• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does size really matter?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't want to jack the New Magincia house auction thread with this more than we already have :) As most know I have a lot of houses that range from 7x7s up to the island keep. These houses each serve a specific purpouse, but I find myself spending more time at the smaller houses, even more so after the overland loot change since I can hunt quality loot right off the porch of most of the houses and unravel it for relic frags just a few steps away. At some of the smaller houses I can easily farm 300k per hour between gold drops, relic fragments and the occasional good major or legendary arti. Of course different critters drop different loot properties or atleast I believe this to be true, as I have found some critters drop a lot of splintering weapons and never some of the other properties. Anyway things like that contribute to my decissions as to where to locate a house. Some like the Zento Mountain house serve as the Skill Bank and Garden center simply because I can't fit that many raised beds and soul stones into anything less than a 18x18, the malas mining house is a 18x18 simply because there is not another active house any where near it, the Island Keep and 2 houses beside it are just my little secluded colony and serves as a hub to to all of the other houses. One of the things I enjoy most in UO is my housing strategy and the public service or profit potential each house has. I make several of the better hunt houses public because I know folks in general don't want to place a small house in these locations but enjoy farming these locations or mining at them.

I guess the real question is do you go for the Castles, Keeps, Towers and 18x18s, the closest spots to towns or moongates or place your house (S) in remote locations with thick spawn or resouces? Do you have a housing strategy or just plop one down and call it home? I know several folks have multiple accounts and some have even more active accounts than me, do you guys with a lot of accounts do something simliar as me in locating your houses or shoot for holding prime real estate?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't want to jack the New Magincia house auction thread with this more than we already have :) As most know I have a lot of houses that range from 7x7s up to the island keep. These houses each serve a specific purpouse, but I find myself spending more time at the smaller houses, even more so after the overland loot change since I can hunt quality loot right off the porch of most of the houses and unravel it for relic frags just a few steps away. At some of the smaller houses I can easily farm 300k per hour between gold drops, relic fragments and the occasional good major or legendary arti. Of course different critters drop different loot properties or atleast I believe this to be true, as I have found some critters drop a lot of splintering weapons and never some of the other properties. Anyway things like that contribute to my decissions as to where to locate a house. Some like the Zento Mountain house serve as the Skill Bank and Garden center simply because I can't fit that many raised beds and soul stones into anything less than a 18x18, the malas mining house is a 18x18 simply because there is not another active house any where near it, the Island Keep and 2 houses beside it are just my little secluded colony and serves as a hub to to all of the other houses. One of the things I enjoy most in UO is my housing strategy and the public service or profit potential each house has. I make several of the better hunt houses public because I know folks in general don't want to place a small house in these locations but enjoy farming these locations or mining at them.

I guess the real question is do you go for the Castles, Keeps, Towers and 18x18s, the closest spots to towns or moongates or place your house (S) in remote locations with thick spawn or resouces? Do you have a housing strategy or just plop one down and call it home? I know several folks have multiple accounts and some have even more active accounts than me, do you guys with a lot of accounts do something simliar as me in locating your houses or shoot for holding prime real estate?
I have been wishing they would change storage so that every house has the same storage for years. I like a big house, but you can't be nearly as flexible with where you put it which is really annoying. There are a ton of cool spots for small houses, but I feel like I don't want to lose out on the space.

I bought my Zento house because I was doing vendoring at the time and wanted a good spot, plus Zento is my favorite city. I sometimes have a house on my second account which is usually inactive, but not always, and that house moves around to whatever area seems nice.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't relate to the "profit" part of your thread, I simply play UO for relaxation and entertainment. I've always been for max storage on any house size. I would absolutely have a 7x7 on every account I own.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I choose closest to my home city and a moongate and close to a road for vendor traffic. I prefer a larger house so I'll up and move if I come across a bigger plot with the same or better attributes.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Does size really matter?" Well... Errr... Ohh! UO Housing.... Ok... *changes answer*

I have had Castles, Keeps, Towers in the past on Siege. Usually I find the larger classical housing get old (I hate running to different rooms or floors for items) and I and have migrated to any the customizable shapes that have enough storage for my needs. But then again, I'm not too much into Deco. It depends on how much stuff a person hordes away.

For Siege, I like my house next to the Umbra border. Close running distance to a city/moongate/bank if I am too lazy to cast a gate. Others can shop from the guard zone if they need something from a vendor.

I think the recent Siege New Magincia house auction shows that "location/placement" beats pure "size".

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If I could have same storage in a 18x18, as in a castle, I would be happy to give up my castle. There are large parts of my castle I don't use because it take a lot of running to get there. My raised beds do take a lot space but they could easy be in a 18x18 and I would still have room for crafting and relax rooms

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't relate to the "profit" part of your thread, I simply play UO for relaxation and entertainment. I've always been for max storage on any house size. I would absolutely have a 7x7 on every account I own.
Just to be clear I am talking about in game profit, not pixel to RL profit. Part of playing this game is to aquire items or the gold to aquire items. So when I speak of profitable I am speaking in terms of locations that offer spawn that is worthwhile to kill, provides a challenge and training and contributes to my gold coffers. Being broke in UO sucks almost as much as being broke IRL :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been wishing they would change storage so that every house has the same storage for years. I like a big house, but you can't be nearly as flexible with where you put it which is really annoying. There are a ton of cool spots for small houses, but I feel like I don't want to lose out on the space.

