• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you think the tamer class is gimped?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Since returning to the game about 2 months ago, taming new animals and training them up has nearly become an addiction. I've been constantly searching for the elusive pet and build that would be far superior to all other pets, but have come to the conclusion that such an animal/build does not exist.

Furthermore, from what I've seen hunting with non-tamer guildies, their damage/abilities seem superior to what my pets can do. Seems like most pets would need another full round of training available and higher STR/Stam caps to be on par. Also certain pets are very limited in what abilities/magics they can take; more options would need to open up.

Am I off base here or is this what you guys have found as well? My overall feeling here is that the devs have overly nerfed pets to the point that a very large percentage of them are not viable either because they don't get enough training points or enough rounds of training or both, and the rest have to be carefully planned out just to get a relatively small improvement to performance.

I had hoped that my 3 slot pre-patch dragon might become this great monster, but of course the devs nerfed it to slot jump so if anything it's damage is about the same as any other 5 slot pet. Maybe worse thanks to dragon breath, no room for scrolls or Chiv. If I had scrolls my pre-patch nightmare with AI/Chiv would very likely be my best pet, or perhaps my AI/Chiv Cu since it has healing instead of dragon breath. They're pretty good, but I feel like they're still not quite as strong as they should be. For the record I don't expect pets that can go in and 2 hit a greater dragon to death, but something more is definitely needed. More variety and more power.

Thoughts?

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This is hugely dependent on the template you run. Remember, the pets are not characters, but your weapon set when you are a tamer. Your Chiv AI Cu is a sampires sword.

Working in tandem with your pet is what’s important. Having a skill set to enhance the experience. This is why there are so many Discordance tamers. Reduces incoming and increasing outgoing damage values. Or Spellweaving tamers to pack on a bunch of extra damage at the end. Heck, i even have an Archer Tamer that pretty much allows me to Triple my damage output.

It’s not the pets themselves. It how’s you build them, along with you how you use them. I use a variety of about 8 pets on a regular basis for the monsters I hunt. I can use others more depending on the scenario.

It just takes patience and hard work to build a strong enough repertoire of pets to work most situations.

That said, the Chiv AI Cu is certainly more popular, as are PP pets and RC beetles, but I find I have more fun stepping outside of the box a bit.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can help the pet kill stuff or sit back and watch.

But I agree that many pet types do not have enough points.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
The chiv/AI cu is popular, no doubt about that but to me it’s a bit lazy too.
There are some really nice builds out there, like Caitlyn said about stepping outside of the box. If you’re out with a group, why not go with something that provides support and utility? A giant beetle comes to mind. It’s not only a great suitcase but with RC, everyone benefits! Will it be top damage dealer? No, but it makes the fight go a bit better for everyone. Don’t have a discorder with you? Take a disco cu! Or disco hiryu.
I think experimenting can be fun.
My tamer has discord, and it certainly helps. I also have a fully trained giant beetle-usually use him for Tmaps.

*edit*
You guys made some valid points. Admittedly most fights I discord (when possible) and sit back and heal/cure pet. I have magery, but no eval so the damage is low. I have peacemaking but rarely use it, maybe I should get rid of it and take up eval to increase magic damage? Or maybe take up provocation?

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No don't listen to the others you are completely right. Tamers have been duped and gimped.

If I wanted to play an archer or a magic user of some sort I'd do that... but I choose to play a Tamer... Which ought to be a Tamer and the animal I'm controling ought to be my "weapon" of choice... either you play a 1/2 an archer with a gimpy pet that sort of damages with you and you 1/2 ass make up for your gimp pet with your equally gimped archery... or you play a magic user who 1/2 ass can be a mage (though you can with the help of many pots, foods and spellbooks do better than the gimped archer)... and have a pet that is equally gimpy but sort of helps you be a better mage all the While dumping at least 200 points into tamimg which then makes you a 1/2 ass tamer... But I would prefer to dump 360(real) points into being a tamer which ought to count for something more and give me perhaps the ability to add a 6th level to my pet... IMO ..... but it doesn't do squat for you.

