• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Doom Rat

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm considering building what I call a "Doom Rat" character. Basically, my plan is to get him setup and into Doom and then leave him there. He'll be able to get gold into his bank box through buying and selling with Nix. As for items, He'll need to scavange off the monsters. So I'm looking for something where i can be effective while not requiring big equipment setups (like 100% LRC).

So my thought was to do a bard. As long as I have an instrument, I should be able to get into the mix. I can get regs as necessary through Nix and corpses. So this is the template I was thinking about:

120 Musicianship
120 Discordance
120 Provocation
120 Magery
120 Meditiation
120 Evaluate Intelligence

I was also toying with the idea of dropping Evaluate Intel (which neuters his offensive mage capability except for EV/EE summons) and replacing it with something. Some ideas where Chivalry (to help me stay alive) or Inscription (means to make money). The problem with Chiv is that I'll need a shrine to tithe (or 100% LRC which is doubtful on my scavanged suit) and inscription doesn't really give me any offensive or defensive bonus compared to eval int. I'd consider resisting spells as a means to protect myself, but I don't think that outweighs the benefit of Eval Int. And, thought I didn't mention it, I could switch Discordance with Peacemaking if you think it will be better, but I think the fun of Doom will be to disco the bosses to assist with the provoked monsters (and other players) winning the engagement.

Anyway, what do you all recommend for a "Doom Rat" type character? Am I on the right trail with this idea? Or am I completely forgetting something that makes leaving a toon in the Gauntlet a really bad idea.

-OBSIDIAN-

5% Luck

Well my doom bard is very simlar to your but i hardly think hes an inexpensive char to run.

The main thing youll need is an Iolo's Lute. demon/undead slayer. This is what makes provoking on the DF posible. Dont get me wrong you can do it without one but this addsa 20% chance to succed and on rotten corpes this is a must!.

Then you have the problem of the 2nd room. These guys seem easy but on a mage/bard there is very little you can do except count on very high MR. Its basicaly earth ele after earth ele for 20+ mins untill its dead. I bring the +3 MR mage book from the invasions and swap in a pendant just to keep up with the mana demads. Not to mention a HoM and crystal ring+3 more MR on the rest of the suit.

The next thing is the LRC. Nix is just like any npc that sells regs. It starts at 20 then theres a 15 mins timer and then 40 another wait period then 80 will spawn on up to 999. But that being the case id say 100% LRC is a must! If youve got a good group in there this is where the LRC realy cojmes into play. The only what your going to get looting rights is to do direct damage spells through out the fight(DF not included) with a slayer spell book. Some of these sampiers that go to doom outdamage me by tons without one so a slayer book is mandotory.

Next thing to mention is the skill + items. It doesnt seem like you planing on using any. I have a full extra gm on my templat. I chose scribery. Resist may be better but i love the scribe suit mods and the SDI. I locked my discord at 105 and use a 15 ring my magery at GM and use the cyrstal ring and have a +25 skill braclet for music/provoke. Gm eval med and scrbe.(look under OKO i found a new gm skill thread for details)

I have to say this is one of the funest chars ive ever had the pleasure to run in any game ever. Infact I just got a tunic of fire this moring WOOT!

S

Seismic

I get looting rights on my bard .. he's been a doom rat before. I run a 1000 luck suit with 100% LRC, 20% LMC, some MR (not much) .. no slayer spellbooks since I don't have Eval Int. I use EE's primarily and sometimes EVs for a few rooms.

I run out of mana often but the provoke on the DF makes up for it :).

Honestly, I get about the same drop rate as my ABC archer .. it really is a toss up. If I had a better suit (less luck), I may enjoy the bard better. I now use the bard to amass daemon bones for gold skulls.

I also use a GM instrument - didn't consider Iolo's lute. I don't have 145k gold a pop to consider it. Unless they can somehow be recharged? UOGuide doesn't say this..

BTW, Peace has saved my rear countless times (area peace)..

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Seismic -- why do you say all that luck is useless in Doom for a bard?

S

Seismic

Seismic -- why do you say all that luck is useless in Doom for a bard?
Well .. I haven't increased my drop rate for artifacts .. and if I have, it isn't noticeable. I suppose it is good for better ring/bracelet magical properties but my ABC archer can get artifacts as frequently as my bard..

I guess it's a wash for me .. play the bard in doom or play the abc archer! I built the archer hoping it would be better but it isn't :(.

Plus with all my luck, I run out of mana SUPER fast.. really sucks. I gotta active med constantly... Totem of the Void is helping but still!! It's VERY costly to build a bard luck suit with 100% LRC, some LMC, MR .. 100 luck per piece .. REALLY $$

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice template, a bit expencive thou. If u can live with 115 eval/magery/med
There is your'e 20mill to buy a suit :) sad but true those are the most costly ps'es in youre template. I did sense you didnt have a 200 mill budget. and it will work just fine. And no You dont wanna get rid of eval, get a couple of slayer books, and a plain scrappers.U might consider getting some of those tot instruments, they are kinda nice.
Good hunt.

5% Luck

I get looting rights on my bard .. he's been a doom rat before. I run a 1000 luck suit with 100% LRC, 20% LMC, some MR (not much) .. no slayer spellbooks since I don't have Eval Int. I use EE's primarily and sometimes EVs for a few rooms.

I run out of mana often but the provoke on the DF makes up for it :).

