• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dumb VvV Question I Have

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this will probably sound dumb, but I'm going to ask anyway.

If you're a small, unallied guild, is there any point to participating in VvV if the most active PvP guilds on your shard that have joined VvV usually roll with larger numbers in VvV than your guild? Is it even possible to get any points if that is the situation you consistently find yourselves in during VvV battles?

I guess I'm kind of confused between some stuff I'm hearing about how on some shards some guilds are able to get the progress bar to halfway full in their favor within 1 or 2 minutes after a battle starts and something Promathia explained last week when I asked about a message I kept seeing on TC1 saying a town was unoccupied during a battle even though I saw people running around. He said, "It says its unoccupied because no single guild outnumbers the other, thus claiming points for being in the battle zone AKA you cancel each other out. It still shows you the top 3 guilds on the VvV gump, and if you were to kill your opponents and claim guild superiority in the zone, it would then begin to announce your guild is claiming the territory." http://stratics.com/community/threads/uo-com-publish-86-3-on-tc1.321386/page-5#post-2433643

So if you know you will be consistently outnumbered, should you even get into VvV?

Sorry it's a dumb question. I'm sure there are probably a million ways to answer it, but I'm just wondering if the reality is that if you're severely outnumbered you really shouldn't even bother. Thanks for any constructive thoughts people might have on the issue.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have spotted a great flaw in their system, there is no point in even turning up if you have 5 players and the other side has 10.
If you can stall them at the altar, and not let them get too many kill points, you can still beat them by finding/turning in sigils.

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If you can stall them at the altar, and not let them get too many kill points, you can still beat them by finding/turning in sigils.
but if like many guilds who are running 2-3 stealthers you wont be able to move without the other side knowing what your up to. I feel the whole VvV thing will fade away with lack of interest and only be used occasionally similar to the PvP arenas they put in to the game.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, James and Ru, for the feedback.

Do you think it could be helpful for small guilds to be allied with other small guilds if they are going to be up against guilds that are running with larger numbers? I'm not familiar enough with the way the "cancelling each other out" aspect of things works for the "occupying the city" points calculation to figure out if that would make things more feasible for a small guild.

As an example, let's say Guild A from Alliance XYZ shows up with 3 people and Guild B from Alliance XYZ shows up with 3 people, putting 6 people from Alliance XYZ in the city. Then Guild BIG shows up with 5 people.

Will Guild BIG be "cancelled out" of "occupying" the city because Alliance XYZ has 6 people in the city, compared to Guild BIG's 5 people?

Or is Guild BIG going to be credited with "occupying" the city because they have 2 more people than Guild A and also 2 more people than Guild B?

If alliances are going to matter for something like this, then I think it will be important for the search.uo.com site to soon provide information showing that a guild is in an alliance with other guilds, like the old guild search feature showed.

EDITED TO ADD: Also, do you know if the points for "occupying" the city are awarded first before anything else? It looks like points for killing the enemy have a lag and if the sigil doesn't spawn right away, points for returning that would also come later.

Last edited:

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another dumb question: Do ghosts count for purposes of occupying a city?
Good response! HAHAHA!

IMO VvV is meant to increase the PVP aspect of this game so only large guilds will be able to survive and do battle. This is another clever way to create the need for big guilds by making that idea more attractive, rather than have solo players or small guilds in UO as in Trammel.

The developers/programmers are taking UO back to original old world BvR =
- - - Blues versus Reds

Those days were fun but not suitable for soloist and honest craftspeople, or pvm players, Thus Trammel came into being and wasn't expected to survive. All the players took haven in Trammel. That emptied the new called felucca lands of victims.

Hmm. Why am I explaining all this to everyone who knows it all, already? Why? Because having played this game, first all solo games plus 17 years since UO went on line, I am that much older so am allowed to talk about history repeating itself.

"When I was young, things were different . Back then I was always a ghost - - Let me tell you about a time when - - ":banana:

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina,

You have asked a good question in order to raise an issue. Your concern is that there will be one strong guild/alliance as that is the best way to get silver points. However rest assured on Europa, I can assure you, people's hatred for me far outweighs their desire for silver points.

The in game politics will and does run itself, I'm currently happy with the VvV system (apart from all the bugs which I'm sure the devs are frantically scurrying around to fix) There is an awful lot of action on Europa that I've not seen before. The system is working.