• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do Gargoyles need to be changed ?

Would you make a gargoyle if

• Had Higher base hitpoints

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Had higher Base Dex

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Had higher Base Stamina

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Change berzerk to something useful

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Gargoyles are fine just the way they are.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Gargoyles need changed, But i dont know what

Votes: 21 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see alot of comments how gargoyles are not worth changing Races for.
What incentive would make people switch to a gargoyle ?
Gargoyles are just oversized crafters, a small chance at imbuing success is not gonna make me change my warrior to a Gargoyle.

Berzerk drops resist way too low and more often then not gets the gargoyle killed.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Re: Do Gargoyles need Changed???

they need change but none of the above while base stats would be nice you still end up in the end with a poor race, changing berzerk might help just depends on what it changed to!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

maybe if you changed max stats!

T

The Fallout

Increased stamina (i voted dex by accident) by 20, like how elves have increased mana. Also, make throwing better.

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes that would work have a higher stat of like lets say 270 vs 255 would that be enough ??

D

Dar_Napa

I think if they would let gargoyles tame CU's I would switch my tamer over. Ability to fly with a greater dragon would be nice..

C

Connor_Graham

Gargoyles do not "need changed". They might need to be changed, but they'll never, ever "need changed".

G

guum

Gargoyles definitely need to be changed, but none of the options on this poll are good ones.

Here's what they *do* absolutely, positively need without any further delay:

-Earrings and Necklace need to be meddable by default.
-Berserk needs to either be changed to an active skill or made so that it doesn't dock DCI.

Things I personally would also like to see done:

-Improvements to throwing to make it less of a headache.
-Flying made to be more than just a "hidden ethy" -- make it so that you can really fly in tram rulesets.
or
-Some other fun/unique ability to set them apart.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

Definitely agree earings and necklace need love!

C

Connor_Graham

My gargoyle is still a baby lol
Then it might "need changing" or might "need to be changed", but not "need changed", unless you gave someone a hundred dollar bill and are waiting for your change. :thumbsup:

Sorry, pet peeve. Comes from spending too much time in Texas lol.

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then it might "need changing" or might "need to be changed", but not "need changed", unless you gave someone a hundred dollar bill and are waiting for your change. :thumbsup:

Sorry, pet peeve. Comes from spending too much time in Texas lol.
I fixed the title lol ..Leave texas out of this *Flares Nostrils*

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Make gargoyle earrings and necklaces meddable without the need to have the Mage Armor property.

Give them a strength boost that makes them stronger than elves but not as strong as humans.

Because any template that includes both throwing and swords is going to be awfully cramped for fitting in other skills such as Resisting Spells, give them a slight chance to resist spells even if they don't have any Resisting Spells skill.

L

Llams Anit

Did they not have Beta testing for S.A?

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

They did, and gargoyles were actually alright then. You could use existing artifacts (no gorgets, headgear or gloves though), and you could imbue normal earrings and jewelry with standard jewelry mods to make up for the lack of gorgets and helmets. They were actually about equal then (even though they lost stamina like mother ****ers)

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

They did, and gargoyles were actually alright then. You could use existing artifacts (no gorgets, headgear or gloves though), and you could imbue normal earrings and jewelry with standard jewelry mods to make up for the lack of gorgets and helmets. They were actually about equal then (even though they lost stamina like mother ****ers)
yes all my characters were gargoyle in beta i loved playing with them.....since production they suck.beta could not truly test all situations.

Y

Yen Sid

Night Sight, seeming Gargoyles are really creatures of the night... Or maybe they already have it and my Garg is bugged... either way... Night Sight would be a nice addition.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

they need nightsight..
i also agree about earrings and necklaces..
more carrying ability then humans and elfs would be nice.. after all my gargoyle is like 10 feet tall.. yet he cant carry anything heavy?

G

guum

During beta, gargoyles were not the same, so people assumed they weren't equal. People may have been correct. But in an attempt to make gargoyles work in the same way as humans & elves, they became very clearly unbalanced (in a negative way).

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have one gargoyle and don't have any plans of having anymore. Biggest issue is the armour and weapons. I don't like it that you can only convert certain armour even if it is a chest, arm or leg item, and then there isn't any way to convert it back. I would be nice if items that were converted to gargoyle only had a tag of "converted" just like imbued, and then if you wanted to convert it back, you could complete a quest to gain some elixer to convert armour/weapon back to its original state.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Do they? Yes.