At first the Taming update gave the illusion that we were actually going to be able to compete once again with other templates... then they nerfed it all. So then the only place we could "shine" was the Roof... but now they have nearly nerfed us out of that as well and it's back to being 3rd class red headed stepchildren of gimp hood. Because your character should try to be some mutant of 2 or 3 other classes than being an actual tamer.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
No don't listen to the others you are completely right. Tamers have been duped and gimped.

If I wanted to play an archer or a magic user of some sort I'd do that... but I choose to play a Tamer... Which ought to be a Tamer and the animal I'm controling ought to be my "weapon" of choice... either you play a 1/2 an archer with a gimpy pet that sort of damages with you and you 1/2 ass make up for your gimp pet with your equally gimped archery... or you play a magic user who 1/2 ass can be a mage (though you can with the help of many pots, foods and spellbooks do better than the gimped archer)... and have a pet that is equally gimpy but sort of helps you be a better mage all the While dumping at least 200 points into tamimg which then makes you a 1/2 ass tamer... But I would prefer to dump 360(real) points into being a tamer which ought to count for something more and give me perhaps the ability to add a 6th level to my pet... IMO ..... but it doesn't do squat for you.

At first the Taming update gave the illusion that we were actually going to be able to compete once again with other templates... then they nerfed it all. So then the only place we could "shine" was the Roof... but now they have nearly nerfed us out of that as well and it's back to being 3rd class red headed stepchildren of gimp hood. Because your character should try to be some mutant of 2 or 3 other classes than being an actual tamer.
Here's a man(?) that knows how I feel about taming!

That being said, I think I need to reevaluate my tamer template. Right now I'm kind of stuck between tamer/bard/mage. I have GM peacemaking which I feel is fairly worthless. I have discord, which is really good, but I have to take music with that, not sure how I feel about using 2 skill slots but only get the benefit of 1 skill. I'd consider taking provocation, but that is one of the worst skills to raise and there has to be at least 2 mobs around to use it. Way back in the early days of UO I used to run taming/lore/vet/magery/eval/med/wrestling. That worked pretty good, but I'd miss discord. Guess I could start making discord pets.

Last edited:

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Are we able to keep up with some specific templAtes? No. Especially not the sampire. That’s a separate debate that inevitably pops up in almost every thread I’ve ever read.

But are all templates suited for all the different encounters? No.
Yes some fair better than others, that’s why we are given the option (on prodo shards) to have more than one toon.
Yes tamers are nerfed to oblivion, and I agree some are unnecessary. But you can thank certain events that occurred and the difference in PVP and PVE mindsets for those. And I understand it to a degree.
But saying that you only want to play a tamer is fine, but you lose out on other encounters. You won’t find me with a tamer at the Fel champs, you’ll find me with a sampire or archer/thrower. But you won’t find me with a warrior at Turtle, because Tamers clean house there.

And as far as Shadowguard is concerned? Tamers still shine. Albeit a bit dimmer. Yes there is spawn but it is rare and easily manageable if you know how to handle it. Aside from the Phys damage bug on Anon, which to my knowledge is being worked on, tamers still have the easiest time with the highest return. Is the fastest? Probably not. But still the least arduous.

Complain all you want Mal about wanting to take a tamer every where. But that comes at a price. And I normally agree on a lot with you. But this is not one of those.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
2 like this with Eval and Med variations.

View attachment 84775

And an Archer Tamer.
That looks very similar to my Tamer/Mage/SW template! :) I run him LOADED with SDI. He does damage casting spells on whatever we are fighting, rocks with WoD at the end, and has the gift of renewal for the pet as well. @SouthPaw you might consider a template like this. It can deal a lot of damage to something.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
That looks very similar to my Tamer/Mage/SW template! :) I run him LOADED with SDI. He does damage casting spells on whatever we are fighting, rocks with WoD at the end, and has the gift of renewal for the pet as well. @SouthPaw you might consider a template like this. It can deal a lot of damage to something.
Remind me what SDI stands for?

