• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Economy and gold.. update needed

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would argue that gold check dupes rarely exist and its far more likely to get scammed on a large purchase where you can't hand over the checks then the economy to be borked by gold check dupes.
Then your argument would be wrong.

Before duping checks, people duped castle deeds. And they really didn't hide it. There were keeps, castles, towers with their floors covered in deeds. People had accounts just to hold castle deeds. In one week you could go starting from 1 castle deed to duping 120+ a day per account (or more depending on the dupe you used).

Making larger checks would only make the duping harder to detect because they could have to dupe less for the same result.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone remember this thread (link below) and the many other threads that popped up around the same time regarding UO's economy? And do you recall Jeremy discussing this change and other possible changes at town halls? I kind of remember her talking about slowing down spawn rates too to slow down gold gathering and there was definitely a period when you would just about die of boredom looking or waiting for stuff to respawn, especially if you were hunting with someone else. Unfortunately I don't remember us getting much info from the devs when the BOS nerf was reversed a few years later or when respawn rates improved.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/bags-of-sending-facts-feedback-poll.48773/#post-362125

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tokot

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To get economy back to life all we need is denomination - to let all the gold stored in gold remain intact and all the gold stored in checks or vendors being cut by 1000 or 10000 times. With all the duped items wiped out of existence. Everything except rares should cost exactly the same how much gold you can earn if you hunt for gold instead of hunting for item. How long it will take you to get even 40 mil in gold? I just cannot believe that "new loot top weapons" are harder to get then 400 mil of gold.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why would dupers want to dupe a 1m check when they simply dupe the EM rares aka the latest one being the sphinx- among many others ....or simply keep banging out the old scaffolds and 2 story statues....alas they never flood the market they simply drip feed them with stories of idoc loot..[whatever]....quite simply make head way to stop the duping full stop

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh and the biggest culprit to damaging the economy...get ready.... The EMs banging out open cheque book bling bling all singing all dancing items...yes thats right..open cheque book values into the millions and sometime billions of gold....why??why why.....so a EM holds an event with 10 drops.....each drop is valued at a minimun of 500m gold..... because its a nice animated drop....quite simply that one EM as just put 5 billion gold checks out there...read that again ..one event...one EM...and 5 billion gold worth of item into the market??? when will it end???? so dont moan about the economy.....mmmm do u think any struggling government will simply make an extra 500 billion dollars or whatever currency and then simply give it all away to the common folks to save there real economy...erm...no they wont......DO NOT MOAN ABOUT THE UO ECONOMY...you asked for it...we lay in the bed thats been made.

THIS simply encourage dupers to dupe said item and get rich very very quick...and encourages people to actually want to dupe !!! so they can have the mega gold to buy the latest bling bling all singing and dancing items for themseleves...crazy crazy crazy...

can once remember when the em events were restarted....and we can all remember why they were stopped!!! that some dev saying the drops would have no value...simply tokens of the event...simple crafted items to mark the event occassion...BS!!

YES SADLY THE TRUTH HURTS....sorry...

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh and the biggest culprit to damaging the economy...get ready.... The EMs banging out open cheque book bling bling all singing all dancing items...yes thats right..open cheque book values into the millions and sometime billions of gold....why??why why.....so a EM holds an event with 10 drops.....each drop is valued at a minimun of 500m gold..... because its a nice animated drop....quite simply that one EM as just put 5 billion gold checks out there...read that again ..one event...one EM...and 5 billion gold worth of item into the market???...

This has to be Atlantic, right? I mean what other shard has a population that could support the buying and selling of items like you describe? 500m for a single silly item, no matter how rare, is laughable to people on most shards. You speak of things such as this as commonplace among the people you associate with... I can assure you that the vast majority of the (all shards) population considers 500m for a single piece of electron garbage as laughable..... Those of you that are billionaires do not either represent or speak for the majority of us who go about our normal UO lives totally content with a couple of mill in the bank. And we are the vast majority, no matter how vocal the half dozen here - who often wish to represent themselves as one of us. I fully expect we'll hear from them shortly..... How their ears must be burning by now... :eek:

You want real UO? Come to Siege like I did... We have the economy that all of UO had a decade or so back... 500m for a single item - lmao. Of course, you'll have a few adjustments to make... You won't be as safe at all times as you are now - but you'll soon find that the element of the unknown is what you've been missing for years now. And we have a very large population of people who don't go around killing people for fun, contrary to what you might have imagined. Many of them will be happy to assist you in acclimating here and teach you the best ways to avoid our pk population. Or, if you wish, you may become one of them... Either way, you'll love it...