I don't know if the Stamina drain while flying got removed, I heard something about it, but if not that would need to go for a start.

Flying is a benefit in having no control slots, but a negative in both not being able to mount pets to save them and no armoured swampys. As its an inate part of the race I don't think it could really be changed but it should have some good bonuses elsewhere to make up for it and at the moment it doesn't.

Berserk is annoying, having your resists drop when low is the last thing you need, 15 SSI bonus when you're taking damage at that low health would mean your stamina is also shot so thats worthless too. 1 FC is also useless as anyone who uses it would already have it equipped. I think Berserk should do what its description suggests and give a damage boost to weapons or spells or both, it should be activated after a set amount of damage taken regardless of hp level. So for example every 50 points of damage taken you might get +10 DI/SDI for 10 seconds.

Deadly Aim (Throwing JOAT) is worthless. So is Mystic Insight. (imo) These need completely replacing. they're racially supposed to be bigger and stronger than humans so they should have a higher carrying capacity or Strength cap. Natural ferocity? 5 SSI?

Item conversion still one way? If so thats a huge drawback also.

& yeah, during beta 4 jewlery slots sort of made up for all the other suckiness, but was changed at the last minute.

At least, these are my reasons for not making one, the only bonus is the Imbuing and I don't mind not having it.

Z

Zero Day

I voted for Berzerk because it is a huge PITA.

Other than that, in beta I did a runic suit and imbued strength, dex, lmc and resists on my earrings. So I was all 70's with 40 lmc MR 8 and 150 str/dex and 36 Mana. (Not int)

I haven't gotten up my level of imbuing yet to do the earings but i have a suit that other than poison and cold everything else is high 60's or low 70's with SR 4 MR 6 hci 28 FC/FCR 2/5 DCI 22 and LMC 34.
Side mods are + 11 mana + 9 hp and + 12 stamina.

And I think I have 12 Str 8 int and 5 Dex spread across jewelry

And I'm at STR 133, Int 28 Dex 105
Still have 4 more stats to gain.
This is without weapons equipped.

Other than the weapons being a bit slower and getting used to my actual position while flying I'm not finding much difficulty with my gargoyles.
I currently have 3
My mage is just all 60's 100LRC MR 4 and LMC 37. But that was just barbed suit and not many mods.
Once I get some of the artifacts I think they'll shape up well.

I'm liking my gargs so far.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LG pretty much hit all the points, except for the earrings/necklace being medable. As it stands, Gargoyles are the LEAST desirable race. A bonus to carrying and a higher STR cap, or perhaps a bonus to stamina would be a start. Get rid of Beserk or make it actually useful not just "hey! now you can kill me faster!"

Flying ... meh. Its just not that cool. Sure, if you are a tamer its ok, but other than that, it is underwhelming. Not saying that it should go, just saying it is not enough to really make them desirable.

Deadly aim ... its a joke. What on earth would anyone want or need JOAT for throwing? And the bonus to Imbuing is very tiny where you actually need it - on the high difficulty imbue its like .2%

Give me some GOOD reason to use a gargoyle, and I am there!

S

Smokin

I am think they will have to come up with an item that can be like the gargoyle version of crimson cincture(spelling), and maybe thinking that they are immune to lesser poison. I think that might be a huge thing to add.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am think they will have to come up with an item that can be like the gargoyle version of crimson cincture(spelling), and maybe thinking that they are immune to lesser poison. I think that might be a huge thing to add.
And lieutenant sash and inquisitors and mace and shields and blah blah blah

Basically garg suits SUCK compared to elf and humans.

G

Gelf

Wouldn't mind changing berzerk mods to a straight 15 dci or 10/10 hci/dci

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrug* My gargoyle is already by far the most effective/powerful of all my characters and he's only half-finished.

M

MorganaLeFey

yes all my characters were gargoyle in beta i loved playing with them.....since production they suck.beta could not truly test all situations.
Yeah, they changed a few things after beta closed and we weren't necessarily made aware of what those changes were. Which is okay in that it made it a level playing field so to speak.

However, I've got a long ways to go to duplicate my Beta garg's abilities. A long ways to go.

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Make gargoyle earrings and necklaces meddable without the need to have the Mage Armor property.

Give them a strength boost that makes them stronger than elves but not as strong as humans.

Because any template that includes both throwing and swords is going to be awfully cramped for fitting in other skills such as Resisting Spells, give them a slight chance to resist spells even if they don't have any Resisting Spells skill.
Next patch they are fixing the necklaces and earings ;)