• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone....

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have a fencer? I thought I wanted one but am not seeing any info on them. Any advice would be helpful in a template.

So far:

Anatomy 93.7
Fencing 85.5
Parrying 85.1
Focus 79.3
Tactics 78.1
Magic Resist 71.1
Healing 59.1
Chivalry 58.4

Should I keep parry and drop focus or the other way around? Human or elf?

Thank you in advance!

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvP or PvM?

Focus can always be replaced by gear. Unless your going to be running the Virtue Armor set. Do you have the gear to cast VE with only 34 to 19 Necro?
If so for PvM you could get away without Resist, & Focus.

However, if your a PvPer then resist is a must. You can pretty much take any Sword/Pally Template. & Insert Fencing in place of Swords. Depends what your going to do, & Scroll to.

Weapon skill almost always needs to be 115+ . & 70 to 80 Chivalry is enough, unless you plan to spam Holy Light.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
About the only thing I can agree with of the previous replier is to drop focus.

Never understood the desire of people to run around as a walking oxymoron (chiv & necro on same character). While it's a (currently) legal manner of play, I consider it to be an exploit (both from being able to HAVE both, and also, to be able to use necro's 99.9 skill level spell with 66-84 points from equipment) and won't use it myself.

If you are going to add Bushido or Poisoning, Elf is best (they, with parry and weapon skill, will put you to 300 skill points for special move cost reduction). Without either, human is better for the JOAT reducing the cost of special moves. Note that while you have to have 90 real weapon skill and real tactics each to have full special move access for your weapons, equipment bonuses do count towards the 300.

Personally, I consider 80 chiv a minimum, and would go higher if my own template would allow. Considering that failing multiple Enemy of one attempts at 80 chiv has gotten me killed several times this Magnicia invasion (if I had succeeded with the spell the foe that killed me would have been dead 4 swings before I dropped), I have good reason to feel that way. 70 might be ok for the PvP aspects, but I don't PvP.

Resist is a must for a PvP type, but less important for a PvMer, unless you're constantly going to be fighting things that can para you then one-hit kill you.

Healing only really needs to be 90 at max, for 100% success chance for bandaging wounds. Higher only increases poison cure chance and the success rate of resurrecting others. If you plan on carrying greater cure potions you can survive on 90 just fine.

Anatomy and tactics need to be GM, for the extra damage bonuses (not affected by the DI cap) that they give from GM+ (5% more DI each, IIRC, in addition to the standard formula). Anatomy can be done with the help of equipment, but you need to have at least 90 real Tactics to access secondary special moves.

So for a PvM Fencer at 700 points
100 Fencing
100 Anatomy
100 Tactics
100 Parry
100 Resist
90 Healing
80 Chivalry

30 (at 700 cap) to 50 (at 720 cap) points split however your power scrolling allows between Fencing and Parry. If not yet scrolled, keep the extra points in Chivalry and/or healing until you get the scrolls (110s, if not 115s, should be easy to get).

Optionally, one could put most of the resist points into Bushido, if you're going to only fight creatures.
Instead of 100 resist, you could have 80 Bushido, and 50-70 resist (based on skill caps). In PvM, resist is mostly used for reducing time of paralysis and similar effects - and if you're in melee, the next hit will typically remove the paralysis on you before the spell runs out even at GM, if it lands, and it's unlikely you would have not been hit even if not paralysed). Resist also reduces mana drain and mana vampire amounts, but most high end creatures will empty out even my 100 resist mage with those spells (as she's typically at half mana after 2-3 spells), so its less of an issue.

Total skill points can be enhanced with equipment, with a little effort (say, using the ancient Samurai Do for its resists and +10 to parry), giving you more real points to put elsewhere. I personally have 3 characters that get 60-85 points from their equipment, in addition to their base 720. Typically, that's enough to add in an additional skill (two of the characters actually relied on healing potions and Chivalry spells for healing, until I got their suits done and added healing to both, thanks to the room added)

G

How the hell do you get 80 points from equipment? I've got +55 and I thought that is an awful lot....especially considering that my suit is 70 70 70 70 75 (elf) and has 12 hp regen and (I think) 4 MR, with 41 hci and 44 dci (not to mention the rest of my mods). Do you sacrifice worthwhile mods for simple skill? My template (with 710 current max and using +10 bandies) is:

120 swords
120 parry
120 tact
120 anat
120 healing (with +10 bandies)
110 resist (i'll bring this to 120 real skill when my acct is old enough)
65 chiv

and as far as I can tell I'm a pvm beast (more or less). And before anyone comes down on me, 65 chiv is just plenty, tyvm; so what if I have to try to cast eoo twice instead of once before it goes through, I just cast before it runs out.

EDIT: Also, I don't uncerstand this:

<blockquote><hr>

Healing only really needs to be 90 at max, for 100% success chance for bandaging wounds. Higher only increases poison cure chance and the success rate of resurrecting others. If you plan on carrying greater cure potions you can survive on 90 just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this: http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/healing.php no longer apply?

G

I was actually really hoping for a response to this. Maybe I'm being impatient?

G

My thief had 810 skill pts on a 715 point account. It can be done if you are creative.

