having none of it.
He continued to rail, and shake his fists at the absolute "unfairness" of it all ( standing there fully rezzed and healed, I might add) and decry the terrible people that would let such a thing happen to him in a game HE WAS PAYING FOR!!!!

As God is my witness, I knew right then and there this game was DEAD. I will never forget the absolute certainty that swept over me at that moment....I saw the future....

These people are going to cry, and kick, and scream.....and they will be appeased.

I remember thinking clearly......these people HAVE NO BUSINESS playing a game of this sort.

I will tell you.

They expected to have it always go their way. They expected that it will be easy, and no one will ever interfere with their little adventures. They expected a stroking of epic proprtions, because that what they were always used to.

Well......I sort of unloaded on the guy. I tried to explain to him that it was, in fact, HIM that was going to destroy this game, by crying and crying and crying, until they "do something about it".

A small group of people had gathered, and a couple were even shouting "yeah! you tell him!"

He seemed a bit limp after his temper tantrum, as most children are, and so I am not sure he really heard or understood me....but there were many there that did.

Well, I played on for many years after that, and I was witness to many travesties, not to mention that HORRENDOUS Todd Mcmoron thing, and a total re-write of the CORE game mechanics, and item properties, and Elves, and ....yeah.

The version you all now enjoy, is quite literrally, a completely different game.

Legolas......you are still missed. May your spirirt roam Britannia as long a you desire.

I hope some of you were lucky enough to be there, because I tell you I did not remove ONE SINGLE item from ten+ years of playing.

There was a CRAZY amount of really amazing stuff (including 5 full suits of double blessed leather armor, scores of arties and marties.) I gotta believe this was one of the richest falls ever for LS.

I was there in the old days, with St. Death, Cookie Monster, Legols, RAEL ( the most insane pirate ever known! They wrote a patch just because of HIM) ) , and the others, whose names escape my old brain. We were gods that ruled the earth, for a short time.

It may be, by chance, that one day long from now, you will see an old warrior, named Drau Blud, mulling around the West Brittian Bank. He has no home, or possesions, save what is on his back.

If so.....please speak kindly to him. He is old, and has had his spirit broken by the ways of the new world.

That is all.

Drau

Speaking from my 11+ years in Ultima Online... you will be missed. Our ranks have been chipped away at with every step forward in a direction opposite of our love.

Before you go... you really should stop through Siege and check it out. For us vets, it's the last vestige of hope before closing our coffin.

So many have refused to try it out because of the depression that seeps in from leaving the home they invested so much time and effort into... just to recapture a bit of what's been lost... but those who have-have found it what they've missed.

viva la felucca!

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 9, 2002
Las Vegas
Later.

Game is not dead until the Devs say its dead :D

Besides just another person who wants to start the whole trammy and Felly fight...

Again I say. later.
I dont think this post is really about tram/fel. More about how people crying about things, it could be pk's, vamp form, tamers, powerscrolls, or any number of other things.

When you add up all the changes that take place because of it the game changes. Most of the time it's not for the better.

I would still prefer UO preAoS then the one we have today.

To the OP, goodluck with whatever comes your way.

Tom

Firedutch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 25, 2008
Thats funny.....cuz that saying bye post sounds like an echo of that other peep ranting and raving about being PK'd......lol.

I have been around from the beginning of UO and to be honest Tram is what saved the game in my opinion. There is much more to the game than reds and PK's. Contrary to your comment that would lead to believe most reds were honorable, there were alot that weren't lol. I was there. Alot of childish kids runnin around on horses in groups ganking is what I saw alot of. Was a great game in the eyes of peeps that wanted PVP and PK ganking and complete survival of the fitest. That is only a small fraction of what UO has to offer.

I say that yes, bad decisions in publishes have occured, the economy is shot (no different that what RL is offering us today lol......just no scripters in RL that you can label responsible for trashing the market like in UO). But over all come on....UO is the longest lasting online game around and there is a reason for that. WOW is good for a short while til you get bored of quests and redundency (taking about 3-4 weeks), but alot of peeps come back to UO. It remains, despite flaws and problems, to be an "open ended" game allowing peeps to pursue their own interests....including pvp in Fel if they prefer that.

Farewell fellow old timer. Hope that you continue to find fun in the world and never grow up as the kid in us keeps fires burning and keeps life enjoyable (and tolerable).

