• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Do you make stuff, or are you a crafter?

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just idle curiosity, but do you enjoy playing craftspersons, or do you just make stuff for your "main"?

What would you need to be able to make, craft, or customize to make playing a person who makes things fun?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My blacksmith/miner is also a macer and able to kill ore elementals. My bowcrafter/lumberjack is also a chivalry/swords character and has been glorious lord for years. My alchemist/scribe/mage/imbuer/carpenter was able to get points for the Queens forge no problem. My Tailor/mage/tamer is pretty good at collecting leather. I used to be a crafter but with the changes that occured it seems I had no funciton needed by others in the game anymore so I make stuff for my own characters and once in a while someone else. I actually enjoy making stuff. Always did.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I actually enjoy crafting. However, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for crafted items unless they are the ones requiring difficult-to-obtain resources and/or the embuing skill. Today I mainly use crafting for my own deco needs, or to accommodate friends free of charge. My favorite thing is playing a Chef, which is pretty much a dead-end occupation these days; so I just keep a vendor in my house to make free edibles available for the occasional player who passes by and stops to grab a snack. The other vendor holds a few discounted goods, including my distillery brews that are priced like the generic ones available at any Inn.

As for the second question, I imagine crafting could be more fun if we still had a steady influx of new players into the game (a factor we can't do anything about). That, and if worn items were no longer insured or blessed and actually wore out. I'd love to hear what other crafters would suggest, as I'm not terribly imaginative.

5% Luck

I know quite a few players who really spend most of their time playing an artificer. They make to order suits and weapons. They do enjoy it and make a good dime doing it.

For me its always been a means to an end.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just idle curiosity, but do you enjoy playing craftspersons, or do you just make stuff for your "main"?

What would you need to be able to make, craft, or customize to make playing a person who makes things fun?
If I could get a steady flow of business, then I would probably play my crafters 80% of the time.

K

Kayne

I mainly enjoy the gathering side of crafting - though I do have to be in the right mood for it.

To make playing a crafter fun for me would be to make them useful and needed. Like the brit forge days that everyone talks about - that would be fun being out there for the community. Sometimes I just don't want to wander around killing stuff and crafting would be fun if there was a community feeling to it

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play in the crafting corner of this sandbox all I can. It's the part of the game I truly enjoy.

My main two Crafters I've had from day one back in 2000. Landreu pretty much unchanged, Valana started primarily as Alchemist/Scribe and did all the foraging for ore & wood with enough Magery skills to thump anything that decided she'd make a good snack.

Landreu has Legendary Smithing, and Tailoring, GM Fletching, Carpentry, Tinkering, and Arms Lore, 20 points of Music, and 60 points of Magery. His standard set of jewelry and a Tome of Knowledge brings his Magery up to GM. Another set of jewelry brings his Music up to 45 to make music Instruments.

His daughter Valana currently has 120 Imbuing, GM Item Identification, Alchemy, Inscription, Cooking, and Forensic Evaluation, with the rest of her points in Magery. With jewelry and a book her Magery is legendary.

Between the two of them, they can make just about everything.

A crafting trainee named Shadlor, on another account, is a GM Alchemist and is working on GM Inscription. He gives me a way to make plant potions or cannon supplies with either account while doing something else with the other account, or to double team potions & cannon supplies dual client if needed.

Occasionally, if I really need a crafting fix, I'll make items and sell them to NPC vendors.

I currently run four vendors in Luna and eleven more just outside Luna, primarily selling craftables and plant products. I'm currently going through my seed collection and growing a variety of plants in the various colors to stock 15 more vendors with plants along the front of my greenhouse. I expect to have them all up & lightly stocked by mid January.

And last, I do reagent buy runs to supply my potion needs for plants & to sell on a vendor in Luna. I will take some orders for reagents to get in addition to my own needs and charge 2x the NPC price for them instead of the 4x to 5x I charge on a vendor. It's typically an all day project done every few weeks to every couple months.

P

pgib

I've built crafters to serve my main character: i don't know in your shard but here in Europa if you want a crafted soup-slayer spoon you're asked for like 100 millions (and the same was for pre-imbuing era, just for worse runic items).