• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Disemvoweling

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha, I really like this idea! Perhaps it has been mentioned here before, but I ran across it late last night, for the first time.

I can just imagine some of the stratics mods, mousie weapon in hand, skillfully disemvoweling offending posts!

One way the urban dictionary defines disemvowel is:
"To remove the vowels from a piece of text as a form of censure. In order to render the piece more difficult to read. Generally done by the moderator of an online community."

I think there are lots of things in global chat that could use to be disemvoweled. :sword:

BlssMr

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
f yr hpp nd y knw t clp yr hnds *clp clp*

f yr hpp nd y knw t nd y rll wnn shw t f yr hpp nd y knw t clp yr hnds!!!

:gee:

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hh, rlly lk ths d! Prhps t hs bn mntnd hr bfr, bt rn crss t lt lst nght, fr th frst tm.

cn jst mgn sm f th strtcs mds, ms wpn n hnd, skllflly dsmvwlng ffndng psts!

n wy th rbn dctnry dfns dsmvwl s:
"T rmv th vwls frm pc f txt s frm f cnsr. n rdr t rndr th pc mr dfficlt t rd. Gnrlly dn by th mdrtr f n nln cmmnty."

thnk thr r lts f thngs n glbl cht tht cld s t b dsmvwld. :sword:

BlssMr

::giggle::

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
y is a vowel :p
But in which language?

In myth and rhyme and rhythm it is, in yellow and yodel and yesterday it's not.
But that's only in English. What is it in Danish? or German? or French?

btw 'urban dictionary' is not a recognised source of accurate information.

prooven by this entry which I believe was submitted by a Siege Perilous poster.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rather depends on whether its a written or pronounced vowel. When pronounced as [j], its not a vowel, but it is written still.

The rule is rather long and obscure...it doesn't matter and its about as useful a discussion as trying to have sex with a fly.

There's a danish saying when you're discussing little irrelevant/petty things, its called "screwing a fly"

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

hehe, that's very funny, Petra! Cool, too - you have been urbanly dictionized! (new word, yes) Your tactics have been digitally preserved and will be known 'til the end of time =)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

hehe, that's very funny, Petra! Cool, too - you have been urbanly dictionized! (new word, yes) Your tactics have been digitally preserved and will be known 'til the end of time =)
That's hilarious actually. :)

...and completely untrue...

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I know $21.95 is a bit much for a coffee mug, but you should have one of those made. That's just hilarious.

f yr hpp nd y knw t nd y rll wnn shw t f yr hpp nd y knw t clp yr hnds!!!

:gee:
It took me a minute, but with the help of my trusty batman decoder ring I was able to crack the code. *clp clp*

B

Beer_Cayse

The way I learned it was vowels are a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y. The "sometimes" is when it is typically the first letter of a word - as shown in the examples. Thus RaDian is correct.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I learned it was vowels are a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y. The "sometimes" is when it is typically the first letter of a word - as shown in the examples. Thus RaDian is correct.
a,e,i,o,u = vowels.

y = not a vowel.

B

Beastmaster

Old School = vowels are a, e, i, o, u and sometimes y and w.

Say it out loud, it rhymes.

B

Beer_Cayse

Oxford Dictionaries (paragraphing only to make it more clear) says:
Is the letter Y a vowel or a consonant?

The letter Y can be regarded as both a vowel and a consonant. In terms of sound, a vowel is 'a speech sound which is produced by comparatively open configuration of the vocal tract, with vibration of the vocal cords but without audible friction...', while a consonant is 'a basic speech sound in which the breath is at least partly obstructed'.

The letter Y can be used to represent different sounds in different words, and can therefore fit either definition. In myth or hymn it's clearly a vowel, and also in words such as my, where it stands for a diphthong (a combination of two vowel sounds). On the other hand, in a word like beyond there is an obstacle to the breath which can be heard between two vowels, and the same sound begins words like young and yes. (This consonant sound, like that of the letter W, is sometimes called a 'semivowel' because it is made in a similar way to a vowel, but functions in contrast to vowels when used in words.)

Whether the letter Y is a vowel or a consonant is therefore rather an arbitrary decision. The letter is probably more often used as a vowel, but in this role it's often interchangeable with the letter I. However, the consonant sound is not consistently represented in English spelling by any other letter, and perhaps for this reason Y tends traditionally to be counted among the consonants.
Linky.

At Ask Answers (this link) you will find these two snippets for the question "When is Y a vowel?" and I have included the misspelling of "vowel' as 'vowell':
Glad you asked...
A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y is a saying that is taught in elementary school when learning the vowels. Y is a vowel when the word doesn't contain an A, E, I, O or U like in the word sky.
Then again, this answer might help you...
Well, vowells are actually sounds not letters and when a letter makes the sound of a vowell, it can then be a vowell. "Y" is usually a vowell when it sounds like"i", as in the word "try".
Thus it can be either vowel or consonant - based on usage. Thus it is not explicitly either.

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oxford Dictionaries (paragraphing only to make it more clear) says:
... Thus it can be either vowel or consonant - based on usage. Thus it is not explicitly either.

Thr r, br_cs - gttng n trbl gn. nd r vwls! tsk, tsk!

BlissMarie
Hmm... I think this works. Do you think he can tell I was fussing at him? I think I'm safe. =)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But in which language?

In myth and rhyme and rhythm it is, in yellow and yodel and yesterday it's not.
But that's only in English. What is it in Danish? or German? or French?

Actually that's pretty dead-on.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if you take away the vowels from Poo your left only with P

(say it out loud and youll get a laugh)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[youtube]WZ-1DYwaxrE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]_09tHIeiBnI&feature=related[/youtube]

Ok which is right? lol We as humans sometimes makes things harder then they should be :bdh:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Aran
Your opinion has been noted and allocated its usual value.
Thank you.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all this vowel discussion makes me feel like I'm back in grammar school.

I mean:
ll ths vwl dscssn mks m fl lk 'm bck n grmmr schl.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For anyone who might be (vaguely) interested. My fridge magnet just arrived.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
:) Fuzzy, but I guess it will do. Oddly enough, it looks like a fridge magnet...

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For anyone who might be (vaguely) interested. My fridge magnet just arrived.
Nice, Petra! I'm glad you ordered it. It will probably bring you many smiles.
That wasn't a bad delivery time for a personalized item.

BlissMarie