C

Clair

I started playing in '99 and loved the fact that there was REAL danger in UO. I knew it wouldn't last because for every person who would kill there lesser and res them with out a real loss there were 20 gank squads roaming everywhere that newer players could be found, killing and looting everything they owned. Then the PKs would laugh there asses off and taunt the ghost, never resing unless they wanted to res kill the poor newbie. I countered this by joining a good guild. I knew that wide open PVP wouldn't last, but I find the reason legit. UO was becomming a place for people to be the evil bastards they really wanted to in real life but coulden't because of the rule of law. For many PKs, the game was about tormenting another human being with their power. The REAL danger had to go because PKs were taking advantage of it. Getting a sick thrill out of dominating someone else has a name. It starts with an R and ends with an E.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
The game was way better when Buccaneer's Den was full of scoundrels and murderers or you when you "got held up" at Britain Crossroads.

I understand the need for people to have a safe haven perhaps they should have extended guard zones and made certain dungeon curtail to the trammel ruleset whereby players could hunt in certain dungeons and not worry about getting PK'd.

The UO Devs had no idea how to handle social behavior early on.

And from my opinion PvP has been completely ruined compared to what is was early on in UO with when there was Precasting. This was the Golden Era no question.

It was not uncommon to come upon a large group in a dungeon or somewhere in the land where they're were groups of people were watching 1 on 1 duels waiting to take their turn because it was just that fun and their was so much skill involved.

I agree with the OP that things are not as they once were. Doesn't mean I need to quit and move onto another game or that I still don't love the game but when the changes aren't better one has every right to say just that.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 3, 2004
Top of the Mountain
www.angelfire.com
I started playing in '99 and loved the fact that there was REAL danger in UO. I knew it wouldn't last because for every person who would kill there lesser and res them with out a real loss there were 20 gank squads roaming everywhere that newer players could be found, killing and looting everything they owned. Then the PKs would laugh there asses off and taunt the ghost, never resing unless they wanted to res kill the poor newbie. I countered this by joining a good guild. I knew that wide open PVP wouldn't last, but I find the reason legit. UO was becomming a place for people to be the evil bastards they really wanted to in real life but coulden't because of the rule of law. For many PKs, the game was about tormenting another human being with their power. The REAL danger had to go because PKs were taking advantage of it. Getting a sick thrill out of dominating someone else has a name. It starts with an R and ends with an E.
I joined a good guild too... I'm a noto PK and have been since day 1. I kill reds, greys and oranges... that's the end game in UO for me.

statloss made it impossible to have "rampant" pking...

there were better solutions to the problem than making every shard have a safe zone free of risk.

5% Luck

Im realy not much of a pvp er I do however make my living in Fel. Save for a few tiem dropms that dont occur in Fel I live and play in fel. I never left. It was never empty and it is and always was compltly usable and soloable.

the Pks never Owned so much of it as to make being there impossible. That is a myth.

As to trammel saving UO I mean wow, It took you what 8-9 years to be able to get away with saying that. If you had posted that at the time you would have been flamed off the boards into disgrace. To me, To say that Is sacrilege! I say this to you my half hearted brother fear not is is only a game!

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 13, 2005
Thank the UO gods we got trammel. Before that do you remember. No checks, no rune books. Your house and stuff in it where never really safe. You had to work for months to gain one skill point. Picking up regs was sometimes the only way to get em.

You couldnt go to the banks and not worry about someone stealing from you. You walked out of town and tons of reds attacked you. If you where red and died you lost skill points. You had to log in and refresh your house often.

The shards crashed, and crashed and then reset your game play back hours, you would have a grey screen and no insurance means you lost it all. It used to take an hour or more for shard downtime everyday. We couldnt make houses. We only had a few houses to pick from. We had no deco tool. Black cloth was hard to come by. We couldnt grow plants.

Im going to stop saying all the things I dont miss about the good ole days of uo, because I could go on and on. I only broke it up to make it easier to read.
enjoy

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
First off let me say this, Have fun what ever or where ever you go or do from here.

Secondly about your opinions I have mixed emotions.

I came to UO during the last 6-8 months of T2A, I remember how it was then with PvP scene. I've personally never been a PvPer in the sense most people adopt, nor do I personally care for that type of play style. I can say with some certain belief that Trammel was the best thing that happen to UO at the time. Other games were entering the market, games that have PvP free environments, better graphics, and larger areas to explore. Were they better games?

