• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do I need Focus?

D

DivaReva

I am concidering changing some of my character skills and need to eliminate something to make room for inscription on my mage. My mage currently has both meditation and focus at 100. My eval is 115, magery at 110, spirit speak at 100, necro at 80( planning on going to 100) , am also planning on 100 inscription. Do I need focus? and meditation ? or just meditation?

I

imported_GFY

Focus would be the best choice. Focus regenerates 1/2 the mana that med does at the same level.

If you have the room you should push necro to 105 so you don't fail your lower level spells.

D

DivaReva

I forgot to mention, I am also wanting to add spell weaving. Would this make any difference on focus or meditation needs?

I

imported_GFY

I'll admit I don't play a spellweaver. My mage has 115 med, 11 regen built into his suit, and a bunch of mana increase in his suit. (max mana is 192 depending on which spellbook I use) I never run out of mana for very long. I can cast 2 G.heal spells and by the time my second G.heal is ready I've already regenerated the mana from the first one.

You will have to watch you mana (this should be second nature to a mage anyway) obviously you can't cast Word of Death with low mana. But you shouldn't be low for long.

C

Calvin

When I run my Doom mage, I tend to run out of mana since I replaced focus with spellweaving, but, if you use the necro forms, you should be able to replace focus with a necro form and not miss focus. But, I do miss focus, I never ran out of mana before, now, I have MR of about 14 and don't run out for long, but I do run out when continuously casting.

Focus just wouldn't fit, and it had to go, there was no other option.

G

Good_Ole_Lefty

During the last PvP Publish both Meditation and Focus were reworked. They no longer work in scales of 10 and 20's. Now as far as this being tied up to get full MR of items pretty much equals both skills out as far as MR Rate. Yes focus is a bit slower, but the difference is narrowed down more and more as you stack your MR items past MR 8.

I have discussed this with my guildmates and a few have dropped med for focus once having a good mr suit. The need for focus on our mages is to help counter stamina loss in combat. So overall it is a personal choice. Give it a shot on test and see and compare.