• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does Hit Lower Defense do anything to NPCs?

M

Mikeee

As the title asks, does HLD effect monsters?

Or does it only have an effect on things that have a Defense Chance Increase property. Also do monsters have DCI and there is just no way to tell?

T

Turdnugget

Rumor has it no monsters have DCI. So in essence you give a monster -25 DCI when you hit them with HLD.

However, they can still be hard to hit if they have a high wrestle skill.

M

Mikeee

Exactly thats why it doesn't make sense to me. IE: If I'm fighting a Monster that doesn't have any DCI (unknown) and I'm 120 with 45 HCI shouldnt that make a monster thats like 110 with -25 dci 100% hittable?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly thats why it doesn't make sense to me. IE: If I'm fighting a Monster that doesn't have any DCI (unknown) and I'm 120 with 45 HCI shouldnt that make a monster thats like 110 with -25 dci 100% hittable?
Yes, in that scenario, you would have a 100% chance to hit the monster (up until the HLD runs out).

What about that doesn't make sense?

T

Turdnugget

Sometimes RNG doesn't like you =)

Theoretically you should hit each time while it's under HLD and you're legendary + max HCI.

S

Saris

seems to me you can fail even at 100% and hit at 0

just guessing but something like if you max roll with the rng you hit but if you get min roll you miss

M

Mikeee

Well its been a while since I fought PvM with Mace and Shield of HLD.
However, upon looking up to the stratics calculator it appears I was just understanding the calculation a bit wrong. It seems that if you are 120 with 45 HCI vs say a 100 Wrestling 0 DCI monster you only have a 84% chance to hit. I thought the 45HCI was directly on top of regular rating.

Makes me wonder if it is in fact possible to bring a monster to -25 DCI.

S

Saris

well I know it helps but rarley miss in pvm so I cant tell ya how much, it rolls for HLD for each item you have with HLD btw, so the more the merrier.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I know is when my samadin went from a Mark of Trav to mace and shield, I starting hitting high end monsters alot more! Once my HLD goes off, I basically never miss until it is dead!

T

Turdnugget

And from what I remember reading a couple weeks ago, M&S HLD doesn't stack with weapon HLD. They are two seperate checks. So it's not like you get 70% HLD... but you have 30% chance for M&S glasses to proc the HLD and 50% from you weapon... etc etc..

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well its been a while since I fought PvM with Mace and Shield of HLD.
However, upon looking up to the stratics calculator it appears I was just understanding the calculation a bit wrong. It seems that if you are 120 with 45 HCI vs say a 100 Wrestling 0 DCI monster you only have a 84% chance to hit. I thought the 45HCI was directly on top of regular rating.

Makes me wonder if it is in fact possible to bring a monster to -25 DCI.
The Stratics calculator doesn't support negative HCI or DCI (yet), but it is possible.

HCI doesn't stack directly on top of your wrestling, it acts as a multiplier.

The formula:
( ( [Attacker's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Attacker's Hit Chance Increase] )
divided by
( [Defender's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Defender's Defense Chance Increase] * 2 ) )

So...
120 w/ 45 HCI vs 110 w/ -25 DCI = ( 140 * 1.45 ) / ( 130 * 0.75 * 2 ) = 203 / 195 = approx 104%
120 w/ 45 HCI vs 100 w/ 0 DCI = ( 140 * 1.45 ) / ( 120 * 1 * 2 ) = 203 / 240 = approx 84%
120 w/ 0 HCI vs 110 w/ -25 DCI = ( 140 * 1 ) / ( 130 * 0.75 * 2 ) = 140 / 195 = approx 72%

Also, if you are fighting a creature that has any parry or bushido skill, the check to see if they block the attack entirely doesn't care at all about your skills or their DCI. They can still parry you even if you have 120 weapon skill, 45 HCI, and they have 0 weapon skill, -25 DCI, and at least 0.1 parrying (and are holding something in one of their hands).

Oh... and you always have at least a 2% chance to hit something... so:
0 w/ 0 HCI vs 120 w/ 45 DCI = ( 0 * 1 ) / ( 140 * 1.45 * 2 ) = 0 / 406 = 2%

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Geeze Gildar. That is intense. After reading that reply I bet your the only person who may be able to explain to me (in normal public school talk) how a sextant works. I looked it up once on stratics...it talked about the planet Sosaria actually being shaped like a doughnut. I pulled up the sextant and um...yeah, was lost. Heh.

Oh, sorry, yeah...the HCI and DCI right. Sorry. I'm probably off topic. :p

C

Corvak

All you need to know about sextants is where to punch the numbers into UOAM :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All you need to know about sextants is where to punch the numbers into UOAM :)

Sextants work exactly like a gps works. The only difference is the gps references a group of satellites and does all the calculations for you.

With sextants you would pinpoint stars through the viewfinder then take a reading compare to a set of charts and perform some trigonomic calculations.

You need 3 satellites to make your GPS reasonably accurate but 5-6 is better.
Same with a sextant. You could triangulate with 3 known points but 5-6 are better. A sextant could also reference a landmark on the ground if it was identified on your charts.

IS that plain enough Bob?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Geeze Gildar. That is intense. After reading that reply I bet your the only person who may be able to explain to me (in normal public school talk) how a sextant works. I looked it up once on stratics...it talked about the planet Sosaria actually being shaped like a doughnut. I pulled up the sextant and um...yeah, was lost. Heh.

Oh, sorry, yeah...the HCI and DCI right. Sorry. I'm probably off topic. :p
Others explained how real sextants work... I'll try to explain how they work in UO.

I find it easier to think of Sosaria as a grid tilted 45 degrees clockwise where if you walk off of one side, you get teleported to the other side.
When you use a sextant, it tells you where you are in that grid, but with confusing values instead of a simply X and Y for an immersion effect.
So if (#,#) = (Latitude,Longitude)...
(0,0) is located at Lord British's throne (in Britannia)
(180,0) is located exactly half-way across the world traveling due north or south
(0,180) is located exactly half-way across the world traveling due east or west
Everything else in-between is relative to those values.
ie. (0,90) is exactly half-way between (0,0) and (0,180).

Each degree is also split into 60 minutes (8' = 8 minutes), so you can go to 10o 0' east all the way up to 10o 59' east (though since you can't move partial-tile distances, you might not actually be able to stop at ether of those; a single tile spans approximately 4 minutes [distance, not time])

For Malas, Ilshenar, and The Lost Lands, you cannot travel far enough to actually do a full loop around the grid, you get stopped before you get far enough (either from a void or a mountain).

Things are a bit crazier for Tokuno, because you can actually make a full loop, but you don't get the full 360 degrees of travel. The distance of travel in Britannia and Tokuno that makes up "1 degree" is the same, but there is less surface area in Tokuno.