• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Elven Necro Mage - PvP/PvM Stats?

hexfeather

Visitor
I am going 6x 120.
120 Magery
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Evaluate Intelligence
120 Resisting Spells
120 Meditation

My focus will be PvP, but will also be running content/spawns with friends.
My INT is sitting right @ 125 at the moment, and I just popped a +15 stat scroll.
My STR is around 80, and DEX ~30.

Should I run 125 STR/125 INT/10 DEX? Or will I need higher dex? I'm not familiar with gear changes since I've only recently returned to the game. Gear suggestions for PvP are welcomed.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am going 6x 120.
120 Magery
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Resisting Spells
120 Meditation

My INT is sitting right @ 125 at the moment, and I just popped a +15 stat scroll.

Should I run 125 STR/125 INT/10 DEX? Or will I need higher dex? I'm not familiar with gear changes since I've only recently returned to the game. Gear suggestions for PvP are welcomed.
What's the advantage of 120 Necro?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I am going 6x 120.
120 Magery
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Resisting Spells
120 Meditation

You will want Str as high as possible before anything else. You can run 10 Dex.

70/75/70/70/75 resists (Wraith Form is 15/-5/0/0/-5 and you'll probably be in it a lot), 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 10+ mr, 15+ sdi, 45 dci, 2/6, 25 hp is imo the minimum for a plain jane Necro/Mage. Once you've got that I would probably want skill increase, Str increase, hpr, casting focus, various damage eaters and/or damage eater itself, e.p., I also like using rpd. The importance of the extras varies but I usually get 3-5 of them.

I'd also recommend stoning on Taming/Lore and bonding a pair of decent Bake Kitsune's to use with a Dark Wolf, they have great resists for cover when spawning, allowing you to freely Wither without Protection. Plus they have a combined 800+ mana they can dump on enemies.

I'd also recommend being human not elf.

hexfeather

Visitor
The build I was basing this off of was 6x 120. I figure damage scales off necro/spirit. Plus, if I left necro @ 100, that's really not enough to do anything else with.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Damage is only based off of the modifying skill (Spirit Speak), the main skill only affects success chance of casting the spell, and a partial effect on how the mastery's work. Usually people have either 105 Necro, for 100% success at casting Strangle if the character is likely to PvP a lot, or 100 Necro, for 100% success at casting Wither if they're just for spawning, the only spell higher is Revenant and that's used sparingly at best. The spare points combined with, items or slight adjustments to the other skill levels, can help you get another skill on there without any real detriment to the main aspects (PvPers generally have no points in anything that aren't doing something, i.e. even 15 Focus is better than 15 Necro if that 15 Necro isn't doing anything). For example a Necro/Scribe/Mage, or Necro/Nox/Mage plus others are all possible.

hexfeather

Visitor
If I lowered meditation, what should I lower it to?
If I went scribe w/ 105 necro, what would I need to get scribe to, and what would be the benefits?
I heard nox is pretty useless now. Is that not actually the case? What would the skill tradeoffs be on using it?

Barbarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would keep Med as high as possible, especially if you are new to Mage templates. You can get away with less than 100/120, but you need to be good at managing mana.

Scribe needs to be 100 - it will give you a 10% SDI/5% casting focus bonus. Less than 100 will give you nothing.

I stoned on nox the other day for a quick trial. I though it made a noticeable difference with opponents finding it difficult to cure (compared to a standard poison spell). DP fields in spawn were decent as well. YMMV.

Probably the best thing you can do is set a template and then hit the duelling arena. Find someone better than you and duel them as many times as you can. Once you start to get a handle on your template you can figure out the strengths/weaknesses and your personal preferences and adjust it accordingly.

I've been doing this for a few weeks - now I am more competent at managing mana I find I can get away with 70 Med, leaving room for other skills.

Barbarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sorry - you said you had returned to the game recently. There are now duelling arenas in Haven and Occlo. You can set duel rules prior to entering and there is no insurance loss, so you can have at it

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
What skill do you want to use the primer mastery for? That's probably the only one you need to be a true 120 (aside from Resisting Spells if you're going to PVP). You should definitely try to utilize some other items to gain additional skill points (i.e., some of the mage talismans, like the one that has +10 Spirit Speak, or the Crystalline ring that has +20 Magery, +20 Focus, and finding a good Scrapper spellbook that has another 10-20 points of various skills, etc...)

I would suggest trying to find a way to add 50-60 skill points from your template from items and/or lowering Necromancy and Meditation to 100 a piece. If you could fit in 80 points of Poisoning on there, you could be an effective Nox Necro Mage that would be good for both PVP and a positive contributor for running spawns or other PVM content.

hexfeather

Visitor
Do I need to have any expansion to access the dueling content?

Ok, so a mix of suggestions here and talking with guildmates has inspired me to run Nox @ 80. 100 spirit/100 necro gives 40 to Nox.
Magery @ 120 alongside Eval @ 120 (assuming eval should also be true 120?) and Resists @ 120.
I could drop meditation to 80? I mean, that's quite a hit to med but it would allow me to run 80 poison straight away. Of course I'll be coming across gear as well, with time.

Or should I just get meditation to 100, and then drop something else down and recoup with gear? What would be the easiest/cheapest way for me to get that ball rolling?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If I lowered meditation, what should I lower it to?
If I went scribe w/ 105 necro, what would I need to get scribe to, and what would be the benefits?
I heard nox is pretty useless now. Is that not actually the case? What would the skill tradeoffs be on using it?
I've got away with Med as low as 80 on a Necro/Scribe/Mage.

Scribe needs to be 100, it gives 10 SDI and 5 Casting Focus.

