• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Event Drops

Should they change the way drops work?

• Top 10 - 20 damagers should get a drop

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Leave it random

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 20 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What is so difficult with spending a measly 45m on an xfer token? Shard transfers are opened to everyone. Nobody is forcing you to pay 25$ for an xfer token, you can easily buy them ingame from other players. Just because someone doesn't have shard shields yet (or may not even be remotely close to ever getting them) or that they don't have friends with shields, doesn't mean that they don't have the option to character transfer.

It's literally as easy as this:
Spend a little gold, buy one from a player.

And it's as simple as that.

If there isn't one on your server, then 100% there is one on Atl, and there are PLENTY of reputable people here on the forums who offer their shield transfers as a service to move things off of Atl to other servers for very low prices (around 5m).
45M is not measly to many players.

I'm well aware that people will shuttle things for cheap or free, and that you can probably buy a token on Atlantic with game gold. That's not the point. The point is that the fact that some players have to pay and some don't represents a serious access disparity that contradicts the privileged assertion that we are all one big uni-shard now. We're not. The walls aren't gone just become some people have ladders.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most average players don't play to collect rares they want to have fun...
as an average player I concur. I have been to events on great lakes and had a blast. sometimes I got a drop and more often I didn't, but it was fun anyway because I like the people that I was with and the time we had was good.

One time I got some boat oars on a pirate's corpse. The item description was misspelled and they announced you could have it fixed. I never had mine fixed. I like it the way it is. When I see it I think of what a good time I had that night.

Many times I never got a drop and while I wish I did, I can't let this determine whether or not I had a good time -that's ridiculous and would be a little insulting to the people I play with.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Overzealous pursuit of EM reward items and the associated misbehavior drives home sharders away from their own shard's events. THAT is the problem.

And we are NOT one big happy family now. Players with shard shields who mostly play with other players with shard shields might be able to think that, but anyone who was to pay $25 for a one-way trip probably doesn't. That's a huge schism that will never be healed unless cross shard travel is either removed or opened up to everyone, neither of which is ever going to happen. The current implementation of cross shard travel creates a bigger gap between players, not a smaller one.
i have 4 shard shields other than atlantic. the majority of transfers ive done were with full transfer tokens. i know many players, both for RP and PVP who have done the same. just saying, in todays UO the idea of a home shard is antiquated, with low, divided pops, the small investment in transfer tokens is worth becoming a member of mulitple shards. And yes, for a game that costs 10-15 dollars a month just to play i feel a transfer token is very cheap if its being used to make the basic subscription cost worth it.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Overzealous pursuit of EM reward items and the associated misbehavior drives home sharders away from their own shard's events. THAT is the problem.
In reality i know more people who have left our shard because of the style and dishonesty of the EMs than have ever left due to any "misbehavior" which in a video game is a term open to extremely loose interpretation. after playing a console game, the "rudeness" some people complain about really does seem like im in a geriatric home visiting a dying relative. If your home shard players arent happy and leaving, i would think it should be appreciated that anyone would participate in something that many people have given up on.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also like to say that at this point we should really only have 7 shards
3 north american
1 european
2 asian
1 australian

if people werent so selfish about their homes UO would be a much more vibrant place. anyone who disagrees just doesnt have the games best interest in mind. I understand people being attached and self centered about ancient properties, but all games change. at this point we either deal with the inconvenience of transfers, or make the leap to shard mergers.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Invasions! Set up like champ spawns, that get cycled monthly, the boss has a chance at dropping that months event item. As well as some other nifty trammel deco things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 north american
1 european
2 asian
1 australian

if people werent so selfish about their homes UO would be a much more vibrant place. anyone who disagrees just doesnt have the games best interest in mind. I understand people being attached and self centered about ancient properties, but all games change. at this point we either deal with the inconvenience of transfers, or make the leap to shard mergers.
There's barely enough players to keep 1 NA shard active Id propose

U.S. East
U.S. West
Europe
Asia 1
Asia 2
Aussie

..then again it'll never happen unless the could figure out a way to merge the moongates to show shards until they could merge housing. Example

Click Fel/Yew
And on the right t says Chesapeake, Atlantic, blah blah..