Sorry, I digress from the OP... 500m for a single item is quite simply laughable.

Oh, did I mention that you can keep your house and have one on Siege too now? So, exactly what do you have to lose? Won't increase your monthly contribution to EA one iota... Come and join us and leave this prodo shard insanity to those who wish to stay a part of it... Announce yourself, if you wish, on the Siege forum here. You'll get all your questions answered.....

Represent....

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's true. Just check out the rares collector section of this very forum.
Never said it wasn't true, just that it was laughable to the majority of the population... We of the majority don't see a need to change the way gold is handled to accommodate those who feel that a bank box that will ONLY hold 125m is somehow insufficient.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never said it wasn't true, just that it was laughable to the majority of the population... We of the majority don't see a need to change the way gold is handled to accommodate those who feel that a bank box that will ONLY hold 125m is somehow insufficient.
Your right it is laughable..to me also...but ...alas...your wrong too...because the values do vary..the bare minimum some of these ''made'' EM event items are 200m gold...the norm is 500m and yes my friend....some go for much much more than that...

like i say i call them ''blank check drops''...The EM in my mind ....may as well just stuff 500m in 10 bags and drop the 5 billion on the floor at the event........thats how crazy it is...[Enough of this!!]...how there ears will burn indeed......winks...

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why would dupers want to dupe a 1m check when they simply dupe the EM rares aka the latest one being the sphinx- among many others ....or simply keep banging out the old scaffolds and 2 story statues....alas they never flood the market they simply drip feed them with stories of idoc loot..[whatever]....quite simply make head way to stop the duping full stop

The simple answer is that gold checks are hard to track
Look at the spinx
how many came up in sale treads on the rare forum ? 5-6 maybe
And already every rare collector out there know that they are duped......and rare collectors are the only one that is intrested in this item

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh and the biggest culprit to damaging the economy...get ready.... The EMs banging out open cheque book bling bling all singing all dancing items...yes thats right..open cheque book values into the millions and sometime billions of gold....why??why why.....so a EM holds an event with 10 drops.....each drop is valued at a minimun of 500m gold..... because its a nice animated drop....quite simply that one EM as just put 5 billion gold checks out there...read that again ..one event...one EM...and 5 billion gold worth of item into the market??? when will it end???? so dont moan about the economy.....mmmm do u think any struggling government will simply make an extra 500 billion dollars or whatever currency and then simply give it all away to the common folks to save there real economy...erm...no they wont......DO NOT MOAN ABOUT THE UO ECONOMY...you asked for it...we lay in the bed thats been made.

THIS simply encourage dupers to dupe said item and get rich very very quick...and encourages people to actually want to dupe !!! so they can have the mega gold to buy the latest bling bling all singing and dancing items for themseleves...crazy crazy crazy...

can once remember when the em events were restarted....and we can all remember why they were stopped!!! that some dev saying the drops would have no value...simply tokens of the event...simple crafted items to mark the event occassion...BS!!

To blame EM items for crushing the illusion that uo did not have a gold problem is not the same thing as the source of the gold problem

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone remember this thread (link below) and the many other threads that popped up around the same time regarding UO's economy? And do you recall Jeremy discussing this change and other possible changes at town halls? I kind of remember her talking about slowing down spawn rates too to slow down gold gathering and there was definitely a period when you would just about die of boredom looking or waiting for stuff to respawn, especially if you were hunting with someone else. Unfortunately I don't remember us getting much info from the devs when the BOS nerf was reversed a few years later or when respawn rates improved.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/bags-of-sending-facts-feedback-poll.48773/#post-362125

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I do remember
I could be wrong but i think the bos nerf was reversed at the same time they did lower the weight of gold

and thx you for doing what you do here on stratics I enjoy you chat style very much

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To blame EM items for crushing the illusion that uo did not have a gold problem is not the same thing as the source of the gold problem
Errr theve been restarted for a long time now the events.....i think were on season 11??? of the events..pretty sure..it deffo DID contribute my friend.....Lets just say for sure ....EMs dropping 2-3-4-5 billion on the floor is not helping the UO economy one bit [end]

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and again quite simply...why the hell are the devs not doing anything about the duping...thats still going on this week for sure...we only need look at the sphinxs to see that...and to say only 5-6 have been for sale?? ive seen that many already on one shard...and thats the public ones...