I bought my Zento house because I was doing vendoring at the time and wanted a good spot, plus Zento is my favorite city. I sometimes have a house on my second account which is usually inactive, but not always, and that house moves around to whatever area seems nice.
I am in complete agreement with you on this one. The account should have the storage not the house that the account owns. The big houses for my purpouses are good primarily for using multi tile add ons enmass and for folks that get into a lot of deco. We all pay pretty much the same sub fee and IMO should all have the same house storage.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BTW not knocking anyone or their personal choices in housing :) Just curious as to folks views on where, size and purpose.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am in complete agreement with you on this one. The account should have the storage not the house that the account owns. The big houses for my purpouses are good primarily for using multi tile add ons enmass and for folks that get into a lot of deco. We all pay pretty much the same sub fee and IMO should all have the same house storage.
Wow. I'd be rocking a 10x10 in some really nice location if that were the case. I hate to deco so I could fill my cube with chests and stick a vendor on the roof. XD

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the storage went to the account, i'd be living in Villas, small marble workshops and small stone towers. i love those designs the best and as far as location, it doesn't really matter to me because i will run wherever i need to, plus i have many tele tile sets, :D

Troop_Gil

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I prefer larger houses to the small ones. It's not even a matter of storage space but I think it goes back many years when I was new to UO and there was no way for me to obtain a large house.

Retlaw of Vesper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over the years I've also owned from 7x7 to Castle. Larger homes are great for the storage, but I'd rather have something smaller in better location if that was no longer a factor. Smaller also is easier to decorate for me, without looking like your rares collection exploded anyhow.
On Siege I do own a keep, but also a smaller house in very secluded area near resources needed at the time to level my crafter.
Production I own a max storage custom holding years of junk, but also a 9x8 which has great location for my Pocket Pub.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the storage went to the account, i'd be living in Villas, small marble workshops and small stone towers. i love those designs the best and as far as location, it doesn't really matter to me because i will run wherever i need to, plus i have many tele tile sets, :D
I love the 2 story villa design probably my favorite and they fit well in a lot of good locations. Also Like the lay out of Towers and they also often fit in places you would not expect one to fit. They also don't invoke as much running as a keep or castle :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If the storage went to the account, i'd be living in Villas, small marble workshops and small stone towers.
I too would like that. if there was a max storage for houses on the account, we could changes house rules so you could own one of 3 options:

1.) One house only: Max size castle or keep 100% storage in the house
2.) Two Houses: Max size house 1.: Large classic (not keep and castle)/large customized house. Max size house 2.: small classic/small customized house. 66% in house 1 and 34% in house 2
3.) Three houses: Max size on all 3: small classic/customized houses. 34% storage in house 1 and 33% in each of house 2 and 3

Some like to live in one large house, others like to have a crafting/vendor house, a house near spawn and maybe a house near water.

Some may want to place on different shards, in that case, the storage would follow the houses.
So if someone have a dirt plot on Siege, they do not use, it would stop them for having max storage on their main shard.

Thegirlyouloved2hate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

It does...

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The spot I finally settled with on Siege is the peninsula just east of Brit. Placed an 18x18 on its end between woods and water, looks very nice and secluded. I did this because I wanted my Siege house to be in the original land, so no Malas, and Siege became my "vacation" shard from Atlantic. After having some frustration there with a groupI have played with for years, I just needed a spot to take a break from everyone and settle down. This place is perfect.being near towns or moon gate is the last thing I want. My goal has always been to have a castle or keep on UO, but I've become very happy with this spot away from everyone.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Now NeXT step is, to make your house on Atlantic to your "vacations" house and Siege to your primary shard :D

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ha! I just logged in to edit my post to say that the vacation shard had become my primary shard, but you beat me to it Freja. Currently I just go back to train pets from time to time. In the far off day when I can control a greater, cu, etc on Siege it will REALLY be challenging for me to spend much time in the ATL.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
YES! When I can make my own Bovine Slayers the Cattle of Siege will truly fear me!!!
I did not see a mailbox at your home in zento with all the skill stones. i will try to meet up with you to deliver it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't afford more than one mail box :( I will move the one at the keep to the Zento house, My online time is not going to be real stable for the next couple weeks.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mail Box locked down on the Zento porch now :) You need anything in return for the recipe?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mail Box locked down on the Zento porch now :) You need anything in return for the recipe?
no sir, and the mailboxes are now available through cleanup for 1000 cleanup points. i'll drop one of them off too :p

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I just dropped my custom home last night and replaced it with a classic design with the same storage limits. I found a few spots where I could have placed a much larger home, but unfortunately they just seemed a little too far outside of town or too long of walk to the moongate.

By the way, learned a valuable lesson last night. You can drop a home with chests that are not secured or locked down and they should drop right outside the house if immediately place right away in the same location. Unfortunately, only 1 of 9 chests dropped outside the house successfully for me. So, the lesson learned is: Unless you want to start over completely with nothing but the clothes on your back.. just do the leg work and move everything out of the house before you demolish and replace. :oops:

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Spyder, I did something similar recently and half of my chests ended up hidden under the stairs infront of new plot. They were only visible from shifting, so would be easy to overlook.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spyder, I did something similar recently and half of my chests ended up hidden under the stairs infront of new plot. They were only visible from shifting, so would be easy to overlook.
Yah. I checked. Its a one story with just a ladder and I wasn't to find anything even checking multiple object handles. I put a gm request in last night, but we all know how well that works. Anyways, I chalked it up as another "doh" moment in my long UO career and am looking at as Spring Cleaning. XD