And give a 1 year time frame to consolidate housing on the "new server", then start removing those 1x1. A lengthy process but worth it.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm all or shard mergers. It is going to be something that we have to face at some point in time. I think everyone knows this. However, I also don't own any prime real estate, or behemoth real estate.

Anyone who thinks this game can survive without shard mergers/closures for another decade is in denial.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 north american
1 european
2 asian
1 australian

id cut usa down to west and east. other then that 100% agree

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's barely enough players to keep 1 NA shard active Id propose

U.S. East
U.S. West
Europe
Asia 1
Asia 2
Aussie

..then again it'll never happen unless the could figure out a way to merge the moongates to show shards until they could merge housing. Example

Click Fel/Yew
And on the right t says Chesapeake, Atlantic, blah blah..

And give a 1 year time frame to consolidate housing on the "new server", then start removing those 1x1. A lengthy process but worth it.

i split up the shards according to population. dont really know what to do about australia. if you ever really look into it, UO players consist of:
50 percent north american
10-20percent european
30percent asian
??? australian

so the shards wouldnt be packed, but because of time zones i think its the only way to split them up.

player-wise id agree with you on the north american shards. but as we know housing is still basically full on atlantic, i think the other north american shards could possibly be consolidated into 1, but to ensure ample room is why i suggested 3 total. who knows with more less but fuller shards, maybe we would have more returning players who would stick around. Obviously, reactivated accounts could be given a choice upon first login on what server to choose.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow. i didn't mean to spend as much time reading this thread as i ended up doing. so i'll add my two cents, even though I do not believe that my opinion will be read by those
who can actually make these changes.

events:
There seem to me to be two separate issues; first is the prevalence of inconsiderate players/intentional griefers and the second is the distribution of event rewards (rares).

The only things that I can think of for the intentional griefers, who stand over the npc who is talking, is that more em's could choose to stand in a place that players cannot go.
I have been at Atlantic events were Bennu was on the ocean or in the star area of the black tower. Or give em's the power to send a character (griefer) to jail (just like for unattended macroing,
but with a lighter sentence of two hours) for spamming spells/complaints. A third option, if it is possible, would be a chat channel that only the em can speak in (so you do not need to see
the comments from other players if you are just trying to follow the story).

As far as the distribution of rewards, I think what makes sense is that you divide the drops into equal parts and let each have its own distribution.
One third could be given on the death of the villain to either top damagers or at random of those that obtained looting rights. (equal chance for well-geared, properly templated characters)
One third could be at random from a clicky at the reward hall. (equal chance for all)
One third could be awarded directly from the EM (at their discretion) for good role-play/game-play/teamwork. (not at all equal, but these players make the event better for everyone who is there)
(could easily be : 50%-25%-25%)

shard consolidation:
I agree that eventually we should consolidate the player-base on fewer shards to reinforce the community. But attempting to do this presents a set of problems. How do they (the devs) decide
which shards should remain active? How do they transfer everyone and their items to those shards? If that is not done, how do they replace the population that quits after they lose
everything (or just their prime housing plot)? What happens to the housing and economy on the shards that remain active?

I propose a creation of new shards (number subject to debate). I believe this should occur at the anniversary and coincide with Return to Britannia. Transfer tokens to the new shards should be the
anniversary gift (or clicky) and account bound. The anniversary gift should be left to run for the entire year, as some players may not be able to log on for a month or more, depending on their life
circumstances. All of the now defunct shards should have all npc-activity turned off to ensure that even solo pvm'ers will need to transfer; defunct shards should have new character creation removed from
them. After one year, old shards should be deleted. During that year, housing decay should be turned off (so that the house on the new shard does not make the old homes on the same account become idoc.
At the end of that year, any account that has characters left on an older shard will be able to log on to a new shard with their backpack, bank box, and stable (provided they do not already have 7 characters
on the new shard - broadsword/ea could even sell an increased character-per-shard expansion to generate revenue)

Yes, everyone will have to move, myself included. Billionaires will still be able to buy their castles. Business realtors and those that make rl-profit from pixels will still be able to use their multiple accounts
to lock up prime real estate and charge exorbitant prices. But with less shards, em population will not be spread so thin. The community will be more vibrant; it will be easier to find a group. Those that did not
have the fun of the housing rush could experience it.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And how do you think they pay for those 60 accounts? By being greedy bastards that farm hack and grab stuff to sell on their site. Rather have 10 active players learning the greatness of the game and spreading the word. Then one POS with 60 accounts sucking the life from the game.
Get real, no one is "spreading the word" about this game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So shard merging..... So folk who have the recognized old homes are Screwed.... now they have to move lose the age of their house. People who have an RP town are screwed... they lose having all of their buildings together in the spot they chose to begin with and have to scatter to the four corners?