I say no while others may disagree, yet they were quickly gaining on and overtaking UO in subscriptions and one of the chief reasons was they had learned from the faults in UO, and adapted their game to remove many of them. UO set itself up big, with housing yet it couldn't keep up with the demand with just Felucca. Trammel was an answer to 2 major flaws in the original design. 1. Not everyone wants to PvP or risk PvP all the time. 2. Not everyone could hope to have a house or have access to one in game. Where I think this largely failed...the Moongate system we have now. Sure let it go between Similar Ruleset Facets, I have no issue with this but Trammel to Felucca Travel should have remained tied to Moonstones. This would have encouraged those who like PvP more than PvM to stay in Felucca instead of having a home in Tram and hopping over via the gate when they want to PvP.

I disagree with all the Item Based play though it's horrible to balance and caters to the "Haves" in UO not the new or casual player. On the same note I'm appalled by the proposed Faction Items and think they are a total Crock because once again they will cater to the "Haves" that are already dominate and established in the PvP scene and have acquired what is currently the top end items available. Joe Smoe with a 200 mil Suit and one of the extremely Rare uber Weapons, not a good PvP weap but a honest to goodness UBER weapon is going to farm people who are in factions to try and get the new items in order to be competitive in PvM, it's baiting at the worst.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 24, 2003

I laugh at at the extremely small minority that claims differently every time they try and shove it down everyone's throat.
Bingo! Trammel brought about a huge spike in UO's playerbase, one that hasn't been seen since. It annoys the heck out of me when people try to rewrite history to Trammelbash. Bash Tram on its own demerits, but don't try to pretend it ruined the game. It saved it.

To the original poster - reconsider your words as if you'd written them to yourself:

He continued to rail, and shake his fists at the absolute "unfairness" of it all ( standing there fully rezzed and healed, I might add) and decry the terrible people that would let such a thing happen to him in a game HE WAS PAYING FOR!!!! . . . These people are going to cry, and kick, and scream.....and they will be appeased. I remember thinking clearly......these people HAVE NO BUSINESS playing a game of this sort. What the hell did they expect? I will tell you. They expected to have it always go their way. They expected that it will be easy, and no one will ever interfere with their little adventures. They expected a stroking of epic proprtions, because that what they were always used to.
I don't think UO is a perfect game, far from it. But frankly you sound as QQ as the lumberjacker you're ranting about, because he wasn't playing the game your way.

F

Fox (Europa)

OK, I hear what you are saying but I gotta say that the best thing you could have done in your life is to get out of UO - you got WAY too involved with a game.

Whatever you do with your spare time from now on for god's sake don't pick up another online game. Buy a motorbike, take up hiking, travel - but stay away from online games or you will waste another 10 years.

Fox

T

tiggertessa2007

i started playing uo about a month after its release. it was a totaly different game back then, i payed for protection to a guild of pk's known as the care bears *they killed with hugs and kisses* deadly bunch of rainbow freaks they were. i lived in a community of theives, all were great people i had a trunk in my house that they would all drop me some regs or pots in. i watched Fungus Amongus rob a Gm blind at brit gate before they realized they needed to make GMs involun. and Drunk Monk would beat the armor off any red who crossed his path with that vanq q staff he carried (and never lost as far as i know) when tram 1st came out it was a big change but it wasnt to horrible except when u got lost in the moongate lol , those of us who liked excitement and danger stuck around fel, we sat up shops around brit gate and gm armor was the bomb. i truly miss those days, i miss when i played this game for the game not just to make a buck. i am leaving to in Nov. for WOW. i like it , it is balanced in a way that uo lost years ago. altho it will never take the spot in my heart that uo has. the bonds u make with people on this game are so crazy,,some uve never even seen before in ur life but u would get into a rl fist fight over a good uo buddy any day of the week. i have great memories from this game, i was dating my now husband when i started playing, this game brought us closer together as our relationship was just starting to blossom. i can remember late nights in our first dinky little place we lived in together , falling asleep to the sound of artic ogre lords being peaced. i do understand where the original poster and so many others are comming from,, this game has been a big part of my life also, but sometimes u need to close a chapter to read another. i miss the old days, pre artie *****s, and powerscrolls,,pre all 70's suits and ninjas.

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 19, 2008
Charleston, South Carolina
It should be clear by now that Trammel ruleset has kept the game going, for crying out loud look at WoW, Warhammer, pretty much all the rest. There are millions of people playing those games, their pvp could not be more carebear.

The old UO will never come back, even if they did start up a old school ruleset, people have moved on. It still wont be the same.

E

Eslake

This is the part I find particularly funny...

What did they expect? Oh I don't know, maybe since it was named ULTIMA online, they expected something to do with Ultima.

