• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does magery beyond 100+ increase spell damage?

M

mookin1

I noticed on the spell damage calculator if magery is either 100 or 120 the spell damage doesn't change, only the eval changes it, yet I see some people have 120 magery in some very specific builds that don't even mainly use 8th circle spells, so that doesn't make much sense, hence my question.

Is there anything to gain by taking magery over 100 if the highest level spell you plan to cast often is 7th circle? At what level magery does flamestrike stop failing anyway?

I

imported_Hawkeye_Pike

To my knowledge, Magery does not at all influcence the damage output. It determines how often you fizzle before you can cast a spell. The relevant factor for damage is your Evaluate Intelligence skill.

This can be compared to a weapon skill (for hit chance) and Tactics (for damage output).

The only reason rising Magery to 120 is, that you will fizzle less at high level spells. With 105 Magery I still fizzle 70% of Energy Vortex and maybe 10% Flame Strike. With 120 Magery you will not fizzle ever again. However, in my opinion I rather fizzle when casting an EV than wasting another 10 or 20 skill points. I'd rather put those skill points in mana regenerating skills (Meditation, Focus) or damage increasing skills (Eval Int or Inscription).

G

Lots of partial info here.

Also add that magery determines if you will poison/curse/weaken your opponet. High magery = less resist.