I just might try a template like that. I've got zero experience with spellweaving. I already have magery. Eval and med are easy to raise. Is spellweaving hard to raise?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Remind me what SDI stands for?

I just might try a template like that. I've got zero experience with spellweaving. I already have magery. Eval and med are easy to raise. Is spellweaving hard to raise?
Spell Damage Increase. SDI is a true increase so it's easy to see what it does. If your spell does 50 damage, 100% SDI will make it do 100 damage, etc. One exception to this is Word of Death which gets a 3x bonus from SDI.

The most common pieces to work into your build would be Scholar's Halo or Dr. Spector's Lenses, Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings, Hawkwinds, Jumu's Sacred Hide and SDI Jewelry. If you have some really good filler pieces, you can try to work in Cuffs of the Archmage and Pendant of the Magi too. You will want to use a 20th Event Spellbook too (up to 50% SDI). If you can't find one, a scrappers will work too.

Even a few pieces worked in with SDI will have a huge effect on Word of Death.

Spellweaving can be slow to level. If you setup some skill macros and do it while watching TV or something, you can probably get to 120 in a week or two, depending how much time you have to invest into it. You also need to do 1 of 2 quests in order to begin raising the skill.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Ok, I’ll shut up, clearly you know far better then I what is and isn’t important in a game that I play with my friend and for fun.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Spell Damage Increase. SDI is a true increase so it's easy to see what it does. If your spell does 50 damage, 100% SDI will make it do 100 damage, etc. One exception to this is Word of Death which gets a 3x bonus from SDI.

The most common pieces to work into your build would be Scholar's Halo or Dr. Spector's Lenses, Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings, Hawkwinds, Jumu's Sacred Hide and SDI Jewelry. If you have some really good filler pieces, you can try to work in Cuffs of the Archmage and Pendant of the Magi too. You will want to use a 20th Event Spellbook too (up to 50% SDI). If you can't find one, a scrappers will work too.

Even a few pieces worked in with SDI will have a huge effect on Word of Death.

Spellweaving can be slow to level. If you setup some skill macros and do it while watching TV or something, you can probably get to 120 in a week or two, depending how much time you have to invest into it. You also need to do 1 of 2 quests in order to begin raising the skill.
Sounds like a nice build. Main thing holding me back is that I play on Pacific where getting power scrolls for pets its pretty much impossible, so having discord on my character can help make up for that to some degree. I did a vender search for power scrolls the other night, there was 5 total. 4 were pretty worthless, snooping, stealing, etc. and 1 legendary Chiv scroll for a mere 500 million. I've been saving 300-610 training points on most pets for scrolls, not sure why, I'll never get the scrolls. I think I'll save the points on my legacy pets, but for others I may as well use those points to increase HP. Considering dropping peacemaking since I never use it and taking eval int so my magery will do higher damage.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Why do you think using 360 skill points should allow you to do the same damage as a character who uses 720 or even 850.

Taming is more than just "All Kill" and then afking (least to me). Pets are the weapon, and like a sampire, the tamer should be engaged with their weapon.

I play only my tamers, with my main tamer being 95% of my playtime. I don't switch out to Sampires, I only use the tamers for all content and I would say I am pretty successful. I play my tamer mostly duoing with another tamer or sampire, or occasionally with a larger group of guildies/alliancemates.

If you are struggling as a tamer:

Check your template
Check your pet's template

A mage doesnt run around with 40 or even 80 magery and think they will be effective.
Unfortunately this also means scrolls, a pet with scrolls will be more effective.​
Check the pet you bring
stop thinking a CU is good for everything. If survival is your thing, ok. But pets have so much more survivability than days of old. Also not a lot of encounters have lowest resist cold and energy.
If you can only afford to scroll a pet or two think about: cold platinum/crimson drake, fire platinum/crimson drake/fire steed. Also even a cold drake with overcapped wres/tactics could be better.
Matching your pets damage type to the encounter the best you can will greatly improve the tamers dps.​
It's how you use your masteries.
If you dont have a mastery III, try to get it. (if you are a bard, get bard masteries, they are great)
There is more than just consume for taming masteries​

A screenshot from a log of just my pet on Dreadhorn. Khyro's sampire and my tamer did a log of 50 dreadhorn kills the past two weeks to compare various physical pets (and 1 cu) and their damage vs his sampire.