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen about as many posts complaining that stuff is too expensive ("rampant inflation!") as there are that stuff is too cheap ("my orni is worthless now," worthless being defined as 'only' 20m to 30m, minimum).

Some "blame" the "issue" on too little gold ("too hard for newer players to catch up!"), some on too much gold ("too easy to get gold!").

Some "blame" the "issue" on the "death of crafting" ("crafted stuff is worthless!"), some blame crafting skills ("Imbuing, reforging, and runic changes have killed loot!!").

I could go on and on but the gist is this: The arguments about the economy are a jumble of irreconcilable contradictions, coupled with predictions of impending "economic collapse" without operationalizing what that term actually would mean in a UO context.

At the end of the day it's best to just keep going as we have been.

Yes, duping should be eradicated. For the simple reason that it is against the rules of the game we all play. Further, we'll never know what the natural economy of UO looks like without eradicating it. But to assume getting rid of duping will fix everything assumes we agree on what's broken, which we don't. If duping were gone tomorrow someone would whine about its lack, knowingly or unknowingly.

Further:

To blame the state of the economy on any particular item or category of items is flat-out dumb. If players pay gold for a given item, that gold still had to come from someplace. Trading over items is spending existing gold. Either that gold entered the economy through legitimate means (mostly gold farming on high-gold monsters), or illegitimate means (duping). Either way, the gold was already there or it could not be traded at all.

To say that it's "easy" to get gold neglects an important fact: Most of the "easy" methods that are described already require a pretty good amount of money in order to accomplish. Sure, once you have gold already, you can get more of it, more easily.

-Galen's player

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To get economy back to life all we need is denomination - to let all the gold stored in gold remain intact and all the gold stored in checks or vendors being cut by 1000 or 10000 times. With all the duped items wiped out of existence. Everything except rares should cost exactly the same how much gold you can earn if you hunt for gold instead of hunting for item. How long it will take you to get even 40 mil in gold? I just cannot believe that "new loot top weapons" are harder to get then 400 mil of gold.
I also did think in these lines

Is money realy a good way to determine the value of what we do

So i took the most simple economy

There is only 1 way to get cash (hunt monster)
The only thing that stop uss to get unlimited cash is our life span (99 years)

In this example money is time and when our max time is 99 years there is also a max amount of money we can make

So you can say the max amount we can get is worth everything and the minimum is worth nothing

I can only explain that in one way
1+1 is not 2 it is 3 LOL

Not very practical but i find it funny

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Errr theve been restarted for a long time now the events.....i think were on season 11??? of the events..pretty sure..it deffo DID contribute my friend.....Lets just say for sure ....EMs dropping 2-3-4-5 billion on the floor is not helping the UO economy one bit [end]

Only if you assume that the gold to pay for those items (2-5 billion) would never be used if it was not for the EM items

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and again quite simply...why the hell are the devs not doing anything about the duping...thats still going on this week for sure...we only need look at the sphinxs to see that...and to say only 5-6 have been for sale?? ive seen that many already on one shard...and thats the public ones...
I said in the rare collectors forum

But i agree with you about duping why the hell can the devs not stop it

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
they need to can the classic client.. its the main source of scripters and im sure the bugs in it is what allows duping.
I have played UO, for 16 years, not a single break. I placed, and still own my in town luna house from 1st day Atlantic Luna existed. if the classic client were "canned" all 3 of my accounts would be closed, that day. and if the defense is "more people play enhanced anyways" no, around 75% of people on Atlantic that I have met since enhanced client was created hate it, and nearly half of those people feel the same way I do about closing their account if classic client were deleted, personally I think enhanced client looks cartoonish, undetailed, and is overall junk. but of course, some people say the same about classic, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At the end of the day it's best to just keep going as we have been.

To be human is to learn from our misstakes and try to do it better next time why can we not evolve?