Which, in case you didn't know, was built on the concept of being virtuous, not running around murdering.

The people who have no business playing a game of this sort are those who want a PvP-Oriented game, which UO is not, will never be, and never WAS.

I also kind of laugh on this one.. ;)
I guess you have missed the fact that it has been shown Repeatedly all across the board that PvP attracts the youngest players while PvM is generally the choice of older gamers.

Maybe you just worded it backward on accident. :p

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 20, 2007
deanfortomaris.spaces.live.com
Trammel never really saved the game. It changed the game. Sure it grew after that but only because it catered to a more mainstream and accessible audience.

Warcraft offers the same gameplay we saw back in 2000 with games like Everquest or heck anything with text based graphics. Yet it's popular than these previous games?

Numbers don't really say much.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Bye.

I'm really getting very tired of countering these fantastical, romantic, untrue visions of the game pre-Trammel...All I can really hope is that someone else takes up the banner, or maybe I get un-tired soon, because on the Internet people tend, sadly, to assume that the unchallenged post is accurate.

-Galen's player

PS: Also, just wanted to say, damn....If I had posted something so pathetically insulting about you Fellies as you just did about Trammel players, my post would have been moved to Spiels and Rants before the metaphorical ink was dry!!! *chuckles*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Apr 12, 2001
Denmark
10 years all on normal shards? Why did you not move to Siege long ago?

Siege is what you are looking for. Sure you may see someone cry when he die but he will learn fast. Crying only get him rez killed and looted on Siege.

Siege is non con PvP but it's not all about PVP, we have alot players who never PvP but survive fine, just like in old days.

Give Siege a chance before you leave.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 3, 2004
10 years all on normal shards? Why did you not move to Siege long ago?
This statement along says everything. You do not know wtf he's talking about. Classic UO is NOTHING like Siege. Only thing siege kept is no insurance.

I miss when I can stalk someone and find out his house location and then kill him and get the key to his house and have my friends swarm in and loot his house empty. I love how real UO used to be you can truly to anything you want. Murders are proud PvPers because if you mess up once it destory their character (and hundreds of hours training time). It used to take a huge amount of gold and time to train up magery with no MR/LMC/-mage weapon. All old school mages know the term "reg run" because we are consistantly using regents when casting. I like how all I need is a set of GM chainmail and a closed helm and a GM spear to stand my ground in PvP. I like how my mage used to be able to fight in fancy shirt and shorts. I miss when me and my friend killed shard's top wanted PK and we chopped his head off and gave it to a townguard for 82k gold (it was amazingly large amount of gold back in 99). I miss when playing a mage isall about pure timing and spell selection and not magic arrow/weaken spam. I loved the thrill when I met a PK for the very first time in decite when I was fighting skeleton knight for gold and to improve my skills.

There are WAYYYYYY too much to say about old UO. It was true advanture with real thrill if you do... lose. Real life people controlled criminals wants you dead so they can take your golden armor and your exceedingly accurate kryss of vanquishing and your gold.

SP is nothing like classic UO, I am sorry. It's.... just.... not.

5% Luck

If it wasnt for rot and item durablility(since added to normal shards) I would be on siege. That and the SCS thing. But where Im headed Ill have al those things and more!

I started a siege bard and practiced my music untill my newbi instrument broke and since i just played music i had no gold to replace it. LOL tht was the end of siege for me! I probly shoulda stuck it out!

B

Bodhi

Wasnt implying Trammel was the death of UO, i like trammel, lately all i do is based in Trammel. But the point i was making is that there isnt really any player-based danger around anymore. I know if i avoid Yew Felucca and maybe the dungeons, the chances of me running into a pk are very very low.
When i first started playing, the risk of leaving the guardzones and venturing into the wild always got my heart thumping, and when u do eventually run into danger it just doubles the fun when u make it out alive. Maybe for me personally Felucca only with insurance might have been better, but i understand not everyone would agree with this. All i'd want, is to have a little more suspension in the game based on players, not npc's...

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Apr 12, 2001
Denmark
This statement along says everything. You do not know wtf he's talking about. Classic UO is NOTHING like Siege. Only thing siege kept is no insurance.
Sure Siege is not like UO year 1997. but it's alot more than no item insurance.
It have PvP ruleset on all facets, it have very few blessed items.
With no recall, you have a better chance to find a players house. Sure you can't get the key and loot it but you can camp it and kill him. He can't hide out in Trammel.
Also thieves are doing well on Siege.
Alot is different on Siege, it's sure worth a try

Trust me I know what he speak about, I miss old UO too but it's gone. Siege is the closest you get to it.

