• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do GM's exist? and the Unable to load into the game fully bug.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I am opening up a bucket of worms here but %!@^&*@)! I was logging on Asuka the other day to grab a xmas statue when I happened to log in to one of my few 'characters on asian shards that the screen never fully loads 'blank/black screen' and all I can see is names of things when i first log in or if someone talks' things and I decide to hop on my other account to page a GM about it. I dont know what causes this but its been this way for years on these few select chars and I figure if anyone the GM could move me or something, fix it.

So I page and sit down for the long haul, having to completely log back in on the one account because there's nothing I can do to keep it from logging me out to inactivity. After over 3 hours I gave up, and went to cancel my page. Well as most of us know, you cant do that anymore.... its there untill a GM or a force of god clears it. So IF GM's do exist, I will most likely get a reply back on LS my home shard in a few days or I'll be offline and I'll just get a canned response about how I wasn't there and they couldn't figure out what I needed (obviously, I am no longer on the right shard or sitting beside the character). Or I'll just get the canned response that I should'v just found my solution in EA's wonderful knowledge base that more or less treats UO like a ******* red headed step child of their former dog sitters best friends aunt's hairdresser.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
average GM wait time on Atlantic shard is 3-4 days, on Asuka....well...I hope you get this fixed while its still 2013...lol

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are all your chars on that account bugged?
Does your other accounts log in ok?
Have you tried to delete the char file on your hard drive?

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are all your chars on that account bugged?
Does your other accounts log in ok?
Have you tried to delete the char file on your hard drive?

No.
Yes.
I did actually try that since you brought it up, but apparently since I never made a macro or saved one on that char or shard for that matter, I dont even have a char file for him.

pumpkin_escobar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Had an issue like this a while back, I deleted the character file and when I logged back in the issue was fixed

T

Tazar

No.
Yes.
I did actually try that since you brought it up, but apparently since I never made a macro or saved one on that char or shard for that matter, I dont even have a char file for him.
Even without a macro, once you log in the character a character file is created. It stores other info such as your desktop settings, etc. It has to be there. It should be in your "My Documents" folder/EA Games/Ultima Online (Legacy or Stygian Abyss - depending on which client you use)/User Data/(Account Name)/(Shard Name)/(Character Name). Delete that file (or folder if you are in 2D) and the next time you log in it will be recreated and will hopefully correct your problem.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
average GM wait time on Atlantic shard is 3-4 days, on Asuka....well...I hope you get this fixed while its still 2013...lol

Well, thats not encouraging.... since I am barely on Asuka as it is.... it will prob be sometime next year before I even try to get it resolved again knowing how much time I have to waste on nothing. Rinse and repeat, looks like I'll never be able to check that char for server births in his bank. :(

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even without a macro, once you log in the character a character file is created. It stores other info such as your desktop settings, etc. It has to be there. It should be in your "My Documents" folder/EA Games/Ultima Online (Legacy or Stygian Abyss - depending on which client you use)/User Data/(Account Name)/(Shard Name)/(Character Name). Delete that file (or folder if you are in 2D) and the next time you log in it will be recreated and will hopefully correct your problem.

True, I logged in on another char that I had recently created, didnt create a macro, logged and looked and there was a char data for it. Problem is on the char in question, the char doesnt log in all the way, so apparently doesnt create the file, because its not there.
Maybe I could try to rename the one for the other char to the one I have, and maybe that may fix it. I dunno, the char is a young char if that changes anything.

T

Tazar

Not sure - but your idea of making a copy of another and renaming it sounds worth trying. After that, if the character is that young, I'd try deleting and recreating it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No.
Yes.
When you log in a new char it creates a char file. Find that char file on your hard drive and delete it or if you have the char space on that shard just make a new char.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure - but your idea of making a copy of another and renaming it sounds worth trying. After that, if the character is that young, I'd try deleting and recreating it.

Tried it.... didnt work, same effect. I only have 2 characters on that shard and account. Its not about room, its about wanting to check his bank for hidden treasures, even if its not likely. I bought this particular account 10 years ago, and in the last couple years I've found server birth bloody bowls and pewter mugs, etc in chars banks on asian shards, so I am hoping.

When you log in a new char it creates a char file. Find that char file on your hard drive and delete it or if you have the char space on that shard just make a new char.

But since its not fully logging in, it isnt creating the file. So its technically already deleted.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I've a char on some asian shard on one account that is blackholed in the cc. Then I remember it and log that char in with the "other client" and I can get my presents/ rewards or whatever, but I can never use that char in the cc its somewhat out of order....

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had this problem with one of Goodman's characters and it took me 5 years to get it fixed. Granted I only paged a GM every time I logged it in to collect holiday gifts. I tried to wait for a GM but would finally give up every year after several hours of waiting each time.