It is far better to try to correct a problem than not to try at all

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only if you assume that the gold to pay for those items (2-5 billion) would never be used if it was not for the EM items

but thats each event....events run at least weekly on one or more shards...thts 2-5 billion every event..every week...

no wonder people turn to duping so they can buy the stuff....jesus...

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has to be Atlantic, right? I mean what other shard has a population that could support the buying and selling of items like you describe? 500m for a single silly item, no matter how rare, is laughable to people on most shards. You speak of things such as this as commonplace among the people you associate with... I can assure you that the vast majority of the (all shards) population considers 500m for a single piece of electron garbage as laughable..... Those of you that are billionaires do not either represent or speak for the majority of us who go about our normal UO lives totally content with a couple of mill in the bank. And we are the vast majority, no matter how vocal the half dozen here - who often wish to represent themselves as one of us. I fully expect we'll hear from them shortly..... How their ears must be burning by now... :eek:

You want real UO? Come to Siege like I did... We have the economy that all of UO had a decade or so back... 500m for a single item - lmao. Of course, you'll have a few adjustments to make... You won't be as safe at all times as you are now - but you'll soon find that the element of the unknown is what you've been missing for years now. And we have a very large population of people who don't go around killing people for fun, contrary to what you might have imagined. Many of them will be happy to assist you in acclimating here and teach you the best ways to avoid our pk population. Or, if you wish, you may become one of them... Either way, you'll love it...

Sorry, I digress from the OP... 500m for a single item is quite simply laughable.

Oh, did I mention that you can keep your house and have one on Siege too now? So, exactly what do you have to lose? Won't increase your monthly contribution to EA one iota... Come and join us and leave this prodo shard insanity to those who wish to stay a part of it... Announce yourself, if you wish, on the Siege forum here. You'll get all your questions answered.....

Represent....
Siege is an empty cesspool that consists of about 8 pvpers strutting around pretending to be hardcore all the while vendoring each others gear back after they die.

Pvp or life in general is not one bit harder or more exciting on Siege. It is simply more tedious and time consuming. Keep it

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really think rares traders have their own fairly secluded niche in the economy, and I think the impact they have on other item prices is low.

Rares will always go for relatively absurd prices, as they always have.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

As I have explained before, merely introducing a new item -- into any economy, of any scale -- does not create inflation. It is simple economic fact. That a seller can command a high price is because money is already there. That prices continually go up is because the money supply is increasing.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/economy-and-gold-update-needed.307911/page-2#post-2333326

Actually, no. You're confusing net wealth with income. If a rare item recovered at an IDOC, perhaps now the only one of its kind, is valued at 1 billion gold, it's because there's so much gold already floating around. If there's a total of 1 trillion in gold floating around, and this new item is offered for sale, the money must come from an existing, albeit growing money supply. (The exception would be if you found gold checks, which are an increase to the money supply.)

The mere act of introducing a new, highly valuable item into an economy, of any scale, causes no more inflation than a newly constructed Boeing jet causes inflation in the real world. Consider, for example, the diamond that sold at auction in Hong Kong for $30 million. That didn't cause inflation, but a continually higher price could be reflective of inflation.

Now consider that loot from an IDOC can help bring prices down, if someone finds a lot of ingots, boards or ethereal mounts, then wants to sell them quickly for gold.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon in the sense that it is and can be produced only by a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than in output." - Milton Friedman

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when tangles went for 10-12 mil on great lakes just one year ago. Crimmys sold for about 16-20. Both have increased by 50% in just the last year. Have gold prices dropped 50% in the same time? I don't keep up with the gold market, just curious.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I have explained before, merely introducing a new item -- into any economy, of any scale -- does not create inflation. It is simple economic fact. That a seller can command a high price is because money is already there. That prices continually go up is because the money supply is increasing.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/economy-and-gold-update-needed.307911/page-2#post-2333326
..... and as i explained... my friend gold is being made and put into the economy...so people are duping more gold to buy the items

i call them ''blank check drops''...The EM in my mind ....may as well just stuff 500m in 10 bags and drop the 5 billion on the floor at the event........thats how crazy it is...[Enough of this!!]...how there ears will burn indeed......winks...