Taming class you get out of it what you put into it. A mage who gets nice SDI suit (with Halo etc, invasion slayer books, etc) will perform much better than a mage without. A Sampire who has an assortment of weapons, good gear and knows how to play his class, will perform much better than one who doesnt.

Use buffs to your benefit, bless your pet if you have eval, bard songs if you are a bard. Tasty treats are cheap.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
"Unfortunately this also means scrolls, a pet with scrolls will be more effective. "

Ding, ding, ding!

To be effective tamers need A LOT more scrolls than other builds and yet they're not any easier for us to get. I've voiced my frustration in not being able to get scrolls on Pacific numerous times.

I wish they would start dropping from other bosses, not just champ spawns. Anyone on a low population shard is pretty much screwed when it comes to scrolls.

Last edited:

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you can only afford to scroll a pet or two think about: cold platinum/crimson drake, fire platinum/crimson drake/fire steed. Also even a cold drake with overcapped wres/tactics could be better.
In my opinion, if you can scroll only one pet, I would choose a Chiv/AI lesser hiryu before any of the others named. They aren't cramped on points, they hit like a freight train when the Chivalry raises, and the grasping claw ability they come with works really well with the 100% physical damage they do.

Day in, day out, it is my "go to" pet. Even on bosses that are strong against physical damage, their DPS seems to be better than anything else. MOST of the time! I do swap out pets as needed though, with regard to damage types vs. resists. But if it is even remotely close, Chiv/AI Lesser Hiryu, FTW!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My suggestions were more of a dps thing, particularly that are viable on the roof (should they ever fix anon) and most peerless encounters. Good for balron farming, ww farming, gd farming, etc. If you want to kill things fast.

My hiryus always end up on a storage tamer. But I will pull one off, if i can even find them, and put them into my testing rotations.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have yet to add a single scroll to a pet. Seriously, they are next to impossible for the average player to get on Pacific. My guildmates gave me a 120 taming and lore scroll for my character, and another guildy sold me a vet scroll for cheap. That's all I've ever had.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My suggestions were more of a dps thing, particularly that are viable on the roof (should they ever fix anon) and most peerless encounters. Good for balron farming, ww farming, gd farming, etc. If you want to kill things fast.

My hiryus always end up on a storage tamer. But I will pull one off, if i can even find them, and put them into my testing rotations.
You may be surprised at the DPS they do. In a good way. :)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You may be surprised at the DPS they do. In a good way. :)
If they are on a storage character, it's because they already disappointed me. I did some ability firing testing awhile ago on them.

However, I am about factual information, even if it goes against what I feel or think i perceive. Human perception is pretty flawed, which is why we use logging and video recording.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Speaking of DPS, I feel more towards a balance is necessary. If I wanted pure DPS I’d run a different template. I feel that DPS needs to be balanced with survivability is important.
I run a Naja with Poison Breath and Frenzied whirlwind at Turtle and other mob-dense areas because it’s starting stats and DPS allow me to pack points into HPs. This combo, running consume, allows it to even take a 10 phoenixes at turtle, while sitting on a blaze pool that does DOT and still not worry.

In other areas, I have a a Cu that is strictly meatshield that does not have Ai/Chiv that has 1100 HP and 120 healing. I’ll stick that on with consume and multi client with two other tamers for builds that suck on HP but have crazy high DPS. After all said and done, it comes down to your play style.