Honestly, I get about the same drop rate as my ABC archer .. it really is a toss up. If I had a better suit (less luck), I may enjoy the bard better. I now use the bard to amass daemon bones for gold skulls.

I also use a GM instrument - didn't consider Iolo's lute. I don't have 145k gold a pop to consider it. Unless they can somehow be recharged? UOGuide doesn't say this..

BTW, Peace has saved my rear countless times (area peace)..
I can understand where your coming from with peace saving ya but OMG i can see un doing all the work with a simple macro mistake. I did that a few times befor i droped the peace OPPS.

Anyhow If ya can get a 70s suit with 200 luck and 5-10 MR for your bard you will out preform the archer in a small group to solo. But in a larger group i would say the archer will out preform ANY other template.

S

Seismic

Would you suggest I stone peace and take on eval, maybe? Or SW?

5% Luck

Would you suggest I stone peace and take on eval, maybe? Or SW?
Without 120 SW its kinda usless so I have GM eval and a 10 eval scrappers(110). I realy enjoy the extra damage and it makes this char usable in "other"situations.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks all for your comments. It looks like the consensus is that the template I first suggested is viable, though items will certainly play a part.

I have a question on the Doom drops. Do you get "credit" as a top 10 damager for each monster when you successfully discord the boss and stay within range? I'm surprised by the comments saying the archer gets the same drop rate as the bard. I can't think of any way the bard would keep up otherwise in damage output. Seems to me the bard must be getting partial credit for the archer's (and everyone else's) damage due to the discord. Or is a bard still only credited for the damge they cause from provoked monsters or direct damage spells?

Thanks all!

-OBSIDIAN-

S

Seismic

Thanks all for your comments. It looks like the consensus is that the template I first suggested is viable, though items will certainly play a part.

I have a question on the Doom drops. Do you get "credit" as a top 10 damager for each monster when you successfully discord the boss and stay within range? I'm surprised by the comments saying the archer gets the same drop rate as the bard. I can't think of any way the bard would keep up otherwise in damage output. Seems to me the bard must be getting partial credit for the archer's (and everyone else's) damage due to the discord. Or is a bard still only credited for the damge they cause from provoked monsters or direct damage spells?

Thanks all!

-OBSIDIAN-
As far as I know, you get credit for provokes that are not "re-provoked" by someone else and all damage by summons.

You don't get any damage credit for discord. In fact, don't even bother disco'ing the DF or any Doom bosses UNLESS it is maybe 2-3 people and yourself. Primarily due to failures with GM instruments - unless you have a daemon slayer?

I stopped disco'ing the DF .. the failures got on my nerves. Why disco him when I could be provoking rotting corpses, lich lords, etc on him during that time? That is more important, especially in a group..

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just looking thru old posts and found this thread, and I just finished re-suiting my Doom Rat.

I have done Doom on and off since day one. I have used Archers, Mages, Tamers, Bards and even an alchemist Mule down there. My current build is by far the most fun I have had. I can solo the entire guantlet with little trouble.

Here is my template:
Lore - 110 (+5 tally)
Taming - 105 (+5 from tally) raising to 110
Vet - 90 raising to 100
Music - 120
Provo - 120 (+15 bracelet)
Disco - 120 (+5 Bracelet)
Magery - 110.x (+15 Book, +14 ring) lowering

This makes the rooms really easy, just Discord and sick GDragon on Boss.

The Dark Father was a little more of a problem. Everything would target the dragon and although I can provoke onto the DF, it can get time consuming and messy. I also needed to heal the dragon, all the withers made vet a bad option. I needed mana for GHeals.

So, I changed out of my Suit (had over 1000 luck). I instead went for a suit that was 100 LRC and as much mana regen as I could get. I think I got 12 onto the suit. The resists are crappy, all in the 40's and 50's, but I can stand back and GHeal my Drag, works great. Also managed to squeeze 35 LMC into the suit.

TheChocolits

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My provo mage blends well with a crowd.

Here are my skills:
Music 100
Provoc 120
Magery 120
Eval 120
Meditation 120
Necro 50
Spirit Speak 50
Spellweaving 40

No Luck suit, (still able to get 2arties in 3-4rounds last time). Wearing 100%Lrc, all mana regen and lower mana cost suit. Using slayer books.

Further elaboration of my chosen skills:
Music & Provo: Used to provoc the lil ones onto DF, of course.
Necro & SS: Summon shadow wisps, Wraith form, Corpse skin, Evil omen.
Spellweaving: Arcane Empowerment, Gift of renewal (helps boost ur hp when u hit DF though short lived still alil useful.)
Magery, Eval, Med: FS all the way, need not say more.:D

Welp, that's pretty much it, easy to live on, but the downside is that its risky doing it solo, best work with a melee warrior or tamers around, like a said blends well in crowds. :p

Good Luck.

S

SwordBlaze

Here is my class (real skill is in parenthesis)

Musicianship: 120 (105) +5 Tali and +10 Mark
Discordance: 120 (120)
Provocation: 120 (105) +5 Tali and +10 Mark
Peacemaking: 120 (120)
Magery: 120 (85) +15 Tome Lost Knowldge and +20 Crystalline
Meditation: 120 (120)
Focus: 75 (55) +20 Crystalline

I've got +13 mana regen with my suit, 100% lrc, 2/5 casting and a bunch of other mods.

I have a crap load of mana regen 13 with items + 12 with med + 3 with focus.
I solo Doom with this guy. I have trash resists but rarely get hit.