• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does DCI stack?

C

chuckoatl

Just wonding if anyone could answer this. We have been arguing about it in vent for 3 days. I personally never have seen the difference in having 70 DCI (which is supposed to make you HLD proof) or 45 DCI, which is the cap. Just wondering if anyone knows.

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hit Lower Defense drops your Defense Chance Increase by 25% for 8 like seconds. 70% - 25% = 45%(which is cap). That's why everyone wants 70% DCI!!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just wonding if anyone could answer this. We have been arguing about it in vent for 3 days. I personally never have seen the difference in having 70 DCI (which is supposed to make you HLD proof) or 45 DCI, which is the cap. Just wondering if anyone knows.
I can confirm it does indeed work when stacking to 70, anymore i aim for 60+

S

Stupid Miner

Ok kid, explain to me how you can do that since its a RNG? unless you have RNG hack?
Very high tech one at that:
Sample several output. Take their average. Do this until the results generally agree, or at least vary little.
Since you're looking for something that would have an incredibly noticeable change in output, it'll be simple.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok kid, explain to me how you can do that since its a RNG? unless you have RNG hack?
What are you, rumplestil-I-can't-believe-Im-Wrongs- alt? Seriously kid? Or are you just that stubborn, but too lazy to actually test it yourself. Awesome! Oh and btw, the answer is easy, you see, on test, and the EC, you can have someone smack you until you hear the sound effect for HLD (IT DOES HAVE ONE! OH MY GOD) and then check your DCI.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hasn't this issue been asked before about every couple of months. This and how does HLD and HLA work and stack.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.v.P View Post
Can't you just use EC and look at DCI change?
This doesn't mean it actually WORKS. There are lots of things in UO that are IN but don't work as intended.

EC is about as close as you're going to get to the answer in an easily verifyable manner.

C

chuckoatl

I have done the test with a few guildies, I seriously couldnt tell the difference between 70 and 45.......... Just wondering if I could get a serious answer...... guess not.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This doesn't mean it actually WORKS. There are lots of things in UO that are IN but don't work as intended.
Well as far as I remember, HLD doesn't stack, right? Pretty sure a Dev told us that one. Most other things seem to stack though.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have done the test with a few guildies, I seriously couldnt tell the difference between 70 and 45.......... Just wondering if I could get a serious answer...... guess not.
Serious answer with know-it-all trammies on these boards? GL sir.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You're NOT going to notice a difference between 45 and 70 because the CAP is 45. HOWEVER, people usually take it up to 70 to counter the effects of Hit Lower Defense. The cushion of the extra amount between 45 and 70 effectively negates the HLD.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Serious answer with know-it-all trammies on these boards? GL sir.
Guys, I beg to differ. I see mainly serious replies to the OP's questions.

This question does tend to come up regularly.

Here's a thread a couple of months back:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1576234

Like Dermott mentioned, this is verifiable using EC.

Just wear 45 dci, then have your guidie hit you with a weak HLD weapon until you hear the HLD sound effect. Confirm that your dci has gone down by 25 and continue to have your guildie swing at you for 100 more times. Notice that you are getting hit more often.

Now repeat the test by over capping your dci to 70. EC will still show that your dci is 45. Have your guildie hit you with the HLD weapon until you hear the HLD go off. Verify that the EC still shows you that your dci is 45. That is because the extra 25 points of dci would provide a buffer to offset the 25 point dci penalty from HLD. Continue to have your guildie swing at you for 100 more times. Notice that this time around, you are not getting hit more often even when affected by HLD.

Now, because like spoonyd, there are other folks that do not trust the stats displayed in the EC, these people have also done extensive tests to verify that what the EC shows in this case is accurate.

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, I beg to differ. I see mainly serious replies to the OP's questions.

This question does tend to come up regularly.

Here's a thread a couple of months back:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1576234

Like Dermott mentioned, this is verifiable using EC.

Just wear 45 dci, then have your guidie hit you with a weak HLD weapon until you hear the HLD sound effect. Confirm that your dci has gone down by 25 and continue to have your guildie swing at you for 100 more times. Notice that you are getting hit more often.

Now repeat the test by over capping your dci to 70. EC will still show that your dci is 45. Have your guildie hit you with the HLD weapon until you hear the HLD go off. Verify that the EC still shows you that your dci is 45. That is because the extra 25 points of dci would provide a buffer to offset the 25 point dci penalty from HLD. Continue to have your guildie swing at you for 100 more times. Notice that this time around, you are not getting hit more often even when affected by HLD.

Now, because like spoonyd, there are other folks that do not trust the stats displayed in the EC, these people have also done extensive tests to verify that what the EC shows in this case is accurate.
I'm ok with it working either way. Personally I'd prefer that the EC be 100% correct so that there aren't any flaws (or mis-programming) within the game. Would be awesome if Logrus would check the code and/or verify that this is all correct.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I PvP, thus I havent switched to the EC. Once they can get the targeting right, I will switch
I totally understand your sentiment. I mainly use the CC as well. I just switch to EC for certain things like checking dci, lmc, lrc, making new chars, dark knight quest etc. It does have its uses.

You can also use it to check the dci to test and settle the disagreement with your friend once and for all. Then switch back to cc once you have completed your tests. Don't have to actively use it to play.

Would be sweet if they could add these to the CC. Not likely to happen mind you, but would be nice.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if your Q has been answered but.. With 70 DCI you're immune to HLD, you drop down to 45 which is its limit. HLD attacks from multiple sources do not EACH lower your DCI either so you're perfectly safe. Not sure if DCI 45+ gives any benefits in PVM but I'm sure it doesn't in PVP.

Having 45+ for any reason OTHER than being immune to HLD(and I suggest having 70 DCI to become a primary goal when you put together your suit) is pointless if you want to PVP.

These are my in-game observations from field action, using the EC.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC actually can perform better than CC at times but doesn't have all the UOA features yet ... but I'm still way too used to CC anyway. I'm slowly getting comfortable when I PvM w/ EC but just a hassle to redo all the macros for every char. I think if game had a better macro conversion tool the switch to EC would happen more often but still would take awhile to get used to the dull players in pvp situations.

For anyone concerned with PvP though, yeah, EC is great for a lot of things like suit building. Grid view and expandable backpacks make crafting/imbuing a breeze, plus people write mods for EC, so now I know exactly what I will get from loot and can easily get relics.

And until Mythic fixes the God damn Gargoyles in 2D so that they can go through chairs without glitching the **** up ... EC is nice if you use a Gargoyle, lol.