If your play style was/is All Kill and park it while you glance at the screen every so often, yeah, you got gimped. But that’s just lazy playing IMO anyway and not how I choose to play.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If your play style was/is All Kill and park it while you glance at the screen every so often, yeah, you got gimped. But that’s just lazy playing IMO anyway and not how I choose to play.
The dps of a trained chiv/ai pet with that playstyle will still be much higher than a greater dragon doing the same. Still wouldn't call it gimped. Lazy, yes, and if that is how someone wants to play, thats on them! But that player cannot expect to beat a sampire or any other class that actively participates in an encounter with the game and that of an all kill/afk playstyle.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I meant the Consume Damage nerfs in particular. Damage wise, if you’re still using a GD for everything, that’s a problem you can fix. I can’t think of anything that nerfed damage recently.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One viable option other than the Chiv/AI Cu

...is a Disco/(not AI) Cu.

The Disco makes the AI less effective, so you can try some other options, including ones that stack debuffs with Disco.
It also frees up the tamer from having to have Disco personally. In fact, if your pet is the one doing the Disco, you can invis and hang back, and not have to worry about the disco dropping because the monster can no longer see you. You only have to be invis when you step in to heal or use a mastery.
Disco is also still relatively cheap, as PS go that work on pets.

Frost dragons (even ones starting at 5 slots, and no training) are still fun, and training up a cold drake can produce a fun pet.

Giant Beetles have their uses - especially where lots of gold drops, or you want to clean the junk out of a boss corpse to sort later or unravel.

And, always, remember that what works for others, usually won't work for your exact playstyle - don't be afraid to experiment on TC to find something you feel comfortable with.

As for my tamer template, with equipment (items bold are 120 natural)
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Disco or Peace (soulstone swap)
100+ Magery

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they are on a storage character, it's because they already disappointed me. I did some ability firing testing awhile ago on them.

However, I am about factual information, even if it goes against what I feel or think i perceive. Human perception is pretty flawed, which is why we use logging and video recording.
So you are saying Hiryus use different formulas than other pets? How do they do less damage if the builds are the same and targets resist is not the high physical. And now we know why you have not seen what we talk about with a Hiryus mana usage vs other pet types. Yours are hidden in the corner of a stable.

You sound like that guy who thinks certain pet types are squishy.

While we were both at the drone you could have seen all my pet types doing the same damages to the drone. Your WW was the only pet that did more. Dang Flappy pet.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you are saying Hiryus use different formulas than other pets? How do they do less damage if the builds are the same and targets resist is not the high physical. And now we know why you have not seen what we talk about with a Hiryus mana usage vs other pet types. Yours are hidden in the corner of a stable.

You sound like that guy who thinks certain pet types are squishy.

While we were both at the drone you could have seen all my pet types doing the same damages to the drone. Your WW was the only pet that did more. Dang Flappy pet.
Hiryus follow the same formulas. I spent 2 days tested these guys pretty extensively awhile back, before I posted my results i noticed an anomaly (not regarding mana regen, thats the same as other pets), but I had other testing and needed the stable room. I'm bringing it out again to test, redo my intial tests and do dreadhorn dps testing to go along with all the other pets.

My physical pet of choice is my legacy dragons. :party:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No need to discuss anomalies here. Stick to the DPS. :)

Also, I swear the higher the Chiv gets on any pet I have above 105 ish, the longer the original mana pool lasts.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
This is hugely dependent on the template you run. Remember, the pets are not characters, but your weapon set when you are a tamer. Your Chiv AI Cu is a sampires sword.

Working in tandem with your pet is what’s important. Having a skill set to enhance the experience. This is why there are so many Discordance tamers. Reduces incoming and increasing outgoing damage values. Or Spellweaving tamers to pack on a bunch of extra damage at the end. Heck, i even have an Archer Tamer that pretty much allows me to Triple my damage output.

It’s not the pets themselves. It how’s you build them, along with you how you use them. I use a variety of about 8 pets on a regular basis for the monsters I hunt. I can use others more depending on the scenario.

It just takes patience and hard work to build a strong enough repertoire of pets to work most situations.