I have a single piece of jewelry with over 40 skill pts on it. Add a mark of travesty for 20 skill pts plus great mods. another piece of jewelry with with 20 skill points and you are at 800 on a 720 account.
It isn't that hard.

TW

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That chart still applies for amount healed, but you will never FAIL on a bandage attempt to heal wounds at 90 skill or higher, and acutal speed of healing is dex-based not skill-based, as shown in the charts. At 90, your only failures will be on higher level poisons and resurrection attempts, and the enhanced bandages from the font add skill to those (I once cured lesser poison with a 50s-skill healer, using the enhnaced bandages).

Lessee... In the case of my paladin/TH (which has 200 points in Carto &amp; LP taking up points I could have in combat skills)

+10 Parry From Ancient Samurai Do
+58 from jewelry (combined, +19 Swords, +19 Tactics, +20 Chivalry, with some DCI)
+12 from Arms of tactical Excellence (however, I don't wear them anymore, as I had to lower other skill to get to 90 real tactics).
+5 Parry from Dupre's shield (when I feel the need for a blessed shield, to reduce insurance costs, against foes my 12+ HCI/DCI/RPD shield would be overkill - the Dupre's is more when I'm being showy, than actually outfitting for maximum effect)

Resists are all in the high 60s or 70s in the complete suit (which went up after removal of the ToT Arms and replacing them with runic made leather), which includes the high-HPR medable artifact gorget (Voice of the Fallen King?) from Doom (not a cursed one), and a totem of the Void for additional HPR.

There are a number of weapons that, if used, add useful skill points if one is scrolled enough for them, but not actually trained that level. Flesh Ripper (+10 Anatomy, and it's UBWS!), Talon Bite (+10 Tactics), Bonesmasher (+10 Macing), Dryad Bow (+10 random skill), etc. Heck, on some of my low-chivalry characters I sometimes carry a luna Lance to equip for casting EoO.

Even my smith, which has 120 real points in smithing, 100 in mining, and 120 in Macing, has a total of 806, from 86 points of equipment - I use him to deliberately mine for paragon ore elementals in Ilshenar. His suit is as above (with the Dupre's shield and arms of tactical excellence, but without the Voice - he does however use a life leech weapon), and +59 total in Chivalry, Parry and Anatomy from Jewelry. Since I typically am trying to get a paragon Valorite elemental (and can run into Copper ones, or god forbid, a blackrock ele), I really don't want any outside HCI bonuses to make it more likely that I'll kill myself from reflected damage, from hitting too many times in a row (the paragon copper and valorite have to be jousted while you bandage, to prevent suicide by reflect). His lowest resist is 66.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I typically don't have much problem, except against things that others primarily use tamers and pets for (I don't have a tamer, even after 5 years). Before the DF got necro, I was often the tank sitting in the moongate with my T-hunter on alliance trips to doom - and I'd made jokes that I was "The Humanoid Rune Beetle".

I've actually beaten other guild members in duels in a normal-EQ-only fight, with the smith (they forgot that the mace has disarm as a special move).

In all, the nice thing about the setups are that, if I really wanted to, I could stone off my TH or crafting skills (and buy a few scrolls) and go 6x120+80 chiv (adding resist), or 2x120, 4x100 and have 80 each in chiv and bushido. I'm coming across more jewelry all the time with 25 or more skill points, so it's only a matter of time till one of my pure combat characters will end up with some obscene combination, in a manner where I can max out HCI as well as skills.

Then again, there's my PvM combat mage with only the base 720 skill points, but has a 100% LRC, 40%+ LMC, 70/69/70/70/70 suit with 4/6 (well, can only use 2 of the FC) casting, that uses chiv, tactics and mage weapons to do as much damage with weapons as with summons, saving her mana for the summons, healing others pets and the occasional direct spell.

I hate characters that are cookie-cutter. What can I say? And, doing a level 6 map with a melee character is an adrenaline rush that IMO tops anything in the PvP arena.

I

imported_Farsight

Sometimes you have to look a long time for the jewel that you want. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you make a template just to use something spectacular. I have a friend who found a bracelet (off of Mel, I believe) with more than 10 points in taming, vetrinary and peacemaking as well as fast cast recovery 3.

But my bushido-paladin's jewels focus on hit chance increase to keep perfection up and damage increase, but I still found a ring and bracelet which add 10-15 points in skills I need for my character each.

D

dorkuberalles

fencing is viable for a paladin, as is any weapon skill. leafblades are perhaps the best weapon for a paladin, as it's basically a one-handed spear in terms of damage and speed. armor ignore can bring down tough foes, and feint protects well from excess damage. it's only downside is that it looks absurd.

focus is reasonable if your armor uses a lot of non-med pieces with great stats (like the underrated helm of insight). otherwise you can drop it if using medable armor, or if you have a weapon that can utilize stamina and mana leech sufficiently.

resist is good for soloing mobs with strong magic and melee, as paralyze, curses, and frequent poisoning can kill very fast, unless you have a superior suit.

so a lot of how you can build a template relies on what equipment you have available.

on the subject of extra skill points, i've found a ring with +74 skills, none of them of any particular use to a particular template:

+15 animal lore
+14 focus
+15 parry
+15 tactics
+15 eval int