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when tangles went for 10-12 mil on great lakes just one year ago. Crimmys sold for about 16-20. Both have increased by 50% in just the last year. Have gold prices dropped 50% in the same time? I don't keep up with the gold market, just curious.
yes indeed exactly to be fair...gold prices have indeed halved..hence item prices have doubled...

u will find gold price and item value = always go hand in hand...

as gold price drops.....due to more going into circulation at each event ....as good as droping 2-5 billion on the floor...then item prices will only go up...

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
..... and as i explained... my friend gold is being made and put into the economy...so people are duping more gold to buy the items

i call them ''blank check drops''...The EM in my mind ....may as well just stuff 500m in 10 bags and drop the 5 billion on the floor at the event........thats how crazy it is...[Enough of this!!]...how there ears will burn indeed......winks...
And if you bothered to read what I wrote, you would have seen that I talk about creation of gold (UO's increase of its money supply) as separate from the creation of an item itself. You're talking about them as if they're the same.

Whether people dupe gold or farm monsters is the inflationary factor, not the introduction of an item itself. If there's $100 total in an economy, and a new item is introduced that someone will spend his $5 on, that does not by itself cause inflation. But if someone mines another $5 of gold, that's inflationary.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes indeed exactly to be fair...gold prices have indeed halved..hence item prices have doubled...

u will find gold price and item value = always go hand in hand...

as gold price drops.....due to more going into circulation at each event ....as good as droping 2-5 billion on the floor...then item prices will only go up...

Explain how an event creates all this new gold.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Adding new items (products bought and sold) does not cause inflation -not in this world or any other. Inflation happens when there is too much currency trying to buy too few goods. Simplistic maybe, but that's the basics. If you add more gold relative to goods for sale, prices go up. Add more goods for sale relative to gold and prices go down. In UO, goods for sale are produced more and more slowly or not at all as time goes on. Add the fact of an increasing money supply and you have really bad inflation. Add more goods to be bought and sold or turn off the gold faucet -or some combo of both. Adding items that do not get bought and sold don't really count much.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Adding new items (products bought and sold) does not cause inflation -not in this world or any other. Inflation happens when there is too much currency trying to buy too few goods. Simplistic maybe, but that's the basics. If you add more gold relative to goods for sale, prices go up. Add more goods for sale relative to gold and prices go down. In UO, goods for sale are produced more and more slowly or not at all as time goes on. Add the fact of an increasing money supply and you have really bad inflation. Add more goods to be bought and sold or turn off the gold faucet -or some combo of both. Adding items that do not get bought and sold don't really count much.

THis is all true but the effect when the money that they spend to buy (EM items) hit the market is still the same
before EM items there was some people that had massive amounts of gold but nothing to buy
Gold that is not in use does not harm anyone or cause inflation

but when they started to spend all that gold prices sky rocket

Yes it was an illusion but we got to see just how bad it realy is

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is an empty cesspool that consists of about 8 pvpers strutting around pretending to be hardcore all the while vendoring each others gear back after they die.

Pvp or life in general is not one bit harder or more exciting on Siege. It is simply more tedious and time consuming. Keep it

So much offal from a guy that hasn't even played Siege and has not a clue about what Siege is today. You said so yourself:
My rl friend played Siege awhile back...
Your opinion is worthless since it's based on hearsay alone... Go back to your typical trolling....

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
THis is all true but the effect when the money that they spend to buy (EM items) hit the market is still the same
before EM items there was some people that had massive amounts of gold but nothing to buy
Gold that is not in use does not harm anyone or cause inflation

but when they started to spend all that gold prices sky rocket

Yes it was an illusion but we got to see just how bad it realy is

We've had "EM items" for a long time, when EMs were called Seers. They created just as many unique event items (often going to friends though that's beside the point) as they ever did.

A very high price is simply reflective of the total money supply. If it were purely a matter of players trading a finite, unchanging amount of gold amongst themselves, then it would be hard for one person to charge a million gold for anything. However, UO has always had inflation because of the ever-increasing amount of gold. Elsewhere I've mentioned a friend's silver heavy crossbow of power that was worth 25K at the time. Someone who wanted to buy that in those days could have easily macroed tailoring (selling fancy shirts to NPCs) for three hours or so.