That said, the Chiv AI Cu is certainly more popular, as are PP pets and RC beetles, but I find I have more fun stepping outside of the box a bit.
If ya don't mind me asking, what's your archer tamer template? I have one I'm still working on leveling up that I want to start playing more once I find some taming/lore power scrolls. She's mostly archer/tamer for RP reasons, but I'm curious how they actually do in normal PVM.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry but why in the heck would ANYONE farm balrons, Dragons or any of that crap?

What people want to do is something that either makes money or gets them things they need/want. Balrons don't drop squat.

People want to get drops from Blackthorns... don't want to take 20 years to get enough drops from Blackthorns to get anything want to be able to kill the stuff in the cities... But once again... tamers aren't so good for that unless you go with a group...

People want to go to Doom and get the new stuff and scrolls but tamers are nearly useless there thanks to the "improvements" there.

People want stuff from the roof... but now that people have gone and ruined that it's harder to find anyone willing to go...

We want PS but getting them on a tamer is an effort in near futility... can't defend yourself... and if you bring a tamer and pet that can defend yourself you can't do the spawn... Why would I take a Sampire to do something to get the PS I want on my Tamer??? If I wanted to do everything with a Sampire I'd play my Sampire and F'the PS and everything else... because I don't need them for Sampires.

Truth is want to have FUN playing my Tamer... but to do that I want to build more and more awesome pets and test them out... but that requires more and more scrolls that are either too expensive or too hard to get.

Most the junk you are talking about killing any fool can kill quite easily with nearly any build... I could farm tons of those things 10x better on a Sampire...

That's the complaint... Hell I could farm 90% of that much better on my ABC Archer... and FASTER... again that's the complaint.

The Pet Publish didn't do anything to improve the tamers plight... it just was a pipe dream. Mages, Archers, Sampires, and dozens of other templates out damage pretty much every pet FAR faster.

Reason you see GD still over pretty much anything else at EM Events is they are easy to get... they have HP to end all... and they don't require anything but some training. So they live longer than most other pets when standing in pools of crap that would destroy most other pets.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If ya don't mind me asking, what's your archer tamer template? I have one I'm still working on leveling up that I want to start playing more once I find some taming/lore power scrolls. She's mostly archer/tamer for RP reasons, but I'm curious how they actually do in normal PVM.
My archer template is
120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Taming
120 Lore
80 anatomy
80 healing
80chiv

You can titrate this on the last 3 the way you want by adding/subtracting from the first 4 with items, but that’s what I use raw.

And to the last comment, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but

THIS ISNT ULTIMA TAMERS ONLINE

You cannot do all content with one template. I mean, you can, but it’s nowhere as efficient or fun to do so. If you have a problem with that, then leave the game. The only one keeping your sub going is you. You can gripe and moan all you want but at the end of the day the content, while not perfectly so, is balanced so that one template isn’t able to do everything.

North_LS

Journeyman
We want PS but getting them on a tamer is an effort in near futility... can't defend yourself... and if you bring a tamer and pet that can defend yourself you can't do the spawn... Why would I take a Sampire to do something to get the PS I want on my Tamer??? If I wanted to do everything with a Sampire I'd play my Sampire and F'the PS and everything else... because I don't need them for Sampires.
A necro tamer is fantastic for spawns. regarding defending yourself, if the spawn gets raided im packing up and leaving whether im on a tamer or a sampire. not worth the effort.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my opinion, if you can scroll only one pet, I would choose a Chiv/AI lesser hiryu before any of the others named. They aren't cramped on points, they hit like a freight train when the Chivalry raises, and the grasping claw ability they come with works really well with the 100% physical damage they do.

Day in, day out, it is my "go to" pet. Even on bosses that are strong against physical damage, their DPS seems to be better than anything else. MOST of the time! I do swap out pets as needed though, with regard to damage types vs. resists. But if it is even remotely close, Chiv/AI Lesser Hiryu, FTW!
They’re also noisy little critters with that chomping noise :devil: