• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does race matter?

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've decided to give Ultima Online a try - haven't played for about 15 years. My question is - does race matter? I've created a Gargoyle Samurai (I heard that it's best to start as melee to build up gold, although at the end I'd like to be a spellcaster), but all the armor I've found so far outside of Haven doesn't fit Gargoyles. Should I start over as a Human or Elf?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main benefit of Gargoyles is you never need to have a mount, because they can "fly." Aside from that, when you do find Gargoyle armor, the resists are usually going to be much higher than the resists for a Human/Elven item.

I can see how the initial armor search will be difficult. Try Vendor Search if you have some gold to throw around, otherwise, what are your skills at? You might want to move to Shame LVL 1.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What is Vendor Search? That didn't exist when I last played :). I only just started - played maybe an hour. I hadn't decided if I was doing the right thing starting as a Samurai - was also considering Ninja. Probably doesn't matter, since I just intend to get used to the game and save up the money to be a spellcaster (either Mage Mystic or Mage Necromancer, probably).

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Humans = Jack of All Trades, higher max weight, Passive 2 HP Regen and then some resource gather garbage.
Elves = 75 Energy Resist cap (Normal is 70), +20 Mana, Passive Detect + Harder to track, More garbage resource gathering.
Gargoyles = Flight, Passive 2 MP regen, Bonus 5% HCI, Garbage Berserk and Resource Gather bonus from Unravel.

Basically, have a template that needs more MP and an elf suit? Roll an Elf.
Need to run around at mounted speed without wasting a pet control slot (Or want to be a thrower)? Roll a Garg.
Plan on being a total badass and not conforming to garbage races? Human all the way.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is Vendor Search? That didn't exist when I last played :). I only just started - played maybe an hour. I hadn't decided if I was doing the right thing starting as a Samurai - was also considering Ninja. Probably doesn't matter, since I just intend to get used to the game and save up the money to be a spellcaster (either Mage Mystic or Mage Necromancer, probably).
If you use the context menu on your character sprite (usually shift LEFT click on self, or depending on settings, just a regular LEFT click -- oops :D), you will find Vendor Search as an option. From there, you get access to all of the player vendors in game, and might be able to track down starter gear for your Gargoyle. Otherwise, you would need to get around 70s in combat skills and move somewhere else for better loot, such as Shame LVL 1.

If you want to be a mage, though...hm...will have to think about that one in a moment.

Last edited:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I left click myself to get up the context menu.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://i60.***********/2a7dh75.png
context menu in full glory...and my neighbor, the ogre :(

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Humans = Jack of All Trades, higher max weight, Passive 2 HP Regen and then some resource gather garbage.
Elves = 75 Energy Resist cap (Normal is 70), +20 Mana, Passive Detect + Harder to track, More garbage resource gathering.
Gargoyles = Flight, Passive 2 MP regen, Bonus 5% HCI, Garbage Berserk and Resource Gather bonus from Unravel.

Basically, have a template that needs more MP and an elf suit? Roll an Elf.
Need to run around at mounted speed without wasting a pet control slot (Or want to be a thrower)? Roll a Garg.
Plan on being a total badass and not conforming to garbage races? Human all the way.
So I guess race does matter? I don't really have a template in mind - I just picked Gargoyle because I thought they looked cool.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I guess race does matter? I don't really have a template in mind - I just picked Gargoyle because I thought they looked cool.
It doesnt REALLY matter... but it kind of does. I personally would just play what you want to play, you wont be noticeably less effective in the end. The main difference before you can craft your own stuff is where to get gear. Human stuff drops everywhere but its 100% human stuff in the old world, Garg stuff in the Abyss/Underworld/Ter Mur overland, Elf stuff in any of the Mondain's legacy areas like the Blighed grove or the Twisted Weald.

Gargs can only use garg stuff, Elves can wear human and elf stuff, Humans can only wear human stuff, but can use Elvin weapons.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most people dont do garg for melee because you cant ride a swampy for 20 percent damage reduction. its a real nice bonus for later content thats extremely hard but for a starter / messaround character it really doesnt matter.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An elf female can wear every piece of armor in the game that is not gargoyle. Garg throwers can be nice because they are supported by blacksmiths. All throwing weapons are made and repairable by smiths, alleviating the need for a specialized crafting slot (bowyer) and they use no ammunition. For end game content humans and the jack of all trades skill bonus can be very beneficial.

What shard are you playing on?

Last edited:

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most people dont do garg for melee because you cant ride a swampy for 20 percent damage reduction. its a real nice bonus for later content thats extremely hard but for a starter / messaround character it really doesnt matter.
Seriously? Wow. I haven't seen anybody on a swamp dragon in so long I had forgotten all about them.

Nostalgically it's nice to know those big targets are still valued in PvP. Granted mobiles makes targeting a non-issue these days. :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously? Wow. I haven't seen anybody on a swamp dragon in so long I had forgotten all about them.

Nostalgically it's nice to know those big targets are still valued in PvP. Granted mobiles makes targeting a non-issue these days. :)
couldnt imagine doing some stuff without them. like the minax arties. farmed some today and it would just be too hard without one. that one fencer hits like a truck.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
An elf female can wear every piece of armor in the game that is not gargoyle. Garg throwers can be nice because they are supported by blacksmiths. All throwing weapons are made and repairable by smiths, alleviating the need for a specialized crafting slot (bowyer) and they use no ammunition. For end game content humans and the jack of all trades skill bonus can be very beneficial.

What shard are you playing on?
I'm on Atlantic - it seemed to be the most popular. Thinking about restarting as an Elf or Human - it's annoying to receive a quest weapon that I can't use.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is a good post pointing out a design problem. All new characters start in New Haven, yet the quests are aimed entirely at humans and elves. That's a problem for those who start off as gargoyles, isn't it?

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm on Atlantic - it seemed to be the most popular. Thinking about restarting as an Elf or Human - it's annoying to receive a quest weapon that I can't use.
A lot of human or elf gear can be converted to garg by an appropriate crafter. But once an item is a garg item it can not be converted to human or elf.

There is no "wrong" way to start, just roll something new until you hit something you enjoy playing and work that up for awhile.

Also check out the professions forums for casters and warriors. You'll find quite a bit of good pointers on how to start out with nearly any skill set you might choose.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
This is a good post pointing out a design problem. All new characters start in New Haven, yet the quests are aimed entirely at humans and elves. That's a problem for those who start off as gargoyles, isn't it?
I was surprised by it - it's not a particularly challenging bit of code to alter quests based on race. Unless their code is a mess, at least.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I still use mine on my red, and they're quite common on sampires (melee, with bushido/necromancy/chivalry.) I may not get the damage reduction in pvp anymore, but drcossack the swampy is 10 years old, I can't get rid of him. Plus it's easier to remount an actual pet in a fight; remounting an ethy is pretty much impossible.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep reading about sampires... What makes them so popular?
Vampiric Embrace (which allows you to get life back when you do damage), Slayer Weaps, and Whirlwind Attack (AoE); if your weapon has a hit area effect on it, you do even more damage/get even more health back if it goes off with Whirlwind. Against 99% of monsters, you are pretty much unkillable 1v1, and even whole groups can't kill you (though this has its limits)

Against bosses, you can use Armor Ignore. I hit 156-159 regularly with it.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
How are Necromancers and Mystics? I was thinking either Necro Mage or Mystic Mage. I really like the idea of the Necromancer spells, but I don't really know how survivable either of them are in PvE and PvP.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How are Necromancers and Mystics? I was thinking either Necro Mage or Mystic Mage. I really like the idea of the Necromancer spells, but I don't really know how survivable either of them are in PvE and PvP.
Dunno much about Necro in PvE, but I love it for PvP. I mainly PvM on my Mystic (Spellweaving Mystic Mage in an SDI suit, I cap at 160ish), but it's good for PvP too; Stone Form/Protection (which is just one option) is extremely OP.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Play a thief. Stealing something from a player and then getting chased by an unhappy player is far superior to grinding out quests or killing monsters...la