And gold has increased by illicit means. By late 1998, when it was hard to place a small house on any shard (any character could place as many houses as the player wanted, and someone stealing or killing for a house key could keep refreshing the house as if he'd place it himself), there was one guy who kept advertising, "Buying tower, you name the price!" As I heard, he wasn't a duper himself but had friends who were.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We've had "EM items" for a long time, when EMs were called Seers. They created just as many unique event items (often going to friends though that's beside the point) as they ever did.

A very high price is simply reflective of the total money supply. If it were purely a matter of players trading a finite, unchanging amount of gold amongst themselves, then it would be hard for one person to charge a million gold for anything. However, UO has always had inflation because of the ever-increasing amount of gold. Elsewhere I've mentioned a friend's silver heavy crossbow of power that was worth 25K at the time. Someone who wanted to buy that in those days could have easily macroed tailoring (selling fancy shirts to NPCs) for three hours or so.

And gold has increased by illicit means. By late 1998, when it was hard to place a small house on any shard (any character could place as many houses as the player wanted, and someone stealing or killing for a house key could keep refreshing the house as if he'd place it himself), there was one guy who kept advertising, "Buying tower, you name the price!" As I heard, he wasn't a duper himself but had friends who were.

To have any kind of effect you need a cause gold created is not a cause (not even duped gold)
It is only when that gold is used we get an event that can have any effect (infaltion)

If what you say is true then if the national bank would print a **** load of money and store it in a bank vault (no one would ever see the money) would creat inflation

UO
The last 3 years I have noticed a raise in prices i never seen before in all my years in uo
The cause for that must be a massive injection of gold in the market

I can not say for sure EM items had anything to do with that but it is possible
it all comes down to how much gold that was not in use before EM event started and how much of that gold that got used

And I know EM events and EM items are not new you can change that for (any item that is desirable for a group of people that has nothing to buy) .... If you like

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So much offal from a guy that hasn't even played Siege and has not a clue about what Siege is today. You said so yourself:
Your opinion is worthless since it's based on hearsay alone... Go back to your typical trolling....
??

So I am wrong that many pvpers on Siege loot full suits and then place them on vendors so that they can be immediately bought back?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To have any kind of effect you need a cause gold created is not a cause (not even duped gold)
It is only when that gold is used we get an event that can have any effect (infaltion)

If what you say is true then if the national bank would print a **** load of money and store it in a bank vault (no one would ever see the money) would creat inflation
That new money will be spent or saved is a given. Thus the mere introduction of extra money into an economy is inherently inflationary. Once economic players realize that there's extra money available to them, they know they can bid up prices. Take a commodities trader who's been informed that his clients can obtain a low-interest loan to cover whatever extra it takes to secure ____, enabling him to bid an even higher price. In the real world, an increase in the money supply that's greater than demand for borrowing means that interest rates will fall.

Inflation can be a self-fulfilling prophecy when there are certain expectations. If business managers expect 2% next year, they'll adjust menu prices. When employees expect the cost of living to go up significantly (like the 1970s), they'll want raises. When a central bank monetizes government debt, it's immediately inflationary because of the extra spending beyond normal economic output. But in UO, we don't know how much new gold there is, except by what people bid.

UO
The last 3 years I have noticed a raise in prices i never seen before in all my years in uo
The cause for that must be a massive injection of gold in the market

I can not say for sure EM items had anything to do with that but it is possible
it all comes down to how much gold that was not in use before EM event started and how much of that gold that got used
Not being a huge trader, I haven't taken notice. Are you talking about absolute amounts, or a percent increase? Have you accounted for supply and demand, like with ingots to make lower-level runics? Have you compared to prices increases after AOS? (Insurance meant not losing valuable items, so players could spend gold on nicer items that they no longer had to fear losing. It wasn't a matter of PKs, but dying in a dungeon and not making it back in time.) How much is from dupers?

