• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Housing/Boats Distance issue with secure chests

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In a certain situation you can drag items out of a secure chest, but not put them back from the same position.
Reproduction (Classic Client):
  1. Have a row of at least 3 metal or wooden chests arranged and secured.
  2. Put something into a chest in the 3rd position.
  3. Move your character in front of the chests to the front of the first chest.
  4. Open the 3rd chest from that char position.
  5. Try to move the stuff in the chest around.
What happens is, that the item you wanted to move sticks on the cursor and cannot be put back into the same chest. You have to either move your character or drop the item into the backpack, another chest or to the ground before you can put it back into its original place.

*Salute*
Olahorand

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not really a bug. You are breaking "line of sight" to that chest. Chests and other container which block movement will do this. Essentially you are trying to place an item on the other side of the 2nd container. Containers, which do not block movement do not have this occur (bags, backpacks,etc.).

This chset layout also breaks line of sight, to the top chest. The line of sight is clearly broken. My crude diagram shows this (C=Chests, X= open tile or with non-blocking items, Y=you).
X X C X X
X X C X X
X X Y X X

If you want clear line of sight to all three chest, you must stand at the 2nd chest. My crude diagram shows this (C=Chests, X= open tile or with non-blocking items, Y=you).
C C C
X Y X

In addition, if you want clear line of sight to row of five chests, you must stand at least one tile away from the 3rd chest. My crude diagram shows this (C=Chests, X= open tile or with non-blocking items, Y=you).
C C C C C
X X X X X
X X Y X X

This is just how the game works and is nothing new. I suspect changing containers to be non-blocking would be a very messy/risky task.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Last edited:

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I second that the CC has always behaved this way. However, it might be considered a bug as the EC behaves different in this matter.

While you can grab and put items into all chests in both clients in this case:

C C C C C
X X X X X
X X Y X X

there is a difference between EC and CC in this case:

C C C C C
X X Y X X

While the EC allows you to grab and put items into all five chests, the CC only allows you to grab items from the outer red chests, but prevents you from putting anything back in there.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bug in my opinion is, that it works in one direction. (I can take things out of the chest. So if this is possible, I should do the same reverse.)

Misk

UO QA Lead
VIP
Stratics Veteran
In a certain situation you can drag items out of a secure chest, but not put them back from the same position.
While the EC allows you to grab and put items into all five chests, the CC only allows you to grab items from the outer red chests, but prevents you from putting anything back in there.
I have been unable to reproduce this issue. Does this still appear to be occurring? I have tried to reproduce the issue in a castle on one of our internal test shards as well as my own customizable house in game and I have been able to remove and place objects into the outer two chests in both the EC and the classic client.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just patched, logged in, went to a row with 3 stacks of 4 chests each (C), put my char (X) in front of the left most stack.
Opened a chest on the right stack, pulled an item from it and could not put it back.
This goes for each chest in the stack, also no difference between a North-South row or West-East. (The same in a custom building - as long as the chests are facing with the long side to the char.) So the issue is still reproducable.
CCC
CCC
CCC
CCC
X

Last edited:

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I have been unable to reproduce this issue. Does this still appear to be occurring? I have tried to reproduce the issue in a castle on one of our internal test shards as well as my own customizable house in game and I have been able to remove and place objects into the outer two chests in both the EC and the classic client.
Yes, as Olahorand wrote, this is still reproducable. I took some time to further experiment with the problem and made some screenies for what I hope can help to clarify the oddity.

Obviously, the Classic Client has two different ways of checking / calculating the line of sight: one when you grab something (which it lets you), and another when you intend to put something back into the same container, which will be denied with a clicking sound by the client itself (without sending a request for the move to the server).

If you just have a single row of 5 chests which has been placed on the floor, everything works as expected - maybe that is the setup you might have tried, Misk?
s1-00000.png

Now when you start to make stacks, thats where the oddity begins (chests are z 0, 4, 8 rel. to floor = default heights when you stack them). You can grab stuff from the outer chests marked with the red X, but you cannot put anything back in there:
s1-00000-44444-88888.png

Looks like a "3D-line-of-sight" check, but with different results for grabbing and putting (the client assumes the height of my hand as somewhere around z=10?):
s1-000n0-444n4-88888.png s1-00000-444n4-888n8.png

The line-of-sight check only denies to put something in the outer chests when the obstructing containers in column 2 + 4 are blocking containers (e.g. wooden & metal chests, baskets).

While this oddity is definitely not a game breaker, it somehow feels unlogical in the classic client. With the EC, all these chests can be fully accessed (putting & getting) from the position shown in the screenies.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great screenshots to show the issue.
(I found out, if the chests are turned with the short side to the character, putting stuff back is not blocked - maybe this was why Misk could not reproduce?)

Misk

UO QA Lead
VIP
Stratics Veteran
If you just have a single row of 5 chests which has been placed on the floor, everything works as expected - maybe that is the setup you might have tried, Misk?
Yes, this is how I was trying to reproduce the issue in my own house. And as you stated it was working as intended.

Great screenshots to show the issue.
I agree, the screenshots helped a ton and pointed out that the issue appears to only occur with stacked containers.

I am submitting a problem report into the system on the discrepancy between the classic client and the EC.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.