And you think this would make folk "happy"?

The ONLY thing that would make me even remotely consider picking up and moving 10 houses would be if they did something more like:

RP Shard
PvM Shard
PvP Shard
Asian RP Shard
Asian PvM Shard
Asian PvP Shard
Test Shard
Europe and Oceana can stay the way they are if they want or vote with the King on what they would like....
And finally a shard for "youngs" For Trial Accounts. Where Vets can make a character but that character can't do anything.... can't fight mobs, can't hold anything etc... but you can help the "young" players learn the game.

But then the EM's on the shards would cater events to the playerbase... When you move to that particular shard you'd know EXACTLY what you were getting into. PvP shards could be very much like Siege... NO insurance..... you get one blessed item...

This way they could also cater the "rewards" to the shards. And then NO transfer from one style to another. PvP shard you would get maybe 2 characters... Other shards you get the full 7.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Going to play Devil's advocated here one last time on shard merging.

It seems many of the same posters who have continually said "don't judge me by my playstyle, I pay I can do whatever I want" are now saying we need shard mergers to enhance their gameplay. So it's ok to uproot the few casual players left and move them to "your" shard thereby dictating many ppl's gameplay because the few want more fresh meat and lambs for the slaughter?

People can now switch shards at will, and those who want to, usually do

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It seems many of the same posters who have continually said "don't judge me by my playstyle, I pay I can do whatever I want" are now saying we need shard mergers to enhance their gameplay. So it's ok to uproot the few casual players left and move them to "your" shard thereby dictating many ppl's gameplay because the few want more fresh meat and lambs for the slaughter?

It has nothing to with yours or my playstyle it has to do with the fact that when people A. Come back or B. Log in for the first time. They have maybe a handful of people to play with. It's slowly killing the game. Why is it so hard for people to see this? It's an MMO not a single player game. Instead of Devs making super uber hear to promote single player play, they would be able to consolidate shards, maybe get a real damn server that works and focus energy in a smaller scale..

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It has nothing to with yours or my playstyle it has to do with the fact that when people A. Come back or B. Log in for the first time. They have maybe a handful of people to play with. It's slowly killing the game. Why is it so hard for people to see this? It's an MMO not a single player game. Instead of Devs making super uber hear to promote single player play, they would be able to consolidate shards, maybe get a real damn server that works and focus energy in a smaller scale..

I was only giving an opposing viewpoint, one shared by more than who just post here. But yes I agree to a certain extent. I know of several ppl who returned to Baja only to transfer off asap do to no-one being around. The thing is they had the ability to do that easily. I just don't know if merging shards will drive off more than it brings back. I'm gone and so is my entire guild if that happens most likely. Are we the only ones? I don't know. If it brings back more ppl than we lose I say go for it I can find other things to do with my time lol

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

And we are NOT one big happy family now. Players with shard shields who mostly play with other players with shard shields might be able to think that, but anyone who was to pay $25 for a one-way trip probably doesn't. That's a huge schism that will never be healed unless cross shard travel is either removed or opened up to everyone, neither of which is ever going to happen. The current implementation of cross shard travel creates a bigger gap between players, not a smaller one.
There are posts CONSISTENTLY made offering trips from here to there. If you cannot find someone to transfer a bag of items for you then you sincerely aren't looking very hard. Most of the cross shard players I have seen have been the most respectful people at the events. I see more complaining and pancakes from the shard locals than from anywhere else, and like I said I've got characters on most NAmerican Shards. If you don't have shard shields, and don't have any friends that do, and you cannot find anyone makeing a trip from shard A to shard B this month (seriously have you even tried?) then there is always shard vendors selling full transfer tokens for less than a good role play title in the government program set up in the game.
I have found that the easiest route to getting something transferred for me is to simply be nice to people. Seems to work well for me. Sometimes I have to be willing to wait until the person is ready to xfer, but that's not a problem for me. I don't mind waiting for a free trip.
We are a big family. If you'd like to be a part of it you simply need speak up. I have shields on 2 accounts. I am always offering transfers to people. Want to be friends? My ICQ is 95129146. I don't bite unless you are very very good ;) :dominatrix:

