• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

durability help pls

F

Fumoffu

From UO Guide:

"There is a chance while repairing an item that its Maximum Durability will be decreased by 1 point.

* When the Current Durability of an item is below 40% of the item's Maximum Durability, a Grandmaster level repairer or below has a chance to cause the item's Maximum Durability to be decreased by 1 point.
* When the Current Durability of an item is below 20% of the item's Maximum Durability, a Legendary level repairer or below has a chance to cause the item's Maximum Durability to be decreased by 1 point. "

Are these the only two ways that the max durability can go down by a point or can it also have a random chance of going down.

I have a soul seeker and Fey leggings and it seems that my durability using a legendary repair service contract went down in durability by one point even though my durability was something like ~240/255 or something when I repaired it.

How is that possible? :blushing:

B

Beer_Cayse

If you repair something that reads 240/255 and you lose a point of durability the repaired item should show 254/254. and you could theoretically repair a 254/255 item, lose a point and thus end up with 254/254.

Even when not using deeds a legendary crafter can lose some durability from an item when repairing. I'd suggest not repairing these until you're somewhere in the 40% of total durability.

For the SS that would mean repairing when durability is about 100.

F

Fumoffu

Ah ok, thanks, i've always been repairing everything very often, but yeah i'll wait till it drops to 40% now. :D

Thanks

B

Beer_Cayse

the 40% number is what I used to use ... if you're skittish about letting it get that low, set some reasonable number you are happy with. Just be darn careful to not let it get to zero!

That goes for armor as well. My paladin had an all-70s barbed suit he was REALLY careful to keep repaired but he almost lost the sleeves one time due to missing it in checks.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From UO Guide:

"There is a chance while repairing an item that its Maximum Durability will be decreased by 1 point.

* When the Current Durability of an item is below 40% of the item's Maximum Durability, a Grandmaster level repairer or below has a chance to cause the item's Maximum Durability to be decreased by 1 point.
* When the Current Durability of an item is below 20% of the item's Maximum Durability, a Legendary level repairer or below has a chance to cause the item's Maximum Durability to be decreased by 1 point. "

Are these the only two ways that the max durability can go down by a point or can it also have a random chance of going down.

I have a soul seeker and Fey leggings and it seems that my durability using a legendary repair service contract went down in durability by one point even though my durability was something like ~240/255 or something when I repaired it.

How is that possible? :blushing:
It's best to let the item wear down to 50 or whatever you can...key word here, afford to let it go down to. Once it wears down far, you can then repair it. 40 is a nice marker number in my opinion. I have my own tailor/smith and what have you though. That said, you let it wear down, THEN you repair it.

Once the overall durability wears down to 100 or so, that is 100/100, it is a nice time to use powder to increase the durability. I always bump the item back up to around 250/250.

Those things said, you will at times come across old school items. Some of these will be quite superb weapons. I have a few myself. These you won't want to use much unless you want their overall durability to set back to 255. I say that since I have a war fork for example that has durability of close to 600.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also, due to the nature of the repair contracts, Repair Deeds have a MUCH GREATER chance of causing a point loss than having a crafter do the repair himself.

It's been that way, and stated as intended, since repair deeds were introduced. It was meant to encourage a player to either have their own crafter, or develop bonds with crafter players they could trust, to do repairs, but didn't actually succeed much in either (even most people with crafters will use deeds on their non-crafters' stuff, simply for convenience).

With Imbuing, this may bevome more of an issue, since imbued items can no longer be powdered, IIRC. And, you should always repair the spawn-drop replicas with a crafter, not a deed, as a result.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the way I do it:

If I have a very good item (which I will most likely keep for a long time), I'll make a dungeon hunt until I have gathered 40,000, buy a Powder of Fortification and use the 10 charges on the item.

I never repair my items before they're below 15 durability. If I go on a longer adventure, I check my armor beforehand and repair everything that is most likely going to drop to 0.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I go on a longer adventure, I check my armor beforehand and repair everything that is most likely going to drop to 0.
Good point. I lost a few items when I first started due to not having a habit of doing this. Now I always do the same thing.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's best to let the item wear down to 50 or whatever you can...key word here, afford to let it go down to. Once it wears down far, you can then repair it. 40 is a nice marker number in my opinion. I have my own tailor/smith and what have you though. That said, you let it wear down, THEN you repair it.

Once the overall durability wears down to 100 or so, that is 100/100, it is a nice time to use powder to increase the durability. I always bump the item back up to around 250/250.

Those things said, you will at times come across old school items. Some of these will be quite superb weapons. I have a few myself. These you won't want to use much unless you want their overall durability to set back to 255. I say that since I have a war fork for example that has durability of close to 600.

also do NOT use poweder on anything above 255 even if it has gone down from what it was made from..

if you have one of the old dull copper ones with more then 255 durability and use poweder on it.. it will go to 255 automatically.