No, nox is fantastic especially for fields, especially when you can cast Evil Omen before it.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Do I need to have any expansion to access the dueling content?

Ok, so a mix of suggestions here and talking with guildmates has inspired me to run Nox @ 80. 100 spirit/100 necro gives 40 to Nox.
Magery @ 120 alongside Eval @ 120 (assuming eval should also be true 120?) and Resists @ 120.
I could drop meditation to 80? I mean, that's quite a hit to med but it would allow me to run 80 poison straight away. Of course I'll be coming across gear as well, with time.

Or should I just get meditation to 100, and then drop something else down and recoup with gear? What would be the easiest/cheapest way for me to get that ball rolling?
You will probably need some skill items on jewellery anyway to run a Mage Weapon for melee defense. Unless you use the -0 one (which I don't personally recommend but to get you going...) You should be able to find another 20 skill points on gear to have Med at 100.

hexfeather

Visitor
They aren't?
Yeah, I think I misinterpreted your message.

I'll be on quite the budget while I get my bank rolling. But I am in a group that does run content (however, at different hours than I generally play - with the exception of maybe weekend days), so I should start seeing some money. In the meanwhile, I do have a staff of the magi (a gift), so I'll just use that for now.

80 Meditation it is. 80 Nox. 120 Mage/Eval. 100 Necro/Spirit. 120 Resist.

Really do appreciate all the feedback! Makes life a little easier to start out with a plan. Of course I can experiment later when I am able to secure some fragments/soulstones.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, I think I misinterpreted your message.

I'll be on quite the budget while I get my bank rolling. But I am in a group that does run content (however, at different hours than I generally play - with the exception of maybe weekend days), so I should start seeing some money. In the meanwhile, I do have a staff of the magi (a gift), so I'll just use that for now.

80 Meditation it is. 80 Nox. 120 Mage/Eval. 100 Necro/Spirit. 120 Resist.

Really do appreciate all the feedback! Makes life a little easier to start out with a plan. Of course I can experiment later when I am able to secure some fragments/soulstones.
I don't know if the guild you're in is in VvV but if it is you can buy 4 enhanced major artifacts for the 2000 silver or points or whatever it's called these days, just upon joining, that's without having to do anything. The only drawback is you orange (freely attackable) by other VvV guilds in Fel and if you die you get temporary skill loss for about 5 minutes.

It is, however, a really quick template to build. You max Med and Resist first, for Resist you can just use the Spectral Spellbinders in New Haven you'll be done in no time. Med will probably cap out at the same time, raise Focus to the cap too while training. Next I would do Necro/SS, you can do just SS by spamming Curse Weapon but Necro Forms help a lot with training all the skills, so I'd probably just work Necro. You can GM it in about 2 hours. Mage can be GM'd in an hour. Once you have at least 40 Necro/60 SS you'll also be able to take advantage of places like the Acid Slugs in the Underworld dungeon, go in Wraith Form and damage them and you will leech back endless mana for training. Can set up a few easy macros to do it with. If you end up needing to do Eval spam Create Food. You can probably 7x GM in a day. Then just do Poison, either start with it, or Soulstone it over from a new character or use Scolls Of Transcendence/Scrolls Of Alacrity... It actually isn't too hard to train these days as you can just poison one item repeatedly.

If you're not spawning with your guild, do the Ilshenar or Edodon spawns, even if all you get is the gold at the end it's better than most other things you can be doing. The new Kotl thing is basically free money at the moment too as no one is looting anything just spam killing for points.

hexfeather

Visitor
How in the holy hell can you GM necro and mage that fast!? I am already at 100 mage, 100 eval, 100 necro, and 100 spirit. But it took days of spending hours on end per day to train those...of course, eval and spirit were free, since just training necro and mage trained them equally.

I followed the proper spellcasting guides (which spells to train at whichever level), and had a -25 mage weapon during training. I don't see how GMing those from 40% (50% after accelerated gain in NH) only takes 1-2 hours.

Yeah, the guild VvV's. And I have zero problems oranging. I honestly think the tram/fel split is ********, and that insurance is equally dumb.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
How in the holy hell can you GM necro and mage that fast!? I am already at 100 mage, 100 eval, 100 necro, and 100 spirit. But it took days of spending hours on end per day to train those...of course, eval and spirit were free, since just training necro and mage trained them equally.

I followed the proper spellcasting guides (which spells to train at whichever level), and had a -25 mage weapon during training. I don't see how GMing those from 40% (50% after accelerated gain in NH) only takes 1-2 hours.

Yeah, the guild VvV's. And I have zero problems oranging. I honestly think the tram/fel split is ********, and that insurance is equally dumb.
Well you can Imbue a -29 Mage Weapon with no Imbuing skill. Assuming you are 2/6, 100 lrc, 40 lmc, and have as much mana regen packed on as possible (I did it in an hour 10 mins with 14 mr about 8 years ago, you can have 30 mr now), Lich Form, Shadow Wisp, Med & Focus...

Necro, is easy up to the Wither level, at which point you can use the Acid Slugs for infinite mana training.

You can do Mage at the Acid Slugs to at later levels with Meteor Swarm/Wraith Form, EQ.

You always start from buy it to 40 in New Haven, take the accelerated gain quest to 50, (remembering to cancel the quest when complete so you can use it again on that character if you need to).

kze

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will probably need some skill items on jewellery anyway to run a Mage Weapon for melee defense. Unless you use the -0 one (which I don't personally recommend but to get you going...) You should be able to find another 20 skill points on gear to have Med at 100.
Why -0 not recommending?