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All of you for shard merging, Great! Let me have you prime spot on Atl if I move there and you find another. It's for the best interest of the game after all.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

if they were actually going to do shard mergers, which would be good for the game at this point but will most likely never happen, i would think they would do all fresh servers. I myself own a house in probably one of the best and one of the most historical atlantic locations but would have no problems moving.

the only reason i brought up shard mergers to begin with was becuase some peoples idea that playing 1 dead shard is somehow more noble than contributing to many shards is just not good for the game at this point. for example this last RTB was a failure. people logging in to a once vibrant shard only to find it mostly empty. imo a rtb gift of a few transfer tokens should have been included, along with numbers on the login screen to show each shards active population to help returning accounts make a choice on where to go.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for example this last RTB was a failure.
Bah, it was a huge success...you got me back with it :).

The only concern I have with mergers is keeping a Siege ruleset server. I understand we don't have a ton of people on Siege, but we do have the most unique shard out there (1 character, No Trammel, No insurance and don't forget me)...la

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I dunno if I'd vote for shard merging. It really would allow me to close some accounts that I hold just for housing. Which means it would cost Broadsword money. But at the same time it might attract more people because you'd always find someone to play with when you log on. Double edged sword I think.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Invasions! Set up like champ spawns, that get cycled monthly, the boss has a chance at dropping that months event item. As well as some other nifty trammel deco things

Not a bad idea.
An easy(ier) way to implement something like this would be to utilize the spawns we already have ingame, in Ilshenar and also the Fel ones to give the reds and PvPers something new to fight over.
Stop with the drops at EM events and make them about the event only. Then create one or two new items each month that can drop from the Ilsh and Fel spawns.
That way the devs don´t have to spend much time coding and people can play for drops at a time that suits them. Make the drops the same across the shards.

This way the ones that want to "advance" themselves can find ways to solo farm the paragon spawns with ease and the lesser advanced characters can group up for a good time.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All of you for shard merging, Great! Let me have you prime spot on Atl if I move there and you find another. It's for the best interest of the game after all.
Won´t work.
What they mean to say is that they want to merge Atl with Siege and shut down Atl.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would have to be a game wide wipe..not just wipe the dead shards..that wouldn't be fair by any means

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bah, it was a huge success...you got me back with it :).

The only concern I have with mergers is keeping a Siege ruleset server. I understand we don't have a ton of people on Siege, but we do have the most unique shard out there (1 character, No Trammel, No insurance and don't forget me)...la
Siege wouldn't need to be touched at all

Varrius

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a bad idea.
An easy(ier) way to implement something like this would be to utilize the spawns we already have ingame, in Ilshenar and also the Fel ones to give the reds and PvPers something new to fight over.
Stop with the drops at EM events and make them about the event only. Then create one or two new items each month that can drop from the Ilsh and Fel spawns.
That way the devs don´t have to spend much time coding and people can play for drops at a time that suits them. Make the drops the same across the shards.

This way the ones that want to "advance" themselves can find ways to solo farm the paragon spawns with ease and the lesser advanced characters can group up for a good time.
Yea give people more empty spawns to fight over. That sounds like a great idea. The 1 or 2 items a month wouldn't interest people enough.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yea give people more empty spawns to fight over. That sounds like a great idea. The 1 or 2 items a month wouldn't interest people enough.
Fine by me. Exclude the Fel spawns then.

Varrius

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's no wonder why the people with a brain that play this game always say everyone that posts on UOHall are idiots, I actually see that it is true.

