• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[EM NEWS] An Opportunity Squandered

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
from goldenbrewtavern.com

An opportunity squandered
Saturday, January 2, 2010
By EM Seppo

“How!? How did those Gargoyle loving maggots break the encryption?”, hissed the hooded stranger, as she galloped on her way to Morr manor.

She considered the possibility that one of the groups on her side entrusted with the key had betrayed them. However, it was more likely that she had given less credit than due to the opposing faction.

“A stronger encryption with a stronger key next time”, she nodded to herself.

At least, the encryption breakers were not wise enough to employ the knowledge gained in a meaningful manner.

“Fools!”, she spat. “They could have sent a spy to the meeting location, but instead they advertised their breakthrough by littering the realm with the translated message.”

A smile ran across her face when she thought about the looks on their faces when they found an empty room at the previously agreed meeting location.
__________________________________________________________________________________

The following books with the translated message were found (using the key: KeepBritanniaClean):

Hail, fellow members of Keep Britannia Clean campaign.

Actions of our new queen, out of ignorance or something more dark, have pushed our kingdom on course towards enslavement to the Gargish monsters. An-Buci, the so called gargish scholar, is nothing more than a spy amongst us – wolf parading in sheep-skin.

It is high time that we arrange a meeting to discuss this matters. You and your followers are invited to meet this Sunday at 6:00 PM PST at the inn under the tanner shop in Vesper. Come cloaked as not all eyes can be trusted. We have much to discuss and I have a mystery that requires solving.

Keep Britannia Clean Organizer

Note:
It was fun watching the group of people spending almost two hours breaking the encryption. I was very surprised at how good you were at gleaning information based on the few hints in the encrypted message. A big applause to the person who eventually guessed the encryption key which led to the breaking of the code. You were not meant to know the key, but it was picked in a manner that there was a possibility of someone guessing it.

However, I was bit dismayed by the choice of advertising the fact that the encryption had been broken. You had an opportunity to have a very dynamic event by banding together and sending in a stealther to spy during the meeting. That would have been truly epic! Alas… your actions have allowed the “Keep Britannia Clean” folks to realize that their secret meeting is not so secret.

But, this does show the potential that exists. As the arc unfolds, we will try to give more such windows of opportunity to both sides. Just remember that your actions will impact how things unfold. Stay in character, please do not share information with the other side even if they are your friends out of character, and use logic!

Related article:
1) For your eyes only

F

Fyiera Fyre

Aww that truely would have been an Epic Adventure... You dont see a lot of dealings with the Stealthers anymore...

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oooh, shame the opportunity was wasted but maybe people will be more clever about these things in the future.

Proserpina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clarice Starling to Hannibal Lecter: Your anagrams are showing, Doctor. Louis Friend? Iron sulfide, also known as fool's gold.

Your codes are showing, Em Seppo.....

If I had any interest in this arc at all, or even knew remotely what was happening, I'd say, "Bring it on Bandana boy!" Mwhahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

In any case, I'm sorry that I told them what they needed to use/code they needed to decipher that note. I thought the name of the game was camaraderie.

C

Chango of Baja

It was one person who put out the books..If one would have read them and known the authors name they would have known. I knew you were spying on us tho hehe. You would have also seen I did mention I am and have 2 Stealthers. :p haha