And I know EM events and EM items are not new you can change that for (any item that is desirable for a group of people that has nothing to buy) .... If you like
Then why did you say "before EM items"? They've been around as long as UO's had game-driven roleplay and quests.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Explain how an event creates all this new gold.
1. The EM drops 5 billion on floor ...ie 10 drops worth 500k each
2. billy no mates wants one of these items but didnt get one at the event
3 billy no mates as looked on the web and as found out how to dupe
4 billy no mates dupes 2 billion of gold [This is gold into the market!!!!!] on a trial account so hes safe...
5 billy no mates buys the em event drop ..form a rares chap that got lucky
6 billy no mates then thinks ...wow... i can dupe this too..and resell it again....
7 billy no mates dupes 10 of them and sells them all.... drip feeding them into the market claiming he got lucky at a idoc faller ..kinda standard spiel methinks for selling dupes knowadays...
8 sally no mates also wanted one of the ''all singing ,all dancing items'' but didnt get lucky either....wow theres 3 on the market at knock down price of 400m each..there getting cheaper!! by the week...weird......
9 sally no mates buys 1 billion gold from old billy no mates for real cash in dollars!!
10 sally no mates is happy now shes got the item too and some more gold to spend on the next one
11 billy no mates is even happier!!...oh yes billy no mates is one happy man..and opens another trial account.
12 sally no mates wants more and more of the all singing dancing items they look ace in her new museum....but simply as not got the gold supply ...unless she keeps buying it from billy.....so sally starts looking on the web searching 'how to dupe'.....shes hooked!!
13 freddy no mates ...as visited sally no mates ...museum and wants to start one too..etc ..etc..etc

Think i have explained that well enough for you????? [End]

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should remove all gold and checks from the game from January the 1st. Lets have a fresh start.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That new money will be spent or saved is a given. Thus the mere introduction of extra money into an economy is inherently inflationary. Once economic players realize that there's extra money available to them, they know they can bid up prices. Take a commodities trader who's been informed that his clients can obtain a low-interest loan to cover whatever extra it takes to secure ____, enabling him to bid an even higher price. In the real world, an increase in the money supply that's greater than demand for borrowing means that interest rates will fall.

Inflation can be a self-fulfilling prophecy when there are certain expectations. If business managers expect 2% next year, they'll adjust menu prices. When employees expect the cost of living to go up significantly (like the 1970s), they'll want raises. When a central bank monetizes government debt, it's immediately inflationary because of the extra spending beyond normal economic output. But in UO, we don't know how much new gold there is, except by what people bid.

Not being a huge trader, I haven't taken notice. Are you talking about absolute amounts, or a percent increase? Have you accounted for supply and demand, like with ingots to make lower-level runics? Have you compared to prices increases after AOS? (Insurance meant not losing valuable items, so players could spend gold on nicer items that they no longer had to fear losing. It wasn't a matter of PKs, but dying in a dungeon and not making it back in time.) How much is from dupers?

Then why did you say "before EM items"? They've been around as long as UO's had game-driven roleplay and quests.
The way i see it your example still have cause and effect

If you pick up a rock and trow it at your friend he will try to avoid it if you do the same thing but this time you change your mind in the last second and not trow the rock 9 times of 10 you will get a similar effect
This show me that your friends expectation that you are going to trow the rock is the cause

In uo we see this kind of cause in auctions (even if a person do not win he still alter the price)

The bank printing money was maybe a bad example
Storing money under your bed perhaps better illustrate that money that is not in use can not creat any kind of effect unless you use that money as a form of pressure

In uo everybody store money under the bed at some point

I use EM items as an example because it is a likely candidate of a delayed effect from years of inflation but EM items can never be the source of Inflation

I try to explain that even if EM items is not the source of inflation you can still put some blame at them for our gold situation See my reply in post 113

I did not write down any notes of the prices these last 3 years I do not have a time machine There is no way i can prove any of that
Realy no reply i can write to that other than OOPS
I do remember the price on some items but i could remember wrong so that is no proof

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ability to dupe should be taken out of the code, assuming EA actually knows how the duping is happening - and it wouldn't appear that they do, now does it?

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The ability to dupe should be taken out of the code, assuming EA actually knows how the duping is happening - and it wouldn't appear that they do, now does it?

I firmly believe the ability to 'dupe' things is a complete red herring. Since they corrected the ability to crash shards and duplicate character transfers - I don't believe there currently exists a reliable method to duplicate gold. I do firmly believe it has existed in the past in various shapes or forms - but I am highly skeptical it exists today. However, all the UFO chasers believe people are standing around all day duping gold.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they need to can the classic client.. its the main source of scripters and im sure the bugs in it is what allows duping.
The bugs that have allowed duping over the years are inherant in the UO code itself (server side) and the client used has 0 bearing on it.