I paged with another account this year and finally got a GM to come and look at it. Very frustrating. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After the Enhanced Client suggestion from Chrille, I had some success. I updated EC and I could log in. I checked the character's bank and nothing great unfortunately. I had a practice sword in my hand that i noticed was 4 stones over what I had in STR. I took it off, tried to put it back on and it fell to the ground. Thinking this may of been the CC problem, I tried logging in, still no luck. Back in EC, I stripped naked and went to luna, thinking that a run through the moongate would help. It did, it changed me out of young status. When I logged back in on CC it logged in fine and with my gift. So to anyone who has this problem, I would suggest first logging into EC and dropping young status if is has it, then trying again on CC. Hopefully this solves all problems. Thanks for all the help and input on this, guys and gals.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They certainly exsist...and they certainly help...i use classic cleint...though i doubt it does not matter....and you dont have to wait round for them either.... post your problem...and they will deal with it if your instructions are clear enough...they have helped with many times...some while i was online they just came to be and asked in /gm channel...other times they sorted my problem was i was not even online......AND last occasion was around 3 weeks ago....sorted within 24 hours of posting the problem and was done while i was away at real work....logged in and the problem had been resolved......so the answer is YES

remember they work normal working days 8 till 5..[....kinda guessing east and west usa time zones].so dont expect them to turn up two hours after midnight...post ya problem...be clear..and they will resolve it

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If deleting the char's files doesn't work and it requires a GM's intervention (when both clients won't work), that sounds the classic "blackhole" that was always in the game, though it used to be much more common. I thought it had finally been fixed years ago. A lot of the time a character would be fixed with the next server maintenance.

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i needed help with a bugged character today, and I only had to wait 15 minutes. i have found that on the weekend it is hard to get help, but during the week, it is very fast.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I decide to hop on my other account to page a GM about it.
I wonder if you did get a GM if they would help you, given you were not paging from the affected account. Hmm.
So I page and sit down for the long haul, having to completely log back in on the one account because there's nothing I can do to keep it from logging me out to inactivity. After over 3 hours I gave up, and went to cancel my page. Well as most of us know, you cant do that anymore.... its there untill a GM or a force of god clears it. So IF GM's do exist, I will most likely get a reply back on LS my home shard in a few days or I'll be offline and I'll just get a canned response [...]
I wonder when they broke the cancel button. I assume it had to be sometime this year? Sometimes it's useful, and sometimes it's pretty annoying.

Oh well, least you came to somewhat of a solution with EC :/.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i needed help with a bugged character today, and I only had to wait 15 minutes. i have found that on the weekend it is hard to get help, but during the week, it is very fast.
i seriously doubt they work overtme at weekends..will be a paid 9-5 job weekdays

Last edited:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't shoot the messenger but.......
A Gm from Asuka (or any of the Japanese shards) will NOT respond to you other then a canned message unless you address them in the proper language of the shard. On Asuka I believe that is Kanji. I had a housing problem there and paged (off and on) for literally +2 years hoping I'd get one that would over look the language barrier. No luck.

I even had them respond something like, "Please address your concern in the proper language of this shard so we may effectively remedy your concern. Thank you, Bye."

Good luck man.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i seriously doubt they work overtme at weekends..will be a paid 9-5 job weekdays
i agree with you on that, but they probably have at least one poor soul on the weekend for game-stopping emergencies.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry for the huge post, I've been away from the computer for 2 days.

They certainly exsist...and they certainly help...i use classic cleint...though i doubt it does not matter....and you dont have to wait round for them either.... post your problem...and they will deal with it if your instructions are clear enough...they have helped with many times...some while i was online they just came to be and asked in /gm channel...other times they sorted my problem was i was not even online......AND last occasion was around 3 weeks ago....sorted within 24 hours of posting the problem and was done while i was away at real work....logged in and the problem had been resolved......so the answer is YES

remember they work normal working days 8 till 5..[....kinda guessing east and west usa time zones].so dont expect them to turn up two hours after midnight...post ya problem...be clear..and they will resolve it

Well on LS in the past I have posted very clear messages (basically drew a road map even) before and got canned messages. Though I am happy you've had luck.
I dont know as I agree that IF a GM only works 8 to 5, that he should.... or rather I think there should be shifts. I mean honestly how many of us have problems with UO during normal work hours? Generally speaking alot of us aren't even playing then.

I wonder if you did get a GM if they would help you, given you were not paging from the affected account. Hmm.

I wonder when they broke the cancel button. I assume it had to be sometime this year? Sometimes it's useful, and sometimes it's pretty annoying.

Oh well, least you came to somewhat of a solution with EC :/.

Not sure, but I swear ive heard about it in the distant past, but I could be wrong. But yeah, least everything is hunkey-dorey again.

Don't shoot the messenger but.......
A Gm from Asuka (or any of the Japanese shards) will NOT respond to you other then a canned message unless you address them in the proper language of the shard. On Asuka I believe that is Kanji. I had a housing problem there and paged (off and on) for literally +2 years hoping I'd get one that would over look the language barrier. No luck.

I even had them respond something like, "Please address your concern in the proper language of this shard so we may effectively remedy your concern. Thank you, Bye."

Good luck man.
Well, considering the GM's listed on cakes and similar, and the fact that UO isnt a top earner exactly, and other past info, I find it puzzling/doubtfull that every shard even has their own GM, let alone does a GM solely work on one game. Remember the GMs thanking you for playing Dark ages of camelot in the past (maybe not you but a few ppl had it happen)? But it does make sense I guess that an asian shard has an asian language GM. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Japanese shards have their own teams, separate and independent from the UO state side teams. They still answer to the Dark Lady of course but they're given freedom to hire their own staff and to a certain extent, manage their own business. This is why on occasion the Japanese shards get different items available to them both in game and in their stores. This is also why the Japanese version of UO's Character Search was still up and running close to 2 years after UO took down the state side equivalent. (It was nice to still be able to use their website for that function until they removed it :( )

I am uncertain whether this holds true for other foreign shards but the independence of the Japanese shards has been addressed more then a few times over the years. As for all the U.S. shards, we share a common GM pool.