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What kind of weaponry can Gargoyles use? For two handed, am I going to always be stuck with a Talwar, or are there Katanas out there that Gargoyles can wield?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are Gargish katanas, which is a one-hand weapon. There are a range of shields for gargoyles too.
By far, though, most gargoyles are throwers. Train this on the slimes and acid slugs at the Underworld near the entrance, by standing on the ledges where you can hit them and they can't hit you.
The other populat careers are Mystic: you can fly while having a rising colossus; and tamer: you can fly while having a greater dragon.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I was curious about the Sampire - I like the idea of survivability. Do they usually use 2h or 1h/shield? I understand that whirlwind is important - are there other 2h weapons that a Gargoyle can wield that can do it?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is an option that at thery least gives you the abillity to choose what town you start in... not sure about facet. Gonna have to check.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think you end up in New Haven no matter which option you choose. I'm pretty sure I've chosen other towns and ended up in New Haven anyway. Even if a new gargoyle could start in Ter Mur, the character would still lack the guidance new characters get in New Haven.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was curious about the Sampire - I like the idea of survivability. Do they usually use 2h or 1h/shield? I understand that whirlwind is important - are there other 2h weapons that a Gargoyle can wield that can do it?
Both, actually. Bushido's chance to Parry is lowered with a shield (the formula is based on 2-handed weapons), and I'm not sure what weaps Gargoyles can use. I believe most players use a Female Elf as their Sampire, for the mana boost and ability to hit Semidar without dying.

I think you end up in New Haven no matter which option you choose. I'm pretty sure I've chosen other towns and ended up in New Haven anyway. Even if a new gargoyle could start in Ter Mur, the character would still lack the guidance new characters get in New Haven.
My chars have all been given the options of the Trammel cities. I usually pick Moonglow, since it's where I started years back & it's a quick trip to the moongate.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Who/what is Semidar? I'm hoping to stay Gargoyle, because I really like how they look. But the lack of Gargoyle gear on vendor search is troubling.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Semidar is a succubus, which does extra damage to all male characters, which is why you see a lot of female warriors.
BTW, be sure to bookmark uoguide.com for UO Qs if you have not already

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My chars have all been given the options of the Trammel cities. I usually pick Moonglow, since it's where I started years back & it's a quick trip to the moongate.
OK, if you've started in Moonglow, I stand corrected. I don't know why I've always ended up starting in New Haven even when I thought I was picking another city - it's been a while since I started a new character.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who/what is Semidar? I'm hoping to stay Gargoyle, because I really like how they look. But the lack of Gargoyle gear on vendor search is troubling.
http://www.uoguide.com/Semidar - a fairly tough boss, particularly if you're attempting to solo her (which I've done, but I wouldn't recommend it) - I'm not sure what her damage reflection threshold is for male characters, but if one hits her with Armor Ignore, he WILL be killed immediately (a couple months back, a guildmate of mine ran up to her on his male sampire, hit her with Armor Ignore, and died. Everyone busted out laughing.)

As a long time South Park fan, I'll commonly refer to her as "that goddamn succubus", just because she's EXTREMELY nasty.

OK, if you've started in Moonglow, I stand corrected. I don't know why I've always ended up starting in New Haven even when I thought I was picking another city - it's been a while since I started a new character.
yup, it was...maybe two weeks ago, when I decided to make a nox/scribe mage.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not to mention most of the good artifact weapons and weapon special combinations, are on Human/Elf Weapons.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Not to mention most of the good artifact weapons and weapon special combinations, are on Human/Elf Weapons.
That's unfortunate. I like the Gargoyle look. What about a Spellcaster? That safe for a Gargoyle, with regards to equipment? Also, how big of a disadvantage is it to be a melee Gargoyle?

I don't really care about being the best, I'm more of an explorer at heart.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep reading about sampires... What makes them so popular?
They can solo about 80% of the bosses and are extremely useful in PvM on all spectrums. I suggest that as your first template, even if you plan to just PvP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's unfortunate. I like the Gargoyle look. What about a Spellcaster? That safe for a Gargoyle, with regards to equipment? Also, how big of a disadvantage is it to be a melee Gargoyle?

I don't really care about being the best, I'm more of an explorer at heart.
Gargoyle sampires are very good for champ bosses just slower at clearing spawn (momentum strike,hit area) as well as most single mob bosses. Don't let anyone fool you.