1. The EM drops 5 billion on floor ...
1. The EM drops 10 items on the floor, 0 gold enters the system. Value is determined by collectors, gold that would pay for it already exists.
2. Many people want them, that is why they fetch high prices. Basic supply and demand.
3. You can't Google how to dupe. People with a better understanding of economics than you who figure out how to dupe don't do stupid things like plastering it all over the internet because that leads to the dupe being fixed.
4. If someone knows how to dupe, they are duping anyway. They don't need the motivation of EM items. Not to mention in your entire scenario it isn't the EMs that are creating gold, it is the dupe.
5. If dupers dupe an EM item it lowers the value of said item.

If you are going to speak about this subject please at least have a basic high school level understanding of Economics...

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bugs that have allowed duping over the years are inherant in the UO code itself (server side) and the client used has 0 bearing on it.

1. The EM drops 10 items on the floor, 0 gold enters the system. Value is determined by collectors, gold that would pay for it already exists.
2. Many people want them, that is why they fetch high prices. Basic supply and demand.
3. You can't Google how to dupe. People with a better understanding of economics than you who figure out how to dupe don't do stupid things like plastering it all over the internet because that leads to the dupe being fixed.
4. If someone knows how to dupe, they are duping anyway. They don't need the motivation of EM items. Not to mention in your entire scenario it isn't the EMs that are creating gold, it is the dupe.
5. If dupers dupe an EM item it lowers the value of said item.

If you are going to speak about this subject please at least have a basic high school level understanding of Economics...
ahhh... the truth hurts yes..ears burning etc etc etc...and please no trash talk ....high school understanding my arse......your not in 'general chat' now...save it for then ..ok

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
4 billy no mates dupes 2 billion of gold [This is gold into the market!!!!!] on a trial account so hes safe...
6 billy no mates then thinks ...wow... i can dupe this too..and resell it again....
7 billy no mates dupes 10 of them and sells them all.... drip feeding them into the market claiming he got lucky at a idoc faller ..kinda standard spiel methinks for selling dupes knowadays...
8 sally no mates also wanted one of the ''all singing ,all dancing items'' but didnt get lucky either....wow theres 3 on the market at knock down price of 400m each..there getting cheaper!! by the week...weird......
9 sally no mates buys 1 billion gold from old billy no mates for real cash in dollars!!
10 sally no mates is happy now shes got the item too and some more gold to spend on the next one
11 billy no mates is even happier!!...oh yes billy no mates is one happy man..and opens another trial account.
12 sally no mates wants more and more of the all singing dancing items they look ace in her new museum....but simply as not got the gold supply ...unless she keeps buying it from billy.....so sally starts looking on the web searching 'how to dupe'.....shes hooked!!
13 freddy no mates ...as visited sally no mates ...museum and wants to start one too..etc ..etc..etc

unfortunate .....but this is our UO of today ... the bed that as been made..the bed we have to lay in.. the Economy we have allowed to be ruined..due to the green eyed monster wanting his/her shinyies...gotta have it gotta have it...etc etc etc.....[sorry if it hurts]

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Dropping of items, regardless of how desired they are does not cause inflation. Small numbers of people having wayyyy more gold than other people can cause a niche market, but that will happen no matter how much currency is on hand and its 95% "rares" which don't effect gameplay anyway.

I know you wont move from your opinion, but there is no evidence that duping is so easy that all you have to do "look up" the method and then go to town, or so prevalent that every other player does it whenever they want to buy an item. If that were really the case there would be no game left, every valuable item would be duped all day long by tons of people. Clearly that doesn't happen.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You babbled a lot, but you still did not explain how the mere introduction of an item causes inflation. Your steps 2 through 13 are exactly what I have pointed out, what Uvtha is also pointing out: any and all inflation is caused only by the creation of new money. Whether it's duping or someone farming for gold (or selling items to NPCs in the old days), the creation of the item itself does nothing by itself. The same reason a diamond selling for $30 million, or a 787 selling for $140 million, without causing inflation, is the same reason a new EM item also doesn't cause inflation. There is inflation only when the money supply increases. Think I have explained that well enough for you?

And while I don't deny the existence of duping, if it were really so easy, then the market would be flooded with everything.