• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do I Need to Craft Anymore?

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of sounding like a troll I will rate each of your responses in terms of helpfulness.

Rupert Avery (7/10)
Direct and to the point, however, he lost points mentioning skills I don't have like Alchemy, etc. I don't have them, so I am not slightly interested in them. Nor did I ask about them.

virtualhabitat (7/10)
Again losses points mentioning a ton of skills I dont have. But he was to the point about Blacksmith and Tailoring.

Petra Fyde (6/10)
I was disappointing by a Managing Editor (whoever that is) posting "dont like it, dont do it". It is risky to say this, because in other words, you are basically admitting crafting is useless. I never mentioned if I disliked crafting. I asked how useful it is. Did give some good specifics regarding stats though.

Uvtha (8/10)
Very helpful post. Did not try to "sell" me other skills, AND gave me specific examples

Meatbread (7/10)
I LOVED how he started his post about me not understanding top-end equipment. Because he is right. But I would love to see an example of top end gear. Link me something...

Smokin (1/10)
A real troll. Want to know why? Here is a guy who automatically assumes that phrases like "end game" and "leveling" are attached to an A.D.D. "new gamer" mentality that is after the UBER gear like a 15 year old zit faced WoW player who says "umadbro" to other players in pvp after "pwning" them. Am I that? Or am I a 41 gamer dad with lots of gaming experience going back to UO in 1997, when I drove to CompUsa to buy that 33.6 to 56k modem upgrade just to play UO? And who despises the very type of gamer you think I am?

old gypsy (4/10)
A partial "elitist" insult. This is usually done by someone who has some GM skills, and wants to make themselves feel better by calling non-GM players "C-students"..

Thunderz (9/10)
Easily the most helpful post. In a few minutes he whipped up some things that are suddenly getting me more interested in crafting.

Sevin0oo0 (8/10)
Nice post. Stayed positive and encouraged me.
This gave me a good laugh, thank you sir.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've read this post several times and I honestly don't get it, and the post rating other posts didn't help.

Is the question, "does someone heed to craft?" Then the answer is yes. Just to take your Paladin's armor as an example, I am not sure what you mean by "the valor suit." The Knight's Armor from the turn-in? The blessed Virtue Armor? The Plate of Honor set? Either way, crafting (defined broadly as "a skill used to make stuff") can produce much better armor. The Virtue Armor lacks even night sight. Same for the Soul Seeker. It's a nice weapon that'll always be in wide use but using it against everything isn't a good idea, and some kind of crafting skill (defined broadly as "a skill used to make stuff") will always be necessary for weapons. Some monsters these days actually harm you when you use life leach on them, thus making the Soul Seeker impractical. Also, Undead does extra damage to you when you carry a Repond weapon. So no matter what you will need to carry at least one other weapon.

Is your question, "do I personally need to craft?" Then the answer is and has always been no. You, personally, do not need to craft, you can be a buyer and trader.

I have gone the latter route, have never once had a crafter, for the entire time I've played and that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 or 14 years.

-Galen's player

G

gurugeek

Hello :) sorry for jumping in !
Back in the game after circa 7 years !
I have a GM lumber/carpenter/tailor and I really like crafting. After a lot of looking around was lucky to find a house for sale that I bought (this was done mainly because I do not enjoy a lot the rune exchange thing and I feel more motivated with a luna shop...).

Question:
I know that the game has changed and that some things do not sell at all (tailoring stuff, fire robes, even marble robes do not sell so well I think) BUT what do you think it could sell well as a Carpenter ? I do have containers and special statues (squirrel, warrior, arcanist) on my vendor including some in frostwood/bloodwood. If you have any suggestion on what would sell decently well on carpentry it would be much appreciated.

I like carpentry so it does not have to be the most profitable items in the game but something that people will/can use.

Wooden armors are a bit complicated for me to understand: if I use a reward tool it gets extra properties but as these are random it can be very tricky to make a good set ?

Any suggestion on carpentry crafting /sellable (again I have almost all special recipes and all type of wood) will be very much appreciated !
Thanks
Zwergseidenaff