Varrius

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No wonder why this game has gone to **** with the devs getting their input from this crowd. What a joke.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was only giving an opposing viewpoint, one shared by more than who just post here. But yes I agree to a certain extent. I know of several ppl who returned to Baja only to transfer off asap do to no-one being around. The thing is they had the ability to do that easily. I just don't know if merging shards will drive off more than it brings back. I'm gone and so is my entire guild if that happens most likely. Are we the only ones? I don't know. If it brings back more ppl than we lose I say go for it I can find other things to do with my time lol
I see your view point on things..it's not like Id have nothing to lose myself. I too have houses scattered amongst multiple shards tons of characters, items, friends..but it would be nice to not have to log into 6 different shard just to find people. It becomes redundant and boring. I think more of an issue over housing would be what to do with the characters on those shards that now have no homes..maybe a wipe token that breaks down characters into the scrolls ate/ 1 use Soulstone tokens etc..it would have to be a massive overhaul probably not even close to being on the spectrum of possibilities atm. But it doesn't hurt to bounce ideas around and "try" to find a happy medium. But consolidation is 100% needed..new players have no clue what to do, especially when steam does go active and someone logs in makes a character halfway to realize the shard they are on is completely dead..what then start over? Transfer? At that point most new players who aren't vested in the game like the 99.8% of people who post here just click the little X on the top of the screen and log into "insert game here".

It would be ideal to turn UO back into the main game people play, over a fall back game when they become bored with the new shiny game they are trying to replace it with..because it doesn't live up to UO expectations.

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see your view point on things..it's not like Id have nothing to lose myself. I too have houses scattered amongst multiple shards tons of characters, items, friends..but it would be nice to not have to log into 6 different shard just to find people. It becomes redundant and boring. I think more of an issue over housing would be what to do with the characters on those shards that now have no homes..maybe a wipe token that breaks down characters into the scrolls ate/ 1 use Soulstone tokens etc..it would have to be a massive overhaul probably not even close to being on the spectrum of possibilities atm. But it doesn't hurt to bounce ideas around and "try" to find a happy medium. But consolidation is 100% needed..new players have no clue what to do, especially when steam does go active and someone logs in makes a character halfway to realize the shard they are on is completely dead..what then start over? Transfer? At that point most new players who aren't vested in the game like the 99.8% of people who post here just click the little X on the top of the screen and log into "insert game here".

It would be ideal to turn UO back into the main game people play, over a fall back game when they become bored with the new shiny game they are trying to replace it with..because it doesn't live up to UO expectations.

I like your idea of starting over, housing wise at least. If ALL shards go and everyone starts fresh, hell I'm in 100% on that. I'll happily donate my castle to that cause. (Besides I'm the poorest UO vet alive, all my pixel possessions will easily fit in one 18x18)

As always the concern would be how it's rolled out. Given pretty much everything that's happened til now I'm not seeing a seamless integration. Also with full(er) servers the TOS would need to be enforced and customer service improved by roughly 10,000,000,000% (give or take)

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like your idea of starting over, housing wise at least. If ALL shards go and everyone starts fresh, hell I'm in 100% on that. I'll happily donate my castle to that cause. (Besides I'm the poorest UO vet alive, all my pixel possessions will easily fit in one 18x18)
I got you beat, been playing for 14 yrs and still only have 1 acct and play out of my bank boxes. Have one 7x7 plot that I use as a place to use soulstones and that's it.

Edit: forgot to mention that I also support shard merging, end to event items, clean slate, f2p, all that jazz.

Last edited:

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got you beat, been playing for 14 yrs and still only have 1 acct and play out of my bank boxes. Have one 7x7 plot that I use as a place to use soulstones and that's it.

Edit: forgot to mention that I also support shard merging, end to event items, clean slate, f2p, all that jazz.
I can't say I support F2P because without new shiny graphics, or any hi rez art this game isn't going to attract any new players that aren't out to grief or make a RL buck or 2. Best to cater to returning players that miss the days when shards were full and a commitment to stop cheating would go a long way there.

As far as EM events go, UO is on life support as it is, and like it or not EM events is that life support. I don't have a medical degree (and according to Varrius I'm an idiot) but it seems to me best not to turn off life support until the patient can breathe on his own again

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Doesn't really matter they have stated before that they won't merge shards. Again if folk wanted to they could easily transfer off a dead shard to a more populated one all by themselves.

Not everyone wants to play on a crowded shard like Atl. Some actually prefer the solitude.

As for Shard Shields I have one to almost every shard there is. By December of next year "if" I'm still playing I should have one to every shard. I don't really go back and forth much. But if someone really needed something moved ... I'm not horribly opposed to helping.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How did this go from an EM Event Drop thread to a Shard Merger thread? o_O

I don't like that idea...shard mergers....there are still some well-established player-run towns and such that might overlap others....some unique places on each shard that would be lost....just my two cents.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as EM events go, UO is on life support as it is, and like it or not EM events is that life support. I don't have a medical degree (and according to Varrius I'm an idiot) but it seems to me best not to turn off life support until the patient can breathe on his own again
Or you pull the plug because you love the patient and it has turned into a brain dead vegetable and you know that the patient wouldn't want their life to be reduced to that...

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People want to be rewarded for their effort. That's why there is loot on MOBs. That is why there are artifacts, powerscrolls, replicas, and everything else.
To say that EM events shouldn't have rewards or the rewards should be scaled back is like saying we should take all the loot out of the game.
EMs create content. EMs are engaging, fun, and should be creatively finding ways to garner participation on their given shards. The more people they attract the better they are at their jobs.
If you put in the effort you will get drops with the system the way it is. It isn't as difficult as it was when it was set as top damagers, you don't need to work nearly as hard.
Does that mean that the top damagers are no longer guaranteed a drop? Yes. Can you get something with no effort at all? No.

And where does all this "EM Event Rewards are baddddddddd" mentality come from anyway? Why does it concern you so much that person X has gotten 14 rewards this year and buys sells and trades them?
And why do you think they are taking anything from "YOUR" shard? It's not "yours" it's "ours". All of us are playing this game together now. Doesn't matter if you live in California or New York. You earn the item
on Pacific shard it's yours. Same as if you earned one on the Atlantic shard. We are all one big happy family now. Like it or leave it. Cross sharding is here and it's here to stay. Stop trying to separate yourselves and
come together. There's no justifiable reason to keep the walls between us.

I don't get all this dislike for each other. Someone said "Xsharders outnumber us 5-1". If that's true, then perhaps that shard is the Xsharder's shard and not "yours". But as they say "why can't we all just get along"??
There's nothing wrong with just being UO players right?
I feel like I work in race relations here or something. Like I am trying to end some sort of bigotry. It's our game. Let's play it together.

Not that hard to understand if you try

In one guild I was in we always had sunday peerless night most of the members did help getting keys for multiple peerless but there was 3 that never did but always took part when it was time to do the boss
At first no one did care but after awhile people starting to get annoyed that they never help with getting keys

After a couple months it got so bad that no one wanted those 3 players to come with them when it was time to do the boss

You may think the reason why people got annoyed is that they put all the work in and those 3 only came for the reward but that is not it
The reason was that those 3 had no desire to actually play with them they only was intrested in the reward

I would guess it is the same reason why people do not like xsharders or eventers they only come for the reward but are not playing with them when it is no event

And you may think effort always should be rewarded and take that as a reason why event items should exist but the invested time doing em events to get items and the time mining is not rewarded the same way not even close
If all i ever wanted to do in uo was mining it would be almost impossible to not feel that my time invested in this game is pointless seeing people sell EM items for 500m in chat

One point of view

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure what the people who are in favor of shard merging think it will achieve.
I am almost certain that if unlimited shard transfer was made completely free tomorrow the huge majority of existing players would not leave their big home on their dead shard.
So what is the point?
It will not attract or affect new players as they generally just start on the only few busy shards these days anyways.
So what will forcing people to move do?
There is no way you could ever recreate the original cycle/growth pattern of UO so merging makes no sense at all imo

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
On server merging:
1. It's not our problem as players if there are too many servers. We're not the ones hosting anything.
2. Mesanna has already stated many times that no server merges will ever happen.

Get over it already.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On server merging:
1. It's not our problem as players if there are too many servers. We're not the ones hosting anything.
2. Mesanna has already stated many times that no server merges will ever happen.

