• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA wanted to shut down UO -- Mythic saves UO.

• Thread starter UOPODCASTING.COM
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
U

UOPODCASTING.COM

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160278

Mark Jacobs is having a rant, the little gem is the following:

, blamed for the state UO is in (except that EA wanted to shut down UO when they gave it to us but I convinced them to spend more money on the game),

I think the signs were clear at one stage that UO looked doomed, however lately the development effort seems to have returned and now you know why.

Cheers
Shane

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160278

Mark Jacobs is having a rant, the little gem is the following:

, blamed for the state UO is in (except that EA wanted to shut down UO when they gave it to us but I convinced them to spend more money on the game),

I think the signs were clear at one stage that UO looked doomed, however lately the development effort seems to have returned and now you know why.

Cheers
Shane
Of course.. that dont suprise me at all...

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh man this is why I love WAR. The developers are so ****ing good, between the daily hotfixes and patches, I can hardly find a flaw in the game apart from balance issues which are to be expected. Mark Jacobs is wearing his heart on his sleeve trying to defend WAR.

blamed for the state UO is in
This comment strikes me. It leads me to believe that even the developers of UO think that the game is in a horrible state.

F

Fink

blamed for the state UO is in
This comment strikes me. It leads me to believe that even the developers of UO think that the game is in a horrible state.
I'm sure behind the company veneer, many of the devs are overwrought at the state of UO. I doubt many people who work there clock on, clock off, and leave the job at the office.

Coming from a graphics development background - and even if I never played this game - I'd be pretty well ashamed to be linked to a product in the state of UO. I've worked on some low-buck shockers and basically it boiled down to not having the backing of a major studio to a) pay the wages and b) ensure certain production values or standards. Mythic supposedly has or is this support for the UO team & it's not showing through in the product. We'll see what SA brings, but I'm not holding my breath for a chrysalis-like rebirth of UO.

S

Sunrise

Some day this great game is going to end. Could be tomorrow or could be 10 years from now.

If people keep PAYING to PLAY and the game does make a profit once its all said and done..then guess what...Here it will say. Once it stops making a profit it will end.

Im to the point to where I stop listing to the doomdayers...that said it would end after aos and after this publish etc etc. Im having fun, but keeping my eyes open for when the end does come...and the pixles just become fading memories in me mind.

I do say have a back up plan. Take screen shots. Take many screen shots of the hunts and the good times of the game we spend hours on playing.

Keep in contact with friends by email and so forth. For you never know. The list of friends I have lost over the years..and the new friends I have now and making daily. I have learned from my mistakes...and now have the info to stay in contact with them God Forbid something should happen. With the game or with real life.

Thats all there is to say. :D :eyes:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some day this great game is going to end. Could be tomorrow or could be 10 years from now.

If people keep PAYING to PLAY and the game does make a profit once its all said and done..then guess what...Here it will say. Once it stops making a profit it will end.
Nah, not really. Even if EA canceled it tomorrow it would live on due to demand. Keep in mind, there is estimated to be far more people playing some form of UO for free, on free shards, than there is that play on the 'OSI shards' as they are still called.

Im to the point to where I stop listing to the doomdayers...
I reached that point in 1998... a couple of months after I started playing. People have been predicting the demise of UO since before it launched.