Now some do not like Siege, special griefers may get it hard on Siege as every dead may mean they get dry looted.

RoT is not that bad now, it had been speeded up alot. When Siege was young, there was 20/40/60 min between gains, now I it's min 5 mins and max 15 mins between gains. Also at 70 you can gain 5.0 a day now

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
And as an added bonus, you might run into Freja in-game! :D

K

kennykilleduo

Sadly many more will follow , I have found one thing out in last few months , the only thing that will save UO is if the many dedicated dev team members who worked on WAR , joined with our great team , and put some time , money and passion into the game UO will be everything we dreamed of and more..

S

Sip-n-Shine

*Tips Hat* You said it well you will be missed. Safe Travels.

W

Wakiza

To the OP, awesome farewell speech. I couldnt have said it better.

U

Ursa Minima

I miss when I can stalk someone and find out his house location and then kill him and get the key to his house and have my friends swarm in and loot his house empty.
See, this is exactly the sort of thing that I don't miss about the old UO.

If the game were called "Psychopaths & Criminals Online" I would be with you 100%. I'm all for risk and danger, but to be at risk every second of losing your house and all your possessions? It's a bit much.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Greetings all

I will tell you.

That is all.

Drau

Yep,
Well said.
I hear you.

The excitement is really gone. Nothing like fighting in the CITY OF THE UNDEAD and haveing pks around at time. Death meant something. Loot was valued.

Now I have so much gold from vending its stupid.

I keep shrinking accounts. Why? Lack of ADVENTURE. No not lack of things to do. ADVENTURE. The game lost its exploring, danger, and adventure.

Ah well.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 3, 2004
See, this is exactly the sort of thing that I don't miss about the old UO.

If the game were called "Psychopaths & Criminals Online" I would be with you 100%. I'm all for risk and danger, but to be at risk every second of losing your house and all your possessions? It's a bit much.
Psychopaths & Criminals Online?? maybe that's why UO has murders/thieves? Order/Chaos? Sigh, you are so typical of a nowaday new UO player. You will never ever in your life to understand why UO was so great.

UO was meant for sandbox game. You can choose whatever you want to do. Most old UO players knows how to keep themselves safe. Your house rune and your house key should never be in your backpack at the sametime. Most players keep house rune safely in bank and before they go out hunting they go to a bank and leave their house key in the bank and when they are done they recall to the bank take the key out and recall back to house (targeting the rune safely in bank). It's not easy to break in people's houses. Everything was real life style. Even if you let people inside your house they can take anything they see other than items that's locked down or inside secure containers (items in house didnt use to decay).

IRL a thief stole your wallet/purse and take your money and keys and find out where you live from your ID, you can either change the door lock or hope he's just a theif not a rubber. UO if YOU do get killed with the house key on you (player's fault for not keep the valuables safe) you can log your character off and switch to another character and instantly change the door lock and the old key became useless. I have had kill a lot of people with their house key in pocket but I cant find their house because house rune should be left in bank as 2nd line of defense.

UO is a game of depth imitating real mid-evil age world. You ever thought about why there are two windows by the enterance of a castle and keep? They were meant for archers and mages to defend people trying to enter. A lot of guild wars are fought inside a guild castle or house. Anyone uninvited if entered your land they turn gray. That means you invite someone into your house you have the right to defend yourself if they try to do anything fishy. You may fight them urself or you may use command to ban them. OSI (original UO developing team) gave people a lot of tools to defend themselves. PvP used to be more balanced than ever. People used to fight to death on foot and on and on.

UO should be a sandbox game and THAT's what made UO great and different from all other MMORPG. You have several misunderstandings about old UO. Houses are terribly hard to get into and loot (you have to kill the char with key and hoping they didnt use another char to ban you from their house or change the door lock). All REAL vet players knows if you let someone in and allowed them to loot your house... YOU ****ed up. Any vet will tell you "next time dont carry your house key out while hunting/pvping".

UO has changed. DEV sacrificed many core element of UO in order to satisfy newbies. Ever played Oblivion? break in and enter, you can be a criminal or a hero or anything you want. UO USED TO BE LIKE THAT. In fact UO is the ONLY mmorpg that's so real and free to date. I adapted the changes and here I am still here. Over 9 years I just cant find another game that's like UO. Even with today's "nerfed/carebear" UO there are still many things that other games couldnt compete. That's why I remained. :)

Old UO has died years ago, but the spirit inside of me remained.