• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do any of the devs or art team consider this?

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to know if the Dev team or the Art Team ever thought of actually posting art that was still in concept, meaning before they try to put it into the game, and let us vote on it?

Good question. In a way we already sortof do this- just without the posting of concept art/design docs. You folks vote on what you'd like to see in the next expansion with every post to these boards. I swear these boards get read a BUNCH.
In any case as far as art goes, by the time we get around to the concept art phase of deveopement we usually need very quick turnaround, waiting for vote tallys before proceding would at least double the developement time, thus either cutting what we could do in that time by at least half or doubling our expense. So from a development standpoint, it just isn't a time or cost effective practice. Also, publishing design documents and concept art on the web for title that's in production is really frowned upon. :)

It just seems to me that every time they change things in the game most people are not happy about it. Thank goodness enough people stated their opinions about the former Elf hair do's because they were awful, and look what a great job the art team did of redoing them, So many ppl were happy with it.

Which actually brings me to my next point. When you have a game like UO that's near a dear to all of our hearts, everyone is going to have a different oppinion of how something should work, or what something should look like. As much as you might try, it's impossible to please everyone.

A note on the hair topic. The hair was not changed due to public outcry. The hair everyone was playing at the beginning was.. BETA art. The art on the whole had not gone through final passes. The hair was absolutely going to get changed anyway. What complaining about it DID do was move it to the front of our list. Which was just fine for us.

Now why dont they, instead of taking the time to implement all this art, why dont they take the time to put up examples of what they are thinking of implementing and then getting good honest feedback and take that into consideration. It just seems like that would save a lot of money and time for everyone, and possibly end up having a lot happier customers!
Thanks

So I think I've already addressed most of the comments in this paragragh, except to point out that this is what beta testing is all about. While we wouldn't want to post stuff to the boards, it doesn't mean that we don't get tons of feedback from players (clearly). And posting those things wouldn't mean that we'd have happier players, happier players come from us listening to you folks, implementing good ideas, and not implementing ideas that wouldn't work.

The great thing about UO is that it's not like a console title or a single player game. Things can be changed.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
-Grimm