Get over it already.
They also have said no emphatically on FTP..and now their stance is eh we have been seriously going over details. So I mean..if you dislike reading the subject there is a cute little back button..freedom of clicking (it could be a thing)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They also have said no emphatically on FTP..and now their stance is eh we have been seriously going over details. So I mean..if you dislike reading the subject there is a cute little back button..freedom of clicking (it could be a thing)
Just because something was once denied but is now considered a possibility does not necessary mean anything else is possible. If you really were playing since 1998, you'd remember that Designer Dragon had always nixed the possibility of a PvP switch. Yet with the variant we received, it's true that a PvP switch never happened.

But merging shards has too great a negative impact on house owners, perhaps not insurmountable, but at to great a cost for it to be worth any Dev team time. Broadsword would spend so much to recoup very little, in light of how few would rejoin UO for busier shards versus those canceling accounts because of lost castles and communities. As someone's said, be very worried if shards get merged, because it probably means the game is in its very last days.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would also like to say that at this point we should really only have 7 shards.
yeah I agree Atlantic and Yamoto are to big we need to do away with the shards and let them find a new home.

Why don't you leave the little shards alone! I like my shard as it is.
Honestly the little shards are SO much better then the big shards.
I don't know why anyone plays on the big shards

Thank you

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy math. What gold sells for per million. What a shard shield sells for ingame gold. Naaahhhhhwwww, those tokens are not dupes. It is not the farming hack scripters that are ruining the game. Just the dumb arse wholes that support them are the issue.

I have a chest at my house I toss checks in. Overflow goes into the trash barrel. Will not be tossing out a holiday candy cane to make room for checks in make bank. Those gifts had been given with love. Funny how the truth can sound sarcostic.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There are posts CONSISTENTLY made offering trips from here to there. If you cannot find someone to transfer a bag of items for you then you sincerely aren't looking very hard.
I'm not asking for a ride. I'm criticizing the lopsided access to a game mechanic that, by the assertion of yourself and many other cross-sharders, has become a fundamental part of the game. I am pointing out that this is problematic and increases the friction and hostilities between cross-sharders and home sharders.

And for the record, if I do want a ride, I know where to go. I just got some stuff moved a few days ago in fact. Not the point. One chunk of the population shouldn't have to either spend a lot of money (whether it be real money or in game gold) or rely on the charity (and trustworthiness) of the other chunk of the population to access what the latter group keeps insisting is a fundamental part of the game now.

If it's not a big deal, why did everyone with shields blow a gasket when they changed them briefly a while back? It is absurd to insist that limited access for some people isn't a problem after everyone lost their minds when access was suddenly more limited for everyone.

Most of the cross shard players I have seen have been the most respectful people at the events. I see more complaining and pancakes from the shard locals than from anywhere else, and like I said I've got characters on most NAmerican Shards.
I don't know what events you've been going to, but that's hilariously inaccurate for my shard. I guess I need to start recording events and posting transcripts. I think that would be VERY telling, especially with a glossary of which character represented which Stratics poster.

...always shard vendors selling full transfer tokens for less than a good role play title in the government program set up in the game...
Again, not the point, and not a reasonable comparison. A title is a vanity item that you only have to buy once. By your own assertion, cross-shard travel is a basic part of gameplay, and the reality is that it is used quite frequently by those who can. A more apt comparison would be if only certain players could include their vendors on the vendor search. What, you could just get your friend to put your stuff on his vendor, right? There are plenty of great people who would happily run your vendor for you for free or maybe a small fee! It's not really that much of an advantage anyway! Heck, I know a guy who has seventeen vendors and never uses them!

I have found that the easiest route to getting something transferred for me is to simply be nice to people. Seems to work well for me. Sometimes I have to be willing to wait until the person is ready to xfer, but that's not a problem for me. I don't mind waiting for a free trip.
We are a big family. If you'd like to be a part of it you simply need speak up. I have shields on 2 accounts. I am always offering transfers to people. Want to be friends? My ICQ is 95129146. I don't bite unless you are very very good
This seeming offer of friendship rings a bit empty since I'm already on your ICQ list and I send you event reminder messages frequently... and in fact sent you one just a few hours before you posted your reply here to me. o_O I know you get them because you replied once... to complain about my shard EMs.

I mean, seriously? Is that your idea of being nice to people... completely forgetting they are in regular contact with you? (Unless they can move stuff for you, I guess.)

Yeah, not feeling very familial here.