Spell casters are good for PvM as well. Depends on what exactly you want to do. Max SDI at a lady Mel in wraith form flamestrike hit for over 300+ damage and it is rather easy(fey slayer book)

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Gargoyle sampires are very good for champ bosses just slower at clearing spawn (momentum strike,hit area) as well as most single mob bosses. Don't let anyone fool you.

Spell casters are good for PvM as well. Depends on what exactly you want to do. Max SDI at a lady Mel in wraith form flamestrike hit for over 300+ damage and it is rather easy(fey slayer book)

That's good to hear. What weapon should I be using as a Gargoyle sampire? Should I be in the heaviest armor I can find, cloth, etc? Not that I have a lot of choice, I guess - there's almost no Gargoyle gear in Vendor Search. I'm fine with being a bit slower :)

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's good to hear. What weapon should I be using as a Gargoyle sampire? Should I be in the heaviest armor I can find, cloth, etc? Not that I have a lot of choice, I guess - there's almost no Gargoyle gear in Vendor Search. I'm fine with being a bit slower :)
Well for "top tier" you could go reforge stone with mods like this (+10 stam +8 mana 8%lmc..or you could imbue 8 Stam 8 mana 8lmc. You want to get as close to 210 stamina as possible for fast soul Glaive armor ignores. I don't know completely off hand but I could post my garg Sampire skills and armor later tonight when I get home from work

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well for "top tier" you could go reforge stone with mods like this (+10 stam +8 mana 8%lmc..or you could imbue 8 Stam 8 mana 8lmc. You want to get as close to 210 stamina as possible for fast soul Glaive armor ignores. I don't know completely off hand but I could post my garg Sampire skills and armor later tonight when I get home from work

Soul Glaive is the weapon I should be using, then? Not a Talwar or Daisho?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well yea I'd say thrower is much more powerful than a gargoyle Melee sampire so you don't take as many hits

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
There is one thing I don't understand about the sampire builds I've seen. Why do they have both Chivalry and Necromancy? Necromancy lowers your Karma (and some abilities are powered by having low karma), while Chivalry uses high karma. Why use both?

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having 99 necromancy guarentee you can get into vampiric embrace and get the 25% life drain which is extremely important

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is one thing I don't understand about the sampire builds I've seen. Why do they have both Chivalry and Necromancy? Necromancy lowers your Karma (and some abilities are powered by having low karma), while Chivalry uses high karma. Why use both?
Karma and vampiric embrace don't really conflict because you only need to cast vampiric embrace once, for just a slight karma dip, and you stay in vampire form until you die, so your karma loss is minimal. You don't keep losing karma by staying in vampire form, only a slight loss when you actually cast the spell.
On the other hand, you are always raising your karma when you kill things, which more than offsets the slight loss of the occasional casting of vampiric embrace. So don't worry about taking a karma hit with vampiric embrace.
But there are those who don't like the whole idea of a paladin who relies on chivalry messing with death spells like vampiric embrace, and for that reason refuse to be sampires and opt for something like a bushido paladin, relying on high chivalry and bushido's honor for damage and high life leech weapons to stay alive. That's a valid option but very tough for a beginner and quite a bit more expensive, in my opinion.

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Karma and vampiric embrace don't really conflict because you only need to cast vampiric embrace once, for just a slight karma dip, and you stay in vampire form until you die, so your karma loss is minimal. You don't keep losing karma by staying in vampire form, only a slight loss when you actually cast the spell.
On the other hand, you are always raising your karma when you kill things, which more than offsets the slight loss of the occasional casting of vampiric embrace. So don't worry about taking a karma hit with vampiric embrace.
But there are those who don't like the whole idea of a paladin who relies on chivalry messing with death spells like vampiric embrace, and for that reason refuse to be sampires and opt for something like a bushido paladin, relying on high chivalry and bushido's honor for damage and high life leech weapons to stay alive. That's a valid option but very tough for a beginner and quite a bit more expensive, in my opinion.
Is there a build for those that like Necromancy, but not Chivalry? Switching Chivalry for Mysticism, for example?

DeathTrap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the info, but one question: what does necro dexxer mean? I understand necro...but dexxer?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like drcossack said. Dexxers also generally need high strength, which leaves little room for intelligence, upon which mana is based. The special moves that dexxers use for more damage also use mana, which is why mana leech is common on weapons.